Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

The correct self-contained ST TNG episode

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:46 am

is Darmok.

I say "self-contained" as distinct from two- or three-parters, like Gambit or Chain of Command.

Come to think of it I don't really remember Gambit, but Chain of Command was awesome.

But not self-contained.

:boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

Tugger

Re: The correct self-contained ST TNG episode

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 am

Airstud wrote:
is Darmok.

At Tanagra!

Sokath, his eyes open:

"The Inner Light"

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

vikkyvik

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:57 pm

The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1

:biggrin:
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

desertjets

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:34 pm

Yesterday's Enterprise... hands down
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

casinterest

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Yesterday's Enterprise would be mine, but I also like Cause and Effect The one where Kelsey Grammer was the other captain.
Where ever you go, there you are.

trpmb6

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Yesterday's Enterprise gets my vote as well. It's one of my favorite interpretations of time travel and the butterfly effect, and overlaying of time. (Instead of each decision creating an alternate timeline there exists only one timeline and changing something in the past instantaneously changes everything in the present/future)

aeromoe

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Ship In A Bottle...it was literally self-contained.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(1) BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

ChrisKen

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Encounter at Farpoint. It went downhill from there.

DocLightning

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 pm

You misspelled "The Chase."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Channex757

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:15 pm

"The Inner Light"

This showed just how talented Patrick Stewart is. The way he portrayed a man through his entire life, then the return to Picard with all the consequences of having lived a second life, was sublime acting. This is often (rightly) quoted as being the highpoint of TNG, together with "Darmok".

Tugger

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:55 pm

Now while "Inner Light' is a different league, I'll add "Parallels" as one I just like. (I mean how can you not like infinite Enterprises?)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 pm

I'd have to go with "Yesterday's Enterprise" as well, although I never got why they ditched the department shirts under the "monster maroon" uniforms from the movies.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tommy1808

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Yesterday's Enterprise gets my vote as well. It's one of my favorite interpretations of time travel and the butterfly effect, and overlaying of time. (Instead of each decision creating an alternate timeline there exists only one timeline and changing something in the past instantaneously changes everything in the present/future)

Funny enough, in ENT "E squared" the crew only entertained that possibility, and dismissed it, at the end of the episode.

Nonetheless, one of the better rehashes of an old storyline in Enterprise, as a different take on yesterday's Enterprise.

Best regards
Thomad
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 am

DocLightning wrote:

The Doctor, his tastes impugned.
Pancakes are delicious.

T18

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:57 pm

I would argue that most TNG episodes (essp before the launch of DS9) were self-contained as the series was (like TOS) primarily an anthology where few events had lasting impacts although there are some very notable exceptions like Picards Borg stuff and La Forges thing with Dr. Brahms that starts in Booby Trap (which is a great episode IMHO).
Either way one of my favorites has got to be S5 E19 The First Duty oddly one of the few Wes Episodes that I enjoy, maybe part of that is the investigation drama and part of it is seeing Wesley as something but the perfect wunderkind that Gene had made him at the start and is one of the reasons many viewers find him easy to hate if you ask me. Also special shout out to Not Tom Paris in that episode.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Flighty

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:58 am

Here’s my contribution to this thread. The correct self contained TNg episode was not The Naked Now.

apodino

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Is of course the Drumhead. Lots of things in this episode that are very similar to events in our world today. Plus Jean Simmons was amazing as Norah Satie.

DocLightning

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

*projection begins*
I'm wondering who you are, and why you have chosen "Darmok." How it has come that you post here, a poster born so long ago.

Intelligence and good taste flared in your mind, before all others in this part of the internet. You left your cyberspace and explored the site, but you found none like yourselves. Your taste thrived for a few years, but what is the life of such things compared with the vast stretches of a lifetime?

We knew that one day your good taste would be gone, that nothing of it would survive. So, I arrived.

I proposed a better episode and scattered it across a few different posts. My persuasive powers contained a message scattered in fragments on these posts directing your taste towards a more correct taste resembling mine. It was my hope that I might be able to save you from your incorrectitude. But since you have posted, my hope has not been fulfilled. You are not a monument to my taste...or to good taste.

That was our wish. That you, too, would know a good ST:TNG episode and would keep alive its memory. But there is no such hope in you. Remember that.

*projection ends*
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Tugger

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

*projection begins*
I'm wondering who you are, and why you have chosen "Darmok." How it has come that you post here, a poster born so long ago.

Intelligence and good taste flared in your mind, before all others in this part of the internet. You left your cyberspace and explored the site, but you found none like yourselves. Your taste thrived for a few years, but what is the life of such things compared with the vast stretches of a lifetime?

We knew that one day your good taste would be gone, that nothing of it would survive. So, I arrived.

I proposed a better episode and scattered it across a few different posts. My persuasive powers contained a message scattered in fragments on these posts directing your taste towards a more correct taste resembling mine. It was my hope that I might be able to save you from your incorrectitude. But since you have posted, my hope has not been fulfilled. You are not a monument to my taste...or to good taste.

That was our wish. That you, too, would know a good ST:TNG episode and would keep alive its memory. But there is no such hope in you. Remember that.

*projection ends*

OK, you're right, there are five lights.....

Tugg

DocLightning

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:06 pm

Tugger wrote:
OK, you're right, there are five lights.....

Tugg

-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:18 pm

DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

*projection begins*

*projection ends*

Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:58 pm

Airstud wrote:

I won! :D
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:49 am

DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I'm OK with that as long as you don't try to take credit for having coined "incorrectitude."
Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:48 am

Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:

I'm OK with that as long as you don't try to take credit for having coined "incorrectitude."

I coined that word billions of years before life evolved on your planet. :old:
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

aeromoe

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:43 am

Airstud wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Yeah well hardly anyone uses "then" and "than" correctly on social media...
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(1) BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

1989worstyear

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:46 am

I always seem to think of this show and the Enterprise D whenever I fly on an A320. It's the same feeling I get when I get on a 767 and think of Wrath of Khan and the refit Enterprise. Probably the cheesy dated 1987 Airbus interiors.
¥
Back to topic - either "Yesterday's Enterprise" or "Parallels". I remember crying as a 5/6 year old when the Enterprise D was trashed in "Generations" lol.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

T18

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm not sure Yesterdays Enterprise can be called self contained, you really need to have been watching from Season 1 for the Yar arc to mean as much as it should. It also then comes back many times down the road with Commander Sela.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

DIRECTFLT

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:58 am

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

aeromoe

Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 am

I already stated it: Ship In A Bottle. Done. Finished.

Bostrom

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Any episode with Q.