Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanrap1
Topic Author

Question Regarding Male Product Recommendations

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm

Good Afternoon All,

I am a 30 year old white male, looking for some product recommendations, really just others inputs on a couple of the following matters:

(1) I am looking for a couple products that maybe someone has tried and seems to work well as far as face mask, exfoliation, and/or anti aging creams that wont break the bank.
I just want some maintenance products to keep looking as young as I can.

(2) Has anyone tried the dollar shave club? How do you like it?

(3) Has anyone tried or know of a male anti balding product that they have seen hair regrowth with? There seems to be so many scams its hard to know what is real and not?

(4) Any new cologne recommendations? I used to wear some going out type cologne, or "clubbing" cologne but haven't tried anything new in ages.

Thanks!
Ryan

OA412

Re: Question Regarding Male Product Recommendations

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

I used to use a lot of the products you could buy at Department Stores. Jack Black was a favorite. I like them, but I really don't see such a huge difference between those products and what you can get at Target/Walmart, etc., so now I just use those products because they are generally far cheaper than what you would pay at Macy's or Nordstrom. And honestly, I don't bother with stuff that's specifically marketed to men. There's usually little to no difference, other than scent and "not feeling girly" with respect to the stuff marketed to women. I use Olay complete moisturizer every day. It can sometimes be tough to find, but I've been very happy with Queen Helene's mint julep mask. Both products retail below $10. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, check out their personal care section. They have a lot of really great products at affordable prices.

With respect to balding products, I honestly don't think there's anything out there that isn't snake oil. I started balding in high school. It was a really gradual process for me, but it also never bothered me. Funny enough, it bothered other people more than me, who were all to eager to offer advice. I couldn't care less. I shaved it all off a few years ago, and I haven't looked back.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

trpmb6

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:22 pm

1. I use St. Ives Exfoliating Face Washes - Usually rotate through different kinds. They aren't exactly "Male" products. I find them to be gender neutral imo. The aromas are not overwhelming. Quite pleasant usually.

2. I think Dollar Shave Club is another money making scheme. (Obviously they are making a profit or they wouldn't be in business) I prefer to use a straight razor when I want a clean shave. It takes a lot of patience and practice, but it's so gratifying when finished. That being said, I normally sport a 5 O'clock shadow every day and just keep it trimmed very short.

3. I am not quite concerned in this department yet. Both sides of my family have receding hairlines, though mine is not terrible. I think in the future I'll just sport the Jason Statham look. .. Now I can just get the rest of the look figured out :rotfl:

4. I don't wear cologne so cannot advise in this case. I have a bottle from American Eagle from 15 years ago that I received as a gift. worn it maybe a dozen times.

Best of luck.

desertjets

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:49 pm

For #4 -- back when I used to follow the other half to the mall and would get bored in Sephora my two favorite male colognes were Yves Saint Laurant pour l'homme and Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue for men. Both are nice, subtle, warm scents that are not overly musky. Though I think they should just make a nice cologne for men that smells like Gain -- my GF would probably be all over me because of that.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

trpmb6

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:13 pm

desertjets wrote:
Though I think they should just make a nice cologne for men that smells like Gain -- my GF would probably be all over me because of that.

Lol. "Did you just pull this out of the wash! You smell great!" <walks away grinning knowing he just pulled that shirt out of the hamper>

TSS

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:37 pm

ryanrap1 wrote:
(1) I am looking for a couple products that maybe someone has tried and seems to work well as far as face mask, exfoliation, and/or anti aging creams that wont break the bank.

I will refer you to one of my 72 year old Mom's favorite quotes on this subject- "I've tried 'em all over the years, and if 10% of them worked even half as well as advertised I wouldn't look a day over 15 right now". Basically they're all BS long term although a few may work short term, as in for 24-48 hours.

That being said, Trpmb6's recommendation of St. Ives Exfoliating Face Washes specifically, and by association St. Ives products in general, is a good one because they work as well as anything else including products costing several times as much, they're inexpensive, and most of them are available at your local chain pharmacy.

ryanrap1 wrote:

Barbasol and Bic Disposables for me, mate. I have a thick beard composed of individually thick beard hairs and the Bics are easy to clean when they become clogged with hair… usually after every stroke.

ryanrap1 wrote:
(3) Has anyone tried or know of a male anti balding product that they have seen hair regrowth with? There seems to be so many scams its hard to know what is real and not?

Rogain apparently does really work to an extent, but may also have unwanted side effects. Anything that doesn't have the same active ingredient in it as Rogain is most likely malarkey in a drum.

ryanrap1 wrote:
(4) Any new cologne recommendations? I used to wear some going out type cologne, or "clubbing" cologne but haven't tried anything new in ages.

Cologne is an intensely personal thing and what smells great on me might stink on you and vice-versa. You've gotta do it by trial and error: At a cologne counter, find two different scents you like and spray one on each wrist. Give them 15 minutes or more to "settle in" and do whatever reacting they're going to do with your personal body chemistry, then smell them again. Usually a clear victor will emerge right away. You may need to do this a few times to find "The One". Something else I did that is situationally dependent and may not work for everyone (I worked at a place with a cologne counter and a lot of both male and female coworkers) is get the people with whom you are friendly and you find most attractive to tell you which of the cologne finalists in the comparison they like best on you.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Ken777

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 pm

I use Obsession because that is the one my wife prefers. (I'm not stupid, which is why we reach 50 years in April). The other thing I like about Obsession is they have a balm type aftershave that I really like. In addition to using on the shaved area I use it all over my face as it's a good conditioner.

For shaving I go with the multi-blade Gillette. It has 5 or 6 blades and actually vibrates when the battery is fresh. All I want is a good, comfortable shave and this works.

In terms of anti-aging I remember Doris Day many years ago saying how she uses petroleum jelly on her face and hands every night. Worked for her - I guess.

From an old mans perspective I think you age better if you pass up things that can really age you. No smoking, VERY easy on the booze, stay out of the sun and use protective creams when you do go out. Eat wisely and exercise. That kind of stuff. your face in 40 or 50 years will thank you.

Pyrex

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:08 pm

Luckily most of the male product recommendations I get are blocked by my spam filter, so don't have many to share.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Ken777

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm

I use Obsession because that is the one my wife prefers. (I'm not stupid, which is why we reach 50 years in April). The other thing I like about Obsession is they have a balm type aftershave that I really like. In addition to using on the shaved area I use it all over my face as it's a good conditioner.

For shaving I go with the multi-blade Gillette. It has 5 or 6 blades and actually vibrates when the battery is fresh. All I want is a good, comfortable shave and this works.

In terms of anti-aging I remember Doris Day many years ago saying how she uses petroleum jelly on her face and hands every night. Worked for her - I guess.

From an old mans perspective I think you age better if you pass up things that can really age you. No smoking, VERY easy on the booze, stay out of the sun and use protective creams when you do go out. Eat wisely and exercise. That kind of stuff. your face in 40 or 50 years will thank you.

SOBHI51

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Will answer 3 of your questions, as for balding hair, well i am also loosing my hair and nothing helps.
1) Sephora face masks are great, my daughter convinced to use them i am happy with them.
2) i have been a Gillette man since my first shave and will not change now after 50 years.
4) Red Polo and Versace Eros are the way to go for men cologne.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

afcjets

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 am

ryanrap1 wrote:
Good Afternoon All,

I am a 30 year old white male, looking for some product recommendations, really just others inputs on a couple of the following matters:

Looking young is way more about diet and lifestyle than any cream. Sugar damages collagen and alcohol damages the skin too (aside from dehydration), although red wine has antioxidants and resveratrol, which is anti-aging but perhaps doesn't have enough. Never eat processed food. You can spike HGH which is the fountain of youth hormone via diet manipulation and exercise (especially HIIT) and via intermittent fasting, which is totally doable. A lot of ingredients in anti-aging products actually age the skin. Taking food grade diatomaceous earth is dirt cheap and its number one ingredient is silica, after a couple of days you will tell a difference in your skin looking younger. It is very good for you too and can help with your muscles and joints and it gets rid of parasites.

Too much sun is bad but so are chemical sunscreens, many in the US are banned in Europe they are so toxic and carcinogenic, and chemical sunscreens actually age the skin. Only use a natural or physical sunscreen (active ingredient zinc oxide or titanium dioxide). Unprotected sun at first causes you to release antioxidants which protects the skin but after awhile (10-20 minutes of summer sun for most white people depending on skin tone), it gets overwhelmed and then you start damaging the skin.

ryanrap1 wrote:
2) Has anyone tried the dollar shave club? How do you like it?

Yes it was okay. The best razor is Schick Hyrdo 5 trust me. (not the one for sensitive skin though unless you need it). One blade will last a full month, Schick even advertises that now.

ryanrap1 wrote:

I wouldn't pay for a product for that, natural remedies are way cheaper and usually more effective, just go on YouTube and read the comments to find out where people got results. I would avoid the videos with electronic voices though, their remedies don't have a great track record, they are are just massive content producers.

DL717

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:45 am

ryanrap1 wrote:
Good Afternoon All,

Thanks!
Ryan

Wash with Lava, get a straight razor, shave your head, and throw on some old spice. Forget clubbing. Find a sit down bar, drink some jack and call it a night. Maybe you even get lucky.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

seb146

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:23 am

ryanrap1 wrote:
Good Afternoon All,

Ah, yes.... Some men who turn 30 go through some mental thing for some reason.

Stay out of direct sunlight for long periods. And drink water. However much water you drink, drink more. Creams don't work, generally. I use apricot scrub. Also, your hair has some to do with it. Color, especially. I color my hair close to my natural color instead of bleach or some stark color.

I have not but I have heard good things, so take that for what you will.

Don't bother. You need to use those products every day and results are not guaranteed. I take a fish oil supplement. It is not fast but it actually is good.

Some people are allergic to cologne. Try not to use a lot of it. Go to a store like Macy's and try a few.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

cpd

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:30 am

The best razor is a double edged safety razor with those Japanese Feather blades. Forget those million bladed supermarket specials.

You can also try the old straight edge razor too.

L410Turbolet

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 am

ryanrap1 wrote:

The best anti-balding product is to man up and face the inevitable. Balding, just like aging should be done with grace.

mbmbos

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:13 pm

I am picky about colognes, and I find most department store designer brands tend to use one of three major amplifiers; they end up smelling too "loud," and they never seem to metabolize and complement the body's natural smell, which is what cologne is supposed to do.

I would recommend you try one of the old fashioned apothecaries on the market. Take a look a Caswell Massey, an apothecary company that has been around for a couple of hundred years. I use their sandalwood cologne, which has a nice, soapy & woody scent without making me smell like a hippie. They have some other lovely scents too. They blend with your own chemistry and are never too strong.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

trpmb6

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm

cpd wrote:

You can also try the old straight edge razor too.

I was always afraid to try a straight razor. Last year a buddy of mine got me one as a gift. Haven't looked back sense. Closest shave I've ever been able to get outside a barber shop.

Jouhou

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:40 am

ryanrap1 wrote:
Good Afternoon All,

Thanks!
Ryan

Female here, but skin advice applies to males too.

A.) Diet is the most important part of keeping skin young and healthy. Eat healthy, if you want, take supplements of vitamins C and Biotin, which are water soluble and excess will safely pass from your body. Make sure you are getting enough zinc, but I don't recommend supplementing except in a multi-vitamin because your body needs to keep zinc in balance with copper to stay healthy, it's an easy mineral to overdo.

B.) I highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/Alba-Botanica-Ha ... B0058WABXG for a facial treatment. It contains the Enzyme Papain, aka "Papaya Enzyme", also used as meat tenderiser. Why would you want to put meat tenderiser on your face? Because it functions by breaking down dead tissue, so when you apply it to your face it will dissolve excess dead skin and leave newer, more radiant skin on the surface. (Seriously, try this particular brand, it makes your skin feel so much smoother)

Also skin aging is from the breakdown of collagen and elasticin, so it can't really be stopped or reversed as your body ages and starts sucking at producing these things, but you can use your diet to optimize your bodies production of these. Hence the emphasis on dietary advice.

There's nothing wrong with baldness. It looks perfectly sexy on a man as long as you wear it with confidence and don't try doing weird attempts to cover it.

As for colognes, there's certain scents I love but I don't know what they are because it's kinda awkward to tell random dudes they smell good to find out what they are wearing. I do know I like nautica.
情報

TSS

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:49 am

Jouhou wrote:
There's nothing wrong with baldness. It looks perfectly sexy on a man as long as you wear it with confidence and don't try doing weird attempts to cover it.

True, and facial hair on a bald man makes a dramatic positive difference.

Jouhou wrote:
As for colognes, there's certain scents I love but I don't know what they are because it's kinda awkward to tell random dudes they smell good to find out what they are wearing.

Why is it awkward? There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying to a stranger "Excuse me, what cologne is that you're wearing? It smells great". Of course it doesn't hurt to let them see you write down whatever they told you afterwards so they don't think you had a hidden agenda in speaking to them.

Back to the "Trial & Error" method of cologne selection versus specific brand recommendations: I had narrowed my choices down to two which to me smelled almost the same. My female coworkers LOVED brand "A" on me but did not like brand "B" at all, whereas my male coworkers universally liked brand "B" but were more or less ambivalent to brand "A". I would not have expected opinions to be so polarized or so clear-cut into two distinct groups, but they were, and that told me exactly which cologne to buy.

I reiterate: Cologne is a very personal thing and what smells great on any one of us might stink to high heaven on the OP and vice versa. He's gonna have to try several to find out what smells best on him.

Jouhou

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 am

TSS wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Jouhou wrote:
As for colognes, there's certain scents I love but I don't know what they are because it's kinda awkward to tell random dudes they smell good to find out what they are wearing.

Why is it awkward? There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying to a stranger "Excuse me, what cologne is that you're wearing? It smells great". Of course it doesn't hurt to let them see you write down whatever they told you afterwards so they don't think you had a hidden agenda in speaking to them.

Back to the "Trial & Error" method of cologne selection versus specific brand recommendations: I had narrowed my choices down to two which to me smelled almost the same. My female coworkers LOVED brand "A" on me but did not like brand "B" at all, whereas my male coworkers universally liked brand "B" but were more or less ambivalent to brand "A". I would not have expected opinions to be so polarized or so clear-cut into two distinct groups, but they were, and that told me exactly which cologne to buy.

I reiterate: Cologne is a very personal thing and what smells great on any one of us might stink to high heaven on the OP and vice versa. He's gonna have to try several to find out what smells best on him.

Studies have shown men tend to select scents they prefer, and thus what other men prefer, rather than what women prefer. And vice versa. It's best to ask a woman what smells best on you if you're trying to smell nice for ladies. If you want to smell nice to other men, well I guess the task is much simpler.

Hormones impact ones sense of smell so women do smell things differently and often more intensely than men do.
情報

trpmb6

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:52 pm

I view perfume/cologne/makeup/hair pieces all the same. Why try and cover up who you really are.

OA412

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:34 pm

TSS wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

As a bald man sporting a beard, I couldn't agree more. :sly: But seriously, it really does make a positive difference. Bald men look great with facial hair.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

trpmb6

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:09 pm

OA412 wrote:
TSS wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

As a bald man sporting a beard, I couldn't agree more. :sly: But seriously, it really does make a positive difference. Bald men look great with facial hair.

The correct comb over is:

TSS

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I view perfume/cologne/makeup/hair pieces all the same. Why try and cover up who you really are.

Agreed, with one minor exception: A little bit of the right cologne now and again is an enhancement, not a coverup.

I'll add the shaving (not minor trimming if and as needed, but full-on shaving/waxing) of any body part below the neck to that list as well. If you're hairy, and chances are that if the OP is concerned about balding, he is, be hairy and proud of it! :thumbsup:

Jouhou wrote:
Studies have shown men tend to select scents they prefer, and thus what other men prefer, rather than what women prefer. And vice versa. It's best to ask a woman what smells best on you if you're trying to smell nice for ladies. If you want to smell nice to other men, well I guess the task is much simpler.

Hormones impact ones sense of smell so women do smell things differently and often more intensely than men do.

Exactly.

trpmb6

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:32 pm

TSS wrote:
be hairy and proud of it! :thumbsup:

Haha, that reminds me of my uncle. In the 70's he said he used to shave his chest and swears up and down that he is paying for it now. The man's chest is a proverbial carpet. Could make a vest out of it. He's proud of it now as he is, in fact, nearly completely bald. :mrgreen:

TSS

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:53 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
TSS wrote:
be hairy and proud of it! :thumbsup:

Haha, that reminds me of my uncle. In the 70's he said he used to shave his chest and swears up and down that he is paying for it now. The man's chest is a proverbial carpet. Could make a vest out of it. He's proud of it now as he is, in fact, nearly completely bald. :mrgreen:

Yep, fur OR carpet feels better than stubble all day every day. :yes:

trpmb6

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:06 pm

TSS wrote:
Yep, fur OR carpet feels better than stubble all day every day. :yes:

And less ingrown hairs :crazy:

jetwet1

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:28 am

ryanrap1 wrote:

Thanks!
Ryan

(1) I was given a moisturizer by VoilaVe, Coconut one, I have to say it is excellent, I doubt very much it will help with aging, that's just part of getting older.

(2) Sure, I use them every day, are they the best blades ever, nope, have I managed to cut myself with them, nope, I pay $6 a month to have 4 blades delivered to my door, the price point is good, the product is good.

Aesma

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:49 pm

I started losing hair in my teens. I tried minoxidil but putting that nasty stuff on my head was too much trouble. I took propecia for a couple of years, it slowed down the process, but in the end was too expensive for the result I was getting.

Now propecia is accused of causing depression and suicidal thoughts, I had those at the time, so I wouldn't recommend that product.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

snasteve

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:41 am

mbmbos wrote:
I am picky about colognes, and I find most department store designer brands tend to use one of three major amplifiers; they end up smelling too "loud," and they never seem to metabolize and complement the body's natural smell, which is what cologne is supposed to do.

I would recommend you try one of the old fashioned apothecaries on the market. Take a look a Caswell Massey, an apothecary company that has been around for a couple of hundred years. I use their sandalwood cologne, which has a nice, soapy & woody scent without making me smell like a hippie. They have some other lovely scents too. They blend with your own chemistry and are never too strong.

I like the YSL, they are quite nice and a mild woody scent too. Fades fast though so good if you tend to overspray. Worst Colognes are also the most expensive oil based ($300+). People apply them like the water based forgetting they don't fade until it's washed off. I fear ever taking EK from LAX to DXB. With my luck I'll get stuck in the back next to the guy with too much oil base. I probably would lose at the last hour and wind up on the no fly list. :crowded: :irked: