Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

desertjets
Topic Author

The Correct self contained Star Trek DS9 episode

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Since we all know that DS9 is the correct ST series I thought we give this one some discussion. Which self-contained episode from this series -- and for DS9 this is very hard as it was very serialized and there are several major story arcs out there so excellent episodes such as In the Pale Moonlight would not qualify.

So my vote goes for Far Beyond the Stars. Excellent episode and I think the best part is seeing the regulars and the regular extras who normally wear about 10 pounds worth of prosthetics as normal humans.

And of course there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

EA CO AS

Re: The Correct self contained Star Trek DS9 episode

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:24 pm

None, DS9 was the worst of the TNG-era series.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Olddog

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:26 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

:checkmark:
Signature censored

TSS

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:40 pm

Olddog wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

:checkmark:

Agreed, aside from other problems I found listening to Avery Brooks (Captain Sisco) carefully over-pronounce every word he said tedious, but it did still have it's moments. Perhaps my favorite line from any TV show ever is as follows-

Odo- "What kind of sycophant are you?!?"

Bat-like alien whose name I forget- (Gazes at Odo with nauseating devotion) "What kind of sycophant do you want me to be?"

Unfortunately that exchange was from a multi-episode story and does not qualify, but it still brings a grin to my face and is worth sharing.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

T18

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:41 pm

I don't know maybe the one where they play baseball against those Vulcans. Take Me Out to the Holosuite
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

desertjets
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:45 pm

I didn't realize the hate for DS9 -- I thought the correct hated series was Voyager (though it is probably Discovery these days) amongst ST fanboys. I get the whole mostly being confined to a space station basically throws the whole trekking thing out the airlock and in many ways it tossed out the Roddenberry sense of utopia as well (there is a great scene between Quark and Garak and a bottle of root beer on this). And it is almost impossible to replicate the chemistry the core TNG cast had (and still has). but what I am trying to say is DS9 ain't so bad.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

EA CO AS

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm

desertjets wrote:
I didn't realize the hate for DS9 -- I thought the correct hated series was Voyager (though it is probably Discovery these days) amongst ST fanboys. I get the whole mostly being confined to a space station basically throws the whole trekking thing out the airlock and in many ways it tossed out the Roddenberry sense of utopia as well (there is a great scene between Quark and Garak and a bottle of root beer on this). And it is almost impossible to replicate the chemistry the core TNG cast had (and still has). but what I am trying to say is DS9 ain't so bad.

On the contrary, I'd put Voyager right up there with TNG. DS9 was just ridiculous though, especially the whole "Sisko is a prophet for some weird gods" thing. Blecchh...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

T18

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:44 pm

And here I thought the worst Trek was TAS.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

apodino

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:26 am

The House of Quark....loved seeing a Ferengi go before the Klingon High Council.