Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

4engines4lnghll
Topic Author

A Star is Born Opening Weekend

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Are any of you going to see it? It seems to be all the rave and is already drawing Oscar predictions.

Gaga looks and sounds amazing in her major motion picture debut as well as Bradley directing a huge film like this. (I believe its his first)

the song "Shallow" is great. I will definitely be downloading the soundtrack.
4engines4lnghll

mbmbos

Re: A Star is Born Opening Weekend

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:10 pm

When I read that "A Star is Born" was being remade for the second time I thought, "Oh God, the movie wasn't great the first time around, nor the second." But with all the rave reviews I think I'm going to have to see it. Sounds like the film gets a thumbs up from you.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

NIKV69

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Not a Gaga fan I think she benefits from the payola and the constant press she gets. She isn't a great actress and not a great singer. She does know hot to market herself though.
I am the Googlizer!!!

4engines4lnghll
Topic Author

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:32 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Not a Gaga fan I think she benefits from the payola and the constant press she gets. She isn't a great actress and not a great singer. She does know hot to market herself though.

I think Tony Bennet and many other legends would beg to differ. Have you not watched her live?
4engines4lnghll

ChrisKen

Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
and not a great singer. She does know hot to market herself though.

I'm loathed to admit it as I can't stand the 'theatrics' surrounding her act but having seen her perform live (headlining a festival), singing her 'hits', a wide selection of pared down & jazz numbers, the woman can indeed sing and sing very well indeed.

seb146

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:57 pm

I have never seen the other two versions of the movie so I have nothing to compare it to. I love her singing and she does have stage presence. She knows how to work and how to entertain. It would probably be a good movie. I am waiting for Bohemian Rhapsody.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

wingman

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm not a big fan of her music but the girl definitely has lungs and full musical chops, no doubt about that. And Bradley Cooper is easily the biggest talent in Hollywood right now. I saw a movie of his where he plays a pissed off raccoon and he nailed it, I couldn't tell it was him at all. So if you can write, direct and pass yourself off as a rodent or a rock star I don't know how you beat that. I predict mega box office.

DL717

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:40 am

I wonder if anyone in Hollywood has an original thought anymore. How many remakes will we have to endure?
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:12 am

Gaga has tainted herself. She's been all over the map. So I pass. But hey, IF it's worth it's salt, it'll be good whenever I get around to seeing it, 5-10 years from now.... Still getting over the Streisand/Kristofferson imagery.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:14 am

DL717 wrote:
I wonder if anyone in Hollywood has an original thought anymore. How many remakes will we have to endure?

Should they?

Lots.

It's possible to make a smart movie. But it's not what people want. I'm not thrilled about the state of affairs or anything, but there wouldn't be nineteen more comic books movies coming out if people were into high quality cinema.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."