Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trpmb6
Topic Author

FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:15 pm

It appears the FDA is finally on board with what most sane American's already knew, that Black Licorice is garbage.

The FDA has issued warnings ahead of Halloween about black licorice which may result in a decrease in potassium levels after consumption.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... f625c35ff3

So it seems that Black Licorice is NOT the correct Licorice. So what is?

desertjets

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Red vines since Twizzlers are trash.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

TSS

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 am

desertjets wrote:

For my part, agreed, but if I'm not imagining it I seem to remember reading that there is actually a specific gene that controls whether one finds black licorice palatable or not which would seem to explain why everyone either likes it or hates it but no-one is indifferent to it.

trpmb6 wrote:
Red vines since Twizzlers are trash.

I'm not a fan of Twizzlers and I've never tried the Red Vines brand. I do like the old-school red licorice whips, the ones that looked like an extremely long single strand of red spaghetti, but I haven't seen any for sale in years. I got a hankerin' for some not too long ago and wound up going on a mini quest for them, but to no avail.

The tin-foil-hat-wearing side of me wonders if real licorice whips were outlawed because some idiot somewhere managed to strangle themselves with one and the +/- 100 year history of millions of people eating them without incident got ignored.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

DocLightning

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:21 am

You have to eat a *LOT* of it, in which case you probably deserve what you get. Yuck.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Airstud

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:46 am

And the big scary consequence is (Bach organ fugue) ....decreased potassium levels.

Is that not something that can be remedied by eating a couple of bananas?
Pancakes are delicious.

scbriml

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 am

So let me make sure I've got this right...

Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go? :spin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 am

#blackliquoricematters
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

trpmb6
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 pm

This thread has not disappointed :lol:

marcelh

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
It appears the FDA is finally on board with what most sane American's already knew, that Black Licorice is garbage.

The FDA has issued warnings ahead of Halloween about black licorice which may result in a decrease in potassium levels after consumption.

Dutch salt licorice is the correct licorice

BartSimpson

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Licorice comes in a different colour than black?

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:25 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Hopefully the long-overdue warning simply states that black licorice is disgusting, and no one should eat it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

TSS

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 pm

scbriml wrote:

Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go? :spin:

Yep. Sadly, the Black Licorice and Kinder Egg lobbies are both woefully underfunded.

marcelh wrote:

I've not tried that but I have had Salmiakki, which I assume is the Finnish version of same. I have to admit the flavor of whatever the Finns add to their black licorice that tastes like how an erupting volcano smells does make it much less objectionable than regular black licorice.

trpmb6
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm

TSS wrote:
I've not tried that but I have had Salmiakki, which I assume is the Finnish version of same. I have to admit the flavor of whatever the Finns add to their black licorice that tastes like how an erupting volcano smells does make it much less objectionable than regular black licorice.

Yeah... that just makes me less likely to try it now.

TSS

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Yeah... that just makes me less likely to try it now.

It's definitely an acquired taste. I tried it because it was a gift from a well-intentioned Finnish friend. He mentioned one of the things he missed most from home was salmiakki, so I asked what that was and what it tasted like. A week or so later he got a care package from his Mom that included some and he insisted that I try it… right in front of him, so I couldn't in good conscience spit it out. If you're fond of strong, savory flavors it's not bad once you get over the initial shock, but to be clear there is also no danger of me now going out and buying a washtub full of the stuff, either.

I looked it up and the "volcano" flavor comes from ammonium chloride.

WIederling

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Licorice comes in a different colour than black?

In America everything is possible. :-)

Any chance the additives ( like modified starch ) are the culprit?
Murphy is an optimist

DocLightning

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Airstud wrote:
And the big scary consequence is (Bach organ fugue) ....decreased potassium levels.

Is that not something that can be remedied by eating a couple of bananas?

Not if it gets critically low. Your heart can stop.
WIederling wrote:

No, there's a specific chemical found in black licorice called glycyrrhizin that prevents potassium reuptake in the kidney. We learned about it in med school.

BUT... the risk is greatest for people over 40 who eat more than 2oz of NATURAL black licorice a day for over two weeks. This is a pretty unusual phenomenon. I've never seen it and I don't know anyone who has seen it.

scbriml wrote:
Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go?

If you understood the way in which rBST is used and what its effects are, you probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

The chlorine dioxide washes used in chicken (which is then rinsed out) reduces salmonella carriage from 14% to 2%. You don't want salmonella. You eat trace bleach all the time. Restaurants wash their plates and cutting boards with it, too. Don't panic.

As for Kinder eggs, yeah, I agree the ban is stupid.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ER757

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 pm

marcelh wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

No sir - it was a trick question, there is no correct licorice - it's all vile, evil stuff :vomit:

EA CO AS

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Red licorice laces are the best; accept no substitutes!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Red licorice laces are the best; accept no substitutes!

You misspelled "Red Vines."
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Okie

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Slow down there Pardoner!

Maybe you should just pony up and go for a Sarsaparilla and some Horehound candy instead. :D

Okie

marcelh

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 am

TSS wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Yep. Sadly, the Black Licorice and Kinder Egg lobbies are both woefully underfunded.

marcelh wrote:

Salmiakki is number 2 on my favorits list.

Jouhou

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:47 am

Um. Kinder eggs aren't banned in the US anymore.
情報

scbriml

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Jouhou wrote:

Please tell me this changed under Trump? He said he'd make America great again! :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

WIederling

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 pm

DocLightning wrote:
WIederling wrote:

No, there's a specific chemical found in black licorice called glycyrrhizin that prevents potassium reuptake in the kidney. We learned about it in med school.

I am aware of the backstory.
Now why aren't the Dutch ( 4lbs per head and year, 1/4 ounce/day ) and
Danes ( second best but couldn't find a number )
dying in droves left and right.

in Germany you have to tag licorice that has more than 2g Glycyrrhizin /kg licorice
as "Starklakritz" and as unsuitable for kids.

On the other hand the stuff seems to have health benefits too.

chlorinated chicken:
I neither consume cutlery nor other table wares. But I do eat chicken meat.
Thus I'd expect my chicken farmer to have low salmonella counts on his chicken to begin with.
( and that expectation is fulfilled. )
Afaik we have less salmonella cases ( and chlorinated chicken is _not_ on the menu.)
Murphy is an optimist

DLFREEBIRD

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 pm

hmmm, thanks for the info, my 65 year old diabetic husband has ate a package a week for the past 20 years.

this explains so much, i will make sure he reads this thread.
thanks for posting, OP, and those who contributed their knowledge.

he eats twizzlers switched to black licorice a couple of years ago
before that he ate brown/chocolate twizzlers, but his Dr. got after him, and he switched to black licorice.

LJ

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:44 pm

WIederling wrote:
Now why aren't the Dutch ( 4lbs per head and year, 1/4 ounce/day )Danes ( second best but couldn't find a number )
dying in droves left and right

Indeed, why am I (and millions of fellow Dutchmen) still living? Okay, I don't it much but I reckon I must have been dead by now as I probably eat more than the average American. Or is it just US Black Licorice?

petertenthije

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:49 pm

The Dutch term, and indeed the correct term, for licorice is drop.

Back when I was younger I had no problem eating a pound per day. On rare occaisions, obviously. Apparantly it's a miracle I did not drop dead. (badum-tss)
Attamottamotta!

Super80Fan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:53 pm

FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice.

FDA: "Because it tastes bad".
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Dutchy

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 pm

petertenthije wrote:
The Dutch term, and indeed the correct term, for licorice is drop.

Back when I was younger I had no problem eating a pound per day. On rare occaisions, obviously. Apparantly it's a miracle I did not drop dead. (badum-tss)

:checkmark: #metoo although I don't eat it that much anymore.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Jouhou

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:28 pm

scbriml wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Please tell me this changed under Trump? He said he'd make America great again! :rotfl:

*correction - kinder joy is available in the US, kinder surprise is still banned.

Quick, someone get a hold of Trump. We found deregulation we can all agree upon.
情報

HELyes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 pm

LJ wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Now why aren't the Dutch ( 4lbs per head and year, 1/4 ounce/day )Danes ( second best but couldn't find a number )
dying in droves left and right

Indeed, why am I (and millions of fellow Dutchmen) still living? Okay, I don't it much but I reckon I must have been dead by now as I probably eat more than the average American. Or is it just US Black Licorice?

Salty black licorice or salmiak licorice is popular up here in Finland. There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know ;)

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/868 ... ki-liqueur

Okie

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 pm

HELyes wrote:
There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know

That has to be close to Greek Ouzo. :vomit:
Not much difference taste wise between Anise and Licorice.

One of my college classmates would break out the Ouzo for most celebrations. I will give you three guesses if he was Greek.

Okie

TSS

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Okie wrote:
One of my college classmates would break out the Ouzo for most celebrations. I will give you three guesses if he was Greek.

Here's a rule of thumb for ya- Never trust any clear liquid that turns milky-white when you add water to it.

On the other hand, having to gag down Ouzo now and again is a small price to pay if it means you might get a taste of your classmate's care packages from home that include Mom's, or even better, Grandma's, homemade dolmades and/or pastitsio.

EstherLouise

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 pm

I grew up when Swizzlers came in only one flavor.... black licorice. I, and every child of the 1960's, learned from an early age that if you ate too much, you ended up with the shits long before you ended up in ER due to messed up potassium levels.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

HELyes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Okie wrote:
HELyes wrote:
There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know

Okie

No, it doesn't taste like Ouzo. I don't like Ouzo myself but a salmiak shot is fine, it's a bit like good tasting cough syrup ;) One shot is enough and works well with beer. The salmiak shot was first introduces on the ferries sailing between Finland and Sweden, coming back in fashion again it seems.

HELyes

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:58 pm

HELyes wrote:
Okie wrote:
HELyes wrote:

Okie

No, it doesn't taste like Ouzo. I don't like Ouzo myself but a salmiak shot is fine, it's a bit like good tasting cough syrup ;) One shot is enough and works well with beer. The salmiak shot was first introduced on the ferries sailing between Finland and Sweden, coming back in fashion again it seems. You can actually make your own stuff, crash the hard salty licorice in vodka and let the candies melt in there.

Okie

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 am

TSS wrote:
On the other hand, having to gag down Ouzo now and again is a small price to pay if it means you might get a taste of your classmate's care packages from home that include Mom's, or even better, Grandma's, homemade dolmades and/or pastitsio.

Usually some Baklava in those care packages and he was quite stingy with the spoils.

Okie

Airstud

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 am

DocLightning wrote:
You eat trace bleach all the time.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bleach...

(We germophobes marinate in it :biggrin: )
Pancakes are delicious.

WIederling

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:01 am

Airstud wrote:
(We germophobes marinate in it :biggrin: )

"Mac Beth's wife syndrome" is popular here too.
( ten km of detergent/biozides/biohazard weaponry in every supermarket.
what actually do people with those? pour it down the drain to see it flow? )

Looks like your underutilized immune system turns on its host.
Murphy is an optimist

DocLightning

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:17 pm

WIederling wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny because it's true.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

WIederling

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 am

DocLightning wrote:
WIederling wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny because it's true.

He!
..but funny only if you don't have compulsive cleaning syndrome.

Rather interesting:
The much more heavily polluted DDR had significantly
less issues with allergies than the oh so progressive and clean BRD.

today like with income and pensions they are catching up.
Murphy is an optimist