Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
trpmb6
Topic Author
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:15 pm

It appears the FDA is finally on board with what most sane American's already knew, that Black Licorice is garbage.

The FDA has issued warnings ahead of Halloween about black licorice which may result in a decrease in potassium levels after consumption.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... f625c35ff3

So it seems that Black Licorice is NOT the correct Licorice. So what is?
 
desertjets
Posts: 7693
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 3:12 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
So it seems that Black Licorice is NOT the correct Licorice. So what is?


Red vines since Twizzlers are trash.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia
 
TSS
Posts: 3656
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:13 am

desertjets wrote:
So it seems that Black Licorice is NOT the correct Licorice. So what is?

For my part, agreed, but if I'm not imagining it I seem to remember reading that there is actually a specific gene that controls whether one finds black licorice palatable or not which would seem to explain why everyone either likes it or hates it but no-one is indifferent to it.

trpmb6 wrote:
Red vines since Twizzlers are trash.

I'm not a fan of Twizzlers and I've never tried the Red Vines brand. I do like the old-school red licorice whips, the ones that looked like an extremely long single strand of red spaghetti, but I haven't seen any for sale in years. I got a hankerin' for some not too long ago and wound up going on a mini quest for them, but to no avail.

The tin-foil-hat-wearing side of me wonders if real licorice whips were outlawed because some idiot somewhere managed to strangle themselves with one and the +/- 100 year history of millions of people eating them without incident got ignored.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21812
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:21 am

You have to eat a *LOT* of it, in which case you probably deserve what you get. Yuck.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
Airstud
Posts: 4884
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:46 am

And the big scary consequence is (Bach organ fugue) ....decreased potassium levels.

Is that not something that can be remedied by eating a couple of bananas?
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 am

So let me make sure I've got this right...

Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go? :spin:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
BlueberryWheats
Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 am

#blackliquoricematters
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Topic Author
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 pm

This thread has not disappointed :lol:
 
marcelh
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
It appears the FDA is finally on board with what most sane American's already knew, that Black Licorice is garbage.

The FDA has issued warnings ahead of Halloween about black licorice which may result in a decrease in potassium levels after consumption.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... f625c35ff3

So it seems that Black Licorice is NOT the correct Licorice. So what is?


Dutch salt licorice is the correct licorice
 
User avatar
BartSimpson
Posts: 634
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Licorice comes in a different colour than black?
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12576
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:25 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice


Hopefully the long-overdue warning simply states that black licorice is disgusting, and no one should eat it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
TSS
Posts: 3656
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:50 pm

scbriml wrote:
So let me make sure I've got this right...

Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go? :spin:

Yep. Sadly, the Black Licorice and Kinder Egg lobbies are both woefully underfunded.

marcelh wrote:
Dutch salt licorice is the correct licorice

I've not tried that but I have had Salmiakki, which I assume is the Finnish version of same. I have to admit the flavor of whatever the Finns add to their black licorice that tastes like how an erupting volcano smells does make it much less objectionable than regular black licorice.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Topic Author
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:03 pm

TSS wrote:
I've not tried that but I have had Salmiakki, which I assume is the Finnish version of same. I have to admit the flavor of whatever the Finns add to their black licorice that tastes like how an erupting volcano smells does make it much less objectionable than regular black licorice.


Yeah... that just makes me less likely to try it now.
 
TSS
Posts: 3656
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
TSS wrote:
I've not tried that but I have had Salmiakki, which I assume is the Finnish version of same. I have to admit the flavor of whatever the Finns add to their black licorice that tastes like how an erupting volcano smells does make it much less objectionable than regular black licorice.


Yeah... that just makes me less likely to try it now.

It's definitely an acquired taste. I tried it because it was a gift from a well-intentioned Finnish friend. He mentioned one of the things he missed most from home was salmiakki, so I asked what that was and what it tasted like. A week or so later he got a care package from his Mom that included some and he insisted that I try it… right in front of him, so I couldn't in good conscience spit it out. If you're fond of strong, savory flavors it's not bad once you get over the initial shock, but to be clear there is also no danger of me now going out and buying a washtub full of the stuff, either.

I looked it up and the "volcano" flavor comes from ammonium chloride.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
WIederling
Posts: 9291
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Licorice comes in a different colour than black?


In America everything is possible. :-)

Any chance the additives ( like modified starch ) are the culprit?
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21812
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 pm

Airstud wrote:
And the big scary consequence is (Bach organ fugue) ....decreased potassium levels.

Is that not something that can be remedied by eating a couple of bananas?


Not if it gets critically low. Your heart can stop.
WIederling wrote:
Any chance the additives ( like modified starch ) are the culprit?

No, there's a specific chemical found in black licorice called glycyrrhizin that prevents potassium reuptake in the kidney. We learned about it in med school.

BUT... the risk is greatest for people over 40 who eat more than 2oz of NATURAL black licorice a day for over two weeks. This is a pretty unusual phenomenon. I've never seen it and I don't know anyone who has seen it.

scbriml wrote:
Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go?


If you understood the way in which rBST is used and what its effects are, you probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

The chlorine dioxide washes used in chicken (which is then rinsed out) reduces salmonella carriage from 14% to 2%. You don't want salmonella. You eat trace bleach all the time. Restaurants wash their plates and cutting boards with it, too. Don't panic.

As for Kinder eggs, yeah, I agree the ban is stupid.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3783
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 pm

marcelh wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
It appears the FDA is finally on board with what most sane American's already knew, that Black Licorice is garbage.

The FDA has issued warnings ahead of Halloween about black licorice which may result in a decrease in potassium levels after consumption.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... f625c35ff3

So it seems that Black Licorice is NOT the correct Licorice. So what is?


Dutch salt licorice is the correct licorice


No sir - it was a trick question, there is no correct licorice - it's all vile, evil stuff :vomit:
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15696
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Red licorice laces are the best; accept no substitutes!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21812
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:13 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
Red licorice laces are the best; accept no substitutes!


You misspelled "Red Vines."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
Okie
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Slow down there Pardoner!

Maybe you should just pony up and go for a Sarsaparilla and some Horehound candy instead. :D


Okie
 
marcelh
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:24 am

TSS wrote:
scbriml wrote:
So let me make sure I've got this right...

Hormone injected beef and chlorinated chicken are OK, but black licorice and Kinder Eggs are no-go? :spin:

Yep. Sadly, the Black Licorice and Kinder Egg lobbies are both woefully underfunded.

marcelh wrote:
Dutch salt licorice is the correct licorice

I've not tried that but I have had Salmiakki, which I assume is the Finnish version of same. I have to admit the flavor of whatever the Finns add to their black licorice that tastes like how an erupting volcano smells does make it much less objectionable than regular black licorice.

Salmiakki is number 2 on my favorits list.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:47 am

Um. Kinder eggs aren't banned in the US anymore.
情報
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 19032
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Um. Kinder eggs aren't banned in the US anymore.


Please tell me this changed under Trump? He said he'd make America great again! :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
WIederling
Posts: 9291
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 pm

DocLightning wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Any chance the additives ( like modified starch ) are the culprit?

No, there's a specific chemical found in black licorice called glycyrrhizin that prevents potassium reuptake in the kidney. We learned about it in med school.


I am aware of the backstory.
Now why aren't the Dutch ( 4lbs per head and year, 1/4 ounce/day ) and
Danes ( second best but couldn't find a number )
dying in droves left and right.

in Germany you have to tag licorice that has more than 2g Glycyrrhizin /kg licorice
as "Starklakritz" and as unsuitable for kids.

On the other hand the stuff seems to have health benefits too.

chlorinated chicken:
I neither consume cutlery nor other table wares. But I do eat chicken meat.
Thus I'd expect my chicken farmer to have low salmonella counts on his chicken to begin with.
( and that expectation is fulfilled. )
Afaik we have less salmonella cases ( and chlorinated chicken is _not_ on the menu.)
Murphy is an optimist
 
DLFREEBIRD
Posts: 1447
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 pm

hmmm, thanks for the info, my 65 year old diabetic husband has ate a package a week for the past 20 years.

this explains so much, i will make sure he reads this thread.
thanks for posting, OP, and those who contributed their knowledge.

he eats twizzlers switched to black licorice a couple of years ago
before that he ate brown/chocolate twizzlers, but his Dr. got after him, and he switched to black licorice.
 
LJ
Posts: 5289
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 1999 8:28 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:44 pm

WIederling wrote:
I am aware of the backstory.
Now why aren't the Dutch ( 4lbs per head and year, 1/4 ounce/day )Danes ( second best but couldn't find a number )
dying in droves left and right


Indeed, why am I (and millions of fellow Dutchmen) still living? Okay, I don't it much but I reckon I must have been dead by now as I probably eat more than the average American. Or is it just US Black Licorice?
 
petertenthije
Posts: 3891
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 10:00 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:49 pm

The Dutch term, and indeed the correct term, for licorice is drop.

Back when I was younger I had no problem eating a pound per day. On rare occaisions, obviously. Apparantly it's a miracle I did not drop dead. (badum-tss)
Attamottamotta!
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:53 pm

FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice.

FDA: "Because it tastes bad".
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11614
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 pm

petertenthije wrote:
The Dutch term, and indeed the correct term, for licorice is drop.

Back when I was younger I had no problem eating a pound per day. On rare occaisions, obviously. Apparantly it's a miracle I did not drop dead. (badum-tss)



:checkmark: #metoo although I don't eat it that much anymore.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 2539
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:28 pm

scbriml wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Um. Kinder eggs aren't banned in the US anymore.


Please tell me this changed under Trump? He said he'd make America great again! :rotfl:


*correction - kinder joy is available in the US, kinder surprise is still banned.

Quick, someone get a hold of Trump. We found deregulation we can all agree upon.
情報
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:14 pm

LJ wrote:
WIederling wrote:
I am aware of the backstory.
Now why aren't the Dutch ( 4lbs per head and year, 1/4 ounce/day )Danes ( second best but couldn't find a number )
dying in droves left and right


Indeed, why am I (and millions of fellow Dutchmen) still living? Okay, I don't it much but I reckon I must have been dead by now as I probably eat more than the average American. Or is it just US Black Licorice?


Salty black licorice or salmiak licorice is popular up here in Finland. There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know ;)

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/868 ... ki-liqueur
 
Okie
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 pm

HELyes wrote:
There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know


That has to be close to Greek Ouzo. :vomit:
Not much difference taste wise between Anise and Licorice.

One of my college classmates would break out the Ouzo for most celebrations. I will give you three guesses if he was Greek.

Okie
 
TSS
Posts: 3656
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 pm

Okie wrote:
One of my college classmates would break out the Ouzo for most celebrations. I will give you three guesses if he was Greek.

Here's a rule of thumb for ya- Never trust any clear liquid that turns milky-white when you add water to it.

On the other hand, having to gag down Ouzo now and again is a small price to pay if it means you might get a taste of your classmate's care packages from home that include Mom's, or even better, Grandma's, homemade dolmades and/or pastitsio.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:42 pm

I grew up when Swizzlers came in only one flavor.... black licorice. I, and every child of the 1960's, learned from an early age that if you ate too much, you ended up with the shits long before you ended up in ER due to messed up potassium levels.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Okie wrote:
HELyes wrote:
There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know


That has to be close to Greek Ouzo. :vomit:
Not much difference taste wise between Anise and Licorice.
Okie


No, it doesn't taste like Ouzo. I don't like Ouzo myself but a salmiak shot is fine, it's a bit like good tasting cough syrup ;) One shot is enough and works well with beer. The salmiak shot was first introduces on the ferries sailing between Finland and Sweden, coming back in fashion again it seems.
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:58 pm

HELyes wrote:
Okie wrote:
HELyes wrote:
There's even a liqueur made of vodka + salmiak licorice, that has been a hit among the Dutch people I know


That has to be close to Greek Ouzo. :vomit:
Not much difference taste wise between Anise and Licorice.
Okie


No, it doesn't taste like Ouzo. I don't like Ouzo myself but a salmiak shot is fine, it's a bit like good tasting cough syrup ;) One shot is enough and works well with beer. The salmiak shot was first introduced on the ferries sailing between Finland and Sweden, coming back in fashion again it seems. You can actually make your own stuff, crash the hard salty licorice in vodka and let the candies melt in there.
 
Okie
Posts: 4132
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 am

TSS wrote:
On the other hand, having to gag down Ouzo now and again is a small price to pay if it means you might get a taste of your classmate's care packages from home that include Mom's, or even better, Grandma's, homemade dolmades and/or pastitsio.



Usually some Baklava in those care packages and he was quite stingy with the spoils.

Okie
 
Airstud
Posts: 4884
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 am

DocLightning wrote:
You eat trace bleach all the time.


Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bleach...


(We germophobes marinate in it :biggrin: )
Pancakes are delicious.
 
WIederling
Posts: 9291
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:01 am

Airstud wrote:
(We germophobes marinate in it :biggrin: )


"Mac Beth's wife syndrome" is popular here too.
( ten km of detergent/biozides/biohazard weaponry in every supermarket.
what actually do people with those? pour it down the drain to see it flow? )

Looks like your underutilized immune system turns on its host.
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21812
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:17 pm

WIederling wrote:
Looks like your underutilized immune system turns on its host.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny because it's true.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
WIederling
Posts: 9291
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: FDA Issues warning about Black Licorice

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 am

DocLightning wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Looks like your underutilized immune system turns on its host.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's funny because it's true.

He!
..but funny only if you don't have compulsive cleaning syndrome.

Rather interesting:
The much more heavily polluted DDR had significantly
less issues with allergies than the oh so progressive and clean BRD.

today like with income and pensions they are catching up.
Murphy is an optimist

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bananaboy, Google Adsense [Bot], MaverickM11, NIKV69, olle and 50 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos