Aesma

Re: Brexit part 4: Until the last Tory Standing

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Olddog wrote:
reuters is trying to play with the pound :)

Well the wording is clever but typical, and only means "the court was told that...", not "the court told that".
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Richard28

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:56 am

Richard28 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
ok, when will the ruling be? this week right?

they are using the "expedited procedure" to make a decision quickly, quite how quick this would be I do not know.

Update:

The ECJ decission will be announced at a public hearing in the ECJ courtroom at 9am (European time) on Tuesday 4th December 2018.

So this information will be to hand to MP's in time for the "meaningful vote" :checkmark:

Richard28

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 am

some interesting poll data in the Daily Mail today. The front page splash seems they now support Theresa Mays deal, but hidden within the paper they show that:

(For / Against)
Support for Peoples Vote on Mays Deal: 48% / 34%
Prefer Remain to Theresa Mays Deal: 46% / 37%
Prefer Remain to No Deal: 50% / 40%

Dutchy

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 am

Richard28 wrote:
some interesting poll data in the Daily Mail today. The front page splash seems they now support Theresa Mays deal, but hidden within the paper they show that:

(For / Against)
Support for Peoples Vote on Mays Deal: 48% / 34%
Prefer Remain to Theresa Mays Deal: 46% / 37%
Prefer Remain to No Deal: 50% / 40%

Support is growing for this deal. Alais no re-vote on the horizon.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Richard28

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Support is growing for this deal. Alais no re-vote on the horizon.

Its all up in the air really.

Public seem to be warming to May's deal, however news today that costs of Brexit will be between £40,000,000,000 and £150,000,000,000 per annum will hopefully make people think a little more... (I can only hope)

MP's are also pretty entrenched in their positions so at least at this stage acceptance of the deal seems unlikely.
(there's an interesting piece on "Gamer theory" here which could help explain her strategy https://theconversation.com/will-theres ... wer-107532)

Should this deal not get through the commons then anything could happen:

- Leadership challenge
- General election
- Cross party National Unity Government
- No deal default
- Peoples Vote
- Extension of Article 50
- Article 50 revoked
- Renegotiation
- Norway + solution

Most pundits suggest Parliament will not accept the No Deal solution, although this is technically where we could end up if nothing happens. from everything else, take your pick!

There is suggestion that May is also banking on collapse in financial markets on her deal being rejected, to force vote through a vote for the second time, effectively using this as a scare tactic to force her view. Some way to run a country.....

Dutchy

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:07 pm

You can skip Renegotiation. The EU leaders already said that this is the deal, no renegotiation is possible.

Richard28

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:
You can skip Renegotiation. The EU leaders already said that this is the deal, no renegotiation is possible.

indeed.

I think this is why some of the press, notably the Mail and Express are starting to support Theresa May, as they realise that if this deal fails, then the likely outcomes are either much softer, or perhaps no Brexit at all....

scbriml

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Richard28 wrote:
MP's are also pretty entrenched in their positions so at least at this stage acceptance of the deal seems unlikely.

Labour's official position will be to vote against the deal, although some Labour MP's might vote for it. The SNP will vote against it and it seems unlikely that the Government's deal with the DUP will swing the day.

However, it seems to me Labour is adopting whichever position makes a general election more likely because getting into power is all they care about. The rest is just noise.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

sabenapilot

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:57 pm

I wonder why they are so eager to get into power, knowing the first and likely only thing on their platter will be Brexit, for which they have no practical solution either?

It looks to me like their proposed solution almost mirrors the likely end state of TM's deal: a permanent CU and voluntary full SM alignment, a solution which shaves several percentage points off the UK's GDP over the next 2 decades, according to the UK treasury....

I can still more or less get my head around a Labour government not caring too much about maximizing economic growth, but I have a really hard time understanding TM's comment to the sobering news today, saying it's nothing to worry about because 'the UK's economy will still be growing'?

seahawk

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:16 pm

Simple, some ideas from labour like nationalizing certain sectors would not fly with the EU.

sabenapilot

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 pm

seahawk wrote:
Simple, some ideas from labour like nationalizing certain sectors would not fly with the EU.

they won`t under TM.'s plan nor anything similar like Labour's very vague alternative either.

The past negotiations should have made it clear to all the only way the UK will be able to stay afloat economically is by staying very much aligned to the rules of the all important SM, so that means most of JC's economic plans are a no go anyway, post-brexit... unless he goes hard brexit himself and really wants to turn the UK to the IMF in a couple of years.

scbriml

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:32 pm

sabenapilot wrote:
I wonder why they are so eager to get into power, knowing the first and likely only thing on their platter will be Brexit, for which they have no practical solution either?

They're just desperate to get into power. That's not to say the Tories aren't equally desperate (hence the referendum in the first place.)

All through Brexit they've said they would negotiate a deal which was good for blah, blah, blah without ever detailing how they would do that. About the only thing they didn't say they would deliver was rainbows and unicorns. Then there's the six tests (which as far as I can see, can only be fully met by staying in the EU!)
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

LJ

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:07 pm

sabenapilot wrote:

I personally doubt any election can take place before the end of February, if they can meet such a deadline at all. This it will be either close to or after March 29th that such government takes power. By then Brexit is inevitable and they'll argue they're not not to blame (as people forget that Labour voted against May's deal). When the damage is arleady been done, why do you need to hurry to fix it (seen from their perspective)?

Aesma

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:01 pm

I heard today on the radio that Michel Barnier is being touted as the next EU Commission president, I'm sure some here would enjoy that bit of news.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Richard28

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 pm

The fixed term parliament act is a potential barrier to an early general election, as it is unlikely a majority of MP’s would go for it.

And I agree that another General Election would be irrelevant to the debate, as just like the one in 2017 it will not clear up any of the main issues surrounding Brexit and what the people actually want.

As such the fall back position of a people’s vote then becomes more likely and is the only real way to democratically take this forward one way or the other.

Richard28

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:41 pm

Aesma wrote:
I heard today on the radio that Michel Barnier is being touted as the next EU Commission president, I'm sure some here would enjoy that bit of news.

Would be very well deserved. He has done a tremendous job calmly dealing with a very disorganised, emotional, ignorant UK over the course of this process.

Great statesman :checkmark:

scbriml

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 pm

LJ wrote:
I personally doubt any election can take place before the end of February, if they can meet such a deadline at all. This it will be either close to or after March 29th that such government takes power.

It seems even Labour now accepts the obvious - there's nothing they can do to force an election and instead will be demanding a second referendum. :scratchchin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46373787
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell has suggested it is "inevitable" another EU referendum will be called if Labour are not able to force a general election.

An election remains Labour's preferred option if - as is widely expected - MPs vote down Theresa May's Brexit deal on 11 December.

The shadow chancellor said forcing an election would be "very difficult".

And if it was not possible, he told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg, the party would push for another referendum.

noviorbis77

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Richard28 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Would be very well deserved. He has done a tremendous job calmly dealing with a very disorganised, emotional, ignorant UK over the course of this process.

Great statesman :checkmark:

He seems like a complete ****.

He’ll fit in nicely.

sabenapilot

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Nigel Farage seems to think otherwise, noviorbis77.

In a debate in the EP in Brussels today, one which was held in an as good as empty plenum since nobody in the EU bothers any longer about the UK, he said he wishes Mr. Barnier were on the British side, because it's game, set and match for the EU thanks to him.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... r-he-s-won

Imagine the UK negotiating that much needed trade deal with the EU, with Mr Barnier and his EU commission on the other side of the table...
So far, Mr. Barnier hasn't treated the UK as a third country yet in the negotiations, and is on record saying he's been acting nicely still!

jcancel

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:17 am

Its important to prepare people for the people's vote. Consider this article https://mondediplo.com/2018/10/02brexit

But Nicola Davies, a community centre manager and Labour activist, is sceptical. Though she would personally like a second referendum, it would be ‘absolutely disastrous for this area. It would divide the community even more. For years we complained: you’re not interested in politics. Then for the first time in their lives they vote — do we say to them your vote does not matter?’

IMO this is the wrong mindset; people should understand that of an option is self destructive, it should be rejected. An MP stated this much during the death penalty debates, that Britain should not be governed by referendum.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hans ... nalty-bill

In this, in my view, they were right. We do not govern ourselves in this country by a referendum. We do not govern ourselves by a Gallup poll. We do not, in matters of life and death, think that it is right to decide what is just or unjust by a spot, unconsidered reaction taken on the street corner or in a club or in a "pub". Indeed, no part of our criminal law has ever been so determined. A good deal of it has not been enacted by Statute at all. It was the long, slow development of the common law.

Also from the same article:

The process of trial and error by which British policymakers have groped towards a concrete Brexit proposal has passed these people by. Margaret Davies said: ‘It’s gone on so long and there’s so little information, that people say they just want it over with.’

The get on with it crowd should be handed mock forms more or less saying they agree to take on debt and loss of political representation in exchange for continuing to support "get on with it". When one makes a willful choice like that that could harm the whole country, he or she should take responsibility for it. If one doesnt want the consequences, back away and rethink things.

Both in Newport and Merthyr, Labour activists expressed concerns about racism and xenophobia colonising closed, local ‘news’, Facebook groups. In small town communities, where the physical public space is effectively deserted after six in the evening, such bulletin boards have become an important online space for transmitting prejudice and disinformation. More than 17,000 people follow the closed Facebook group ‘Merthyr Council Truths’. Its influencers consistently peddle the narrative that job losses in the Welsh Valleys were caused by membership of the EU, that EU funding for infrastructure actually sucks economic activity out of Wales, and that the Labour establishment is corrupt.

Aggressively deplatform them all. And Mueller might reveal something about them.

seahawk

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 am

People voted for the real Brexit and that is what they should get.

Klaus

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 pm

seahawk wrote:

That would be unnecessarily cruel!

noviorbis77

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Klaus wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Your cult like devotion to the EU troubles me.

marcelh

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Klaus wrote:
seahawk wrote:

So what? They WANT it. Let them suffer.

Dutchy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:06 pm

marcelh wrote:
Klaus wrote:
seahawk wrote:

We suffer also, much less though, but we will suffer a bit. So why are you cheering for this? I kind of understand it, but I am mostly sad, sad for the Britts, sad for The Netherlands, sad for the EU.

seahawk

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:
marcelh wrote:
Klaus wrote:

We suffer also, much less though, but we will suffer a bit. So why are you cheering for this? I kind of understand it, but I am mostly sad, sad for the Britts, sad for The Netherlands, sad for the EU.

But it is the result of decades of constantly blaming the EU for anything bad. Imho the mood in the UK is such that no partnership would provide long term stability at the moment. I would bet that within the next decade an election there will be won with the aim of ending "the bad deal with the EU, which is hurting the UK and that the UK needs to be free of all EU influence".

marcelh

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
marcelh wrote:
Klaus wrote:

I’m not cheering. As an European with German-Dutch parents and raised in both countries, I know how important an united Europe is. But the majority of the British people voted for “leave”. And a lot of them want to get rid of the EU completely. Not the most clever choice, but they weren’t forced to do it.

Reinhardt

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Klaus wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Your cult like devotion to the EU troubles me.

Your cult like devotion to Brexit troubles me. Seriously, it's like a religion. No serious facts to back up anything, just based on pure faith. In a way I'm kind of jealous, to be able to believe in something so strongly with no facts. But then I read data, and remind myself of everything I know, understood and spent the last 15 years working with, around and in, and I'm back to understanding it's all a complete farce.

marcelh wrote:

A minority want a hard Brexit. Please don't think we're all crazy and should suffer.

If however god forbid there is a second referendum and Hard Brexit won, by all means let them suffer. I think i'd then seriously look at getting German citizenship in a few years. My parents also said if they were 10 years younger they would leave the UK.

See what this has done to families, to friends? It's a monumental joke.

Richard28

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Reinhardt wrote:

My wife is a nurse, and many of her colleagues are from the EU... and are now having to go through applications to stay in the UK, when they have worked and lived here for many many years, are settled here, have families and friends here etc

It is just disgusting, reminiscent of a europe years ago, and not one that I want today.

Reinhardt

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Richard28 wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:

My wife is a nurse, and many of her colleagues are from the EU... and are now having to go through applications to stay in the UK, when they have worked and lived here for many many years, are settled here, have families and friends here etc

It is just disgusting, reminiscent of a europe years ago, and not one that I want today.

Sorry to hear that, it's awful. Bad enough the Tories want to destroy the NHS, let alone have people it relies on to function having to go through that. What May has said the last few weeks about EU migrants is appalling. Despite her best efforts to retract them.

Talking about immigration, have you seen the numbers for the last year? EU immigration to the UK has fallen, massively. ROW immigration to the UK has increased, massively. So Brexiteers wanted to end FOM within Europe, because too many foreigners taking our jerbs. But they are being replaced by people from elsewhere (particularly Asia + Australiasia), not UK citizens. I'm confused. So no more jobs for UK people? The racist Brexiteers (of which there are plenty, of course not all but plenty) won't be happy with more brown faces, surely?

Olddog
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:21 pm

I think the settled ones will go through the burden and stay if they are allowed. The problem should be with the younger skilled workers that are very mobile and should move out.

Dutchy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Brexit deal latest news: Donald Tusk warns it's 'no deal or no Brexit' if MPs reject May's agreement

The Telegraph

The headline tells it all. There it is again. Your choice Britts.

noviorbis77

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Richard28 wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:

It is a simple registration process and unless there is no criminality issues, there will be no problems.

If I obtained a work permit for any number of countries I would have had to regularly renew.

noviorbis77

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brexit deal latest news: Donald Tusk warns it's 'no deal or no Brexit' if MPs reject May's agreement

The Telegraph

It will be a no deal. Parliament will not approve this ridiculous deal.

Dutchy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The Telegraph

We will see on December 11th. No need to speculate anymore, we will soon know for sure.

LJ

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:18 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The Telegraph

I wouldn't be so sure. May is still there and how many would have thought that?

noviorbis77

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:04 pm

LJ wrote:
noviorbis77 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The Telegraph

I wouldn't be so sure. May is still there and how many would have thought that?

It was never likely May would have gone until now. After vote, who knows?

Klaus

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:13 pm

noviorbis77

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Klaus wrote:

Very insightful. Lovely reading subjective nonense.

Did a child write it?

Dutchy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:10 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Did a child write it?

Could you elaborate a bit more? Perhaps some examples.....

Klaus

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:26 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
Klaus wrote:

Did a child write it?

The article is forensically addressing the mistakes which led to where the UK is now.

Your own post, on the other hand, seems oddly self-referential.

SomebodyInTLS

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:25 am

marcelh wrote:
Klaus wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Most people DON'T want it though!

Ignore the "we win, you lost" arch-Brexiteers - despite only just winning the referendum, they have never been the majority of the population, and more and more people are seeing just what a stupid idea Brexit was and what a mess it is to even try and execute it.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

Olddog
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:33 am

But, if you really think the majority in the UK has changed mind, act like the french, go in the streets and make your voices heard....

scbriml

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 am

Olddog wrote:
But, if you really think the majority in the UK has changed mind, act like the french, go in the streets and make your voices heard....

Are you really suggesting there haven't been anti-Brexit protests in the UK?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45925542
Protesters seeking a referendum on the final Brexit deal have attended a rally which organisers say was the biggest demonstration of its kind.

Young voters led the People's Vote march to London's Parliament Square, which supporters say attracted approximately 700,000 protesters.

Olddog
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:08 am

Your protests are so nice and polite, come to see how it's done in France :)

tommy1808

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am

Olddog wrote:
Your protests are so nice and polite, come to see how it's done in France :)

I always enjoy those scenes of trucks being pushed of the highways by armoured vehicles....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

ChrisKen

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:42 am

marcelh wrote:
But the majority of the British people voted for “leave”

No they didn't. A minute majority of the electorate that bothered voting on one given day, voted leave. This equates to significantly less than a third of the 'British people'.

marcelh

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:52 am

ChrisKen wrote:
marcelh wrote:

No they didn't. A minute majority of the electorate that bothered voting on one given day, voted leave. This equates to significantly less than a third of the 'British people'.

If you don’t vote, you do actually say: “I’m ok with the results.” Otherwise, go vote.

marcelh

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:54 am

marcelh wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
marcelh wrote:

If you don’t vote, you do actually say: “I’m ok with the results.”

Dutchy

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:44 pm

marcelh wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
marcelh wrote:

If you don’t vote, you do actually say: “I’m ok with the results.” Otherwise, go vote.

That's a bit too harsh for mine taste. I am all for people voting, but saying this is also denying people the right to speak up - democratic right - to vent their opinion and that doesn't feel right.