BarfBag

Re: Indian Politics Megathread

Wed May 29, 2019 1:46 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
BTW, consolidation of power is not symptomatic of a healthy democracy. Putin and Xi are also doing it. No one calls Russia or China true democracies.

Wrong . Consolidation of legislative power through free and fair elections is entirely healthy and constitutional . There’s NO constitutional requirement that there must be a certain number of opposition legislators - I challenge you to prove any such claim .

You’re confusing the words competent and constitutional . That the Congress could only win 50 odd seats in two General Elections is a demonstration of their own incompetence . It is not a proof of lack of democracy .

The right to have legislative power to oppose is EARNED competitively in elections .

China by the way makes no presumption of being democratic - they will vehemently deny it, in fact . And if you want to nitpick, India is a federal republic and not a popular democracy.
[quote=“dtw2hyd”]In a federal system, the center doesn't give handouts to states, actually center plays with states' money.
[/quote]
If you’re referring to disaster relief funds, you are wrong . Patnaik sought national disaster status for the cyclone damage. Consequently he received federal troops and federal funds . All federal states have disaster relief as a federal task . Guess what the F in FEMA stands for ?

As a general answer about federal devolution of fiscal powers to states, it’s clear you’re not at all familiar with the role of the Finance Commission , or for that matter the role of the now defunct Planning Commission.

The BJPs actions and goals have always been more federally oriented than the Congress .

BarfBag

Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 am

Well, the guy seems to think the composition of the Lok Sabha determines the extent of democracy in India. Same guy who equates Indian political system with that of the Kim family in North Korea, Chinese totalitarian state and Iran's ulema council.
dtw2hyd wrote:
Read post #18 from 4 months back. I called Modi/Shah victory and listed the reasons.

The part where you claimed BJP would win because of polarization related to Ayodhya and Sabarimala ? If you weren't in the US but in Kerala like I was, you'd realize you're far off on both. Modi won the north because he uplifted the lot of the very bottom of the economic pyramid.

None of the folks in the cities, much less venting gas from Yoo Ess, are aware just how many new roads, electric power lines, and the sheer number of toilets that have come up in the last five years. Add to that all the PMAY homes built and the gas cylinders, and it's not a surprise the BJP won astonishing >50% or even >60% voteshares across the northern swathe of India - they have transformed the lives of 400 million people at the very bottom.

I traveled up the northern states a little in 2014, and a lot more the last 4 months. The change at the rural level is enormous. I've heard the extreme left media mocking the Swacch Bharat Mission, Ujjwala etc claiming the numbers are made up. Let's pretend they're made up. Here's some number that aren't made up:

303 seats out of 543 for BJP
353 seats out of 543 for alliance
3rd largest voteshare ever won by a winning entity. Larger than anything by Indira Gandhi. Larger than all but one of Nehru's wins. The only other case is a sympathy vote after IG was killed.
>50% voteshare in UP, RJ, GJ, MH, JH, CG, HR, HP, UK, DL BH, which together comprise about half a billion people.
41% voteshare in WB
4 seats in Telangana

Sabarimala didn't help the BJP - it actually helped the UDF because it split the anti LDF vote with the BJP. Take a look at the Kerala result and you'd realize that. Kerala is the only place INC even won >10 seats. In 20 states, Congress won ZERO.

In a few months, BJP will force reelections in Karnataka and MP assemblies. Probably Rajasthan too. And in 2024 the BJP targets 333 seats in Lok Sabha. I'll be doing my bit again then to make that happen.

dtw2hyd

Wed May 29, 2019 10:24 am

BarfBag wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
BTW, consolidation of power is not symptomatic of a healthy democracy. Putin and Xi are also doing it. No one calls Russia or China true democracies.

Consolidation of legislative power through free and fair elections is entirely healthy and constitutional .
The right to have legislative power to oppose is EARNED competitively in elections .

Free and fair is a totally debatable topic about Indian elections. Unfairly consolidating power is nothing but dictatorship.

All the listed powers earned thru elections time and again.

I haven't given the best example of elections yet, Gaza strip in 2006. No one in the world guessed the result of that democratic election.

BarfBag

Wed May 29, 2019 3:35 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Unfairly consolidating power is nothing but dictatorship.

I haven't given the best example of elections yet, Gaza strip in 2006. No one in the world guessed the result of that democratic election.

"Unfairly" ? It's the very Constitution of India that mandates elections every 5 years. It also mandates the manner in which it is executed.

There's nothing unfair about any of what happens in the Indian general elections. You have a problem with the result, that is all. Even the extreme left's cherished hope of invalidating the election on the basis of VVPAT fell flat on its face - they all matched!

Keep digging a bigger hole for yourself:
"India is the same as North Korea , Iran and China politically" - dtw2hyd the political expert

dtw2hyd

Wed May 29, 2019 4:10 pm

BarfBag wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

"Unfairly" ? It's the very Constitution of India that mandates elections every 5 years. It also mandates the manner in which it is executed.

There's nothing unfair about any of what happens in the Indian general elections. You have a problem with the result, that is all. Even the extreme left's cherished hope of invalidating the election on the basis of VVPAT fell flat on its face - they all matched!

"India is the same as North Korea , Iran and China politically" - dtw2hyd the political expert

You are not answering even a single question honestly.

North Korea, Iran, Russia, China, Venezuela, and Gaza Strip conduct elections on a relatively regular basis. Regularity itself is not a symptom of great health.
Only a random sample of five VVPAT are counted, so "they all matched" is not a true statement.

Keeping technical issues aside, the way Sunil Arora and ECI conducted themselves makes election process legitimacy very questionable. Arora cannot ride on Seshan's reputation.

BarfBag

Wed May 29, 2019 4:20 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

North Korea, Iran, Russia, China, Venezuela, and Gaza Strip conduct elections on a relatively regular basis. Regularity itself is not a symptom of great health.
Only a random sample of five VVPAT are counted, so "they all matched" is not a true statement.

Keeping technical issues aside, the way Sunil Arora and ECI conducted themselves makes election process legitimacy very questionable. Arora cannot ride on Seshan's reputation.

You have demonstrated the following already:
* You don't understand what a democracy is. You think India is 'more' or 'less' democratic depending on how many members of each party are in Lok Sabha.
* You're on record claiming that Indian democracy has 'become a numbers game'. The word literally means rule by the people - they vote, they choose.
* You have demonstrated that you do not understand what elections and peaceful transfer of power are about. Show me where North Korea or China elected an opposition, and the ruling party stepped out and let the other guys take over.

You don't like the fact that only 5 VVPATs are counted ? Too bad. Take it up with the Supreme Court of India:
SC rejects Opposition review plea on 50% VVPAT verification, says not inclined to interfere
Therefore:

dtw2hyd

Thu May 30, 2019 10:44 am

BarfBag wrote:
* You don't understand what a democracy is. You think India is 'more' or 'less' democratic depending on how many members of each party are in Lok Sabha.
* You're on record claiming that Indian democracy has 'become a numbers game'. The word literally means rule by the people - they vote, they choose.
* You have demonstrated that you do not understand what elections and peaceful transfer of power are about. Show me where North Korea or China elected an opposition, and the ruling party stepped out and let the other guys take over.

You don't like the fact that only 5 VVPATs are counted ? Too bad. Take it up with the Supreme Court of India:

Therefore:

Again, DPRK, Russia, Iran, China has ceremonial opposition parties. You yourself claimed next targets are Karnataka and Rajasthan. What is India? A single party system.

People are free to vote, in this case, they might have voted out of fear, hoping that they will be safe if Modi finds out who they voted for and leave the responsibility to others. Now having a WTF moment. India is facing a Emporer has no clothes moment, someone has to say it.

You made false and misleading statements about VVPAT up thread, not me.

Therefore
Modi could use a boatload for Preparation-H. No one else needs a Burnol.

WingsFan

Thu May 30, 2019 3:40 pm

The delusion index here is off the chart! You may oppose BJP and Modi all you like but insinuation that the elections were sham is simply incorrect.You comparing this with Cuba,China or N Korea is just plain stupid. Not even parties and candidates who lost have questioned the process. Feel free to hold on the your delusions if that's what keeps you sane.

Modi may have bungled up few opportunities during his last tenure ( notably, the currency fiasco) but there is simply no getting around the fact that Indians wanted BJP and they got BJP fair and square.

dtw2hyd wrote:

Again, DPRK, Russia, Iran, China has ceremonial opposition parties. You yourself claimed next targets are Karnataka and Rajasthan. What is India? A single party system.

People are free to vote, in this case, they might have voted out of fear, hoping that they will be safe if Modi finds out who they voted for and leave the responsibility to others. Now having a WTF moment. India is facing a Emporer has no clothes moment, someone has to say it.

Therefore

dtw2hyd

Thu May 30, 2019 4:18 pm

WingsFan wrote:
The delusion index here is off the chart! You may oppose BJP and Modi all you like but insinuation that the elections were sham is simply incorrect.You comparing this with Cuba,China or N Korea is just plain stupid. Not even parties and candidates who lost have questioned the process. Feel free to hold on the your delusions if that's what keeps you sane.

Modi may have bungled up few opportunities during his last tenure ( notably, the currency fiasco) but there is simply no getting around the fact that Indians wanted BJP and they got BJP fair and square.

All those listed countries have elections where people vote, legislative bodies with members and court systems with show trails.

If a hiker crosses into Iran and they talks about legal process no one believes, but if an illegal immigrant crosses in USA and DHS processes them to the legal system every one trusts the system. Difference between a banana republic (vs) republic. India is at crossroads.

Just to be clear, AFAIK, I never said anything against BJP or NDA.

India probably likes and deserves Modi's Bollywood style drama and numbers game.

Demonetization actually worked well for Modi, he is the only one access to INR 2,000 bills.

aarbee

Thu May 30, 2019 5:23 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
aarbee wrote:

Just stunned.

-R

Read post #18 from 4 months back. I called Modi/Shah victory and listed the reasons. I am not a Congress fan and surprised about Modi's win.

I will at at leisure. In the same line you are claiming you called Modi victory and then feeling surprised about it? Decide will you?

dtw2hyd wrote:

What consolidation of power? Having majority in Lok Sabha? Isn't that democracy all about? Are you of the opinion that Prime Minister should form a cabinet of opposition members ? :roll:

You keep on talking of consolidation of power, I still don't understand your point.

dtw2hyd wrote:
Why was the IAF Heli friendly fire news came out after the election, when there was so much fanfare about Balakot and surgical strikes.

In a federal system, the center doesn't give handouts to states, actually center plays with states' money.

In your opinion, has this "money handout/state money" suddenly changed from 2014? Did Nehru, Indira, Rajiv, VP Singh, PVNR, Vajpyee, MMS do it differently?
Or you want Modi to do it differently to satisfy you?

dtw2hyd wrote:
One way I am glad he won, no one can fix India's economy, made up numbers can go only so long.

If he does not perform, this great democracy of India (to whom you have tightly slapped on their face) will throw him out. You are just sitting here and on your computer and looking at some spreadsheet and shaking your head. It's not all just some numbers for voters. Voters have serious issues : Food, Electricity, Sanitation, Cooking Gas, Health care, safety, etc. Voters have given a thumping answer based what they thought the government has delivered and wants the continuity.

Don't keep on insulting the voters.

dtw2hyd wrote:

I am sure Modi, Jaitley and Jayant Sinha are very proud of themselves having shut down a major airline without losing a vote. AI will be next, HAL after that.

Jet Airways is ONE airline in Aviation sector, which is part of Transportation, which is ONE of the domains being managed by government.

You think Modi, Jaitey had NO other business but shut down one puny airline since 2014 :?

Per your thought Modi, Jaitlely, Sinha (MJS) decided to buy Air Sahara, decided on the fleet, decided on the destinations, decided on financing options, defaulted on the payments , did not pay the salaries .... and hence shut it down.

Boo hoo ... There are lot more macro issues to focus on . Grow up.

Again just stunned.

-R
Love the AIXes

aarbee

Thu May 30, 2019 5:31 pm

BarfBag wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Wrong . Consolidation of legislative power through free and fair elections is entirely healthy and constitutional . There’s NO constitutional requirement that there must be a certain number of opposition legislators - I challenge you to prove any such claim .

Oh this winning more seats and votes is consolidation of power? Is that what he means? Then according to that asinine logic - DTW2HYD you must think Nehru, Indira, Rajiv were bigger dictators (Indira G as a matter of fact was ONE in mid 70s)

I won't be surprised if s/he was one of them who cribbed that 2014 Modi did not have mandate because only 33% voted for him. Now the vote share and seats have gone up, it's consolidation of power and dictatorship.

Healthy democracy people vote on issues, elected representatives form the government (as per the constitution) . But that hardly matters here, damn the constitution, this is unhealthy democracy.

- R
Last edited by aarbee on Thu May 30, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the AIXes

aarbee

Thu May 30, 2019 5:37 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
BarfBag wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Consolidation of legislative power through free and fair elections is entirely healthy and constitutional .

Free and fair is a totally debatable topic about Indian elections. Unfairly consolidating power is nothing but dictatorship.

Uh! So Indian elections are NOT free and fair? Where do you come up with this? What you get with continuously insulting Indian voters and conducting body?

Again with unfairly "consolidating power" ? How is the power ILLEGALLY consolidated? What is unfair to have a majority in Parliament?
Love the AIXes

aarbee

Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
BarfBag wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Stop sulking and accept the verdict of Indian voters . Stop comparing India to NK, Venezuela, etc. Maybe you should stay in NK to get an idea about democracy.

Now we move over personally to Chief Election Commissioner. As if berating Indian voters was not enough, now you accuse CEC and ECI. The job of conducting general elections and some state elections peacefully & legally, though very long, is truly commendable.

You don't like what Indian voters voted for ---> malign the CEC & ECI now.

Just stunned

-R
Love the AIXes

aarbee

Thu May 30, 2019 6:08 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
BarfBag wrote:

Therefore:

Therefore

So Indian GOP Congress (I), TMC, BSP, SP, NCP, DMK, TRS, PDP, NC,RJD, TD, JD-S are all ceremonial opposition parties? WOW. Just wow. So how come they were allowed to campaign?

Maybe I lost the art of counting ... I did not know all the above mentioned parties plus BJP accounts for single party. Duh!
Speaking of Karnataka, you find it healthy that party with 37 seats out of 224 is governing and party which won 105 is in opposition. (Mind you the current ruling collation was post election and fought the elections against each other and thus cheated the people of Karnataka)..

Voted out of FEAR. Brilliant logic. Election results are not to my liking means people voted out of fear. That's a pretty below the belt accusation.

Could you care to elaborate on Emperor has no clothes moment? Who's the emperor here? I do not even see a King. Please enlighten.

As per what I saw in the swearing ceremony, Modi did not have any difficulties, so why use preparation-H? Seems Burnol moment is for people who are sulking around not accepting the verdict of great Indian democracy.

-R
Love the AIXes

aarbee

Thu May 30, 2019 6:11 pm

WingsFan wrote:

Boom. "Indians wanted BJP and they got BJP fair and square." and hard work of the BJP workers.
Love the AIXes

dtw2hyd

Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

aarbee wrote:
Boom. "Indians wanted BJP and they got BJP fair and square." and hard work of the BJP workers.

Chinese voted for Xi, Russia voted for Putin, Palastines voted for Hamas, DPRK voted for Kim Jung Un, Cuba voted for Castro, Iran voted for Rouhani with the hard of their party cadre. What is your point?

unrave

Fri May 31, 2019 6:53 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
aarbee wrote:

Chinese voted for Xi, Russia voted for Putin, Palastines voted for Hamas, DPRK voted for Kim Jung Un, Cuba voted for Castro, Iran voted for Rouhani with the hard of their party cadre. What is your point?

Since their corrupt party lost the only recourse for the pidis is to tarnish the electoral process. Anything to earn the biscuit I guess.
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

P1aneMad

Fri May 31, 2019 1:38 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

So much failure in just one post...

.Image

dtw2hyd

Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

So much failure in just one post...

Memes aside, what did India achieve over those countries. Is it an economic superpower? No. Is it a military superpower? Not even close. All India had was a democracy, that is gone courtesy, Modi.

We elected a drama queen with the ultimate majority is not an achievement. He is going grab rest of the seats is also not an achievement for democracy.

What are you proud of?

Unemployment Rate Highest In 45 Years, Centre Confirms Leaked 6.1% Figure
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/india-u ... ome-livetv

India's Economic Growth Drops To 5.8% In March Quarter, Behind China
https://www.ndtv.com/business/gdp-growt ... -topscroll

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm

India was faking GDP growth by a few points.

Rather than growing at about 7% a year in that period, growth was about 4.5%, according to the research paper, published by the Center for International Development at Harvard University

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/controv ... -topscroll

About India's Auto Industry

more than half a million passenger vehicles worth $5 billion (nearly Rs 35,000 crore) are lying with the dealerships that have not been sold yet in the first week of June. The scene is equally terrible for the two-wheeler segment where the number is said to be $2.5 billion.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/indi ... inventory/

texdravid

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:26 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
India was faking GDP growth by a few points.

Rather than growing at about 7% a year in that period, growth was about 4.5%, according to the research paper, published by the Center for International Development at Harvard University

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/controv ... -topscroll

About India's Auto Industry

more than half a million passenger vehicles worth $5 billion (nearly Rs 35,000 crore) are lying with the dealerships that have not been sold yet in the first week of June. The scene is equally terrible for the two-wheeler segment where the number is said to be $2.5 billion.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/indi ... inventory/

Rahul get off this website! Ha ha. Dude you the most shameless Congress Gandhi bootlicker in the history of Indian politics.

Geezus dude your side lost an election. Get over it and quit comparing India to some dictatorship or military junta or such.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

dtw2hyd

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Fun facts

India's population - 1.37 Billion
Eligible voters - ~900 Million
Voters voted in 2019 election - ~603 Million (67% of 900 Million)
Voters voted for BJP in 2019 - ~235 Million (39% of 603 Million)

So, 1.135 Billion Indians have nothing to with BJP's yuge victory.

P1aneMad

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:40 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Fun facts

India's population - 1.37 Billion
Eligible voters - ~900 Million
Voters voted in 2019 election - ~603 Million (67% of 900 Million)
Voters voted for BJP in 2019 - ~235 Million (39% of 603 Million)

So, 1.135 Billion Indians have nothing to with BJP's yuge victory.

I don't think you understand how democracy and elections work exactly...

unrave

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:50 am

There are reports that Trump administration might introduce country specific caps on H1B visas.
I hope they also retrospectively evaluate the credentials of all those immigrants with dodgy certificated bought from the by lanes of Hyderabad
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself