Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy

Re: Trump to pull US from Russia missile treaty

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am

WIederling wrote:
L410Turbolet wrote:
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/aggress ... says-63235

He sounds like a freaking islamist. A KGB thug using religious terminology is amusing no less.

You'd expect that from a "Voice of America" type of publication.
There is a lot of tension workable via translations.

WP:EN:MoscowTimes wrote:
Derk Sauer, a Dutch publisher who came to Moscow in 1989, made plans to turn his small, twice-weekly
paper called the Moscow Guardian into a world-class daily newspaper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moscow_Times#Founding

Pffff anything you do not agree with, you reject as a "voice of America" type.

Wikipedia page wrote:
n the aftermath of the Ukrainian crisis, The Moscow Times was criticized by a number of journalists including Izvestia columnist Israel Shamir, who in December 2014 called it a "militant anti-Putin paper, a digest of the Western press with extreme bias in covering events in Russia".[3] In October 2014 The Moscow Times made the decision to suspend online comments after an increase in offensive comments. The paper said it disabled comments for two reasons—it was an inconvenience for its readers as well as being a legal liability, because under Russian law websites are liable for all content, including user-generated content like comments.

Dirk Sauer is very critical of the Putin regime in regards to crushing the free press, among other things, but actually less critical than many western commentators.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

L410Turbolet

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am

Would Russia Today (aka Voice of Kremlin if you will) be good enough source for you?

“Any aggressor should know that retribution will be inevitable and he will be destroyed. And since we will be the victims of his aggression, we will be going to heaven as martyrs. They will simply drop dead, won’t even have time to repent,” Putin said during a session of the Valdai Club in Sochi.

https://www.rt.com/news/441631-putin-nu ... st-heaven/

Stalinu Akbar!!!

Tugger

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:21 pm

I am basically OK with the withdrawal after reading up on it and the treaty and how ineffective it has been.

This is a decent summation of the issue:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Dutchy

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:42 am

Interesting remarks, but a bit one-sided, from mr. Gorbachev.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/worl ... ussia.html
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

HELyes

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:22 am

anrec80 wrote:
If you want an example of "good neighbor Putin" - just look at Finland. Russians don't have anything having targets in Finland and don't have any significant military forces within hundreds of kilometers from their border. Finns are feeling totally safe and fine, no "aggressive Putin" anywhere. And nobody is dividing Finland with anyone else. That means it is possible to build relations in pretty much the way you want?

"Finns are feeling totally safe" :sarcastic:

You are giving a bit rosy picture of the Finnish & Russian relationship. Finland has a pragmatic approach towards Russia, the long border is a fact that Finns have learnt to live with. Most of the time everything goes fine but every now and then the unpredictable neighbor want to test how little Finland reacts when pushed a bit. And we don't know what comes after Putin. Finland has a relatively large army, right now the Finnish soldiers are practicing with NATO troops in Norway and Northern Finland. There's one main reason for that.

alfa164

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:26 am

HELyes wrote:
You are giving a bit rosy picture of the Finnish & Russian relationship.

Some people are paid to paint "a bit rosy picture" of Russia and its relationships. I think you stumbled into one of them...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

HELyes

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:48 am

alfa164 wrote:
HELyes wrote:

Some people are paid to paint "a bit rosy picture" of Russia and its relationships. I think you stumbled into one of them...

;)

Yes this is not the first time I read how "Finland feels totally safe" also here on A.net, even with the same pharses ;)

alfa164

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:52 am

HELyes wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
HELyes wrote:

;)

Yes this is not the first time I read how "Finland feels totally safe" also here on A.net, even with the same phrases ;)

Someday, they might get a new script...

:roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....