WarRI1
Topic Author

Re: Stocks sheds all 2018 gains, 600 points today

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 am

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/dow-closes-600-points-higher-in-biggest-rally-in-8-months/ar-BBQbHVY

Thank the Fed???

Just an update

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/investin ... index.html 799 down today.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

bagoldex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 am

WarRI1 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/dow-closes-600-points-higher-in-biggest-rally-in-8-months/ar-BBQbHVY

Thank the Fed???

Just an update

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/investin ... index.html 799 down today.

KICT

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 am

I am growing tired of all this winning. My head is spinning.

wingman

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Big recession coming boys, buckle up for some real nastiness. I predict Trump will go down as the most reviled 1 term president in history. All he really had going for him was the little coke party he threw with his tax cuts. Now morning time is here and the ATM is all tapped out folks.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:21 am

KICT wrote:
I am growing tired of all this winning. My head is spinning.

I wonder where all the guys went who were making all that money about the time I started this thread ? Silence as usual from the BSer's.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 am

wingman wrote:
Big recession coming boys, buckle up for some real nastiness. I predict Trump will go down as the most reviled 1 term president in history. All he really had going for him was the little coke party he threw with his tax cuts. Now morning time is here and the ATM is all tapped out folks.

Everyone I know is starting to see the truth as you point out, a little late for many and painful for us all down here in reality land.

Dieuwer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:49 am

wingman wrote:

"It's the economy, STUPID".

That famous quote will probably be Trumps undoing. Stock market already rolling over. I bet it will be lower than when Trump entered office (seems like a recurring theme with GOP presidents). Yield curve as flat as a pancake. One more rate hike, it inverts, and we WILL have a recession (will have one soon anyway). And with the trade war going on with pretty much everyone else in the world, imports are getting very expensive, making American products that need materials from abroad ALSO very expensive, eventually leading to job losses.

So we will have higher unemployment, decimated pensions, and an angry mass of voters come 2020.
Winning? LOSING!!

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:28 am

Coming to a city near you if this screwing of the people continues in the US and elsewhere. Madam Guillotine awaits for the unwary and the wealthy and exploiters.

https://www.france24.com/en/20181206-pr ... ike-france

einsteinboricua

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:43 am

It's also worth noting that out of the DJIA's top 5 largest point losses, 4 have happened this year alone (and they all take the top 4 spots, with the top 2 happening the same week). If we go to the top 10 losses, then 5 happened this year alone; top 20, then 10 happened this year.

On the gaining side, for the top 5 largest point gains, 2 have happened this year; top 10, 5; top 20, 8.

Not exactly comforting news if the market is experiencing high volatility and you're getting close to retirement and want your money stable. Sure the losses COULD be temporary or they COULD also point toward uncertainty in the economy.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
It's also worth noting that out of the DJIA's top 5 largest point losses, 4 have happened this year alone (and they all take the top 4 spots, with the top 2 happening the same week). If we go to the top 10 losses, then 5 happened this year alone; top 20, then 10 happened this year.

On the gaining side, for the top 5 largest point gains, 2 have happened this year; top 10, 5; top 20, 8.

Not exactly comforting news if the market is experiencing high volatility and you're getting close to retirement and want your money stable. Sure the losses COULD be temporary or they COULD also point toward uncertainty in the economy.

As someone who comfortably retired 21 years ago, to see this must be terrifying to those who did not, or could not, or will not be able to in the future. I know many who are being hurt, including me. Our broker has no answers, and he has admitted so. We diversified, but it still hurts.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:51 am

I will not bother with a link,, another 500 points down today, or close enough.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:56 am

A3801000

Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:21 pm

S&P 500 is now down since Congress and Trump cut the tax rate on corporate profits.
Now at a 14-month low.
Dow Junes today: −507.53 (-2.11%)

casinterest

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 pm

A3801000 wrote:
S&P 500 is now down since Congress and Trump cut the tax rate on corporate profits.
Now at a 14-month low.

Trump and the Republican party are just readying the US for bankruptcy filing.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

trpmb6

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:34 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Now at a 14-month low.

How does the tax reform bill have anything to do with the status of the stock market? Honestly looking for how the two could be linked. If anything it should help these companies. Maybe the tax reform bill delayed the inevitable? Or more than likely, people are just cashing in their "winnings" at this point and selling off ahead of the impending recession we're about to enter.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:11 am

trpmb6 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Now at a 14-month low.

How does the tax reform bill have anything to do with the status of the stock market? Honestly looking for how the two could be linked. If anything it should help these companies. Maybe the tax reform bill delayed the inevitable? Or more than likely, people are just cashing in their "winnings" at this point and selling off ahead of the impending recession we're about to enter.

The Thieves sold it as a cure all, a dose of medicine for the economy which would lift all boats as the saying goes. Jobs returning, corporations hiring, wages rising, a chicken in every pot. So far I and millions including you believers have got one thing from the dose, and that is Diarrhea. :banghead:

tommy1808

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:11 am

casinterest wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Now at a 14-month low.

Trump and the Republican party are just readying the US for bankruptcy filing.

Remeber how he said the US going bankrupt could be a good idea during the campaign?

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

salttee

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 am

trpmb6 wrote:

Haven't you heard? Cutting taxes makes business boom so in the end it actual increases tax revenue thus making more tax cuts necessary, and so on. We've been hearing that from the Pubbies for the last 38 years. That theory is one of Ronald Reagan's gifts to humanity.

It's all explained here: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/laffercurve.asp

Aesma

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 am

trpmb6 wrote:
A3801000 wrote:
Now at a 14-month low.

Most of the tax cut money was used to buy back shares, making them go up mechanically (and the executive bonuses with them). So yes it delayed the inevitable, which might have been evitable if other policy decisions weren't undermining the economy, like the trade war.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

trpmb6

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:18 pm

I for one have benefited greatly from the tax reform. I'm seeing job and wage growth in my industry. I haven't seen this kind of enthusiasm since the years the 787 was being developed. Aviation is cyclical, slightly offset from the greater economy itself, but you don't see anyone on these forums talking about bad GDP numbers, bad unemployment numbers or anything else. The only thing being pointed to right now by the left is that evil wall street empire that is currently in a hold/sell pattern due to the fact that we are likely to see inflation growth.

afcjets

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 pm

The current perception of political instability is the biggest factor. It’s a win win for Democrats if Trump is removed from office (since they ignore they would be replacing a centrist who was a lifelong Democrat with a religious conservative). Just like when the market skyrocketed as soon as he was elected, it’s going down based on the perception he might not be President much longer.
Last edited by afcjets on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trpmb6

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:29 pm

afcjets wrote:
The current perception of political instability is the biggest factor. It’s a win win for Democrats if Trump is removed from office (since they ignore they would be replacing a centrist who was a lifelong Democrat with a religious conservative). Just like when the market skyrocketed as soon as he was elected, it’s going down based on the perception he won’t be President much longer.

While an interesting theory, I disagree. This hold/sell phase is completely due to fears about inflation which means interest rate hikes. It's a textbook set up. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's only bad because Trump used to taut the success of the stock market as a marker of his success. Foolish for any president imo. The market is responding to what appears to be a strengthening economy and stronger wage growth. Which is good for us peon's, bad for investors.

salttee

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Doncha think it might be due to the deficit spending and runup of national debt? Investors can't be expected to be so stupid as to not eventually wise up to the boom and bust Republican economic cycle. It looks to me as if the investing class has finally figured that one out.

2122M

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I for one have benefited greatly from the tax reform. I'm seeing job and wage growth in my industry. I haven't seen this kind of enthusiasm since the years the 787 was being developed. Aviation is cyclical, slightly offset from the greater economy itself, but you don't see anyone on these forums talking about bad GDP numbers, bad unemployment numbers or anything else. The only thing being pointed to right now by the left is that evil wall street empire that is currently in a hold/sell pattern due to the fact that we are likely to see inflation growth.

In January 2000, unemployment was about 4% and GDP growth was high. Then the market crashed in the summer of 2000 which resulted in GDP growth grinding to a hold and unemployment ticking up to over 6% in December 2002 before recovering.

Spring of 2008 saw unemployment around 5% and GDP growing by around 2%. Then the stock market crashed which resulted in the fall of '08 and a year later we're at 10% unemployment after 4 quarters of a rapidly shrinking economy.

The point I'm making is this: You can point to everything being all fine and dandy on main street despite wall street woes, but history tells us that a wall street crash is a sign of things to come, even if it takes a year or so for the worst of the effects to reach you.

But I agree with you in a way. There is no point worrying about it now. The wheels are in motion and we're all just along for the ride until we head back to the ballot box in 2020.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:53 pm

salttee wrote:
Doncha think it might be due to the deficit spending and runup of national debt? Investors can't be expected to be so stupid as to not eventually wise up to the boom and bust Republican economic cycle. It looks to me as if the investing class has finally figured that one out.

....and just wait until investors start looking at the national debt and start having doubts that the US will pay that ever back.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

einsteinboricua

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:55 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This hold/sell phase is completely due to fears about inflation which means interest rate hikes.

Trump disagrees, though you'd expect someone who knows about business to know about this as well.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:01 pm

DocLightning wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I'm as conservative as it comes but a 461 point gain isn't much to brag about in today's market. But economy is looking good right now despite some poor earning results this quarter, mostly in the tech sector I'd add.

The economy is still running, but current indicators is that trade deficit is growing and that the rate of growth may start to slide. I'm not rooting for America to fail, but I am well-positioned for a market slump, so I am kind of hoping for that for selfish reasons.

Buy low and all. ;)

that is very selfish, and will probably bite you in the butt.

casinterest

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I'm as conservative as it comes but a 461 point gain isn't much to brag about in today's market. But economy is looking good right now despite some poor earning results this quarter, mostly in the tech sector I'd add.

The economy is still running, but current indicators is that trade deficit is growing and that the rate of growth may start to slide. I'm not rooting for America to fail, but I am well-positioned for a market slump, so I am kind of hoping for that for selfish reasons.

Buy low and all. ;)

that is very selfish, and will probably bite you in the butt.

When people are more than 5 years out from Retirement, it is actually a great thing. For folks that don't save or are living on fixed incomes, it is not the ideal situation. But remember we had to pay for Trump's tax cuts somehow.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:07 pm

AA747123 wrote:
Ups and down in the market will happen. What is important is the economy is the strongest its ever been in the history of our country. Remember when Trump came in to rescue from the economy from Obamas disaster, the stock market was the lowest in its history.

actually this year the stop market dropped more than it has since the depression. all the signs were there. in fact on another thread, i said i was pulling out of the market because i lost more money this year than ever before. Then someone said i must be the worse investor ever, i think it was you. I got out, and then the real blood bath hit.

so, who's the worse investor now. when all the signs are there, you stick your money elsewhere, that's the key to investing. you don't sit like a idiot and watch it go down and hope it will go back up, in 10 years times, even if you are young because sometimes that how long it takes for the economy to improve. Your President is causing this indirectly, with him plying on massive debt with his tax cuts for the 1% . you have a lot to learn about playing the stock market, and the cause and affect of having a self serving person serving in the WH. Your actually very immature and need to grow up. This is what happens to people like you. You ignore reality, when it's facing you, and become one of the walking wounded because things didn't turn out like you thought they would, when all you had to do, is pick up any book on investing, to blow through your ignorance.

casinterest

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:29 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
AA747123 wrote:
Ups and down in the market will happen. What is important is the economy is the strongest its ever been in the history of our country. Remember when Trump came in to rescue from the economy from Obamas disaster, the stock market was the lowest in its history.

actually this year the stop market dropped more than it has since the depression. all the signs were there. in fact on another thread, i said i was pulling out of the market because i lost more money this year than ever before. Then someone said i must be the worse investor ever, i think it was you. I got out, and then the real blood bath hit.

so, who's the worse investor now. when all the signs are there, you stick your money elsewhere, that's the key to investing. you don't sit like a idiot and watch it go down and hope it will go back up, in 10 years times, even if you are young because sometimes that how long it takes for the economy to improve. Your President is causing this indirectly, with him plying on massive debt with his tax cuts for the 1% . you have a lot to learn about playing the stock market, and the cause and affect of having a self serving person serving in the WH. Your actually very immature and need to grow up. This is what happens to people like you. You ignore reality, when it's facing you, and become one of the walking wounded because things didn't turn out like you thought they would, when all you had to do, is pick up any book on investing, to blow through your ignorance.

I honestly can't believe that you had to write this much to refute the lies of AA747123.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EDJI/ ... IjowfX0%3D

zakuivcustom

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
I honestly can't believe that you had to write this much to refute the lies of AA747123.

Knowing AA747123, he'll probably say "Dow is up 200 today. Winning! #MAGA #LockHerUp" (I seriously can't imitate Drumpf supporter, you know, Trumpglish is not an easy language to learn :stirthepot: ).

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Two word. Trade War. Before Trade War (aka 2017) stocks were going up and up. After Drumpf being his Trade War BS (aka 2018), stock market has been literally flat. But hey, all those stock buybacks is suppose to help people.

But hey, US budget deficit doesn't matter nowaday anyway (In President Cheney's word), trade deficit that is growing? Check. But hey, Drumpf has the Democrat House to blame everything on once company start to layoff people next year, stock market drops another 10-20%, meanwhile the trade "talk" still goes nowhere. President Beto will then have to clean up the mess, only for people to go back to the R's again after that b/c the economy is too good in 2028.

Dieuwer

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:05 pm

casinterest wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

casinterest

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Ummm, why is that left hand pointed to the wrong place in 2008 before Obama took office on Jan 20 ,2009?

Dieuwer

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Ummm, why is that left hand pointed to the wrong place in 2008 before Obama took office on Jan 20 ,2009?

I think the year numbers are positioned in the middle of the year. If you look carefully, the vertical lines are drawn between the years numbers and denote New Years' Eve/Day,