WarRI1
Topic Author

Re: Stocks sheds all 2018 gains, 600 points today

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 am

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/dow-closes-600-points-higher-in-biggest-rally-in-8-months/ar-BBQbHVY

Thank the Fed???

Just an update

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/investin ... index.html 799 down today.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

bagoldex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:50 am

WarRI1 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/dow-closes-600-points-higher-in-biggest-rally-in-8-months/ar-BBQbHVY

Thank the Fed???

Just an update

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/04/investin ... index.html 799 down today.

KICT

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 am

I am growing tired of all this winning. My head is spinning.

wingman

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Big recession coming boys, buckle up for some real nastiness. I predict Trump will go down as the most reviled 1 term president in history. All he really had going for him was the little coke party he threw with his tax cuts. Now morning time is here and the ATM is all tapped out folks.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:21 am

KICT wrote:
I am growing tired of all this winning. My head is spinning.

I wonder where all the guys went who were making all that money about the time I started this thread ? Silence as usual from the BSer's.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 am

wingman wrote:
Big recession coming boys, buckle up for some real nastiness. I predict Trump will go down as the most reviled 1 term president in history. All he really had going for him was the little coke party he threw with his tax cuts. Now morning time is here and the ATM is all tapped out folks.

Everyone I know is starting to see the truth as you point out, a little late for many and painful for us all down here in reality land.

Dieuwer

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:49 am

wingman wrote:

"It's the economy, STUPID".

That famous quote will probably be Trumps undoing. Stock market already rolling over. I bet it will be lower than when Trump entered office (seems like a recurring theme with GOP presidents). Yield curve as flat as a pancake. One more rate hike, it inverts, and we WILL have a recession (will have one soon anyway). And with the trade war going on with pretty much everyone else in the world, imports are getting very expensive, making American products that need materials from abroad ALSO very expensive, eventually leading to job losses.

So we will have higher unemployment, decimated pensions, and an angry mass of voters come 2020.
Winning? LOSING!!

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:28 am

Coming to a city near you if this screwing of the people continues in the US and elsewhere. Madam Guillotine awaits for the unwary and the wealthy and exploiters.

https://www.france24.com/en/20181206-pr ... ike-france

einsteinboricua

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:43 am

It's also worth noting that out of the DJIA's top 5 largest point losses, 4 have happened this year alone (and they all take the top 4 spots, with the top 2 happening the same week). If we go to the top 10 losses, then 5 happened this year alone; top 20, then 10 happened this year.

On the gaining side, for the top 5 largest point gains, 2 have happened this year; top 10, 5; top 20, 8.

Not exactly comforting news if the market is experiencing high volatility and you're getting close to retirement and want your money stable. Sure the losses COULD be temporary or they COULD also point toward uncertainty in the economy.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:49 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
It's also worth noting that out of the DJIA's top 5 largest point losses, 4 have happened this year alone (and they all take the top 4 spots, with the top 2 happening the same week). If we go to the top 10 losses, then 5 happened this year alone; top 20, then 10 happened this year.

On the gaining side, for the top 5 largest point gains, 2 have happened this year; top 10, 5; top 20, 8.

Not exactly comforting news if the market is experiencing high volatility and you're getting close to retirement and want your money stable. Sure the losses COULD be temporary or they COULD also point toward uncertainty in the economy.

As someone who comfortably retired 21 years ago, to see this must be terrifying to those who did not, or could not, or will not be able to in the future. I know many who are being hurt, including me. Our broker has no answers, and he has admitted so. We diversified, but it still hurts.