Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
trpmb6
Topic Author
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Iceland ran out of beer.. sort of

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:47 am

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... H0gCXHkHiw

No surprise, sailors and marines are thirsty boys.

I suspect this is a little blown out of proportions but still funny nonetheless.
Last edited by qf789 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated at thread starters request
 
prebennorholm
Posts: 7154
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2000 6:25 am

Re: Ireland ran out of beer.. sort of

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:16 am

No. There is no report that Ireland ran out of beer.

The headline of this thread is wrong. It wasn't Ireland, but Iceland.

Of course the Icelandic capital city Reykjavik cannot serve the thirst of thousands of US Navy servicemen. That's a nobrainer.

Last time I visited Reykjavik, just over a month ago, I could have had all the beer I wanted. But when in Rome, do as the Romans. So I had Champagne instead.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Topic Author
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Ireland ran out of beer.. sort of

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:10 am

prebennorholm wrote:
No. There is no report that Ireland ran out of beer.

The headline of this thread is wrong. It wasn't Ireland, but Iceland.

Of course the Icelandic capital city Reykjavik cannot serve the thirst of thousands of US Navy servicemen. That's a nobrainer.

Last time I visited Reykjavik, just over a month ago, I could have had all the beer I wanted. But when in Rome, do as the Romans. So I had Champagne instead.


My mistake, I did indeed report the wrong location, though the link is correct.

Mods please update the thread title.
 
tommy1808
Posts: 14563
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Iceland ran out of beer.. sort of

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:09 am

Considering the local prices this sbould show up a GDP spike :)

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1066
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Iceland ran out of beer.. sort of

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Yes, it was the 7,000 lightweight members of the US forces that drank the town dry......not the other 33,000 NATO personnel in attendance :roll:
 
Mortyman
Posts: 5947
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Iceland ran out of beer.. sort of

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:02 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Yes, it was the 7,000 lightweight members of the US forces that drank the town dry......not the other 33,000 NATO personnel in attendance :roll:



40000 ( closer to 50000 ) is the number of total soldiers participating in Trident Juncture wich mostly take place in Norway, not Iceland. The article talks about some 7000 US soldiers that happend to train on Iceland before they went and participated in the actual exercise that takes part in the mostly North Atlantic and in Norway.
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: Iceland ran out of beer.. sort of

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 am

Mortyman wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
Yes, it was the 7,000 lightweight members of the US forces that drank the town dry......not the other 33,000 NATO personnel in attendance :roll:



40000 ( closer to 50000 ) is the number of total soldiers participating in Trident Juncture wich mostly take place in Norway, not Iceland. The article talks about some 7000 US soldiers that happend to train on Iceland before they went and participated in the actual exercise that takes part in the mostly North Atlantic and in Norway.


As a part of Trident Juncture Finnish airbase in RVN (F-18) in Lapland is hosting fighters from US (F-15) and Belgium (F-16), the Belgians bring their own beers probably ;)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos