triple3driver

Re: Words in your language that mean completely different/gross/disgusting things in another

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:08 pm

IIRC root in Australia means fuck. So, don't root for a team in Australia.
If you can walk away from it intact, it was a good landing!

Virtual737

Re: Words in your language that mean completely different/gross/disgusting things in another

Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm

There was an episode of Top Gear some time ago (before the terrible yet brilliant 3 left) that was based in Albania and continuously made light of the fact that:

1.) Peach = gentleman sausage
2.) Car = lady garden

I might have that the wrong way round, but... it's a peach of a car was one of the lines.

falstaff

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 pm

A number of years ago I was dining with some friends in Halle, Germany. I was complimenting my buddy's wife about how mushy her mashed potatoes were. When I said "mushy" my buddy's entire family laughed at me. Apparently "Mushi" is German slang for vagina.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

M564038

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:50 pm

Honda Jazz/Fit started as the Fitta.
Although considered a less obscene, almost normalized word for female genitalia over the last few years, 15 years ago it was the worst word imaginable in this scandinavin country. Probably worse than «Cunt» at the time.
Hence the name-change.

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:49 pm

We all know what "dick" means, but why can it also be a men's first name? For example: Dick Cheney. Why would ANYONE want to have such as first name??

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:45 am

Dieuwer wrote:
We all know what "dick" means, but why can it also be a men's first name? For example: Dick Cheney. Why would ANYONE want to have such as first name??

Actually it is a lot worse than you can even imagine.

Behold... a nice helping of Spotted Dick

A rather attractive Slippery Dick

And the German Rock singer, King Size Dick

Thx as ever to wikipedia, wikipedia, and.... wikipedia.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Braybuddy

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 am

Causing tourists' heads to turn in Germany:

and Hong Kong:

and Albania:

and Australia:

and Poland:

and Greece:

and England:

:eyepopping:

WIederling

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:22 pm

Braybuddy wrote:

I am apparently not dirty minded enough to see the hilarity in some of your examples.
Lets start with you explaining #1 "Das Hör Haus"
Murphy is an optimist

TSS

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:40 pm

WIederling wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:

I am apparently not dirty minded enough to see the hilarity in some of your examples.

I'm obviously not Braybuddy, but… sounds like "Whore House", a crude term for a place where prostitutes ply their trade.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

WIederling

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:52 pm

TSS wrote:
WIederling wrote:

I'm obviously not Braybuddy, but… sounds like "Whore House", a crude term for a place where prostitutes ply their trade.

hehe. But it is an "Ö" in Hör Haus
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/h%C3%B6ren
Whore
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/whore
~= Hure
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hure

<go for the audio samples>
Murphy is an optimist

TSS

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:05 pm

WIederling wrote:
TSS wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Whore
~= Hure

I started to add the phrase "to native English speakers not familiar with the use of the umlaut" to my post but at the last minute decided against doing so. My mistake. :sorry:
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Braybuddy

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm

WIederling wrote:

Indeed. TSS is right though, most non-German speakers would just read it as "whore".

Kilopond

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 pm

The word slovenski is even a tripple false friend.

In Prague and Bratislava it means Slovak, Slovakian.
In Belgrade and Zagreb it means slavonic, slavic.
In Ljubljana it means Slovenian.

SheikhDjibouti

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 am

WIederling wrote:
But it is an "Ö" in Hör Haus ~= Hure

I have an audio sample of my own, in this case the Glaswegian pronunciation of "whore house", which is "hör" all day long!

Listen to The Sensational Alex Harvey band performing "Next" (1973), detailing the experience of a young British soldier

Listen specifically at 1m00s
"I was just a child when my innocence was lost,
in a mobile army whore house, gift of the army, free of cost."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpl_8N6647M
Nothing to see here; move along please.

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:38 am

In the Grand Tour the guys travelled to a small Austrian town called Fucking.

I'd love to move there when I retire. :smile:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 am

triple3driver wrote:

"Rooter" in America is pretty much a plumber lol. There's also a restaurant in DEN called Root Down. :biggrin:
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

WIederling

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am

TWA772LR wrote:
triple3driver wrote:
IIRC root in Australia means fuck.

What did that Aussie guy show me in scope of a language lesson in a London YHA hostel:

b 4 I √ u r u < 18 ( correctly reproduced? man! its 40 years back in time.)
Murphy is an optimist

dtw2hyd

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:00 pm

India has a lot of widely used acronyms, inappropriate elsewhere.

BJP(arty) - Bharatiya Janata Party
ED - Enforcement Directorate(official name Directorate of Enforcement)
STD - Subscriber Trunk Dailing(Long distance calling), not sure it is still in use.

Dominion301

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:16 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
triple3driver wrote:

"Rooter" in America is pretty much a plumber lol. There's also a restaurant in DEN called Root Down. :biggrin:

In Canada “Roots” is a clothing company/brand. Many of their sweatshirts prominently display their name.

As a native English speaker who also is fluent in French, I did not know there were mountains in the US called the Grand Tetons until about a decade ago while at an art show around Detroit with my American relatives. One artist had a huge picture of the Grand Tetons on display/for sale. I burst out laughing upon seeing it as “grands tétons” in French pretty much means big/amazing nipples. Even those early 16th/17th century French explorers of North America had something else on the brain, lol.

tommy1808

Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:31 pm

German: "ich komme klar" ~i get along
Dutch: "ik kom klaar" ~ I am about to cum

Best served in grocery stores when being asked if you need help when you are looking for something....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am

"morbido (m.) morbida (f)"
means "soft" in italian.
"morbid" in english means not "soft" :-D
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 am

WIederling wrote:
TSS wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Whore
~= Hure

LOL
Makes me think of 3rd grade, German lesson
"my watch is punctual" - translate in German, I wrote in front of the whole class, "meine Hure ist pünktlich"
the lady teacher started laughing hard, and said "she has to be german", I was pure and innocent, and answered back "nein, sie (die Hure) ist ein Caso, von Japan"
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

WIederling

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am

FatCat wrote:
WIederling wrote:
TSS wrote:

Whore
~= Hure

LOL
Makes me think of 3rd grade, German lesson
"my watch is punctual" - translate in German, I wrote in front of the whole class, "meine Hure ist pünktlich"
the lady teacher started laughing hard, and said "she has to be german", I was pure and innocent, and answered back "nein, sie (die Hure) ist ein Caso, von Japan"

Obviously one of the petite ones, with that endearing little tick ?
:-)

From German there is this dangerous translation of "bekommen" to "become".

May I become a beesteak, please? ... Sure, just follow me to the kitchen.

similar is "ist der Platz frei?" -> .. free ( the wrong friend ) and the proper ... vacant.
Murphy is an optimist

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:15 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Braybuddy wrote:
T18 wrote:
The English word mist as in the weather condition translates to manure in German.

I've always wondered if the liqueur "Irish Mist" was rebranded in Germany.

No, you can get it here under that name, at least in mail order stores. But if I remember correctly, Rolls Royce changed the name of its Silver Mist model to Silver Cloud in the German market in the 70ies.

There has never been a Rolls Royce Silver Mist, you are half way right, they did intend to call it Silver Mist but changed the name to Silver Shadow.

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:19 am

Hair in Norwegian is pronounced whore
Speed in Norwegian is fart
Stakis in my Swedish ex's dialect means penis, she used to piss herself laughing whenever we walked past a Stakis Hotel in London.
Six in Norwegian and Swedish is pronounced sex
Australians can't pronounce H properly....that say hach

There's a transport company which I see most days. Even after 13 years it still cracks me up.

petertenthije

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:02 am

There is a segment on a Dutch radio station that finds lyrics that sound funny in Dutch.

The best one by a mile was a mantra. The lyrics are:
“Ek Ong Kar Sate Gure Prasad Sate Gure Prasad, Ek Ong Kar”.

In Dutch it sounds like:
“Ik kom klaar zet die hoer op de site, zet die hoer op de site, ik kom klaar.”

In English that would be:
“I’m coming (cumming), put the whore on the website, put the whore on the website, I’m coming.

For those that are unfamiliar with mantras, they are the same (often religious) text repeated over and over with soothing music.

The radio station played this song for 5 minutes before the DJ decided fun time was over. :D
Attamottamotta!

Redd

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 pm

In Polish
Byc (to be) pronounced Bitch
Fart = Luck
SRAM (The bicycle components company) = I am shitting

DL717

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:24 pm

When I was a kid, my dad was based in Germany for a couple of years. I remember laughing every time I heard the word ”ausfhart”.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Redd

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Braybuddy wrote:
and Poland:

I live a 2-minute walk from there :D How long ago was that picture taken?
Last edited by Redd on Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redd

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Delete....

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
There's a transport company which I see most days. Even after 13 years it still cracks me up.

Didn't get... explain please! :-D
Also because we frequently use VD Trans quite frequently for norwegian deliveries!
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Redd wrote:
In Polish
Byc (to be) pronounced Bitch
Fart = Luck
SRAM (The bicycle components company) = I am shitting

SRAM for avgeeks is this one, sure you'll be shitting if you see one of those coming towards your general direction

Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:24 pm

FatCat wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Also because we frequently use VD Trans quite frequently for norwegian deliveries!

VD is short for venereal disease.

FatCat

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:32 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
FatCat wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

thanks! I knew only STD.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

WildcatYXU

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:04 pm

FatCat wrote:
thanks! I knew only STD.

Well, at my former employer we had an European outfit that was tasked with creating new procedures and standards. They called themselves the STD Group. That caused a lot of laugh around here.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

sebolino

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 pm

German "Pute" (turkey) -> "Whore" in French ("Puta" is the same in Spanish)
English "pet" -> "fart" in French
Spanish "con" (with) -> the most used insult in French: literally "cunt" (old - not very used) but used as "idiot", "asshole"

Scorpio

Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 pm

'Kloten', the location of Zürich Airport, in Dutch is a rude word for 'testicles'.

Braybuddy

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Redd wrote:
I live a 2-minute walk from there :D How long ago was that picture taken?

May 2016. Here's another view: