GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 1740
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Should there be a Multi Party System in American Democracy?

Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:46 am

But it is the same elements of the crime tried by two sovereigns which you said couldn’t happen under “lesser included”. You can be charged in what many erroneously believe to be double jeopardy.

No, South Carolina isn’t the same as Spain, I never asserted it was, but it is a separate sovereign and out system is based on states being so. It’s closerto Spain than say Brittany is in France or Rutland is in the UK. You would wish it otherwise, in fact, seem to be open to eliminating states, in the international sense, altogether.

GF

GF
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Should there be a Multi Party System in American Democracy?

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:35 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
...



That does not contradict anything I've said. Especially where the example you have of UCMJ comes in. One event can easily trigger multiple charges. It doesn't require multiple jurisdictions either, although, as I have said, if the same event violates two different codes, you can expect to pay for both. In all of the cases you mention (and all like that there have ever been), the code/statute violations do have different numbers based on who's prosecuting at the moment. The fact that it is the same event is not relevant.

This is not controversial.



Of far greater import, it also adds nothing to the notion that american states are somehow equal to countries, as another poster quite foolishly suggested. That's the larger point. Semantics will not make South Carolina equal to Spain.


Keep up that GPA bro. Meanwhile, the rest of us understand how it works.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Should there be a Multi Party System in American Democracy?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
But it is the same elements of the crime tried by two sovereigns which you said couldn’t happen under “lesser included”. You can be charged in what many erroneously believe to be double jeopardy.



Yes, because it's literally a different crime. But you would be right to say it's the same event. I have my feelings about how far that should go, but as long as we give states the privilege to charge for something the feds already have, this will be a thing.


GalaxyFlyer wrote:
No, South Carolina isn’t the same as Spain, I never asserted it was, but it is a separate sovereign and out system is based on states being so. It’s closerto Spain than say Brittany is in France or Rutland is in the UK.


This is true; you did not say that. I was actually just answering someone who thinks wishful thinking is a substitute for knowledge/awareness on a matter.

In practice, what you say there is true, but it's still a huge misnomer to refer to our provinces as states. Definitely closer to sovereignty than Rutland, but far further than Hong Kong or Taiwan. Or even Puerto Rico, for that matter.


GalaxyFlyer wrote:
You would wish it otherwise, in fact, seem to be open to eliminating states, in the international sense, altogether.

GF



It is not something I care enough to bring up on my own, but I wouldn't be opposed. There's very little I like about my nation that has anything to do with it being a nation. Most of the good things here got that way through circumstance as much as anything else.

If eliminating borders eventually resulted in a more stable world market economy (which it probably would), I'd be hard pressed to find a problem with that, if I'm being honest.
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1337Delta764, BlueberryWheats, wingman and 22 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos