FTMCPIUS
Topic Author

Worst Cigarettes

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:21 pm

When smoking was commonplace in the 60s I often heard my Grandfather refer to English Ovals as absolutely "nasty" (not that any of the others were, IMO, not). Is anyone familiar with that brand? Did they use tobacco from another part of the world? What made them so "nasty" as described?

Dutchy

Re: Worst Cigarettes

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:29 pm

All cigarettes are worst. Ever since a father of a friend of mine (and more or less a friend of mine) died of lung cancer, I never smoked again. I never really smoked, but up until I had heard he had cancer, I smoked cigars sometimes.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TSS

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:06 pm

I've never tried English Ovals, but I did smoke for many years and had a similar discussion recently with someone who has never smoked.

1. All cigarette brands and lines really do have subtly different flavors.
2. There is also a noticeable difference in flavor between the brands from different manufacturers (Philip Morris vs R. J. Reynolds, etc.)
3. There are differences (probably unintentional) in flavor between strengths of a single brand and even between lengths of cigarettes in a single line. Two examples:
A. Winston Ultra Lights taste like Winstons, only much lighter as expected, but Winston Lights have an unpleasant flavor all their own that is most un-Winston-like.
B. Camel Light 100s had a completely different flavor from Camel Light regulars, and it wasn't good. Whether this was from the 100s being made in a different plant or what I have no idea, but it was distinct and almost universally noted and reviled by Camel Light regular smokers. R. J. Reynolds eventually addressed this issue with the introduction of Camel Light 99s which tasted exactly like the regulars.

So basically, the cigarette flavor that appeals to one smoker may be entirely abhorrent to another. Old English is/was an older brand, so I'd guess they were quite strong aside from their flavor profile. They may also be one of the brands, of which there were several, that had pipe and/or cigar tobacco mixed in with the cigarette tobacco, which is definitely a "love it or hate it" proposition.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

seb146

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 am

I think I have been a non smoker for 16 years. It has been a very long time for me. The brosband still smokes Camel 99s. When I did smoke, it was either Kool or Doral menthol. I tried Winston once. It was nasty. The only Camels I could ever smoke were Camel Wide. They all have different flavors.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Airstud

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 am

seb146 wrote:
I think I have been a non smoker for 16 years. It has been a very long time for me. The brosband still smokes Camel 99s. When I did smoke, it was either Kool or Doral menthol. I tried Winston once. It was nasty. The only Camels I could ever smoke were Camel Wide. They all have different flavors.

Winston was totally my favorite brand!!! And I never understood the popularity of Marlboro, I thought those were trés nasty.

However, it has been more than 27 years since I last smoked a cigarette. :smile:
Pancakes are delicious.

buzzard302

Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:41 am

It's been probably 15 years since I had a cigarette, but I had lots of friends that smoked. I tried lots of brands and agree they all have a bit different flavor. The worst were any unfiltered cigarettes. A neighborhood friend's dad used to smoke Pall Mall unfiltered cigarettes. Nasty. It's kind of like coffee or tea. Some brand are farmed and processed much better. Higher quality ingredients and processing.

Aesma

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:47 am

I heard on the radio the other day that the FDA was looking at banning menthol cigarettes.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Caryjack

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:42 am

James Bond made English Ovals popular in the mid '60s and I smoked a few of them. They were considered exotic and exclusive to us high school kids. To an adolescent, smoking is all about peer pressure; and the manufactures know it. If they can't get you to smoke by 18 years of age, you won't. Just to be clear, people smoke for the nicotine, not because their brand is smoother, or has that special taste, or makes you look the sexy guy/gal. I normally smoked Winston's but my best friend's mom kept a book so I often smoked her brand: Camels.

Years latter a college professor used cigarettes as a promotion example (the 4 Ps of marketing). He said that if you took 1 cigarette from each brand and dropped them on the floor, you would not be able to pick the one that would make you a war hero, a rugged cowboy, a sexy gal, an intellectual, etc.

The most insidious product I have ever encountered of any type were Kent cigarettes with their Micornite Filters. Smokers were told to squeeze the filter before every draw to release the micronite effect. What no one was told was that the filters were impregnated with asbestos. Kent smokers died early and often.

Smoking has become very unpopular in the US so the suppliers have developed a work-around: Vaping. This system offers all the advantages of cigarettes (what ever they are) with few of the disadvantages (stinking up the place, ashes, fires). Smokers can have all that plus pick from many flavors, and have the ability to dial in the right combination of everything for the best smoking experience. Makes you wounder why every part of this wonderful system is laced with nicotine.
Cary

WIederling

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:11 pm

TSS wrote:
2. There is also a noticeable difference in flavor between the brands from different manufacturers (Philip Morris vs R. J. Reynolds, etc.)

Massive differences for the same brand and variant bought in different countries.
My wife used to like Marlboro at home in Germany.
Bought a new pack of Marlboros in Scotland .. and threw it away after trying the first fag from the pack.
"Terrible!"
Murphy is an optimist

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Caryjack wrote:
Makes you wounder why every part of this wonderful system is laced with nicotine.

Funny thing is, apparently many people vape without any nicotine.

I find that very strange.

As a mostly-former-but-still-very-occasional smoker, I have to admit that smoking is absolutely disgusting.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Nomadd

Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Winston was totally my favorite brand!!! And I never understood the popularity of Marlboro, I thought those were trés nasty.

However, it has been more than 27 years since I last smoked a cigarette. :smile:

Marlboro took over because they started adding ammonia to the tobacco, which sped up absorption. They're sort of the crack of the cigarette world. Winston was still pure tobacco, and even they didn't know how Marlboro captured the market for many years.

The worst American cigarettes are Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Camel. Even in the army, only lifer Staff Sergeants smoked those.

seb146

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:30 pm

Nomadd wrote:
Airstud wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Marlboro took over because they started adding ammonia to the tobacco, which sped up absorption. They're sort of the crack of the cigarette world. Winston was still pure tobacco, and even they didn't know how Marlboro captured the market for many years.

The worst American cigarettes are Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Camel. Even in the army, only lifer Staff Sergeants smoked those.

Anyone remember the "girly" cigarettes? Virginia Slims or Benson & Hedges are the only two I can think of, but there were others. I thought Virginia Slims were a complete waste.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TSS

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:41 pm

seb146 wrote:
Anyone remember the "girly" cigarettes? Virginia Slims or Benson & Hedges are the only two I can think of, but there were others. I thought Virginia Slims were a complete waste.

Yep, although B&H were nominally marketed to men and/or a general audience, Virginia Slims were definitely targeted at women. The funny thing is, they were exactly the same cigarettes with different packaging. If blindfolded you couldn't tell them apart.

There were also, perhaps prior to Virginia Slims, Eve cigarettes which were marketed specifically towards women. Eve cigarettes did have a cool package design which at first featured a somewhat stylized woman bare-shouldered amid jungle-esque foliage, but the woman was removed due to protests by religious groups, or so I heard at the time. I'm trying to imagine some irate "Church Lady" type bursting in to the offices of a tobacco company shouting "You're not fooling me! I know that cartoon lady on your cigarette packs is NAKED underneath all those cartoon leaves! Either take her off or cover her shoulders NOW!".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Nomadd

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:35 am

seb146 wrote:

I remember the slogan, "You've come a long way Baby". It was accurate. Lung cancer rates soared in women till they rivaled men's.

Max Q

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:28 am

Gauloises
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

cedars747

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 pm

lucky strike
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

EstherLouise

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:19 pm

seb146 wrote:

I remember 101's. "Just a silly millimeter," was their tagline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJnGUglTRw
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

FatCat

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:50 am

My first smokes were Camel Yellow - they made my hands smell like s**** for hours, had to wash immediately after smoking
Then Lucky reds - a bit better
then Marlboro reds - IMHO the better you can smoke. but too strong for a daily use.
Now I smoke Marlboro Gold.
Worst smoke I've ever smoked was a Philipp Morris blue bought in Fuerteventura.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right