cedars747
Topic Author

Why doesn't the United States make both English and Spanish as official languages?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I was very impressed on my last visit to the USA because the English language was not necessary, since the majority of workers at hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers, tourist guides, etc. speak Spanish. I wonder why the United States does not consider both English and Spanish as official languages?
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

casinterest

Re: Why doesn't the United States make both English and Spanish as official languages?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:39 pm

The US has no official language.
Most everyone speaks English though.

Problem solved
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

seb146

Re: Why doesn't the United States make both English and Spanish as official languages?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:44 pm

You want to see a spike in racist attacks? Make Spanish an official language.

I do believe people should learn at least two languages. I think the United States not having an official language is great.

But, with who is living in the White House, the official languages would probably be English and Russian.....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:51 pm

It's actually quite telling how Americans expect everyone to speak English when coming here, but also expect people to speak English when THEY go abroad.

I find that it wouldn't hurt for the US to recognize Spanish as a language, if only because of the growing Latino population. But I guess that's an issue best handled at the state level. California has lots of Hispanics whereas North Dakota probably doesn't have a sizeable community to warrant the consideration.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:56 pm

casinterest wrote:

Problem solved

In my opinion it would be more appropriate for Americans to learn English and Spanish at school.
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

casinterest

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:11 pm

cedars747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Problem solved

In my opinion it would be more appropriate for Americans to learn English and Spanish at school.

Many do, Some learn French, some learn Chinese, Some learn German, Some learn Latin, Some learn Hebrew. \

The real issue, is that English gets you by, pretty much where-ever you go. Having traveled abroad, English goes a long way. In some areas, there are those that don't speak English ,and you have to improvise.

But Abroad, there are usually many signs in both languages which helps facilitate a 2nd or 3rd language, and reinforces school lessons. In the US, once you walk out of a classroom, most of your use for another language is gone/ So there is no reinforcement or need for a 2nd language .
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:12 pm

At one time German was spoken by as large a percent of the population as now speak Spanish.

GF

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:48 pm

casinterest wrote:
cedars747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Problem solved

Many do, Some learn French, some learn Chinese, Some learn German, Some learn Latin, Some learn Hebrew. \

The real issue, is that English gets you by, pretty much where-ever you go. Having traveled abroad, English goes a long way. In some areas, there are those that don't speak English ,and you have to improvise.

But Abroad, there are usually many signs in both languages which helps facilitate a 2nd or 3rd language, and reinforces school lessons. In the US, once you walk out of a classroom, most of your use for another language is gone/ So there is no reinforcement or need for a 2nd language .

I apologize for my mistake, I didn't know that the US doesn't have an official language. My Idea was that spanish language should be valorated in honour to millions of workers who make from the US a great country. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

NIKV69

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm

English is what we speak here. You should learn it if you want to live here. I am not saying you can't speak your native language if you are an immigrant but you should be able to speak English.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Alphazone

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Why would this ever happen. United States has no historical connection to Hispanic culture.
No conclusion can be offered, for the history recounted above is still unfolding.

DGVT

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:59 pm

cedars747 wrote:
I was very impressed on my last visit to the USA because the English language was not necessary, since the majority of workers at hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers, tourist guides, etc. speak Spanish. I wonder why the United States does not consider both English and Spanish as official languages?

You see immigrants are great for cheap labor and watered down tacos. And that is about it, everything else that come with immigrants should stay south of wall!

NIKV69 wrote:
English is what we speak here. You should learn it if you want to live here. I am not saying you can't speak your native language if you are an immigrant but you should be able to speak English.

Exactly the kind of comment I was waiting for.

c933103

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:08 pm

It seems like a number of Chinese immigrants living in the US can spend most of their life there without ever learning English

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Alphazone wrote:
Why would this ever happen. United States has no historical connection to Hispanic culture.

You might review the history of the territory from what is now northern Florida across Texas to California as far north as the Russian River. Santa Fe was a Spanish settlement befor Plymouth, MA

GF

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:29 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Isn't everyone there (except the native Americans) descendants of an immigrant? Isn't Spanish the second-most spoken language in the country and many people, both immigrant and native-born, were raised speaking it?

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:32 pm

I’m a descendant of immigrants—they spoke English getting oof the boat in the 1600s. My father’s got off the boat in 1915 speaking Ukrainian, they learned English. As Teddy Roosevelt said, “there are no hyphenated Americans”. He was a descendant of Dutch background.

GF

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:58 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

English is what YOU speak here.

Many others don't. And they manage to get through their life without bothering you.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I’m a descendant of immigrants—they spoke English getting oof the boat in the 1600s. My father’s got off the boat in 1915 speaking Ukrainian, they learned English. As Teddy Roosevelt said, “there are no hyphenated Americans”. He was a descendant of Dutch background.

GF

What is the problem with learning two languages that are widely spoken in a country at the same time? It could be very productive for the country!

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:13 pm

DGVT wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

You see immigrants are great for cheap labor and watered down tacos. And that is about it, everything else that come with immigrants should stay south of wall!

NIKV69 wrote:

In my opinion cheap labour make the greatness of a country, and you should be proud of them :(

910A

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

You might review the history of the territory from what is now northern Florida across Texas to California as far north as the Russian River. Santa Fe was a Spanish settlement befor Plymouth, MA

GF

Prior to the gold rush of 1848 more people spoke Spanish in California than English, in fact the 1849 California State Constitution required all government bills will be printed in English and Spanish. At the same time period almost no one in New Mexico Territory which included what is now area north of Tucson, Arizona, and what is now Las Vegas spoke English. In short Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California have a long historical connection to the Hispanic culture which continues to this day.

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:31 pm

910A wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

GF

Prior to the gold rush of 1848 more people spoke Spanish in California than English, in fact the 1849 California State Constitution required all government bills will be printed in English and Spanish. At the same time period almost no one in New Mexico Territory which included what is now area north of Tucson, Arizona, and what is now Las Vegas spoke English. In short Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California have a long historical connection to the Hispanic culture which continues to this day.

Wow amazing post, very educational ! Thanks a lot :)

seb146

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:41 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

That is the same attitude that killed many languages and people native to North America. Many Native Americans were beaten if they did not speak English, even in their own private times.

There are large swaths of the South and Midwest that were explored and settled by the French. You would not want to hear everyone speaking French, either, I am guessing.

MAH4546

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 pm

cedars747 wrote:

Where? This high level of bilingualism among all social classes is only common in Miami.
a.

salttee

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 pm

cedars747 wrote:
910A wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Wow amazing post, very educational ! Thanks a lot :)

Prior to the 1848 gold rush, more people in California spoke native dialects than either Spanish or English.
Spain had little influence in California and Mexico even less when James Polk stole it from Mexico.

seb146

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

Where? This high level of bilingualism among all social classes is only common in Miami.

Many cities in California. I have used Spanish in Seattle and Portland and Reno. But, the looks I get in rural areas when I speak Spanish is not welcoming.

MAH4546

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 pm

seb146 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

Many cities in California. I have used Spanish in Seattle and Portland and Reno. But, the looks I get in rural areas when I speak Spanish is not welcoming.

I live in California. I speak fluent Spanish, I don't use it like I do everywhere in Miami, where literally everybody speaks it, even if you're not Latino. That's the difference. I'm not talking about speaking Spanish to a waiter or hotel bellboy or other professions that one commonly interacts with when traveling. That's everywhere in America.
a.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 am

Spain had little influence in California and Mexico even less when James Polk stole it from Mexico.

In the name of fair play, I’d support giving California back. Imagine a California run by the PRI for the last 100 years. Texas, NM and Arizona, not so much.

I’d give anything to see Pelosi’s (from the Pelosis of Baltimore) face when told she has to go to Mexico City to represent SFO, where she resides in a gazillion dollar home.

GF

einsteinboricua

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:37 am

Alphazone wrote:

You really need to brush up on your history.

I'm guessing Colorado, Montana, Nevada, and Florida got their names from Ye Olde English Charter, and that places like Mesa, AZ, Santa Fe, NM, San Antonio,TX, and Los Angeles, CA have names derived from German?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

apodino

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 am

My big question is why don't they teach a second language in school here the way they do overseas. I went through high school and college and was never given the opportunity once in my academic life to learn a second language. Now I have Rosetta Stone trying to learn Spanish, and its a struggle for me.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:38 am

DGVT wrote:

Yes I forgot open borders and staying undocumented is the new normal. To become naturalized you have to read, write and speak basic English, if my father can do it to come here everyone else can too.

vikkyvik wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

English is what YOU speak here.

Many others don't. And they manage to get through their life without bothering you.

Sure don't you love sanctuary cities? Again basic English is a requirement to become naturalized if someone wants to live here they can do it.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:51 am

apodino wrote:
My big question is why don't they teach a second language in school here the way they do overseas. I went through high school and college and was never given the opportunity once in my academic life to learn a second language. Now I have Rosetta Stone trying to learn Spanish, and its a struggle for me.

Three years of French or 2 of French and 2 of Spanish or German were required where I went to high school.

GF

TTailedTiger

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:12 am

When I visit another country I don't expect the people there to cater to my needs. I make sure I am prepared and don't look like an arrogant American. The same should hold true for people visiting the US.

Jouhou

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:15 am

cedars747 wrote:

Lol, oh don't prod our right wingers. Have you seen who our president is? He's the product of people's fears that immigrants are going to turn us into spanish speaking muslims.

Realistically, we're a nation of immigrants and English is just a common language we have to bind us together. The second languages spoken by people here depend on the region of the country you visit. French is spoken more often than Spanish here in Northern New England (it's what I was taught as a second language in school). Spanish is more common towards our southern border. Within cities it has a lot to do with which immigrant groups are most common in that particular city. Asian languages are more common on the west coast. Indigenous languages spoken where indigenous people live. Etc.

Jouhou

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:26 am

NIKV69 wrote:

You probably aren't a good candidate for any city's board of tourism. Not everyone who comes here wants to stay here, many are just visiting for business or leisure.
apodino wrote:

Where and when did you go to school? It has a lot to do with where you grew up, and if your HS education pre-dated the era when US schools realized they needed to teach students other languages if we want to stay competitive in the global economy.

cedars747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 am

Jouhou wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

Lol, oh don't prod our right wingers. Have you seen who our president is? He's the product of people's fears that immigrants are going to turn us into spanish speaking muslims.

Realistically, we're a nation of immigrants and English is just a common language we have to bind us together. The second languages spoken by people here depend on the region of the country you visit. French is spoken more often than Spanish here in Northern New England (it's what I was taught as a second language in school). Spanish is more common towards our southern border. Within cities it has a lot to do with which immigrant groups are most common in that particular city. Asian languages are more common on the west coast. Indigenous languages spoken where indigenous people live. Etc.

I really dont mean right or left wingers,I just wanted to express my deep respect towards the vast majority of working people that make the United States a great country. Presidents comes and goes but hardworking people stays forever.

cedars747
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 am

MAH4546 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

It was actually in New York and I was very surprised.

Jouhou

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

In the name of fair play, I’d support giving California back. Imagine a California run by the PRI for the last 100 years. Texas, NM and Arizona, not so much.

I’d give anything to see Pelosi’s (from the Pelosis of Baltimore) face when told she has to go to Mexico City to represent SFO, where she resides in a gazillion dollar home.

GF

What the hell do you think Mexico City is like? Do you actually think there's no extremely wealthy people living in residences worth millions there?

Also "giving California back" would be incredibly stupid. They are a net donor of tax dollars to the rest of the country and make up a giant chunk of the economy.

It's also only a firm blue state because the gop repeatedly pissed off their own voters starting in the 90s with xenophobic immigration rhetoric and causing general dysfunction in the state government making it close to impossible to pass a damn budget. It's ridiculous that modern conservatives worship the gop but demonize California when it was the GOP's own damn fault they lost that state forever. And they are repeating the same mistakes all over again in Texas.

Oh what was the topic about again? A visitor to the US showing appreciation for our country?

If conservatives want to make the 1000th thread about US immigration politics, be my guest. This isn't the right place to start bringing up "Pelosi"

noviorbis77

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:57 am

Is Spanish the most taught foreign language in US schools?

I don’t know the current in UK, but from my day it was French (although you could have done Spanish or German instead if you wanted to).

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:09 am

c933103 wrote:
It seems like a number of Chinese immigrants living in the US can spend most of their life there without ever learning English

It’s like this in New Zealand as well.

Speaking of NZ we have two official languages Maori and NZ sign language but not English.

B777LRF

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am

c933103 wrote:

The same could be said for American, English, Irish and Australian expats. I have friends who've lived for a decade or more in the Middle East, and yet can only speak a handful of words of Arabic - most them profanities. You may safefly replace the Middle East with any other place on the planet where people with an Anglo background have chosen to settle, and yield the same result.

In my neck of the woods English is mandatory from 1st to 9th grade. It is also mandatory in (our equivalent of) high school, meaning you'll have at least around 12 years of English schooling. A second language is mandatory from 3rd grade, usually German or French, and that also stick with you throughout grammar/high school, although you can change from e.g. German to e.g. Spanish or French. Chinese is now an option in most high schools and colleages. Mandatory foreign language classes only stop once you reach university, but there you'll find a good chunk of the books and lectures may well be in English.
Signature. You just read one.

ltbewr

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:16 am

While there is no 'official' language in the USA, American English is the default one for almost all official acts and day to day life. Many agencies on the Federal and State level offer important announcements and documents in Spanish as well as other languages if popular in a given location. In my area of New Jersey, voter registration forms and mailed info on elections may be in not only in English, but Spanish, Korean, Japanese and/or Polish.

c933103

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:36 am

B777LRF wrote:
c933103 wrote:

The same could be said for American, English, Irish and Australian expats. I have friends who've lived for a decade or more in the Middle East, and yet can only speak a handful of words of Arabic - most them profanities. You may safefly replace the Middle East with any other place on the planet where people with an Anglo background have chosen to settle, and yield the same result.

Expats are still just expats, they might have no intention to live the rest of their life there, unlike the situation I mentioned. It's also just a decade instead of something like half a century

trpmb6

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I can understand what others are saying with context as well as read it quite well. I can speak enough to accomplish what I need when traveling, but to be honest it's usually not necessary as most people speak enough english in high tourism areas that it's not absolutely necessary.

It does make for interesting soccer matches when playing against a majority hispanic team. They seem oblivious to the fact that I know exactly what they are saying sometimes.

Despite what some on the left in this thread would have you believe, the vast majority of us "right wingers" aren't racist. They just try to interpret every policy position a person on the right takes as having some form of racist or misogynist undertone because it plays well into their playbook. You could say, I don't like roses because I'm allergic to them. And someone on the left would accuse you of hating the color red. (someone will probably say I'm being discriminatory against all the other colors of Roses by assuming all roses are Red...)

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:05 pm

What the hell do you think Mexico City is like? Do you actually think there's no extremely wealthy people living in residences worth millions there?

Yes, I’ve been there and, much like San Francisco, there’s plenty of wealthy, rent seeking cohorts in both places. SFO has higher income and wealth inequality, plenty of homeless and fecal matter on the streets, Nancy Pelosi will be tight home in MEX.

GF

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Again basic English is a requirement to become naturalized if someone wants to live here they can do it.

One can learn enough English to become a citizen, without being able to carry on any daily conversation in English.

NIKV69 wrote:
Sure don't you love sanctuary cities?

I didn't mention anything about sanctuary cities, or illegal immigrants.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cledaybuck

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:11 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Despite what some on the left in this thread would have you believe, the vast majority of us "right wingers" aren't racist. They just try to interpret every policy position a person on the right takes as having some form of racist or misogynist undertone because it plays well into their playbook.
Or because the head of your party is a racist misogynist.

trpmb6

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:16 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

One can learn enough English to become a citizen, without being able to carry on any daily conversation in English.

Just thought I would post what "enough" english means in regards to naturalization in the US:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test/study-materials-english-test

The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. For the reading portion, you must read one out of three sentences correctly. For the writing test, you must write one out of three sentences correctly. Several study tools are available to help you prepare.

While that may not seem all that difficult, it can be in practice. A coworker of mine who is quite fluent in english (has lived here for 10+ years now) just went through this. He still felt nervous about it because his english, while understandable and largely correct, still shows moments of "broken" english. He of course passed though, as I expected.

What many don't realize is the USCIS officer is evaluating you from the moment you enter their office.

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Just thought I would post what "enough" english means in regards to naturalization in the US:https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test/study-materials-english-test

It's completely possible that the people I know who have become citizens without knowing much English qualified for the language exemption. Not sure.

Also, even if you do learn enough English to become a citizen, if you don't use it in your daily life, your skills will certainly regress.

B777LRF

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:30 pm

c933103 wrote:
Expats are still just expats, they might have no intention to live the rest of their life there, unlike the situation I mentioned. It's also just a decade instead of something like half a century

I don't quite agree with that. To me it's the same disinterest in learning a foreign language, whether you're a permanent or temporary long-term resident. Another example would be the vast swathes of people from the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia etc. who've sold up and moved permanently to Spain, Portugal, Italy or France. You'd be hard pressed finding any of them attempting to learn the local lingo, and they're planning on staying until expiration date.
Signature. You just read one.

trpmb6

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Just thought I would post what "enough" english means in regards to naturalization in the US:https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test/study-materials-english-test

It's completely possible that the people I know who have become citizens without knowing much English qualified for the language exemption. Not sure.

Also, even if you do learn enough English to become a citizen, if you don't use it in your daily life, your skills will certainly regress.

I unfortunately don't have any personal experience with naturalization beyond co-workers or in one case a family friend, all of whom were bilingual at an early age and have some form of higher education.

I don't believe the test is extremely difficult, I kind of view it as our version of a weed-out test you'd see in college.

One thing we don't consider is the cost associated with producing materials / websites / call centers /etc for multiple languages. Pretty sure most call centers have Spanish options at this point, and have done so for some time. Websites and other materials I'm not so sure. Have to be careful when translating things that can have a significant legal impact if mis-translated. So you can't just use google translate to transcribe it for you. But at the same time we should also consider all of our citizens when they need to deal with the government - whether it be paying taxes, trying to apply for a job or seeking aid in some form. Where do you draw the line though? A certain % of the population? Do we need to provide everything in Arabic as well? German? French? Why shouldn't we be producing documents in more native languages?

Ultimately it comes down to efficiency of government and costs.

ac888yow

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Learn from us. Don't do it.

Signed,

Most of Canada