trpmb6

Re: Why doesn't the United States make both English and Spanish as official languages?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:16 pm

B777LRF wrote:
c933103 wrote:
Expats are still just expats, they might have no intention to live the rest of their life there, unlike the situation I mentioned. It's also just a decade instead of something like half a century

I don't quite agree with that. To me it's the same disinterest in learning a foreign language, whether you're a permanent or temporary long-term resident. Another example would be the vast swathes of people from the UK, Germany, Netherlands, Scandinavia etc. who've sold up and moved permanently to Spain, Portugal, Italy or France. You'd be hard pressed finding any of them attempting to learn the local lingo, and they're planning on staying until expiration date.

Something I have recently found to be kind of funny is how everyone talks about globalism, open borders, etc. But when it comes to culture and national identity it changes. People talk about nationalism being a bad thing until you talk about destruction of local culture.

Its why some scoff at the idea of that caravan that is heading northwards to the US, while they march along with flags from the countries they are leaving. Not exactly the right message to send. If you want to come enjoy the economic benefits of this great country, you need to embrace what makes this country so great in the first place. I'm not saying you have to shed your heritage or culture completely, but it kind of starts by saying my old country has failed us, lets raise the flag of a new country where we might find success.

Alphazone

Re: Why doesn't the United States make both English and Spanish as official languages?

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:06 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Alphazone wrote:
Why would this ever happen. United States has no historical connection to Hispanic culture.

You really need to brush up on your history.

I'm guessing Colorado, Montana, Nevada, and Florida got their names from Ye Olde English Charter, and that places like Mesa, AZ, Santa Fe, NM, San Antonio,TX, and Los Angeles, CA have names derived from German?

It means nothing, because culturally the people of United States are the Anglo-Saxon Protestant people.

This is a different conception from Native American tribes.

I should clarify my words. United States culture has no connection to Hispanic culture.
Hispanic culture is Hispanic culture.
No conclusion can be offered, for the history recounted above is still unfolding.

Ken777

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:25 pm

I am a believer that they ability to speak and read English should be a requirement for citizenship. That may mean that we, the taxpayers, should be paying for the classes. In schools there should be intensive English courses to bring students to a reasonable standard. That is worth our effort because it can increase long term tax revenues at all levels. For older immigrants there can be ongoing courses.

English speaking abilities can be pretty important when talking to a ER doctor or your kids teachers, or having a conversation with a police officer when you get pulled over. Increased incomes as well as the ability to become a citizen.

It should be noted that a lot of products have bi-lingual information/directions printed on labels. Many stores (like Home Depot and Lowes) have long supported bi-lingual information for locations in the store. These are efforts to support customers who don't speak English as well as increasing their revenues from these people.

seb146

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:37 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I can understand what others are saying with context as well as read it quite well. I can speak enough to accomplish what I need when traveling, but to be honest it's usually not necessary as most people speak enough english in high tourism areas that it's not absolutely necessary.

It does make for interesting soccer matches when playing against a majority hispanic team. They seem oblivious to the fact that I know exactly what they are saying sometimes.

Despite what some on the left in this thread would have you believe, the vast majority of us "right wingers" aren't racist. They just try to interpret every policy position a person on the right takes as having some form of racist or misogynist undertone because it plays well into their playbook. You could say, I don't like roses because I'm allergic to them. And someone on the left would accuse you of hating the color red. (someone will probably say I'm being discriminatory against all the other colors of Roses by assuming all roses are Red...)

The problem is the attitude of Republicans. This whole "oh, well. We don't care. We support our leader no matter what and so should everyone else" with zero hint of irony. I would go so far as to say Republicans are staunchly "party before country" very much more so than Democrats.

There is nothing wrong with speaking out against your party leadership. There is nothing wrong with those in positions of power speaking out against bad behavior. Maybe if Republican voters would hold ALL your party leaders accountable, we could get this country back on track to being the greatest again.

Republicans who cry about "I should not have to press 1 for English" forget that private companies can do as they please. And, if that means making it easier for more people to have access to that company, why not? There is a large Spanish speaking population here. Companies see dollar signs. It is not un-American, it is not racist. It is making more money by expanding the client base. IMO, they should also include pressing 3 for Mandarin.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

apodino

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 pm

seb146 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I can understand what others are saying with context as well as read it quite well. I can speak enough to accomplish what I need when traveling, but to be honest it's usually not necessary as most people speak enough english in high tourism areas that it's not absolutely necessary.

It does make for interesting soccer matches when playing against a majority hispanic team. They seem oblivious to the fact that I know exactly what they are saying sometimes.

Despite what some on the left in this thread would have you believe, the vast majority of us "right wingers" aren't racist. They just try to interpret every policy position a person on the right takes as having some form of racist or misogynist undertone because it plays well into their playbook. You could say, I don't like roses because I'm allergic to them. And someone on the left would accuse you of hating the color red. (someone will probably say I'm being discriminatory against all the other colors of Roses by assuming all roses are Red...)

The problem is the attitude of Republicans. This whole "oh, well. We don't care. We support our leader no matter what and so should everyone else" with zero hint of irony. I would go so far as to say Republicans are staunchly "party before country" very much more so than Democrats.

There is nothing wrong with speaking out against your party leadership. There is nothing wrong with those in positions of power speaking out against bad behavior. Maybe if Republican voters would hold ALL your party leaders accountable, we could get this country back on track to being the greatest again.

Republicans who cry about "I should not have to press 1 for English" forget that private companies can do as they please. And, if that means making it easier for more people to have access to that company, why not? There is a large Spanish speaking population here. Companies see dollar signs. It is not un-American, it is not racist. It is making more money by expanding the client base. IMO, they should also include pressing 3 for Mandarin.

Many conservative and right leaning people outside of Washington do not support our leaders no matter what, and I hate to say it but its part of the reason Trump got the nomination. Doing so has driven me away from the party and actually had me voting for democrats and republicans in the recent election. Many in the party, especially Utah voters, believe that Trump is hurting the party long term and would really like it if he just went away. One issue is that there are positions being taken on the left that terrify people, especially on immigration and gun control, so much that Trump is a necessary evil in this.

Looking beyond Trump at leaders in the Republican party. Mitch McConnell is hated by almost any right leaning person outside DC but he clings to power. John Bohener and Paul Ryan were both run out of town. Kevin McCarthy, the incoming House Minority leader is not well liked either. Eric Cantor was primaried successfully a few years ago. In Delaware years ago, the GOP felt an idiot losing to Michael Coons was better than what was likely to be a guaranteed GOP senate seat.

It is very difficult though to speak against a president from your own party. And interestingly enough, most of the GOP politicians who did are now out of work.

Francoflier

Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:24 am

cedars747 wrote:
I was very impressed on my last visit to the USA because the English language was not necessary, since the majority of workers at hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers, tourist guides, etc. speak Spanish. I wonder why the United States does not consider both English and Spanish as official languages?

That might be true of a handful of places in the US.
You can indeed live a lifetime in South Florida without the need to speak a word of English, and even then, only in the bigger cities.

But you shouldn't generalize or characterize the whole country based on this. Outside of these places, you wouldn't get very far at all without speaking English.
I'm not sure what you mean by your 'visit to the USA', but I assume that it was limited to a few relatively touristic places towards the south which happen to have a large latino population.
The US is a vast country. Many foreigners don't understand that its many regions/states are so different from one another that you could barely believe they belonged to the same nation, especially when they trod the beaten tourist paths in CA, NY or FL...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

cedars747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Francoflier wrote:
cedars747 wrote:
I was very impressed on my last visit to the USA because the English language was not necessary, since the majority of workers at hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers, tourist guides, etc. speak Spanish. I wonder why the United States does not consider both English and Spanish as official languages?

You can indeed live a lifetime in South Florida without the need to speak a word of English, and even then, only in the bigger cities.

But you shouldn't generalize or characterize the whole country based on this. Outside of these places, you wouldn't get very far at all without speaking English.
I'm not sure what you mean by your 'visit to the USA', but I assume that it was limited to a few relatively touristic places towards the south which happen to have a large latino population.
The US is a vast country. Many foreigners don't understand that its many regions/states are so different from one another that you could barely believe they belonged to the same nation, especially when they trod the beaten tourist paths in CA, NY or FL...

My intention was from the beginning to ask why the United States does not give more importance to the Spanish language since a great majority of its citizens use it daily, and take into account for example that Puerto Rico is a Spanish-speaking island that is part of this country. Don't you think this would motivate many Spanish-speaking citizens to give more importance to the English language?
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

cedars747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:09 pm

My intention was from the beginning to ask why the United States does not give more importance to the Spanish language since a great majority of its citizens use it daily, and take into account for example that Puerto Rico is a Spanish-speaking island that is part of this country. Don't you think this would motivate many Spanish-speaking citizens to give more importance to the English language? I believe that equality makes sense!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

Jouhou

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 pm

cedars747 wrote:
My intention was from the beginning to ask why the United States does not give more importance to the Spanish language since a great majority of its citizens use it daily, and take into account for example that Puerto Rico is a Spanish-speaking island that is part of this country. Don't you think this would motivate many Spanish-speaking citizens to give more importance to the English language? I believe that equality makes sense!

As you can see from our detailing into politics, it's because of... Politics. There's a lot of xenophobia being whipped up about spanish speaking immigrants right now, so even if the language is significant, acknowledging that tends to excite our crazies in a dangerous way.

They also don't seem to get that Americans speaking second languages isn't about immigrants so much as it's about learning an important business language to support good trade relations with spanish speaking countries and attracting tourists. They're just not getting that this discussion is not about immigration.

Glad you visited a cosmopolitan city where you would be shielded by the more ignorant side of U.S. politics. NYC is a top global city and are good at appreciating and handling foreign travelers and foreign business.

trpmb6

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:59 pm

Francoflier wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

This is the most accurate post here.

LAX772LR

Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Alphazone wrote:
Why would this ever happen. United States has no historical connection to Hispanic culture.

This is the most asininely ignorant (of history!) statement I've seen in a long time! :lol:

MAH4546 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Where? This high level of bilingualism among all social classes is only common in Miami.

Many cities in California.

I live in California. I speak fluent Spanish, I don't use it like I do everywhere in Miami, where literally everybody speaks it, even if you're not Latino. That's the difference.

As a trilingual Spanish speaker also in California, I would disagree.

While the penetration isn't of equal degree to Miami... there's essentially nowhere in the city of Los Angeles, and few places in the metro, where you can enter and not have multiple people with a fully comprehensive-if-not-fluent grasp of Spanish assist you, in any way you desire. Or just talk to you.

I mean, from ordering ribs at a shack off Crenshaw, to banking in KoreaTown, to doing a real estate deal with Persians on Westwood, to chatting with parents at an equestrian club watching their kids ride $200,000 ponies... you wouldn't have a problem. I've done all four-- in Spanish. Often.

Houston and San Antonio are more or less the same, as well.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

vikkyvik

Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Alphazone wrote:
because culturally the people of United States are the Anglo-Saxon Protestant people.
Alphazone wrote:
United States culture has no connection to Hispanic culture.
Hispanic culture is Hispanic culture.

Huh???

So all the millions United States citizens that live around me, who are very Hispanic, are not Americans? Or what do you mean?

I think you've amply demonstrated that there's no such thing as "United States culture". There are many, many micro- and macro-cultures within the US.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cedars747
Topic Author

Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:14 pm

I think it's very favorable for Americans to be bilingual because it increases the chances of getting a job and makes the bilingual person an attractive professional for companies.

seb146

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:19 pm

cedars747 wrote:
I think it's very favorable for Americans to be bilingual because it increases the chances of getting a job and makes the bilingual person an attractive professional for companies.

In liberal areas, yes. In conservative areas, no.

I live in a very conservative county in Oregon. We have, at times, four ocean going cargo ships in port, loading up on wood. Crews from those ships come and shop, often using their native language to have private conversations. We have a crew in port now from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh part of the world. Some of us don't care. Others give them the stink eye and move out of their way, muttering bad things about them.

cedars747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

In liberal areas, yes. In conservative areas, no.

I live in a very conservative county in Oregon. We have, at times, four ocean going cargo ships in port, loading up on wood. Crews from those ships come and shop, often using their native language to have private conversations. We have a crew in port now from India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh part of the world. Some of us don't care. Others give them the stink eye and move out of their way, muttering bad things about them.

The challenge is to start from the liberal zones until reaching the conservative areas. The result will be amazing when the United States becomes a bilingual society adopting two of the largest languages in the world. Sounds wonderful!

stl07

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Alphazone wrote:

Every been to puerto rico? Its hard to find any English there

Hispanic culture is prevalent in every boarder state (since they all used to be part of Mexico) as well as Florida

cjg225

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:05 pm

cedars747 wrote:

Since when do a great majority of American citizens speak Spanish every day...?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

cedars747
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 pm

cjg225 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:

Since when do a great majority of American citizens speak Spanish every day...?

Most US Native Speakers By Language
Rank Primary Language Spoken at Home in the US Number of speakers
1 English 231,122,908
2 Spanish 37,458,470
3 Chinese (incl. Cantonese, Mandarin, other Chinese languages) 2,896,766
4 French and French Creole 2,047,467

cjg225

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:35 pm

cedars747 wrote:
1 English 231,122,908
2 Spanish 37,458,470

Perhaps we should review the definitions of "majority" and "minority" before proceeding, as you may have them mixed up.

cedars747
Topic Author

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:54 pm

cjg225 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:
1 English 231,122,908
2 Spanish 37,458,470

Perhaps we should review the definitions of "majority" and "minority" before proceeding, as you may have them mixed up.

Hallo! 37,458,470 is a big number that deserve some sort of recognition! be fair!

sccutler

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:47 pm

seb146 wrote:
The problem is the attitude of Republicans. This whole "oh, well. We don't care. We support our leader no matter what and so should everyone else" with zero hint of irony.

This has to be some of the silliest stuff I've ever read - even on the Internet. Stereotype much?

seb146 wrote:

Indeed.

If someone is offended by a business' choice to cater to customers in the customers' native (or chosen) language, the offended party has the absolute right to take their business elsewhere. Problem solved.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

seb146

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:53 pm

sccutler wrote:
seb146 wrote:
The problem is the attitude of Republicans. This whole "oh, well. We don't care. We support our leader no matter what and so should everyone else" with zero hint of irony.

This has to be some of the silliest stuff I've ever read - even on the Internet. Stereotype much?

The current occupant of the White House lies, blames others, cheats, expands government, has been married three times, has children by different women, keeps secrets, has yet to divest himself from his businesses.... everything Republicans DEMANDED from Obama and Democrats. Remember the marriage equality debate? Gays are ruining marriage because marriage is a sacred pact between one man and one woman? Remember when Republicans demanded small government? Remember when Republicans demanded transparent government?

sccutler wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Indeed.

If someone is offended by a business' choice to cater to customers in the customers' native (or chosen) language, the offended party has the absolute right to take their business elsewhere. Problem solved.

That's right. So, they end up with no choice and complain that there is no where to go. Don't blame the business trying to expand their client base. That's what I am saying.

If you have ever been to the San Francisco Bay Area, you know that advertisements are in three different languages: English, Spanish, and Chinese. If someone is offended by a McDonald's ad in Chinese, that is on the reader, not McDonald's.

Oddly, those who cry about "we speak English here!" never seem to be offended by billboards written in Chinese......

NeBaNi

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:13 pm

cedars747 wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:
1 English 231,122,908
2 Spanish 37,458,470

Hallo! 37,458,470 is a big number that deserve some sort of recognition! be fair!

Also, that only lists primary languages. I'm sure there is a proportion of that 231,122,908 number that also speaks a second language, for example: Spanish.

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:03 am

sccutler wrote:

Indeed.

Sure. The good news is soon there just won't be an elsewhere. Most businesses already cater to Spanish speakers, and the logical progression will be that as society matures, this becomes codified into law. No further problem for anyone.
Much like a GE90, I'm a huge fan of Big Twins...

cjg225

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:21 pm

cedars747 wrote:
[Hallo! 37,458,470 is a big number that deserve some sort of recognition! be fair!

You said it's a majority language. It's not even close to being a majority language.

cedars747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 pm

cjg225 wrote:
cedars747 wrote:
[Hallo! 37,458,470 is a big number that deserve some sort of recognition! be fair!

You said it's a majority language. It's not even close to being a majority language.

Of course after english!

cjg225

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:35 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Also, that only lists primary languages. I'm sure there is a proportion of that 231,122,908 number that also speaks a second language, for example: Spanish.

And, for example... English.

cedars747 wrote:
Of course after english!

Which still makes it quite a minority language, not a majority language.

trpmb6

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm

I suppose we should have ATC ask Pilots to select Alpha or Bravo for English or Spanish too..

(/Sarcasm)

cedars747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:22 pm

cjg225 wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

And, for example... English.

cedars747 wrote:
Of course after english!

Which still makes it quite a minority language, not a majority language.

Well you know what? next time I will spend my vacations on the Island of Puerto Rico, an american soil where the majority speaks spanish. Done with it! Hasta la vista cjg225

DaveFly

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:29 am

I was just talking about this issue today with an old friend. I said that most non-Americans are at least bilingual, but it’s unheard of here. I studied French, German, and Hebrew in high school (at least one additional language was a requirement in NYC in the early-1970s). I don’t know why I chose those languages, except that I thought everything sounded beautiful in French! I still do. But use it or lose it, and I’ve tried to converse in Germany, France, and Israel, but can barely carry on a conversation. Those citizens really do appreciate the effort though, rather than just expecting everyone to speak English. Having said that, however, I don’t think we need any official languages. English is the primary language here, and you won’t get too far without it. But I told my own children to study Spanish in high school, as a practical matter, because it’s commonly spoken here.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

SCQ83

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
It's actually quite telling how Americans expect everyone to speak English when coming here, but also expect people to speak English when THEY go abroad.

From my experience, British are way worse when coming to English.

At least a reasonable number of Americans are 2nd-generation anything and they speak their parents' language (Spanish but also anything like Chinese, Korean, French, etc). Also other languages (again, mostly Spanish but also other languages like French in LA or FL) are very present in the daily life. So at least many American acknowledge that there are other languages. British just don't.

DL717

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:20 pm

cedars747 wrote:

With all the languages out there to learn, its just lazy. Language education in the country has languished over the past couple of decades, most of it being phased out in favor of Spanglish, which is what people from Spain would actually call what we refer to as "Spanish".
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

DL717

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
It's actually quite telling how Americans expect everyone to speak English when coming here, but also expect people to speak English when THEY go abroad.

This is because we led the victory in WWII. It became a necessity to deal with the post war environment. Doesn't need to continue these days, but it does anyway. Its not because we expect it.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

seb146

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:13 pm

DL717 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

This is because we led the victory in WWII. It became a necessity to deal with the post war environment. Doesn't need to continue these days, but it does anyway. Its not because we expect it.

Some Americans do feel a sense of entitlement when they go abroad. There are always reports on Americans complaining about the food in other countries and night life in other countries and basically other countries not being the United States. I find I get better service if I act like I am in someone else's home.

cedars747
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 am

Studies show a clear advantage for bilingual children, which researchers have explained by the greater cognitive flexibility of children who are used to moving from one system of symbols to another. It is a kind of gymnastics for the brain that would increase its performance.

LMP737

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Alphazone wrote:

It means nothing, because culturally the people of United States are the Anglo-Saxon Protestant people.

I've always found that sort of statement to be a tad odd. Are you referring to the Anglo-Saxon tribes that conquered Britain in the fifth century? If you are you would find their culture to be much different from what your culture is. If they tried to explain it you would have a very difficult understanding them as the English they spoke is very different from what we speak today. If I remember my history correctly Anglo-Saxon culture changed rather dramatically in 1066.

So no, we are not an Anglo-Saxon people.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 am

Nice try, but you’ve never heard of WASPs?

Gf

LMP737

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:37 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Nice try, but you’ve never heard of WASPs?

Gf

Yes I have. I've just found the use of the term to be a bit inaccurate historically speaking.

Alphazone

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 am

LMP737 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

I've always found that sort of statement to be a tad odd. Are you referring to the Anglo-Saxon tribes that conquered Britain in the fifth century? If you are you would find their culture to be much different from what your culture is. If they tried to explain it you would have a very difficult understanding them as the English they spoke is very different from what we speak today. If I remember my history correctly Anglo-Saxon culture changed rather dramatically in 1066.

So no, we are not an Anglo-Saxon people.

With respect, I find your comment useless, you have added nothing and you have not contradicted my claim with any facts.
No conclusion can be offered, for the history recounted above is still unfolding.

LMP737

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 am

Alphazone wrote:

With respect, I find your comment useless, you have added nothing and you have not contradicted my claim with any facts.

Instead of saying It means nothing, because culturally the people of [i]United States are the Anglo-Saxon Protestant people.[/i] just say what you are actually thinking. Which is unless you are white and protestant you are not a true American.

As for your "claim" that's exactly what it is, a claim not backed up by any facts.

Alphazone

Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 pm

LMP737 wrote:
Alphazone wrote:

Instead of saying It means nothing, because culturally the people of [i]United States are the Anglo-Saxon Protestant people.[/i] just say what you are actually thinking. Which is unless you are white and protestant you are not a true American.

As for your "claim" that's exactly what it is, a claim not backed up by any facts.

You are imagining something I didn't write, I am talking about the cultural roots of the United States. If you have gone to school in this country which offers civics and American history class, you will know that it's not possible to argue with what I wrote.

CitizenJustin

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Spain had little influence in California and Mexico even less when James Polk stole it from Mexico.

In the name of fair play, I’d support giving California back. Imagine a California run by the PRI for the last 100 years. Texas, NM and Arizona, not so much.

I’d give anything to see Pelosi’s (from the Pelosis of Baltimore) face when told she has to go to Mexico City to represent SFO, where she resides in a gazillion dollar home.

GF

Giving away California, an economy that now surpasses France? That would be devastating to the U.S., but you dislike their politics, so who cares, right? Talk about placing politics over country. Very childish, and sad Galaxy.

LMP737

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 am

Alphazone wrote:

You are imagining something I didn't write, I am talking about the cultural roots of the United States. If you have gone to school in this country which offers civics and American history class, you will know that it's not possible to argue with what I wrote.

What school did you go to? Given the things you have said on this thread it's obvious that it failed. To say for example that the USA has no connection with the Hispanic culture ignores a good portion of this countries history.

To say that culturally that were an anglo-saxon protestant people is just to ignore history.

LMP737

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:51 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

In the name of fair play, I’d support giving California back. Imagine a California run by the PRI for the last 100 years. Texas, NM and Arizona, not so much.

I’d give anything to see Pelosi’s (from the Pelosis of Baltimore) face when told she has to go to Mexico City to represent SFO, where she resides in a gazillion dollar home.

GF

Really? You should know better GF. But if kicking a state out of the union because you don't like a particular politician let me nominate Iowa's return to France. Because I really find Rep. Steve King to be a repugnant ignoramus who would probably burn crosses on peoples lawns if he could get away with it.