Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

The Global Diabetes Epidemic

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Diabetes is becoming a global epidemic and I was shocked to see this article about India:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 736488.cms

China is going through the same thing. The traditional Chinese and Indian dishes are loaded with herbs and spices and appear to be healthier than western food. When I was in China, I lost a bunch of weight both times. I think that the introduction of Western cuisine (particularly fast food) is wreaking havoc on the Chinese and Indian population.

And the US is going through this too and many fast food chains aren't offering many healthy options. An example would be McDonald's who got rid of the McWraps a few years ago and replaced it with all-day breakfast. I thoroughly enjoyed the McWraps and was disappointed to see them removed from the menu.

I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic, however I was eating lots of unhealthy food (pizza, fast food, fried chicken strips) and drinking lots of sugary drinks. I'm 5'10 and was almost 200 lbs. I've been on a healthier diet since the beginning of September and I've lost about 30 lbs.

Radical changes to our eating habits as well as exercise would go a long way towards combating the diabetic epidemic.

Ken777

Re: The Global Diabetes Epidemic

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:32 pm

The US got a huge start of gaining weight when the size of meals went through the roof. It started in movie theaters when they realized that they only get one chance to make money off fold and drinks so they started making "biggies" available. Another dollar or so from an extra 2 cents of product. Now you go out to eat and the plate is loaded. We do cheat when we get something that we know the grandkids will like for lunch the next day, Take homes are easy.

Another critical issue is the cutting fo funds for PhysEd in the schools. Toss in "notes from Doctors" excuse the plumped students from exercise. It should be fairly easy to add low impact, easy exercise routines that are not available to Dr. Excuses. Toss in some music to set the rhythm for the exercise and get them at least walking.

It's also time IMO to add a "diabetes tax" one excessive sugar levels in foods and drinks. The funds are needed to increase testing (especially in the schools) and to provide meds to those who cannot afford it.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Ken777 wrote:
The US got a huge start of gaining weight when the size of meals went through the roof. It started in movie theaters when they realized that they only get one chance to make money off fold and drinks so they started making "biggies" available. Another dollar or so from an extra 2 cents of product. Now you go out to eat and the plate is loaded. We do cheat when we get something that we know the grandkids will like for lunch the next day, Take homes are easy.

Another critical issue is the cutting fo funds for PhysEd in the schools. Toss in "notes from Doctors" excuse the plumped students from exercise. It should be fairly easy to add low impact, easy exercise routines that are not available to Dr. Excuses. Toss in some music to set the rhythm for the exercise and get them at least walking.

It's also time IMO to add a "diabetes tax" one excessive sugar levels in foods and drinks. The funds are needed to increase testing (especially in the schools) and to provide meds to those who cannot afford it.

I think a diabetes tax sounds very interesting! I don't know if that would ever go through, though. When I was in Hong Kong in 2005, I went to an "American-style" restaurant and they literally had this printed on the menu: "Warning! We serve American-size portions." I ate almost exclusively Chinese and other Asian food and I lost a bunch of weight, in fact, too much weight that I passed out in public due to low blood sugar levels.

But yes, the portions have got to be smaller and sugary drinks should be avoided. I've recently switched to drinking only water for my beverages. I read that even "100% fruit juices" are no different to drinking soft drinks, due to the high sugar content. But eating right and exercising is the key.

luckyone

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Not a big surprise as you introduce processed food into an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. It shouldn't come as a shock that diabetes will surface when you combine poor eating habits with less walking (ie cars) and increasingly suburban living.

DL717

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:48 pm

Ken777 wrote:

High fructose corn syrup is killing people. Has been for decades. I think about the stuff I ate as a kid and it’s shocking what people eat today. In the last couple of years, I cut back on the soda and picked up tea. When I do get fast foot, I get the equivalent of a kids meal, which is what they served adults when I was a kid. Had moderately high blood sugar, and that’s gone now. Chain restaraunts are on every corner now serving portions twice what anyone needs. It’s not a shock this is a problem.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:16 pm

While (some) Govts. have the balls to restrict tobacco consumption, use, and advertising, to ultimately reduce the number of cancers associated with tobacco, it's rare to find a Govt. that would restrict junk food use. I've heard that in some European countries, that they have regulated the marketing of junk food to children on TV shows that children would be watching. I think the best we can hope for in the US, is the Govt. restricting "adult" product advertising on children's shows. Like liquor and beer, for example.

The US Public Schools would be a great place to indoctrinate children with what is and what is not healthy to eat. The suppliers of fat and sugar however would have an army to lobby against such "education." "How dare the schools try to 'draw a line' for food consumption education!" Simply removing junk food from the school environment does not equal a proper education into the many kinds and ways you can eat that are unhealthy. And then "schooling" the kids, still doesn't school their parents, or parent, if that is the case.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:36 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
And the US is going through this too and many fast food chains aren't offering many healthy options. An example would be McDonald's who got rid of the McWraps a few years ago and replaced it with all-day breakfast.

Gone through it, really I think the US is well past going though it, you’re neck deep in chub.

Aesma

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Here a sin tax on sugary drinks has been introduced a few years ago. It has led to producers reducing sugar content in their drinks.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DGVT

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:03 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
Diabetes is becoming a global epidemic and I was shocked to see this article about India:

China is going through the same thing. The traditional Chinese and Indian dishes are loaded with herbs and spices and appear to be healthier than western food. When I was in China, I lost a bunch of weight both times. I think that the introduction of Western cuisine (particularly fast food) is wreaking havoc on the Chinese and Indian population.

And the US is going through this too and many fast food chains aren't offering many healthy options. An example would be McDonald's who got rid of the McWraps a few years ago and replaced it with all-day breakfast. I thoroughly enjoyed the McWraps and was disappointed to see them removed from the menu.

I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic, however I was eating lots of unhealthy food (pizza, fast food, fried chicken strips) and drinking lots of sugary drinks. I'm 5'10 and was almost 200 lbs. I've been on a healthier diet since the beginning of September and I've lost about 30 lbs.

Radical changes to our eating habits as well as exercise would go a long way towards combating the diabetic epidemic.

It’s funny that you bring up Asia. The same happened to me. After having spent a few months in HK and Singapore and mainly eating local food, I lost quite some weight. On one hand I’m not quite surprised as they seem to use more vegetables, less processed food and healthier sources for carbs, on the other hand they still do use a lot of animal fat and depending on the region they really like pork.

Also what I have noticed is that the rather slim Asians are getting fater and fater, especially small kids. I wonder if the increased popularity of western (junk) food (KFC & McDonalds, Sodas) is a driver and how that will play out in the long term.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:53 pm

DGVT wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

It’s funny that you bring up Asia. The same happened to me. After having spent a few months in HK and Singapore and mainly eating local food, I lost quite some weight. On one hand I’m not quite surprised as they seem to use more vegetables, less processed food and healthier sources for carbs, on the other hand they still do use a lot of animal fat and depending on the region they really like pork.

Also what I have noticed is that the rather slim Asians are getting fater and fater, especially small kids. I wonder if the increased popularity of western (junk) food (KFC & McDonalds, Sodas) is a driver and how that will play out in the long term.

I heard once that most Chinese people had never heard of/experienced things like diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease, that is until McDonald's, KFC and Pizza Hut opened up in China, resulting in the rapidly increasing health problems they are experiencing today. In their quest for modernization, many Chinese people have sacrificed their traditional diet and are trying to be like Americans. And yes, they really love pork; it's probably their most popular meat!

seat64k

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:08 am

DGVT wrote:

Interesting tidbit: Hong Kong has the highest per-capita meat consumption in the world (664g/day/capita according to HKU). Waaaay ahead of the 2nd contender (New Zealand, IIRC). Hong Kong also has among the highest life expectancy in the world.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/what-the-world-eats/
https://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_17940.html
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/02/heal ... index.html

I'm a little suspicious that some of the consumption include meat boiled down for soups (I don't know how much of the meat will then end up being consumed), and that at least some of the meat will (illegally) find its way into China. Nevertheless, I can attest to the meatiness of the cuisine in general.

Back to the obesity topic, looking around those Nat Geo graphs, it's plain to see why people are getting fatter. 3600 kcal is more than most people need. I'm 6'0 230lbs, I lift and run, I commute mostly by foot, and my TDEE is nowhere near 3600 kcal.

stratclub

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:30 am

seat64k

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:18 pm

stratclub wrote:

I take issue with this line from the article:

Bad food is cheap, heavily promoted, and engineered to taste good. Healthy food is hard to get, not promoted, and expensive.

This actually annoys me. The first part is trivially true. Expressed as a cost per calorie, "bad food" is cheap. Maybe it's cheaper than a microwave meal from H&B. Maybe it's cheaper than a healthy option in the same restaurant.

But the idea that healthy food is either hard to get or expensive is straight up BS. I've been to the US many times (have family there), and I've lived in the UK. I've done grocery shopping in both places and cooked for an entire family. Even in small towns, you have a variety of cheap groceries that is unthinkable in much of the developing world. And then there are farmers markets in just about every city/town that's near a farm. Almost always cheaper than grocery stores for much fresher produce.

In the article the author talks about buying a McDonalds meal for $12. For less than $12 USD I cook lunch for a whole week. And I live in an expensive city state that imports almost all their food. In fact, I looked up the prices for the ingredients I use on Wallmart's website, and it came to $10.8, and I'll have food leftover because I had to get some things in bigger quantities. Add the spices and other condiments I use, and I'll round it up to $12. And that's for 5 meals. And I haven't even looked at buying in bigger quantities - could have knocked $2 off on the meat alone but I went for organic grass-fed beef.

Seriously, cost and availability is a pretty terrible excuse if you live almost anywhere in the developed world, and particularly in the US.

slider

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:17 pm

One word: SUGAR

It is the most destructive thing that exists from a health and nutrition standpoint.

Layered on top of that foundation is preservatives, processed foods, empty carbs, and it's no wonder people are fat, diabetic, sick. Sugar is detrimental to literally every human system--you can't heal naturally, you can't maintain a good biochemical balance, and it impacts everything from energy levels to skin, organ function, sleep and rest cycles, visual acuity, digestion, sexual function, brain and memory, EVERYTHING.

For anyone here who has heard of or has done the Whole 30, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Adding to this, at least in the USA, is that the USDA's "food pyramid" is total horseshit. It was originally constructed with the "influence" of the farming industry, so telling people they should be heavy on grains and dairy is literally the opposite of good health advice. Eating whole food, unprocessed, as much as possible is really key to basic health and wellness and the truth is finally getting out there.

But breaking the literal addiction to sugar is hard to do.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:12 pm

slider wrote:

It is the most destructive thing that exists from a health and nutrition standpoint.

Layered on top of that foundation is preservatives, processed foods, empty carbs, and it's no wonder people are fat, diabetic, sick. Sugar is detrimental to literally every human system--you can't heal naturally, you can't maintain a good biochemical balance, and it impacts everything from energy levels to skin, organ function, sleep and rest cycles, visual acuity, digestion, sexual function, brain and memory, EVERYTHING.

For anyone here who has heard of or has done the Whole 30, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Adding to this, at least in the USA, is that the USDA's "food pyramid" is total horseshit. It was originally constructed with the "influence" of the farming industry, so telling people they should be heavy on grains and dairy is literally the opposite of good health advice. Eating whole food, unprocessed, as much as possible is really key to basic health and wellness and the truth is finally getting out there.

I've been on the Whole30 diet for a few months now (with some deviations) and I've gotten excellent results. I'm 5'10, and back at the beginning of September, I weighed almost 200 lbs, my triglycerides were 1,419 (should be below 150) and my overall cholesterol was 279 (should be below 200). Since then, I've adjusted my diet, quit drinking sugary drinks and have been doing a lot of walking. They did another blood test on Monday: I weigh 170 lbs, my triglycerides were 121 and my cholesterol was 165. In the past few months, I've walked over 75 miles and I have a much better outlook on life.

I have bipolar disorder and 5 years ago, my doctors told me that I would feel much better physically, emotionally and mentally if I would just eat healthy and exercise. It took 5 years for me to listen to their advice. I'm much healthier now and there's no turning back for me. I'm going to be healthy and will live a longer life as a result!

But yes sugar is dangerous. I have noticed a rapid change in my health by forgoing sugary drinks. Even the fruit juices (which I like) are full of sugar and unhealthy. We've all got to eat better and exercise. I enjoy being healthier than I was.

slider

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Iloveboeing wrote:
slider wrote:

I've been on the Whole30 diet for a few months now (with some deviations) and I've gotten excellent results. I'm 5'10, and back at the beginning of September, I weighed almost 200 lbs, my triglycerides were 1,419 (should be below 150) and my overall cholesterol was 279 (should be below 200). Since then, I've adjusted my diet, quit drinking sugary drinks and have been doing a lot of walking. They did another blood test on Monday: I weigh 170 lbs, my triglycerides were 121 and my cholesterol was 165. In the past few months, I've walked over 75 miles and I have a much better outlook on life.

I have bipolar disorder and 5 years ago, my doctors told me that I would feel much better physically, emotionally and mentally if I would just eat healthy and exercise. It took 5 years for me to listen to their advice. I'm much healthier now and there's no turning back for me. I'm going to be healthy and will live a longer life as a result!

But yes sugar is dangerous. I have noticed a rapid change in my health by forgoing sugary drinks. Even the fruit juices (which I like) are full of sugar and unhealthy. We've all got to eat better and exercise. I enjoy being healthier than I was.

Whoo!!! Congrats!! That's wonderful news to hear--good for you!!! I can't speak highly enough of Whole 30. I try to stay as paleo as I can, but with Whole 30, I realized that dairy was a major trigger for me (which sucks because I love cheese). But it's great to hear another success story in process. I had a buddy of mine get on my case because he said I was becoming a crazy Whole 30 evangelical, haha...but he tried it and finally realized how important it is to encourage others to take it up too.

I think one of the turning points I had was when I went to the grocery store and you realize that LITERALLY ALMOST EVERY DAMN THING has added sugar in it!! It's insidious--alleged "health" foods even. My weakness is beer and meal planning...too much of the former and horrible at the latter. And work travel has made it far more challenging (not impossible though) to stay on track.

To your comment about bipolar disorder, there are a host of various maladies for which proper diet can cure. If given half the chance, the body will heal and sustain itself. But we interrupt the natural processes with poor food, excess sugar and carbs and chemicals that interfere with those functions.

EstherLouise

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 pm

The diabetic agencies keep changing the values of what is and isn't diabetes. A few years ago, my dad had blood sugars of 140 and his doc told him it was fine. The next he went in for a check-up, his glucose level was 122 and the doctor referred him to the diabetes education specialist. With diet, his sugars got down to the 110 area and the doc diagnosed him as full-blown diabetic.

My A1C's are 6.0 and my fasting blood glucose is 117 and I guess that makes me a Type II diabetic. They keep changing the rules. Now they want your fasting glucose to be less than 100. If I'm below 100 in the morning, I'm dizzy.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:55 pm

slider wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:
slider wrote:

Whoo!!! Congrats!! That's wonderful news to hear--good for you!!! I can't speak highly enough of Whole 30. I try to stay as paleo as I can, but with Whole 30, I realized that dairy was a major trigger for me (which sucks because I love cheese). But it's great to hear another success story in process. I had a buddy of mine get on my case because he said I was becoming a crazy Whole 30 evangelical, haha...but he tried it and finally realized how important it is to encourage others to take it up too.

I think one of the turning points I had was when I went to the grocery store and you realize that LITERALLY ALMOST EVERY DAMN THING has added sugar in it!! It's insidious--alleged "health" foods even. My weakness is beer and meal planning...too much of the former and horrible at the latter. And work travel has made it far more challenging (not impossible though) to stay on track.

To your comment about bipolar disorder, there are a host of various maladies for which proper diet can cure. If given half the chance, the body will heal and sustain itself. But we interrupt the natural processes with poor food, excess sugar and carbs and chemicals that interfere with those functions.

Thanks for your kind reply! When my triglycerides were high, I had been eating a lot of fast food, pizza and fried chicken strips from the grocery store, along with drinking a lot of soda and eating a lot of sweets and ice cream. I had an endocrinologist tell me back in 2013 that if I didn't change my eating habits and exercise daily, I would "be a full-blown diabetic in 5 years." I largely ignored that advice, but the blood test back in September was an eye-opener. I really do not want to be a diabetic, so changing my lifestyle was the only way to go. I really hope America will become more health-conscious in the future. The sheer numbers of people with mostly preventative health conditions (many of which are caused by lifestyle choices) are alarming!

Ken777

Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:58 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
The diabetic agencies keep changing the values of what is and isn't diabetes. A few years ago, my dad had blood sugars of 140 and his doc told him it was fine. The next he went in for a check-up, his glucose level was 122 and the doctor referred him to the diabetes education specialist. With diet, his sugars got down to the 110 area and the doc diagnosed him as full-blown diabetic.

My A1C's are 6.0 and my fasting blood glucose is 117 and I guess that makes me a Type II diabetic. They keep changing the rules. Now they want your fasting glucose to be less than 100. If I'm below 100 in the morning, I'm dizzy.

This is one of the problem with diabetes - the medical community keeps changing their minds. When you look at your numbers focus on the A1c as that is a three month result and far more reflective of how you are doing. Since diabetes is a long term problem for you the long term number is the most important for you. Your numbers look pretty good to me. The A1c is 0.01 above a normal range and the older you get the more wiggle room you are allowed.

When I was diagnosed there was no doubt - my A1c was 11+!

I worked pretty hard on it and had two sugar crashes on the way to get into the low 7's. They were very scary as I went down under 40. Now I have the Glucose tablets as well as small bottles of orange juice in the fridge. Small cans of Coke work well, but are too tempting. My goal is to stay around 150 - that gives me a cushion when I start dropping. Under 100 gives me zero protection.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:05 am

slider wrote:

Sugar is definitely a major hindrance to healthy living. The thing is, most sugary drinks and food taste really good! They're made to taste good and I've even heard that they can be addictive, like illegal drugs, especially those made with high-fructose corn syrup. I try to stay away from HFCS if I can. Sometimes it's difficult to avoid, but I am determined to be healthy. I am not going to have a long life if I eat and drink a bunch of junk food all the time. I don't drink alcohol because the psychiatric medication I take would not mix well with it and it would be dangerous.

There needs to be a massive push across the world for healthy lifestyles. Too many countries (especially China) are trying to modernize and be like America. Modernization is good, trying to eat like many Americans do is not. That's a major reason why food-related illnesses across the developing world are rapidly increasing. People need to eat right and exercise daily! They go hand-hand.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 am

^ It's not a myth - researchers have shown time and again in studies that sugar hits the same reward center in the brain as sex and opioids, and even harder in people with hereditary dispositions.

It's too simplistic to blame the fattening up of Asia on western food and Carrefour. If you look at lifestyle changes accompanying economic growth, this part of the world has longer commutes and more two-income households than ever before. That's fewer housewives cooking for kids and less time - bingo processed foods, sweet snacks, and quick-ready meals have taken over.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

cpd

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
slider wrote:

It's pretty great. Don't know that diet, but I discovered fitness through one way or another. It's pretty fantastic, and I don't know about you - but I love exercise (sport actually). Everything is benefit, no drawbacks. Good on you for taking the step.

Redd

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:29 am

Iloveboeing wrote:

This is why there is a fat and diabetes epidemic. The fact that a person would even consider stepping through the doors to places like McDonalds for anything other than the use of the loo is beyond me. Maybe a coffee while on a road trip.

seat64k

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm

slider wrote:

No, this is wrong. It's three words: Sustained caloric surplus. Sugar is only a problem insofar as it makes it easier to sustain a caloric surplus. If your 12oz Coca Cola had 39g of fat instead of 39g of sugar, it would make you fat too.

You can live off mostly twinkies, drop body fat, and improve bio markers. http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/0 ... index.html

The same goes for carbohydrates in general. They've become the boogeyman because cutting out sugar has the desired effects on body composition, but this is possibly one of the best examples of correlation not implying causation. What diets like Whole30 (and other restrictive programs) work is that they cut out almost everything that is calorie dense - you're left with mostly unprocessed, whole foods. It's difficult to overeat on unprocessed, whole foods.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Redd wrote:
Iloveboeing wrote:

This is why there is a fat and diabetes epidemic. The fact that a person would even consider stepping through the doors to places like McDonalds for anything other than the use of the loo is beyond me. Maybe a coffee while on a road trip.

I used to go to McDonald's a lot, but in the past few months, I've only been there once and I had a grilled chicken Southwest Salad. I'm trying to avoid fast food; today, I was going to have lunch at our local Mexican restaurant, but I ultimately decided against it and just went and bought groceries.

Someone once told me that a McDonald's executive many years ago said that McDonald's chief competitor was not Burger King or the other fast food chains, but rather it was the family dinner table. Many people today either don't want or don't know how to cook, yet I tend to believe the former. Eating out all the time is generally easier and quicker, yet the health effects are more severe. People have got to eat healthy and exercise regularly; it's the only way.

Iloveboeing
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:29 am

DL717 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
High fructose corn syrup is killing people. Has been for decades. I think about the stuff I ate as a kid and it’s shocking what people eat today. In the last couple of years, I cut back on the soda and picked up tea. When I do get fast foot, I get the equivalent of a kids meal, which is what they served adults when I was a kid. Had moderately high blood sugar, and that’s gone now. Chain restaraunts are on every corner now serving portions twice what anyone needs. It’s not a shock this is a problem.

You're correct about portion sizes; I heard that back in the 1960s, a standard meal for an adult person was 1 regular hamburger, one small fry and one small soda. Back when I regularly ate at McDonald's, I'd get a 20 piece chicken mcnugget, a large fry and a large soda. I also knew a veteran who was in his 60s, who ate at McDonald's every single day, all three meals. He was over 300 lbs and had bad knees and could barely walk. His doctors refused to do knee replacement surgery until he got his weight below 300 lbs. Unfortunately, he never did and was found dead in his bedroom by his family.

We need to reduce portion sizes; I love to eat as much as the next person, but health should always come first. Tonight, I had some traditional wings from Pizza Hut and I've not been feeling as well since. One of my doctors and my family have said that I don't need to lose anymore weight, but I just don't think that I can go back to eating junk food again. Healthy living is permanently here to stay.