caliboy93
Topic Author

American adventurer and Christian missionary killed by Isolated tribe

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:10 am

John Chau was killed by the members of the Sentilel tribe that inhabits an island in the Bay of Bengal. It is the last known Paleolithic tribe which still lives a prehistoric lifestyle as hunters and gatherers.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 087955002/

It's so important for outsiders to not enter the island, because the tribe has no immunity to diseases like polio and even the common cold. Think of when Columbus and crew brought diseases to N. America which led to demise of many Native Americans.
Last edited by SQ22 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was misleading

Dutchy

Re: American tourist killed by Isolated tribe

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:44 am

John Chau was an idiot. First to go to the island and bring himself and these people in danger, second to bring Christianity. He was lucky he wasn't killed instantly and hopefully these people are fine. Clearly, these people want to be left alone, so leave them.

Why would the Indian government risk the lives of more people to retrieve his body? Leave the remains there, that is the sane cause of action.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

coolian2

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:49 am

Bible toting dipshit meets deserved demise
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

mad99

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:10 am

I guess they weren’t interested?

Aesma

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:18 am

You forgot to say he was a missionary.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

BlueberryWheats

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:22 am

To be fair, who actually ever has a minute to hear about Jesus when they come knocking on the door?

Aaron747

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 am

He went there to convert them, they converted him to lunch. Oh well - he bears full responsibility.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Airstud

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:53 am

Aaron747 wrote:
He went there to convert them, they converted him to lunch.

I was getting all righteous-like as I read the callous-seeming replies up-thread... but hang it; you win. :bigthumbsup:
Pancakes are delicious.

tommy1808

Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:23 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
To be fair, who actually ever has a minute to hear about Jesus when they come knocking on the door?

people in the Paleolithic are probably smarter then we though....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

NIKV69

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:
John Chau was an idiot. First to go to the island and bring himself and these people in danger, second to bring Christianity. He was lucky he wasn't killed instantly and hopefully these people are fine. Clearly, these people want to be left alone, so leave them.

Why would the Indian government risk the lives of more people to retrieve his body? Leave the remains there, that is the sane cause of action.

Wow we don't agree at all on anything but you saved me some typing. Couldn't have said it better.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

A3801000

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:24 pm

If interested why this tribe seems to be aggressive to outsiders I highly recommend this thread on twitter:

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/stat ... 1201989632

Dutchy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:18 pm

A3801000 wrote:
If interested why this tribe seems to be aggressive to outsiders I highly recommend this thread on twitter:

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/stat ... 1201989632

Thanks, interesting indeed.

Dutchy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:19 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Wow we don't agree at all on anything but you saved me some typing. Couldn't have said it better.

You confuse me, do you or don't you agree with me?

WIederling

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
He went there to convert them, they converted him to lunch. Oh well - he bears full responsibility.

I hope they are aware of the infection risk and cook him thoroughly.
Murphy is an optimist

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:03 pm

As usual in history, you can blame most contemporary pathologies on the British colonialists. Then again, so to the Spanish, Dutch, French and Portuguese colonialists. But, mostly, British.

GF

NIKV69

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Couldn't have said it better.

You confuse me, do you or don't you agree with me?

That means your assessment is spot on. 8-)
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Kno

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

GDB

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:56 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
As usual in history, you can blame most contemporary pathologies on the British colonialists. Then again, so to the Spanish, Dutch, French and Portuguese colonialists. But, mostly, British.

GF

Your statement rather reminds me of this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNr0s5hva8

Just swap some examples with 'discovery, trade, the industrial revolution' to name three obvious ones.
And yes some missionaries too.
But not now, not really since the 1920's in any numbers, their heyday being in the late 19th/early 20th centuries.
There is however an very ex British colony that does pump out Christian missionaries, as this news story shows.

I read that both those in the boat who carried him and the Indian government warn about going near this tribe.
Maybe he thought god would protect him.

seb146

Re: American adventurer and Christian missionary killed by Isolated tribe

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:48 pm

There are a few hundred tribes in the Amazon basin that have little to no contact with outsiders.

There are many works on uncontacted people around the world. How is it so difficult to Google it and find out why they are uncontacted?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TTailedTiger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:05 pm

The guy was certainly a moron for going into the territory but I can't condone murder like some here appear to be doing.

alfa164

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
John Chau was an idiot. First to go to the island and bring himself and these people in danger, second to bring Christianity. He was lucky he wasn't killed instantly and hopefully these people are fine. Clearly, these people want to be left alone, so leave them. Why would the Indian government risk the lives of more people to retrieve his body? Leave the remains there, that is the sane cause of action.

I understand the government is concerned that the rotting remains may risk the lives of the people there, as well; they are equally concerned that an attempt to recover the remains might also bring unwanted pathogens to the isolated people. I haven't seen what the final decision will be.

And, yes, anyone so simple-minded and blinded by dogma - who has no respect for the traditions and beliefs of this remote tribe, but thinks they should kow-tow to his way of "thinking" - is an inexcusable menace to both the tribe and to himself. Mark Twain had it right:

"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven....The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste."

TTailedTiger wrote:
The guy was certainly a moron for going into the territory but I can't condone murder like some here appear to be doing.

He was invading their rightfully-isolated territory. It is sad, but are they not as entitled to a "Stand your ground" law as the rednecks in Florida? Did you express the same remorse for Treyvon Martin?

TTailedTiger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:28 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
John Chau was an idiot. First to go to the island and bring himself and these people in danger, second to bring Christianity. He was lucky he wasn't killed instantly and hopefully these people are fine. Clearly, these people want to be left alone, so leave them. Why would the Indian government risk the lives of more people to retrieve his body? Leave the remains there, that is the sane cause of action.

I understand the government is concerned that the rotting remains may risk the lives of the people there, as well; they are equally concerned that an attempt to recover the remains might also bring unwanted pathogens to the isolated people. I haven't seen what the final decision will be.

And, yes, anyone so simple-minded and blinded by dogma - who has no respect for the traditions and beliefs of this remote tribe, but thinks they should kow-tow to his way of "thinking" - is an inexcusable menace to both the tribe and to himself. Mark Twain had it right:

"Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven....The higher animals have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the Hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste."

TTailedTiger wrote:

He was invading their rightfully-isolated territory. It is sad, but are they not as entitled to a "Stand your ground" law as the rednecks in Florida? Did you express the same remorse for Treyvon Martin?

Yes I did, Martin didn't deserve to die. The best outcome would have been for both Zimmerman and Martin to spend some time behind bars. Neither could control their anger. And Zimmerman can't seem to stay out of trouble. 25 to life would do him good.

Dutchy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:35 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Yes, in our society we call it murder. But in their society? It is quite different. I think we cannot judge it with the same eyes we can do in our western societies.

Aesma

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 pm

It's self defense not murder.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ltbewr

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 pm

Sadly, their are some nutcase prophesying Christians that believe that to convert 'heathens' will guarantee them a place in the mythical Heaven. Guess he found out the truth.

TTailedTiger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:16 pm

It's like some of you are talking about animals and this guy should have known better than to go in their cage or sanctuary. Yes he should have known better and kept out. But these are humans we are talking about and they have refused to to join the rest of the world and act civilized. Killing someone is only justified if they pose an immediate threat to you. I firmly believe in being able to defend myself using lethal force but if I came out into my living room and saw a stranger in my house my first reaction would be to ask what they are doing in my home and then tell them to get out. Only if they refuse or become violent would I take further action.

Tugger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:19 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
John Chau was killed by the members of the Sentilel tribe that inhabits an island in the Bay of Bengal. It is the last known Paleolithic tribe which still lives a prehistoric lifestyle as hunters and gatherers.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 087955002/

It's so important for outsiders to not enter the island, because the tribe has no immunity to diseases like polio and even the common cold. Think of when Columbus and crew brought diseases to N. America which led to demise of many Native Americans.

I agree the guy was an idiot and basically earned what happened to him.

However I do feel most sorry for the tribe and how is is trapped and will die. The tribe is completely isolated. While modern society wants to protect and respect it, because there is no room anymore for their way of life and their way of increasing their numbers, they will most assuredly disappear from existence.

But that is the way of the world (which I am fine with ultimately).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Dutchy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Tugger wrote:
However I do feel most sorry for the tribe and how is is trapped and will die. The tribe is completely isolated. While modern society wants to protect and respect it, because there is no room anymore for their way of life and their way of increasing their numbers, they will most assuredly disappear from existence.

Why would they die off? They have survived for the past 55.000years.

alfa164

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:44 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
But these are humans we are talking about and they have refused to to join the rest of the world and act civilized.

There is a considerable question in my mind over who is more "civilized": the group of people who choose to live as their ancestors have taught them to live, or some presumptuous representative of "modern" civilization who thinks he should go and tell them how to he thinks they should live.

I am not convinced his beliefs are based in any more reality than theirs.

TTailedTiger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Tugger wrote:

What is the population of their island?

Tugger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Have you read up on them?

https://www.survivalinternational.org/t ... entinelese

When the British first made attempts to colonise these islands in the 19th century, their population was estimated to be some 8000. Now, their current population is believed to be 150, although a national census based on photos taken from afar put their numbers as low as 15.

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/trau ... 6bffd60059

Their number are too low and declining, to sustain a growing population, They will die off due to increasing genetic concentrations. I suspect they used to make raids on others island tribes to take slaves/people to make their own and grow/maintain their tribe (just conjecture but it was a normal tool for many isolated tribes). This is no longer possible. So they will die off.

Sad but true.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

TTailedTiger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Tugger wrote:

When the British first made attempts to colonise these islands in the 19th century, their population was estimated to be some 8000. Now, their current population is believed to be 150, although a national census based on photos taken from afar put their numbers as low as 15.

Their number are too low and declining, to sustain a growing population, They will die off due to increasing genetic concentrations. I suspect they used to make raids on others island tribes to take slaves/people to make their own and grow/maintain their tribe (just conjecture but it was a normal tool for many isolated tribes). This is no longer possible. So they will die off.

Sad but true.

Tugg

If that is true and they raided land and enslaved others then I see nothing sad about them dying off.

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:00 pm

I guess the deity he was preaching was either unable or unwilling to protect him...or both. But, as we all know, "the Lord works in mysterious ways".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bagoldex

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sad but true.

Tugg

If that is true and they raided land and enslaved others then I see nothing sad about them dying off.

Not unlike Christian missionaries.

Tugger

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sad but true.

Tugg

It was a very normal method for many tribal peoples. The native Americans in north America did it routinely. It was does would the globe by pretty much all tribes.

Tugg

c933103

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Re the pathogen discussion: That's probably why they become hostile against foreigners? Then they probably know how to handle it properly
Re the murder discussion: This is a rather inhumane way of thinking but I would see the island as something similar to the group of animal known as homo sapiens living on the island. Thus it shouldn't be count as murder just like when you wander into a wildlife reserve of tiger and then get killed by those tiger you won't describe the death as a result of murder committed by tiger.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:12 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sad but true.

Tugg

This is how humanity has operated forever basically, up until recent times (arguably). While I obviously don't condone the treatment of Native Americans back in the day, they warred among themselves and conquered each other, might've been conquered if Europeans didn't come, and if they had the means (had they been the advanced explorers), probably would've conquered Europe.

It's not to say they are savages, but they aren't cuddly simple people. They're humans and that is what humans do. It's what your and my ancestors did (well, they were conquerers or were conquered because they themselves were unable to conquer)

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am

Someone tell Franklin Graham and Robert Jeffress they have loads of money and want to know Jesus :rotfl:
E pur si muove -Galileo

johnboy

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:36 am

https://www.joemygod.com/2018/11/mat-st ... hem-jesus/

Oh this is rich. The evil fundamentalist Christians who brainwashed this young man are now wanting his body recovered, no doubt to make a memorial and Christian martyr.

“He wanted to befriend the Sentinelese to share Jesus with them. He loved Jesus more than life. John was a courageous martyr for Jesus. John’s life and his love for Jesus, to the point of giving his own life to bring the gospel to others, will be remembered and will echo throughout eternity. I know that God will bring good out this loss.”

I say let those freaks go get it themselves. Tony Perkins, Mat Staver, Matt Barber, Peter Sprigg, and Peter LaBarbera can all go form a recovery party. Bring along Laura Ingraham, Linda Harvey, and Jeannine Pirro as well.

Hopefully we can get rid of all of them at once.

seb146

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
This is how humanity has operated forever basically, up until recent times (arguably). While I obviously don't condone the treatment of Native Americans back in the day, they warred among themselves and conquered each other, might've been conquered if Europeans didn't come, and if they had the means (had they been the advanced explorers), probably would've conquered Europe.

It's not to say they are savages, but they aren't cuddly simple people. They're humans and that is what humans do. It's what your and my ancestors did (well, they were conquerers or were conquered because they themselves were unable to conquer)

They figured out long ago that people suck. They are more aggressive about it than other tribes. And I applaud them. I would love to live like that. Keep all the annoying and stupid people away; just leave me alone.

I am not going to join them, but I envy them!

BN747

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:29 am

Hmmmm....seems his last words (written in his journal)were 'God, I don't want to die'...

So do his fellow missionary bros like..heed those words? I mean seeing that their god saw him write those words, saw the locals go native on his ass...and god just kept truckin'....!

Waddup with that?

Ye ole 'It was all apart of god's plan' BS won't fly here...

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

johnboy

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:38 am

BN747 wrote:
Hmmmm....seems his last words (written in his journal)were 'God, I don't want to die'...

So do his fellow missionary bros like..heed those words? I mean seeing that their god saw him write those words, saw the locals go native on his ass...and god just kept truckin'....!

Waddup with that?

Ye ole 'It was all apart of god's plan' BS won't fly here...

BN747

No the Fundie Freaks will say, “just like our sweet Savior Jesus in the Garden of Gesthemine,” and start handling snakes and speaking in tongues.

Before they speak out: you all deserve to be made fun of.

Kiwirob

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:19 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Could we send Trump there for a holiday?

Did I miss the part where you became a US citizen?

What that turd does effects everyone on this planet unfortunately, so I’m allowed an opinion on POTUS.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:35 am

Exactly how does US government, run by whoever, affect a Kiwi? Are you materially worse off than under Clinton or Obama? OK, Mitterrand lit off a bomb in Auckland Harbor, he effected you, somehow I don’t see chattering about the French PM here. Do you pay taxes here? Are you subject to US law there? What will he or the US Government possibly don’t effect you? If you don’t like our politics, move here, become a citizen and vote.

Tons of foreigners who cannot conceivably be effected by US policy have loads of opinions on subjects or politicians. It’s like beotching about the moon.

GF

Wacker1000

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:43 am

How dare they not welcome him onto their land with open arms - disgraceful!

I bet their tribal leader stirred nationalist sentiments by concocting lies about outsiders having ill intents, being criminals, and having diseases.

tommy1808

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:10 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
It's like some of you are talking about animals and this guy should have known better than to go in their cage or sanctuary. Yes he should have known better and kept out. But these are humans we are talking about and they have refused to to join the rest of the world and act civilized. Killing someone is only justified if they pose an immediate threat to you..

He was a Christian missionary. "Do as I say or be tortured for all eternity" is a perfectly valid reason to defend one self for someone that doesn't know they are only talking to a crazy person.

Best regards
Thomas

tommy1808

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Exactly how does US government, run by whoever, affect a Kiwi? Are you materially worse off than under Clinton or Obama?

I am pretty sure the price I pay at the pump has lots to do with Trumps support for Iranian hardliners.

Best regards
Thomas

TTailedTiger

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:28 am

There are plenty of people I disagree with ideologically but I wish them no harm nor would I say they deserved it if they were murdered. Like him or not, the guy obviously believed what he was promoting and knew the danger. He put his money where his mouth is. I give him a lot more credit than people like Pat Robertson and Creflo Dollar.

seb146

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:30 am

tommy1808 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Exactly how does US government, run by whoever, affect a Kiwi? Are you materially worse off than under Clinton or Obama?

I am pretty sure the price I pay at the pump has lots to do with Trumps support for Iranian hardliners.

Best regards
Thomas

OPEC hardliners. Like the Saudi Royal Family and Venezuela. They are the ones who set oil prices. Even though the United States gets most of our oil from Canada, we still have to suck up to OPEC.

WIederling

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am

c933103 wrote:
Re the pathogen discussion: That's probably why they become hostile against foreigners? Then they probably know how to handle it properly

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/w ... eath-92014
go down to: "The hostility of the islanders"

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/south-as ... allen-chau
That guy should have been put in a closed metal institution.
Murphy is an optimist