alfa164

Re: American adventurer and Christian missionary killed by Isolated tribe

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:53 pm

LMP737 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I'm still shocked to see people condoning their behavior. It wouldn't be tolerated in any civil society. I can't just stand in my driveway and pick off anyone that gets too close to my property.

So what do you suggest the Indian government should do? Issue arrest warrants and apprehend the guilty parties?

The Indian government has done that; they have issued warrants and apprehended the people who facilitated his trip there. They - and Mr, Chau himself - are the guilty parties.

DeltaMD90

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:57 pm

LMP737 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I'm still shocked to see people condoning their behavior. It wouldn't be tolerated in any civil society. I can't just stand in my driveway and pick off anyone that gets too close to my property.

So what do you suggest the Indian government should do? Issue arrest warrants and apprehend the guilty parties?

I'm also curious as to what TTailedTiger suggests. Yeah, I don't condone the killings, but you have a secluded, primitive tribe of people that have no connection to the outside world or "our values" (the recent ones anyway, I don't think many people 50 years ago would be making a stink of this) so how do you "fix" it?

Go in by force, killing half of them outright and the other half through disease? Tell them to stop killing random people that will occasionally try to go to the tiny island that India has already made off limits?

It's not like they're some tribe that lives on the mainland that does monthly raids into a nearby town, killing a bunch of people and stealing women for sex slaves.

No, make the island off limits and leave them be. Not sure how else you'd remedy the gray area, very infrequent killings

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
From what I have read these primitives have shot at people while they are still on the water.

If the Sentinelese had allowed Chau to mingle with them, and then all the Sentinelese had died from a strain of flu that Chau was carrying (to which they have no immunity), would you simply say "oh, that's the risk that you take when you welcome a stranger onto your property"?

Would you say they still took the moral high road, even though they're now all dead?

Is that an example of a civil society, where one man, through unbelievably reckless and illegal actions, is allowed to wipe out a whole tribe of people?

BarfBag wrote:
In fact, not a single western poster on this thread acknowledged his illegal activities, which to me implies that every westerner posting here is either ignorant of Indian immigration law or thinks it's not something worth following, and instead talk about how 'uncivlized' the Sentinelese are.

:confused: Seems like most of us agree that Mr. Chau was an idiot, and don't fault the Sentinelese...
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BarfBag

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Ho, ho, I suggest you read this thread again. Plenty of people, from all over the world, acknowledges that these people should be left alone and that it was his own fault that he was killed. Before posting this kind of nonsense, I suggest you first read up instead of posting your preconceived ideas about westerners.

Nope. The Sentinelese are not even the topic of this story. Chau is. He might as well have tried proselytizing a salt water croc and been eaten. He could have tried doing so at a major Hindu gatherings, gotten chased away and tripped and hit his head fatally and died. Or hit by a bus.

First and foremost, he was misusing his visa. Even without getting within 1500 kms of the Andamans, he was already breaking Indian law, something absolutely no one acknowledged. "Are you even allowed to preach there without the right kind of visa ?" is question #1. The answer to that is No.

The specific events of his death are irrelevant. The sequence of actions from the moment he broke laws while applying for his entry clearance into India, are what is relevant. Regardless of his intent 'going to visit Sentinel Islands' on ANY visa application would have gotten him an immediate denial.

People appear to be completely unaware of what it takes to get there. You don't simply saunter up to a counter and buy a ferry ticket. You will get refused by pretty much everyone, get told that travel there is forbidden, and that it's not safe to go there, either for the natives or the visitor. And then you make arrangements through subterfuge with someone willing to entertain your gross irresponsibility and stupidity, and travel under cover of darkness to get there.

This 'person of god' is a:
* cheat
* liar
* has no regard for immigration or access restriction laws and willfully breaks them
* willing to bribe people

He came to India supposedly to teach us about Jesus. Turns out he taught us about the Darwin Award. Even my mother knows what that is now.

LMP737

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm

BarfBag wrote:
Nope. The Sentinelese are not even the topic of this story. Chau is. He might as well have tried proselytizing a salt water croc and been eaten. He could have tried doing so at a major Hindu gatherings, gotten chased away and tripped and hit his head fatally and died. Or hit by a bus.

First and foremost, he was misusing his visa. Even without getting within 1500 kms of the Andamans, he was already breaking Indian law, something absolutely no one acknowledged. "Are you even allowed to preach there without the right kind of visa ?" is question #1. The answer to that is No.

The specific events of his death are irrelevant. The sequence of actions from the moment he broke laws while applying for his entry clearance into India, are what is relevant. Regardless of his intent 'going to visit Sentinel Islands' on ANY visa application would have gotten him an immediate denial.

People appear to be completely unaware of what it takes to get there. You don't simply saunter up to a counter and buy a ferry ticket. You will get refused by pretty much everyone, get told that travel there is forbidden, and that it's not safe to go there, either for the natives or the visitor. And then you make arrangements through subterfuge with someone willing to entertain your gross irresponsibility and stupidity, and travel under cover of darkness to get there.

* cheat
* liar
* has no regard for immigration or access restriction laws and willfully breaks them

He came to India supposedly to teach us about Jesus. Turns out he taught us about the Darwin Award. Even my mother knows what that is now.

I don't think you are going to get many people on this thread to argue otherwise.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

BarfBag

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:26 pm

LMP737 wrote:
I don't think you are going to get many people on this thread to argue otherwise.

Maybe so, but too many people are fixated on 'ZOMG, these people are primitive savages. And this guy was an idiot to go to that island'. It has nothing to do with them at all. It's like arguing 'why is the container lorry so big and clumsy ?' after someone who was texting and driving, got crushed under a big truck.

The guys pattern of lies, deceit and efforts to put his life at risk began a long way earlier, from when he logged in to the Indian immigration website to start his entry clearance procedure.

Tugger

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:29 pm

BarfBag wrote:
He came to India supposedly to teach us about Jesus. Turns out he taught us about the Darwin Award.

:rotfl:
You sir may have just won this thread!

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

N14AZ

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:35 pm

I wonder if this was some kind of suicide ... he knew the danger.. he was shot at the day before... and he went back... hmmm.

And what‘s the point of bringing fish to these people? One thing they are NOT lacking is fish.

casinterest

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:29 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I wonder if this was some kind of suicide ... he knew the danger.. he was shot at the day before... and he went back... hmmm.

And what‘s the point of bringing fish to these people? One thing they are NOT lacking is fish.

He went back three times, and was killed on the third attempt. They destroyed his canoe on the 2nd attempt.
He had it in his mind that he was on a mission from God.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/25/asia/mis ... index.html

From the article:
=============================
"Before he left the boat for the last time, Chau wrote one final note to his family and gave it to the fishermen.
"You guys might think I'm crazy in all this but I think it's worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people," it said. "God, I don't want to die."
"Please do not be angry at them or at God if I get killed -- rather please live your lives in obedience to whatever He has called you to and I will see you again when you pass through the veil.""
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

N14AZ

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:59 pm

casinterest wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

He went back three times, and was killed on the third attempt. They destroyed his canoe on the 2nd attempt.

From the article:
"Before he left the boat for the last time, Chau wrote one final note to his family and gave it to the fishermen.
"You guys might think I'm crazy in all this but I think it's worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people," it said. "God, I don't want to die."
"Please do not be angry at them or at God if I get killed -- rather please live your lives in obedience to whatever He has called you to and I will see you again when you pass through the veil.""

Okay, now I am convinced - it WAS suicide. Alternatively a strange kind of obsession...

May he rest in peace...

dtw2hyd

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm

BarfBag wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

Maybe so, but too many people are fixated on 'ZOMG, these people are primitive savages. And this guy was an idiot to go to that island'. It has nothing to do with them at all. It's like arguing 'why is the container lorry so big and clumsy ?' after someone who was texting and driving, got crushed under a big truck.

The guys pattern of lies, deceit and efforts to put his life at risk began a long way earlier, from when he logged in to the Indian immigration website to start his entry clearance procedure.

Can you give a number on what percentage of entire internet population supporting this guys action? His own family don't want to blame the tribe.

Also, you keep quoting every law on the book, without giving specifics of what laws he broke.

North Sentinel is not covered by RAP.
http://www.andamans.gov.in/html/entryformality.html
https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2018/ ... egime.html
https://www.downtoearth.org.in/blog/env ... oups-61778

Did he stay for more than 180 days on this trip to violate FRRO? Even that is electronic registration.

Or you are just doing the cut/paste of Modi/RSS/BJP intelligence wing script routine whenever there is a missionary incident in India.

LMP737

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:30 pm

BarfBag wrote:
Maybe so, but too many people are fixated on 'ZOMG, these people are primitive savages..

Who? Maybe a couple people but they are in the minority.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Dutchy

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

BarfBag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Ho, ho, I suggest you read this thread again. Plenty of people, from all over the world, acknowledges that these people should be left alone and that it was his own fault that he was killed. Before posting this kind of nonsense, I suggest you first read up instead of posting your preconceived ideas about westerners.

* cheat
* liar

Ok, you have made your point and you have a rigid opinion.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

unrave

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 am

dtw2hyd wrote:

Can you give a number on what percentage of entire internet population supporting this guys action? His own family don't want to blame the tribe.

Also, you keep quoting every law on the book, without giving specifics of what laws he broke.

Let us start with doing missionary work on a tourist visa.
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

stratclub

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:18 pm

unrave wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
This is a very interesting case and has spurred me to do cheap research on the island and people. At the end of the day the island is sovereign Indian territory and is subject to the laws of India. The Indian government should have the ability to retrieve, or grant the ability to another party to at least retrieve the body of Chau under peaceful circumstances, but with the ability to defend themselves.

US law allows some kind of self-governance and autonomy to the Native American territories, how do Indian laws for the similar compare/contrast?

Lastly, I totally respect other peoples religion but dont condone shoving it down other peoples throats nor breaking the laws of the land. But I do hope Chau rests in peace and that the Sentinelese have some kind of respect for the people they kill.

If you had researched properly you wouldn't have made the faulty association with Native American tribes. The Sentinelese are far more isolated and primitive. They have repeatedly refused to be contacted and the Indian government has clear laws which prohibit anyone from approaching them. What Chau did was nothing short of approaching a hyena lair to sell them the concept of religion.

I find it appalling that anyone could even for an instant condone the atrocities that were done to the American Aboriginal Indian by us "God Fearing" Europeans. We destroyed their way of life and down right massacred them with the belief that being they were not Christian they were less than human so killing them, forcing them off of the land they had lived on for thousands of years and putting them on reservations was for their own good.

I find it great that the Indian government is showing respect for these present day Aboriginal people and not promoting or allowing the atrocities to happen to them that is a common theme of in our shameful "God Fearing" American history.

NIKV69

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:52 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
What that turd does effects everyone on this planet unfortunately, so I’m allowed to wish death on the POTUS.

Fixed it for you.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

johnboy

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
What that turd does effects everyone on this planet unfortunately, so I’m allowed to wish death on the POTUS.

Fixed it for you.

A gal can dream, can’t she?

notaxonrotax

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:44 pm

BarfBag wrote:

In fact, not a single western poster on this thread acknowledged his illegal activities, which to me implies that every westerner posting here is either ignorant of Indian immigration law or thinks it's not something worth following,

Utterly false.
You lose a lot of credibility by emptying your username on your keyboard and then press Enter.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Pyrex

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:22 am

I just stumbled across this thread and can't be bothered to read all the replies, but I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that there is a high correlation between the people defending the actions of the savages that killed a guy to protect their border (and argue that he had it coming because he was in violation of his visa) and the type of people getting their panties in a twist because the U.S. defended its border recently with non-lethal means from an invasion attempt by people not legally allowed to enter the country. Principals over principles.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

alfa164

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:35 am

Pyrex wrote:
I just stumbled across this thread and can't be bothered to read all the replies, but I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that there is a high correlation between the people defending the actions of the savages that killed a guy to protect their border (and argue that he had it coming because he was in violation of his visa) and the type of people getting their panties in a twist because the U.S. defended its border recently with non-lethal means from an invasion attempt by people not legally allowed to enter the country. Principals over principles.

You obviously should have read the replies, just as you obviously need to bone-up on the law. Mr. Chau was in direct violation of the law (it had nothing to do with his visa; where did that come from?); the asylum seekers (you love to call them "invaders", don't you?) are abiding by the law; the asylum process is clearly delineated. U.S.Law and International Law make specific provisions for asylum seekers; unfortunately, the Trump Administration has been using any tactic it can find to avoid its responsibility and subvert the law. The administration has told the asylum seekers they must enter at the designated points of entry, rather than along the rest of the border, so that is where they went. At the same time, the administration is limiting the volume of asylum seekers allowed at ports of entry. The Department of Homeland Security's Office of Inspector General investigated (as it is supposed to do) and published its report in September, describing the issue of "competing directives" that have created a backlog and caused more migrants to enter the country illegally.

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/sites/default/f ... -Sep18.pdf

The fact is Trump and his racist, "nationalist", and xenophobic advisors just don't want the system to work; they prefer political stunts over real solutions. The asylum seekers are the ones following the law; the enforcers are bending and breaking it. And when women and children get tear-gassed... they don't care. It seems you don't, either.

tommy1808

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am

Pyrex wrote:

Yeah, you should have read the replies.

That guy, by simply being there, is a biological weapon and he practically attempted genocide.

None of which is true for refugees trying to get to the US.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

tommy1808

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am

alfa164 wrote:
, the Trump Administration has been using any tactic it can find to avoid its responsibility and subvert the law.

The Trump admin simply uses the fact that the US isn't in a state of law, since international law, signed and ratified, is not directly applicable in court.

Otherwise US citizens would get paid leave too....

Best regards
Thomas

Kiwirob

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Why would you be a prick and fix it, I don’t want to see him dead but a nasty accident or a stroke which removes him from the presidency would be more than acceptable.

WIederling

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:48 pm

LMP737 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

You can't prosecute a dead person. .-)
Murphy is an optimist

tommy1808

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:24 pm

WIederling wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Tell that to Sergei Magnitsky.....

Best regards
Thomas

WIederling

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:55 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Tell that to Sergei Magnitsky.....

ROFLMAO death to his second incarnation : Browder
Murphy is an optimist

CitizenJustin

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Just to lighten things up a but. I wonder what the tribespeople think when they see contrails?

CitizenJustin

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:15 pm

BarfBag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

* cheat
* liar

I agree with everything you’ve said BarfBag.

I’m also quite certain that he had delusions of grandeur. He thought he’d go down in history as the man who converted, and saved the primitive barbarians from hellfire. Like all of them, he arrogantly believed that Jesus chose him out of all 7+ billion people on earth. He’s special, you see. He was on an ego trip, and wanted the glory. Of course he’d also accept the money, and book deals afterwards. I wonder if he’d still be alive if he thought there’d be no riches or glory.

CitizenJustin

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Why would you be a prick and fix it, I don’t want to see him dead but a nasty accident or a stroke which removes him from the presidency would be more than acceptable.

Then we’ll have to endure Pence. The Evangelical, right wing extremist.

Flighty

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:23 pm

The people were well within their right to defend their island from this radicalized, mentally ill fool. Shame on his community.

alfa164

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
Then we’ll have to endure Pence. The Evangelical, right wing extremist.

Flighty wrote:
The people were well within their right to defend their island from this radicalized, mentally ill fool. Shame on his community.

An ironic juxtaposition of comments, since I would put Pence and Chau both in those categories. Pence just has more conservative taste in suits...

;)

johnboy

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 pm

WIederling wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Actually, the Indian government has ascertained there were two other missionaries who assisted Chau, and immediately left the country.

Cowardly, but don’t expect too much from that crowd.

WIederling

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 am

johnboy wrote:
Actually, the Indian government has ascertained there were two other missionaries who assisted Chau, and immediately left the country.
Cowardly, but don’t expect too much from that crowd.

So this was a concerted clandestine effort by a group
that is now covered up as "individual madness".
Interesting.
Murphy is an optimist

c933103

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 am

N14AZ wrote:
casinterest wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

From the article:

Okay, now I am convinced - it WAS suicide. Alternatively a strange kind of obsession...

May he rest in peace...

Being suicidal is one thing, being suicidal while troubling others is another. I don't really mind someone who stupidly want to kill himself, but not if that mean dragging other people around down with him, like those people that are on the island, people in the Indian government, his own relatives, or every one of us that are using out time to talk about his behavior.

BarfBag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

* cheat
* liar

It is also the case for many people who tries to spread the ideology of Christianity around the world and that's also why in numerous part of the world Christianity aren't being seen positively.

johnboy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Pyrex wrote:
I just stumbled across this thread and can't be bothered to read all the replies, ...

No worries. I can’t be bothered to take your response with any degree of informed judgement. :roll:

stratclub

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 am

c933103 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
casinterest wrote:

From the article:

May he rest in peace...

Being suicidal is one thing, being suicidal while troubling others is another. I don't really mind someone who stupidly want to kill himself, but not if that mean dragging other people around down with him, like those people that are on the island, people in the Indian government, his own relatives, or every one of us that are using out time to talk about his behavior.

BarfBag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

* cheat
* liar

It is also the case for many people who tries to spread the ideology of Christianity around the world and that's also why in numerous part of the world Christianity aren't being seen positively.

A common "Christianity theme". Inflict your will on others and justify it by claiming the horrific things and not horrific things you inflict on others are done according to the will of God as written in your interpretation of the Bible. Does the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trials ring a bell? How about coming close to wiping out the American Aboriginal Indian? God's will, right? Those savages do not believe in Jesus, so we need to double down in out efforts to kill and enslave them. My Bible says so...........

It is really great to see that sometimes, Darwin knocks one out of the park.