Airstud
Topic Author

The correct amount of snow to have on the ground

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 am

is less than is currently on the ground in Minneapolis.

Mike Lynch said we wouldn't be seeing any accumulation!! :banghead:
Pancakes are delicious.

Dutchy

Re: The correct amount of snow to have on the ground

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am

And more than currently on the ground in The Netherlands.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

mad99

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:50 am

the amount we have here in madrid = 0

trpmb6

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Define ground.

Correct amount of snow to have on grassy and other natural surfaces is in the one to two foot range.

Correct amount of snow to have on roadways and sidewalks is zero.

Bostrom

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:54 pm

During the winter: 20 cm or more.

T18

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:23 pm

On the road, none. On the grass and lawns, 4-6 inches. Everything looks so much nicer with a nice coat of pure white snow, essp at night when the light plays off it making the normally dark sullen nights of winter much brighter and cheerful.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Aesma

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:33 pm

More than we get here. We don't get snow every year, and often it doesn't hold, but when we get a bit more, it's total chaos because nobody is ready for it, and we never get enough to be prepared anyway. I live near Paris and people end up sleeping in their cars, rescued by helicopters ! My company has contingency plans, people can stay sleep at the company campus, with food provided. For something like 20cm of snow !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

johns624

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 pm

T18 wrote:
On the road, none. On the grass and lawns, 4-6 inches. Everything looks so much nicer with a nice coat of pure white snow, essp at night when the light plays off it making the normally dark sullen nights of winter much brighter and cheerful.
This is the correct answer. It's a plus if all the tree branches have a couple of inches on them.

mad99

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:53 am

Aesma wrote:
More than we get here. We don't get snow every year, and often it doesn't hold, but when we get a bit more, it's total chaos because nobody is ready for it, and we never get enough to be prepared anyway. I live near Paris and people end up sleeping in their cars, rescued by helicopters ! My company has contingency plans, people can stay sleep at the company campus, with food provided. For something like 20cm of snow !

Same here in Madrid. 2mm of snow and total chaos.

Gemuser

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 am

The correct answer is NONE! Snow should be banned, what's wrong water?

Gemuser

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Has it ever snowed in Australia?
Pancakes are delicious.

WildcatYXU

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Do you ever get snow in the Netherlands? I remember the first Haag Streit imaging system installation we did some 20 years ago. Since it was the first, we were assisted by a HS service engineer who came from Groningen. When it started to snow while we were in Olomouc, he was happy to see the amount of snow. But then when we drove from Olomouc to Ruzomberok in a snowstorm, he was visibly afraid. Especially in the mountainous area on the Czech-Slovak border, where often was very little space between the jackknifed trucks and the barrier on the side of the road. We arrived to Ruzomberok safely, but once there Johannes admitted that this wasn't his kind of weather. He said there is almost no snow in the Netherlands ever.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Dutchy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:51 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Do you ever get snow in the Netherlands? I remember the first Haag Streit imaging system installation we did some 20 years ago. Since it was the first, we were assisted by a HS service engineer who came from Groningen. When it started to snow while we were in Olomouc, he was happy to see the amount of snow. But then when we drove from Olomouc to Ruzomberok in a snowstorm, he was visibly afraid. Especially in the mountainous area on the Czech-Slovak border, where often was very little space between the jackknifed trucks and the barrier on the side of the road. We arrived to Ruzomberok safely, but once there Johannes admitted that this wasn't his kind of weather. He said there is almost no snow in the Netherlands ever.

Sure, not too much though.

And ofcourse the long distance skating competition, distance, 200km: Elfstedentocht, last time was in 1995. For this we need at least the natural ice along the entire course to be at least 15 centimetres (6 in) thick.

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

vikkyvik

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:11 pm

The correct form of precipitation is thunderstorms.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

CitizenJustin

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 pm

We broke a record for earliest snowfall this year, which is proof global warming is a liberal conspiracy. ;-)

Unfortunately, we don’t get much snow anymore. A few inches per year maybe. As a person who loves everything winter, this really bums me out.

bombayduck

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 pm

The correct amount of snow is enough so you can phone work and say, that you cannot make it to work because you cannot get your car out of the drive way.

Gemuser

Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Airstud wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Of course it does, but we keep it on the tops of mountains [well I'll accept on top of VERY tall hills, if you insist!], not where real people live.

Gemuser

NIKV69

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:16 am

Airstud wrote:

You live in MSP and don't want snow? :stirthepot:
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

You live in MSP and don't want snow? :stirthepot:

I do, but I also want WCCO to get the forecast right!!
Pancakes are delicious.

jetwet1

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:24 am

CitizenJustin wrote:
We broke a record for earliest snowfall this year, which is proof global warming is a liberal conspiracy. ;-)

Unfortunately, we don’t get much snow anymore. A few inches per year maybe. As a person who loves everything winter, this really bums me out.

Deny climate change with your first sentence, confirm it with your second.......

Anyways, I would like to see -60 ft of snow on the west side of the Rockies please, break this drought, won't happen, but we need it.

Flyingdevil737

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am

Gemuser wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

Of course it does, but we keep it on the tops of mountains [well I'll accept on top of VERY tall hills, if you insist!], not where real people live.

Gemuser

I can agree AND disagree, I’ve had snow once where I live and I don’t live on a very high mountain, in fact only about 200 ft above sea level.
The thunder from Down Under

CitizenJustin

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:17 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Deny climate change with your first sentence, confirm it with your second.......

Anyways, I would like to see -60 ft of snow on the west side of the Rockies please, break this drought, won't happen, but we need it.

I thought it was clear that I was joking about denying climate change. That’s why I used the winking smiley face. I was mocking people who say it’s a conspiracy.

trpmb6

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:03 pm

What disappoints me is dealing with the cold on the plains without the snow that I wish accompanied it.

Cold on the plains bites you to the bone because you get the 40mph gusts that go with it. I'd take 0DegF and calm winds over 30degF and 40mph winds any day.

Had white out conditions last week. This week it's been consistently below freezing temperatures but no precipitation to speak of.

wingman

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:59 pm

21" is the correct answer. That's what I witnessed to my ever-lasting wonderment living in NYC in the winter of 1996. No work for 2-3 days from my recollection and the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. I lived on the Upper West Side about 2 blocks from Central Park and the city had nearly zero cars or cabs those first two days in the aftermath. But I did watch with a crowd some nutter in a full-sized Hummer do powerslides and donuts at 86th and Columbus. Outside of that it was dead quiet for the first and last time I ever lived there. People went absolutely berserk, from kids making smowmen and conducting snowball fights in the middle of the avenues to everyone else just partying their asses off at all hours. The bars stayed open throughout and I bet those first 48 hours probably saw more revenue than any other 48 hour period in NYC history, same for Boston I bet. And the park of course was a pure wonderment. I never knew NYC had so many x-country fanatics.

Anyway, 21".

trpmb6

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:52 pm

wingman wrote:
21" is the correct answer. That's what I witnessed to my ever-lasting wonderment living in NYC in the winter of 1996. No work for 2-3 days from my recollection and the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. I lived on the Upper West Side about 2 blocks from Central Park and the city had nearly zero cars or cabs those first two days in the aftermath. But I did watch with a crowd some nutter in a full-sized Hummer do powerslides and donuts at 86th and Columbus. Outside of that it was dead quiet for the first and last time I ever lived there. People went absolutely berserk, from kids making smowmen and conducting snowball fights in the middle of the avenues to everyone else just partying their asses off at all hours. The bars stayed open throughout and I bet those first 48 hours probably saw more revenue than any other 48 hour period in NYC history, same for Boston I bet. And the park of course was a pure wonderment. I never knew NYC had so many x-country fanatics.

Anyway, 21".

This is the perfect answer. The enjoyment that 21 inches of snow brought to so many people (scrooges be damned).

Also, "smowmen" is my new favorite typo. :mrgreen:

FL52RA41

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Every year here in the UK we get the papers saying its going to the worst winter since the year dot!!. Yet where I live we did not get much snow, other parts that had it were coming to a stand to just after a few inches, schools shut, shops run out of stock, trains delayed only because of a few inches of snow.

Tugger

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:31 am

Three feet, or for our metric friends: just under a meter, in one day.

Everything comes to a stop and while it is falling the silence is awesome.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

DL717

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:30 am

jetwet1 wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

If you’re west of the Rockies, you’re pretty much living in a desert with largely man made paradises with stolen water. See the California water wars:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_water_wars

The irony of ultra-liberal “save the planet” Los Angeles raping the environment to survive.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

jupiter2

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:51 am

Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser

:checkmark: :checkmark:

It can look pretty in photos from other places.

smallvoyageur

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am

FL52RA41 wrote:
Every year here in the UK we get the papers saying its going to the worst winter since the year dot!!. Yet where I live we did not get much snow, other parts that had it were coming to a stand to just after a few inches, schools shut, shops run out of stock, trains delayed only because of a few inches of snow.

I find it laughable that we buy Christmas cards with pictures of thick covers of snow and putting the resident meteorologist on top of Broadcasting House (the BBC's headquarters in central London) to see if there an even a flake of snow. This is because snow is unseasonable in late December, where snow only exists in Southern England until end of January towards throughout February.

WIederling

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 am

Tugger wrote:
Three feet, or for our metric friends: just under a meter, in one day.

Everything comes to a stop and while it is falling the silence is awesome.

Rarely do we get that much.
But I live on a windy open coastline.
We get beautiful snow drifts 1..3m high from just 10 .. 20 cm of fresh snow.
and those are real stand up comedians. shove them away
and they resurrect in less than an hour :-)
Murphy is an optimist

noviorbis77

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am

Would love 5-6 inches of snow across the UK over Christmas.

Will not happen though.

readytotaxi

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am

The correct amount of snow should never come over the top of your Gucci wellingtons. ;)
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

outstandingrush

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am

Until you can roll a snowman - it is correct
even in the summer
Let everybody know that paperwritings.com fraud

WIederling

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:49 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
The correct amount of snow should never come over the top of your Gucci wellingtons. ;)

So, don't leave the car :-)
Murphy is an optimist

B777LRF

Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:54 am

On an Austrian alp, or other skiable mountain range, the correct amount is between 1,5 and 2 meters. Anywhere else it's zero. Expect for a few days around Christmas, where a good 20cm or so will be sufficient to set a romantic scene.
Signature. You just read one.

zkojq

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:53 am

2 Meters over the previous few days going right down to sealevel. So pretty :cloudnine:

Most recently flown: A318 F-GUGQ A319 F-GRHR A320ceo D-AIZH A320neo D-AINE A330-300 VH-QPD A350-900 B-LRA A380-800 D-AIMH 717 VH-YQW 737-600 LN-RPA 737-700 OY-JTY 737-800 LN-NGA 767-300 ZK-NCI 777-200 ZK-OKA 777-300 ZK-OKN 787-9 ZK-NZK CS100 HB-JBG