jetwet1
Topic Author

How much would you pay to stop spam phone calls

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 pm

I have an idea brewing in the back of my head on how to stop these calls, it's gotten to the point where I do not answer my various phones to any unknown number, not good in my line of work, so a solution has to be made.

With that said, how much would you be willing to pay to stop these calls getting through to you ?

Dutchy

Re: How much would you pay to stop spam phone calls

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:19 pm

We have kind of a solution in The Netherlands: bel me niet register: translated: don't call me register. It is mandatory that every call center has to offer a recording in which you have the option to register your phone number in order to put it on a list which will result that you will not be called again. Good system and I don't get that many calls like that ;-)

In the Netherlands it is free of charge.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

EBJ68

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 pm

We have something similar in the United States but my experience has been that it doesn't work well. What I don't appreciate about these calls is that they call and if they don't get a pickup, they just hang up; no message left or anything. I'm old fashioned so to me that's just plain rude and not a good way to run a business.

T18

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Trick question, you pay to get them, stop paying for a phone and you stop getting spam calls ;)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

seb146

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 am

I shouldn't have to.

I get robo calls on my cell phone from the same company in different area codes. Each and every time, I press 9 or whatever to have my number removed from their list. And, yet, the same damn company calls me from a different area code.

Today, I got two different calls from two different area codes in Texas telling me that my Social Security number is fraudulent and I need to call 1-900-something immediately or I will be arrested in the next hour. Not even any chance of "please press 9 to be removed from our list" or anything.

I hung up.

I am so fed up with these scams wasting my time.

Get off my lawn! :old:
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:52 am

$0. Because if we get into the business of paying to filter out junk, it'll quickly get much worse and all the crappy phone companies will start making the bigs bucks ripping us off

It should be free, and our good for nothing Congress should get involved and do something good for once

alex0easy

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:04 am

Why should I pay spammers to stop? So they call me until I'm annoyed then I pay them?
Isnt this extortion?

fr8mech

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 am

Zero. Nil. Zed. Aught. Naught. Zip. Zilch. Nothing. $0.00

It's appeasement. It's like paying off terrorists to stop terrorizing.

If you must answer the phone, then answer it and then hang-up...it's annoying...deal with it.

Personally, I don't answer the phone.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:54 am

Assuming you have a cellphone (which many people do), it costs $0. Don't recognize a number? Block it.

My workphone has been notorious for getting a lot of spam and scam callers. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer and do a search on it. If it's spam, collector, or whatever, I just block it. I haven't gotten a call in quite a while.
Last edited by einsteinboricua on Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

fr8mech

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Assuming you have a cellphone (which many people do), it costs $0. Recognize a number? Block it.

Unfortunately, the assholes have become adept at spoofing numbers. About a month ago, I got a call from myself.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:17 am

fr8mech wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
Assuming you have a cellphone (which many people do), it costs $0. Recognize a number? Block it.

Unfortunately, the assholes have become adept at spoofing numbers. About a month ago, I got a call from myself.

:checkmark:

Call spoofing is quite easy. I get calls all the time with the first 6 digits being the same as my number. Luckily, I don't deal with many people with similar numbers so I know it's spam. But you simply can't block the number, it's being spoofed, and it's constantly changing

Like I said, the second we start paying the phone companies to filter spam (heaven forbid different packages where you pay more to block more,) the second the crooks running the phone companies start making money and lobby Congress to block any bills against spam calls

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 am

Speaking of spoofed, spam calls, I think two of our beloved a.net members just got calls from each other with the number displayed as (567) 332-4263 (LOSE-DA-GAME) ;)

einsteinboricua

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:36 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Speaking of spoofed, spam calls, I think two of our beloved a.net members just got calls from each other with the number displayed as (567) 332-4263 (LOSE-DA-GAME) ;)

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:56 am

I take the time to reach an agent, and then make them feel very little for working for such a deceptive company and make fun of their made up names.

Ask them their location and phone number to call them back later, and they usually hang up. I figure wasting a bit of their time, saves someone else a bit of time.

If I am having a bad day, I usually just demean the hell out of the to take out some aggression.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:25 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Trollololololol

casinterest wrote:

I try doing that but unfortunately, mine are usually automated asking for my bank pin and last four of my SSN (type in 1234) trying to get to someone. No matter what you do, no one is there to answer, which is the point, all they need are those numbers for whatever nefarious task. It then says all agents are busy and they'd call back later. Yeah right. At least I wasted 30 seconds of someone's day with my fake numbers...

DL717

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 am

jetwet1 wrote:
I have an idea brewing in the back of my head on how to stop these calls, it's gotten to the point where I do not answer my various phones to any unknown number, not good in my line of work, so a solution has to be made.

With that said, how much would you be willing to pay to stop these calls getting through to you ?

Why should we have to pay someone to stop being annoying? Do what I did. Add a contact to your phone, block the contact and every time one of these clowns calls, add the number to that contact. It’ll take a while, but it does work. After about three months I stopped getting a ton of them. I was getting at least four a week before I did this, most from the same number. Now I get texts from politicians. I always write back with a few choice swear words. I actually got a reply back one time that said they were sorry and they’d stop sending me texts.

I got into an argument once with a solar sales guy just for fun. When he really got heated and started being a smart ass I finally said “look, your job is to sit on the phone all day locked up in a room making minimum wage”. With that he totally lost his shit. I listened to him go off for a couple of minutes and hung up. He then had the nads to call me back. I hung up again and added his number. He never called again.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

casinterest

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:23 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Trollololololol

casinterest wrote:

I try doing that but unfortunately, mine are usually automated asking for my bank pin and last four of my SSN (type in 1234) trying to get to someone. No matter what you do, no one is there to answer, which is the point, all they need are those numbers for whatever nefarious task. It then says all agents are busy and they'd call back later. Yeah right. At least I wasted 30 seconds of someone's day with my fake numbers...

I would hit * and # to try to confuse the pin. Remember these are rudimentary systems. * and # can trigger code errors or exceptions on processing software for unskilled developers. Either way, it is a time sink for processing software. I don't usually get the pin ones, so maybe they suspect something about you and your bank accounts, which leads me to think some of your information has been successfully hacked on the internet. So be vigilant.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

FatCat

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 am

Dutchy wrote:
We have kind of a solution in The Netherlands: bel me niet register: translated: don't call me register. It is mandatory that every call center has to offer a recording in which you have the option to register your phone number in order to put it on a list which will result that you will not be called again. Good system and I don't get that many calls like that ;-)

In the Netherlands it is free of charge.

we have a similar service also in Italy.
but it works only for landlines.
many of my friends do not answer to numbers they don't have in the contacts. I think it's stupid. if you have a phone and receive a call, you should answer it.
strange how phone maketing scared us about answering the phone.
seems like centuries since we hadn't displays on our phones, or cameras on our door bells...
May my post not hurt your feelings

tommy1808

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 am

jetwet1 wrote:

About as much as a lawyer costs to have them pay for him. Zero in the end.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

cpd

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:08 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

We have a do not call register here.

And besides, I'm not paying anything to those leaches.

If I don't recognise the number it gets ignored.

trpmb6

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:42 pm

Nothing. I get quite a bit of enjoyment from wasting their time for as long as I can possibly go. One time put someone on hold so I could go to the bathroom. Came back 30 minutes and they were still on the line. I told them they were an idiot for holding that long and hung up. Haven't gotten a call back from that center/number as far as I can tell.

ER757

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 pm

EBJ68 wrote:
We have something similar in the United States but my experience has been that it doesn't work well. What I don't appreciate about these calls is that they call and if they don't get a pickup, they just hang up; no message left or anything. I'm old fashioned so to me that's just plain rude and not a good way to run a business.

Yeah, the do not call registry doesn't work very well to say the least. I'm on it yet get calls all the time. If it's not a number I know, I answer and just set the phone down with the line still open. I often wonder how long the poor sap on the other line waits for someone to speak at my end. That's assuming it's a human on the other end. If it's a robo-call which more and more of them are, then at least I don't have a voicemail left for me by doing it this way. Of course when I am not home the damned robo-call leaves a message.

jetwet1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks for all the replies guys, I wasn't saying pay the idiots that blow up the phones all day long, more like add a service that screens the calls, but it's pretty clear that people would not be willing to pay for that, fair enough.

Olddog

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:21 am

Besides on my samsung phones I have a free built-in feature that tells me if the incoming call is a spam.

ChrisKen

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:47 am

What baffles me is the large number of people here trying to 'unsubcribe' from those calls that are clearly scams. All you do is confirm your number is active and there's an ID 10 Tango on the end of it. Why would a scam provide a legit way of unsubscribing? Think about it and you'll find the answer to why you end up with more calls.

Ignore the call/sms, pass the details onto your network's spam/fraud department, they all have one.

LittleFokker

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm

Here's how I deal with spam callers....I don't answer. If I don't recognize your number on caller ID, you're going to my voicemail. If your number is blocked or labelled, straight to voicemail. Leave me a reason to call you back, and I will. Easy peasy, no waste of my time or money.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre