Ken777
Topic Author

President George H W Bush dead at 94

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:01 am

An exceptional man who delivered exceptional service to this country. We will never have another one like him. RIP

einsteinboricua

Re: President George H W Bush dead at 94

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:11 am

The president when I was born. I therefore have no opinion about him other than how he dedicated his post-presidency years to helping others.

Now I'm interested in seeing what's gonna happen in terms of a funeral.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:12 am

Ken777 wrote:
An exceptional man who delivered exceptional service to this country. We will never have another one like him. RIP

Well said and here is hoping we get someone close to him.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

Cadet985

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 am

I was very young when he was POTUS. I remember being in kindergarten and watching the Gulf War on CNN.

Without disrespecting the deceased, what made him a single term POTUS?

May he Rest In Peace with his beloved wife, and may G-d be with his family and friends at this time.

Thank-you for your many years of service to this country.

Marc

Ken777
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:23 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
The president when I was born. I therefore have no opinion about him other than how he dedicated his post-presidency years to helping others.

Now I'm interested in seeing what's gonna happen in terms of a funeral.

This is one time that the current President should not attend the Funeral of another President. We have three outstanding ex Presidents that can stand up and deliver Eulogies that will help bring this country together - it even for a day. I'm talking about Clinton, W and Obama. Remembering how well 41 and 42 got along and spent time together raising money after national disasters. I can see Clinton, W and Obama coming together to raise money for disasters in the future,

Trump night need to go to the Southern White House in order to avoid the shame of being unwanted.

DocLightning

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:38 am

RIP, Mr. President.

Cadet985 wrote:

How about another thread for that? I'll be happy to answer, although I was young when he was President.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Super80Fan

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:40 am

Hopefully Trump doesn't show up. Should be the Clinton's, Obama's, and Bush's. Maybe President Carter if he is well enough.

RIP to a good, honorable man. Glad he's with Barbara now.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

DL717

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:46 am

Cadet985 wrote:
I was very young when he was POTUS. I remember being in kindergarten and watching the Gulf War on CNN.

Marc

For another thread, but google: chicken feathers Perot.

RIP Mr. Bush. You did us right.
Last edited by DL717 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 am

May he rest in peace.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

910A

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 am

George HW Bush had the best credentials of any person that the American people elected President. He was one that had the respect of members of both parties.

Airstud

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 am

Cadet985 wrote:

The national unemployment rate was 9%, probably worse; 11% in Southern California where I was living at the time. No one can deny that 41 was a caring and decent man, but the fact is he was from an economic class wherein he was chauffeured, in a limousine, to elementary school. The crap economy allowed Bill Clinton, who was born in a trailer park, to leverage his relatabiliy to the vast American populace and voilà.
Pancakes are delicious.

DL717

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:56 am

Airstud wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

The national unemployment rate was 9%, probably worse; 11% in Southern California where I was living at the time. No one can deny that 41 was a caring and decent man, but the fact is he was from an economic class wherein he was chauffeured, in a limousine, to elementary school. The crap economy allowed Bill Clinton, who was born in a trailer park, to leverage his relatabiliy to the vast American populace and voilà.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Pe ... l_campaign

Only 20% of the 19 million votes Perot got would have gone to Clinton.

Back to the topic.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

Tugger

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Ken777 wrote:

Well said and here is hoping we get someone close to him.

Agreed, I trust the Republican's can find their way back to such person. A man of quiet integrity, who always worked to do his best for the whole of the country.

I can only imagine he must have missed his lifelong love, Barbara, who died in April.

A loyal man, and public servant.

RIP Mr. President.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

TTailedTiger

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:26 am

He was a decent man that didn't let politics get in the way of doing good things for others. I knew he wouldn't hang around for long after Barbara died. And making a poltical statement out of a former president's death by snubbing Trump would be beyond tacky. Whether some of you like him or not, he is the president. If he makes an ass out of himself then he deserves the ridicule, but jeez, some people won't even give him a chance.

kaitak

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 am

A good, decent man and a fine public servant, not just as President, but as VP, ambassador to China and the UN, as congressman and of course, a man who went to war for his country. A lifetime of honourable service to his country.

I don't want to go into comparisons with others, because I don't think this is the time; this should be a day salute 41 and to recognise what he did. I was a student, in Chicago for the summer, when Iraq invaded Kuwait. He co-ordinated the international response to this. Everything was done as it should have been done - by the letter of the law. It was a model of how international aggression should be responded to and he led his country in a just war. And very well, too. That deserves respect.

Thank you, President Bush, for a lifetime of service.

cpd

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I knew he wouldn't hang around for long after Barbara died.

That's always the way, sadly.

RIP.

cpd

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 am

This note he left for Clinton is a very classy one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI0KTlSW4AAgELL.jpg

seahawk

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:07 am

Between Clinton and Reagan he seemed a bit boring and dull at the time, but in the end I think he was a good president and good person.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:44 am

Yes, there are a number of issues about GHW Bush's life that are controversial before and during his term as President, but that can be true of anyone who serves as a US President. He served honorably in WWII, he survived the plane he was on being shot down by the Japanese in hostile waters. He held several government posts including at the CIA and diplomatic ones during the 'cold war' era. In his post-Presidential life, he supported causes to help people in disasters with other ex-Presidents.
Let us acknowledge his service to our country, his life, not dwell on but not ignore his flaws, give him a funeral with all the appropriate honors.

dmg626

Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:40 pm

The video of him getting rescued by a sub after his plane went down was incredible. I was always amazed at how he looked up at the camera as he got on board , thinking that he could have been killed like his fellow crew members instead being able to survive and go on to become President

N14AZ

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 pm

R.I.P. President George H W Bush.

... and thank you for your support during the German reunification. You didn't try to make a "deal" out of it. Glad it happened when you were president and not in 2018...

Cadet985 wrote:

?!?! We didn't even have a TV in kindergarten and even if we would have had, I guess we wouldn't have watched war documentation (would have been about the Vietnam war at that time...)

cjg225

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:50 pm

The last of the World War II-veteran presidents. Truly the end of an era.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

atcsundevil

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Let's please be respectful. There's enough divisiveness in our politics these days; let's maybe hit the pause button for a day or two.

✈️ atcsundevil

dfwjim1

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:05 pm

A nice touch for George Bush was that he had a major highway in Dallas named after him and of course George Bush International in Houston long before he passed away. As for shortcomings, yes, he had them but don't we all?

NoTime

Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Rest in Peace, Mr. President, and thanks for all that you did in service to our country.

AA747123

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:02 am

A true patriot, a true conservative, a hero and a great man, and one of the best Presidents ever. He will be missed.

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:49 am

Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

the gulf war and "read my lips no new taxes".

seb146

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:13 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
Cadet985 wrote:

Marc

And all the Blacks and gays who died from HIV/AIDS and lack of research funding. That did not make him a one term president, but all of the above not the greatest. Good, and head and shoulders above what we have now, but not great.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DLFREEBIRD

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:29 pm

He was qualified, but like Carter he had been left a bad economy. Reagan trickle down economics had resulted in three tax cuts but still had not stimulated the economy. So he had to raise taxes to balance the budget. All said, he was a responsible president, but when he got us involved in the gulf war and we could see war footage for the first time live, and children dying it turned a lot of people off. Now sadly we are used to it.

cjg225

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:42 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:

How did the PGW play in to being a 1-termer...?

EDIT: Ah, I see you just replied.

Did that really impact his reelection, though? Yes, this was a new way for people to see warfare on the news, but it was also an overwhelming victory for the Coalition, led overwhelming by the United States.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:09 am

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
He was qualified, but like Carter he had been left a bad economy. Reagan trickle down economics had resulted in three tax cuts but still had not stimulated the economy. So he had to raise taxes to balance the budget. All said, he was a responsible president, but when he got us involved in the gulf war and we could see war footage for the first time live, and children dying it turned a lot of people off. Now sadly we are used to it.

Real growth averaged 3.5% during Reagan’s eight years including a tough recession in 1982. A lot of quarters 1983-1989 were 4%-8% growth rates. Inflation went from 17% to 4% over those years, misery index shrank. Not sure how you arrived at the economy not growing.

GF

DIRECTFLT

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:12 am

George H.W. Bush Funeral Train

https://www.up.com/media/media_kit/bush41/index.htm (.pdf files)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_4141

After the passing of George H. W. Bush on November 30, 2018, UP 4141 was brought out of storage and was sent to Houston, Texas on December 1, 2018. The locomotive is scheduled to participate in the funeral train for George H. W. Bush, running from Spring, Texas to College Station, Texas.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Bush-funeral-train-where-to-watch-13437852.php

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:48 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

Real growth averaged 3.5% during Reagan’s eight years including a tough recession in 1982. A lot of quarters 1983-1989 were 4%-8% growth rates. Inflation went from 17% to 4% over those years, misery index shrank. Not sure how you arrived at the economy not growing.

GF

simple the federal deficit exploded, which effected consumer confidence index therefore unemployment index

Bongodog1964

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:12 pm

I only have one story to tell, GHWB came to the UK to open the refurbished American air force museum at Duxford, an old friend, no longer with us spoke to him and informed him that by the time GHWB arrived to fight the axis he had been flying missions since 1939. It appears thither took the statement well. Doubt the present POTUS would !!!

cledaybuck

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:58 pm

cjg225 wrote:
DLFREEBIRD wrote:

How did the PGW play in to being a 1-termer...?

EDIT: Ah, I see you just replied.

Did that really impact his reelection, though? Yes, this was a new way for people to see warfare on the news, but it was also an overwhelming victory for the Coalition, led overwhelming by the United States.
No. As the Clinton campaign said, it's the economy. RIP HW.

bagoldex

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Kind of ironic that he died on the eve of World AIDS Day.

https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/2018 ... -president

PanHAM

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Without President Bush the German reunification might not have been possible and the World might be different today. The three men that took the Chance did it right and convinced the other participants to join into the 4 plus two negotiations. They wrote history. Germany owes a lot to President Bush. The "Atlantiker" in Germany will never forget that.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

casinterest

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:43 pm

Farewell to a good president and man that served this country in many facets. Until I was almost out of High School I never really knew a world where Bush wasn't President or Vice President.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

EA CO AS

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 am

Ken777 wrote:
This is one time that the current President should not attend the Funeral of another President.

Trump night need to go to the Southern White House in order to avoid the shame of being unwanted.

Except President Bush (41) made it clear he DID want President Trump to attend.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/politics ... index.html
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Tugger

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:03 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Ken777 wrote:
This is one time that the current President should not attend the Funeral of another President.

Except President Bush (41) made it clear he DID want President Trump to attend.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/politics ... index.html

Yes, and it is good thing. The right thing.

Because the most important thing that GHW Bush understood is that we are all together, all citizens, and it is critical to reach out to all sides.

Smart man.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

seb146

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:55 am

I was wondering if government offices (post office, etc.) were closed for a day of mourning for other presidents? I don't remember that, but that does not mean much.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tugger

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 pm

It was a good service. The eulogies and the overall tone very much represented the man being laid to rest.

Tugg

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
I was wondering if government offices (post office, etc.) were closed for a day of mourning for other presidents? I don't remember that, but that does not mean much.

Yes, it’s a standard Federal holiday. I was in Federal Civil Service when Nixon died. Inside gallows humor was, “knock off the other four and take a week off.” IIRC, it’s coded in timekeeping records differently than normal holidays.

GF

SmithAir747

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Watching Bush's casket being unloaded from Special Air Mission 41 (VC-25) at Andrews the other day, as well as at the Capitol ceremony yesterday and at the National Cathedral service today, I noticed his casket was not the traditional Marsellus-style mahogany "presidential" casket (as I've seen used in previous US presidential funerals such as JFK's, Reagan's, etc). Rather, it appeared to be a brown metallic looking one. Today I found out it's a Batesville 18-gauge steel casket, model A21, in Sutter Bronze finish. Barbara Bush's was a similar Batesville A21, in Platinum finish. (This comes from seeing a Batesville post on Facebook, then a Google search.)

Don't Batesville still make a Marsellus-style mahogany presidential type casket? In 2003, Marsellus casket company (a small specialist firm) were bought out by Batesville, who incorporated their products into their line. I wonder if they still make these. It's curious that this funeral departed from the Marsellus casket tradition.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Aaron747

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am

The ceremony was lovely, and though I disagreed with him on foreign policy, 43's eulogy was incredible and brought a tear to me eye. Watching AF1 leave Andrews, I saluted my TV.

Inquiring minds would like to know why the current WH occupant bothered attending a funeral where he sat like a spoiled brat with arms crossed most of the time...who does that??
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 am

CNN just can't help themselves. They can't keep Trump off their brain even for a former president's funeral. They spent over ten minutes talking about how he was greeted and received at the funeral. I do not believe he was slighted by the former presidents and first ladies. It was a funeral. The occasion is meant to be somber and the ceremony was about to start by the time Trump and Melania arrived. There was no time for small talk. I didn't see any bad behavior from anyone. Both sides seemed to be able to act like adults for a couple of hours. The people who just try and find anything to complain about are what's wrong with this country.

Aaron747

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am

^ Then you missed the parts during GWB and Canadian PM Mulroney's eulogies where he was the only one sitting cross-armed in his crass way.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
^ Then you missed the parts during GWB and Canadian PM Mulroney's eulogies where he was the only one sitting cross-armed in his crass way.

Why are you focused on Trump? Out of all of the funerals I have been to I couldn't comment on the body language or perceived attitude of anyone in attendance. Some of us can set aside keeping score for a day.

BN747

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Why are you focused on Trump? Out of all of the funerals I have been to I couldn't comment on the body language or perceived attitude of anyone in attendance. Some of us can set aside keeping score for a day.

Because as soon as he sent foot in the place...EVERYONE did (including everyone watching the broadcast!

And it all centered on a mess HIS own making!

He creates his disasters and leaves himself without an exit (a way out)...as in this case he was damned if he didn't a attend, damned if he does - and sure enough it was that obvious...

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Aaron747

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

You obviously have never been to a funeral with bad blood between families in attendance. My mother and grandmother for damned sure can recite chapter and verse the failures of respect and decorum in any of the instances they have been witness to. Nobody would be spoken of lightly if they arrived last and sat in such a crass manner during otherwise wonderful eulogies - of that you can be certain. My question is why would anyone excuse that behavior? Anyone raised properly knows not to do that.