1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mesa surpasses Long Beach as largest suburb in USA

Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:19 pm

As of the 2017 Census estimates, the city of Mesa, Arizona has surpassed Long Beach, California as the largest suburb in the United States. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

vikkyvik

Re: Mesa surpasses Long Beach as largest suburb in USA

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:01 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
As of the 2017 Census estimates, the city of Mesa, Arizona has surpassed Long Beach, California as the largest suburb in the United States. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

What's the definition of a suburb? Long Beach has a downtown of its own, along with a giant container port, etc. Population density is actually greater than the City of LA.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

afcjets

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:40 am

I don’t think of Long Beach as a suburb either, it probably started that way. I am guessing since they are both in LA County, LA is the considered the city and everything else in the county is a suburb. Ironically I consider Orange County a suburb of LA though, but that’s because most of OC has a suburban feel, whereas most of Long Beach feels urban.

LittleFokker

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:59 am

Do we have any raw numbers to work with? North of 200,000? How does Henderson, NV compare?

How's this for a rule: if a town has its own commercial airport with a noticable amount of air service, it's not a suburb of another city.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

seb146

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:33 am

Everyone has different definitions. Ft. Worth is a suburb of Dallas, according to some. Newark is a suburb of New York City, to some.

IIRC, there was a huge blow-up about the air service to HAV because of PA or something.

I know people who commute from Hood River, OR to Portland to work. I know people who commute from Ukiah, CA to San Francisco to work. What is a suburb anymore? IMO, Newark is the largest suburb.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:58 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Do we have any raw numbers to work with? North of 200,000? How does Henderson, NV compare?

How's this for a rule: if a town has its own commercial airport with a noticable amount of air service, it's not a suburb of another city.

Mesa has a commercial airport as well, AZA.

As for population density, Tempe has a greater population density than Phoenix yet most people still consider it a suburb of Phoenix.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:52 pm

afcjets wrote:
whereas most of Long Beach feels urban.

I wouldn't say most of it. Similar to LA, there are vast swaths of suburban area.

LittleFokker wrote:

Long Beach and Mesa are both over 450,000 population.

I would tend to shy away from calling large cities with their own major CBDs "suburbs". So Long Beach, Anaheim, Santa Ana, etc. seem to me to be more central cities in their own right rather than suburbs.

Then again, there's an old phrase that calls greater Los Angeles "100 suburbs in search of a city".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".