DeltaMD90
Topic Author

What's going on in France??

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:12 am

So obviously I can use the Google, so I have a bit of background on this, but I'd love to hear our beloved members (especially the French ones) weigh in. Courtesy of the "failing" NYT: ;)

A third weekend of nationwide protests by the movement, largely made up of working-class people angry about a planned increase in fuel taxes and their dwindling purchasing power, left burned cars and smashed store windows in several of the wealthiest neighborhoods of Paris. The movement is named for the high-visibility safety vests that motorists are supposed to wear when they have roadside breakdowns.

Broken glass and empty tear gas canisters fired by the police littered the city, where hundreds of vandals joined the ranks of the protesters. One person died in the unrest this weekend outside Paris, bringing to three the number of casualties on the margins of the demonstrations over the last three weekends of protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/worl ... tests.html

Now time to put on the flamesuit... I don't care what movement it is, when you're rioting (as opposed to peacefully protesting,) graffitiing/vandalizing, blocking traffic (a huge pet peeve of mine,) I find it almost impossible to support it. It really delegitimizes the movement, and it takes a lot (at least for me) to remember that a lot of the people aren't being obnoxious and the movement's goal overall may still be just.

But for anyone that may ever protest: don't be obnoxious! Screw lawless behavior! Don't derail your own message!

When you have a bunch of aggressive rioters, I feel no sympathy when the police gas them, beat them with batons, throw them in jail, etc. Yeah, sue me. DeltaMD90 for a police state (sarcasm)

So, to our Parisians and French posters, what is it like over there?? Do you support the movement? I know the French are known for a good ol' strike or demonstration, but it usually doesn't get this wild (right?), what gives? Would you torch some innocent person's car to send a message? ;)

GalaxyFlyer

Re: What's going on in France??

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 am

As a good friend used to say about France, “a country with balls, when they protest or strike, they burn the place down.”

GF

seb146

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:27 am

I lived south of Seattle when the WTO held their conference there. 1998 or 1999, I think. The riots were horrible but they were confined to a small area of downtown Seattle. Space Needle was open. I wonder if these protests are similar, confined to a small area of Paris?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aesma

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:36 am

Nobody knows what's going on, not even the protesters themselves. When asked what they want, you get a litany of proposals that go against each other, like wanting less/no taxes, and more public services/free stuff. Some want less "free handouts", while being themselves the main beneficiaries of these handouts !

Everytime a "representative" of the protesters get his/her head out to talk to some government official, other protesters dismiss him/her as not representating anyone.

As for the rioters, they have nothing to do with the protest, at least initially. They're far left and far right youth just there to have fun, in fact they're less and less politically motivated, chaos is their motivation. The difference with usual protests is that they receive some support from the peaceful protesters, and even manage to get some to join them. Of course when law enforcement decides to try and grab some of them, only the latter get caught. So you end up with someone earning 8000€/month (very high salary) in Switzerland (!) having to explain to a court why he was rioting in Paris
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:46 am

seb146 wrote:
I lived south of Seattle when the WTO held their conference there. 1998 or 1999, I think. The riots were horrible but they were confined to a small area of downtown Seattle. Space Needle was open. I wonder if these protests are similar, confined to a small area of Paris?

There is a map there : http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2018/ ... -paris.php

It's mainly around the Champs Elysées, near the centers of power : Elysée palace, Palais Bourbon (National Assembly), Senate. All of these were very well protected and protesters couldn't get near them. The Champs Elysées were also well protected (unlike the previous Saturday) however as a consequence it's all the streets around that took a beating.

I drove by Avenue Foch, the Arc the Triomphe and then Avenue de Friedland Sunday morning and saw burned cars and mopeds all along, with shops and banks vandalized also.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ltbewr

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:21 am

Violent protests, with vandalism of a critical symbol of France at the Arc de Triumph, will hurt the protesters more that help them in their reasons.

The taxes on diesel fuel are being raised to make it higher in price than gasoline to discourage use for larger global climate change but as in cities like Paris, the substantial increase in diesel engine cars and almost all commercial vehicles, has caused massive unhealthy conditions from particulates from diesel fuel. Along with the fraud by companies like Volkswagen to pass Euro standards so real life pollution much higher, possible bans of diesel powered cars and light commercial vehicles in some city centers, increasing and more expensive Euro 6 vehicle pollution standards and from that, hurting resale values of diesel, encourages some anger on the government.

The significant numbers of immigrants, legal and illegal, including from Syria, adjacent areas of he Middle East, former colonies in Africa, have meant large increases in social welfare costs causing resentment by many working class persons get stuck with increases in the already very high income tax rates while their wages are stagnate or declining as jobs being lost to Eastern EC countries and of course, China.

The cost of housing and cost of living increasing due to many rich non--French nationals buying properties for security, investment and to launder their wealth.

Macron has some serious stuff to deal with, likely the right wingers will put pressure on him to get tough with the immigrants, some to control the protesters and reverse the diesel tax increase. He may have to 'blink' for him and his party to stay in power.

seb146

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:37 am

Blame the immigrants. Years of poor budgeting and trickle down economics, the end result is "blame the immigrants". Sad.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:53 pm

So, the French working man should take another hit in taxes and quality of life, by letting illegal immigrants into the country? Got it.

GF

Aesma

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Frankly while the protesters favor the far right I've not heard even one mention immigration. The far right lately has had far left economic proposals and that's mostly what we hear, increase the minimum wage by 10 or 20 or 50%, increase benefits, tax the rich, etc.

Airstud

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:32 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
So obviously I can use the Google, so I have a bit of background on this, but I'd love to hear our beloved members (especially the French ones) weigh in. Courtesy of the "failing" NYT: ;)

A third weekend of nationwide protests by the movement, largely made up of working-class people angry about a planned increase in fuel taxes and their dwindling purchasing power, left burned cars and smashed store windows in several of the wealthiest neighborhoods of Paris. The movement is named for the high-visibility safety vests that motorists are supposed to wear when they have roadside breakdowns.

Broken glass and empty tear gas canisters fired by the police littered the city, where hundreds of vandals joined the ranks of the protesters. One person died in the unrest this weekend outside Paris, bringing to three the number of casualties on the margins of the demonstrations over the last three weekends of protests.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/02/worl ... tests.html

Now time to put on the flamesuit... I don't care what movement it is, when you're rioting (as opposed to peacefully protesting,) graffitiing/vandalizing, blocking traffic (a huge pet peeve of mine,) I find it almost impossible to support it. It really delegitimizes the movement, and it takes a lot (at least for me) to remember that a lot of the people aren't being obnoxious and the movement's goal overall may still be just.

But for anyone that may ever protest: don't be obnoxious! Screw lawless behavior! Don't derail your own message!

When you have a bunch of aggressive rioters, I feel no sympathy when the police gas them, beat them with batons, throw them in jail, etc. Yeah, sue me. DeltaMD90 for a police state (sarcasm)

So, to our Parisians and French posters, what is it like over there?? Do you support the movement? I know the French are known for a good ol' strike or demonstration, but it usually doesn't get this wild (right?), what gives? Would you torch some innocent person's car to send a message? ;)

Sometimes farting in their general direction just isn't enough...
Pancakes are delicious.

SCQ83

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
So, the French working man should take another hit in taxes and quality of life, by letting illegal immigrants into the country? Got it.

I don't think this has a lot to do (directly) with illegal immigrants.

It is more a clash of two countries:

- People living in Paris like Macron that want to ban or make more expensive diesel fuel (btw diesel is extremely popular in France for cars and everything in agriculture uses diesel). Because diesel pollutes and it is not fancy for a Paris of Renault Zoes (the French electric car), Teslas, Nissan Leafs, Ubers, tramways and share-scheme bicycles. Of course rising diesel prices is not a concern for most Parisians which have a good network of public transportation and don't drive a lot (or they just don't have a car).

- People in the "provinces" that are already living month by month (high taxes) and for whom diesel is a need (for their cars to go to work or working tools, e.g. farmers) for whom the previous speech is insulting.

So it is about elites (Macron is a former Rothschild banker) that do not understand and do not want to understand what is happening in the rest of the country far away from their globalised city (Paris). Not very different from New Yorkers or the Bay Area that don't understand that people in Texas or Oklahoma vote Trump massively. And instead of trying to understand the reasons, they just call them "rednecks" making things worse.

Dieuwer

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Looks like Macron caved to the protesters and sacrificed the Climate to pander to the loudmouths. So much for the Paris Accord, :roll:

"Macron makes U-turn on fuel-tax increases in face of 'yellow vest' protests"
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fran ... SKBN1O30MX

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Looks like Macron caved to the protesters and sacrificed the Climate to pander to the loudmouths. So much for the Paris Accord, :roll:

Well if Obamacare in the US taught me anything, "steps in the right direction" and accepting that the little guy will be better off in the long run often doesn't end well. Fact is, this fuel tax is hurting a lot of poorer, rural citizens, and when their lives are being affected negatively they really don't care about steps in the right direction or doing what is probably best overall for one day in the future.

I'm not saying to give up on the climate. And the lawlessness many displayed irks me to no end and I'm upset that it seems to have been rewarded somewhat. But many are hurting due to these taxes... being smug about it because it (probably) doesn't affect you leads to things like a French Trump (his victory was particularly contributed by little guys down on their luck fed up with smug liberals)

anrec80

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:25 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Well if Obamacare in the US taught me anything, "steps in the right direction" and accepting that the little guy will be better off in the long run often doesn't end well. Fact is, this fuel tax is hurting a lot of poorer, rural citizens, and when their lives are being affected negatively they really don't care about steps in the right direction or doing what is probably best overall for one day in the future.

I'm not saying to give up on the climate. And the lawlessness many displayed irks me to no end and I'm upset that it seems to have been rewarded somewhat. But many are hurting due to these taxes... being smug about it because it (probably) doesn't affect you leads to things like a French Trump (his victory was particularly contributed by little guys down on their luck fed up with smug liberals)

Well - it’s interesting development. Now there’s more to it. Protesters now demand Macron and government resignation. And it all is radicalizing - just as any other extended protest does.

It’s funny that France supported Kiev Maidan, but French government doesn’t quite like one in Paris. Well, nobody will really understand Macron in Rostov. And Putin will not provide military aid, no. Regardless how nicely asked.

Aesma

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:15 pm

It's a strange protest though, only on Saturdays, then on Sundays they recover, and on Mondays they go back to work, or on roundabouts for those without a job. It's not a great situation for the country, but it's not how the current French political system will end either. Macron's support has eroded for sure, but most of these people hadn't voted for him anyway.

The government is working on ways to increase the minimum wage a little, get companies to pay for a Christmas bonus, and all should end before said Christmas.

In other news it seems the Belgian government has fallen, I'll let you look into what caused it.

UltimoTiger777

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:26 am

Aesma wrote:

In other news it seems the Belgian government has fallen, I'll let you look into what caused it.

I blame not having FPTP voting.

Aaron747

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:42 am

SCQ83 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

- People living in Paris like Macron that want to ban or make more expensive diesel fuel (btw diesel is extremely popular in France for cars and everything in agriculture uses diesel). Because diesel pollutes and it is not fancy for a Paris of Renault Zoes (the French electric car), Teslas, Nissan Leafs, Ubers, tramways and share-scheme bicycles. Of course rising diesel prices is not a concern for most Parisians which have a good network of public transportation and don't drive a lot (or they just don't have a car).

- People in the "provinces" that are already living month by month (high taxes) and for whom diesel is a need (for their cars to go to work or working tools, e.g. farmers) for whom the previous speech is insulting.

So it is about elites (Macron is a former Rothschild banker) that do not understand and do not want to understand what is happening in the rest of the country far away from their globalised city (Paris). Not very different from New Yorkers or the Bay Area that don't understand that people in Texas or Oklahoma vote Trump massively. And instead of trying to understand the reasons, they just call them "rednecks" making things worse.

This has become the issue of our time - massive gulf in values between metropolitan centers, where people are familiar with a multiculti, somewhat meritocratic way of life - and the hinterlands where people take pride in very different things. Metropolitan centers largely drive GDP, so it's impossible for the latter group to improve their political power, even with greater numbers. I don't see any solution in sight without better education.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Flighty

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 am

You should ask yourself, are the French voters from 1990 better off today than they were then? If they are worse off today, why the hell did they vote for the people they voted for? Decisions today are about future events. Today’s events are the result of decisions yesterday. Democracy normally would be expected to defend the interests and well being of the voters. If not, it means the voters have been tricked / robbed. In that case, they should be very angry. When promises are broken, careful note needs to be taken, and applied to promises heard today.
Last edited by Flighty on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

This has become the issue of our time - massive gulf in values between metropolitan centers, where people are familiar with a multiculti, somewhat meritocratic way of life - and the hinterlands where people take pride in very different things. Metropolitan centers largely drive GDP, so it's impossible for the latter group to improve their political power, even with greater numbers. I don't see any solution in sight without better education.

Hence, the wisdom of the American system where minority voices can be heard thru the functions of the Senate and the Electoral College.

GF

johnboy

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:21 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Hence, the wisdom of the American system where minority voices can be heard thru the functions of the Senate and the Electoral College.

GF

If only the Electoral College functioned as intended, and isn’t a rubber stamp.

anrec80

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 am

Aesma wrote:
It's a strange protest though, only on Saturdays, then on Sundays they recover, and on Mondays they go back to work, or on roundabouts for those without a job. It's not a great situation for the country, but it's not how the current French political system will end either. Macron's support has eroded for sure, but most of these people hadn't voted for him anyway.

The government is working on ways to increase the minimum wage a little, get companies to pay for a Christmas bonus, and all should end before said Christmas.

Typical maidan-style coup techniques in action. First, protesters demand some little things. Once the Government yields, their demands keep increasing, until they replace the whole government and president. Significantly weakening the very statehood along the way of course. I think the government's decision to remove tax increases was at least untimely, and doing so in the middle of protests was certainly a big mistake. Maidan learning - first you suppress the protests and regain the control over the situation, and then you go about analyzing what caused this and what needs to be done. And - if necessary, suppress by brute military force.

anrec80

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:16 am

Flighty wrote:
You should ask yourself, are the French voters from 1990 better off today than they were then? If they are worse off today, why the hell did they vote for the people they voted for? Decisions today are about future events. Today’s events are the result of decisions yesterday. Democracy normally would be expected to defend the interests and well being of the voters. If not, it means the voters have been tricked / robbed. In that case, they should be very angry. When promises are broken, careful note needs to be taken, and applied to promises heard today.

Well - in every Western country middle class today is worse off than that in 1990. These are global trends, and not a whole lot one President or a Mayor can do about that.

Speaking of tricking voters - political science has made a lot of progress in that. Electoral campaigns cost more and more, breaking one record after the other. This money doesn't come from average Joes, of course. So yes, the voters are getting tricked, robbed, pitched rotten BS - all of those are valid. You simply won't get enough financial resources to run your campaign relying on average Joes. And even then, if you didn't strike any deals with elite, you'll simply be cornered and removed from active duties at best, if not just maidan'ed out. But even this is not the worst.

These protests certainly are well staged and organized. Obviously, it costs a lot of money to provide organization in social networks, perhaps transportation, have organizers and professional rioters in the crowd. Yes, in Europe there are people who are trained for that and are doing it for money, often allocated as "freedom and democracy grants". Paid out of taxpayers money, businesses as "donations to NGOs". Europe is stuffed with all of this. Hence these "yellow vests" may be just used by someone in pursuit of their own agenda. Hence - you look at who is benefiting from such pressure on European governments, both inside and outside of the countries.

These things could as well be beneficial to some French business groups, who are trying to pressure Macron. In USA and UK there are divisions in diplomatic services (Foreign Office, State Dept.) who specialize on organizing such "protests", have infrastructure of NGOs funded by them and controlled by them, "youth camps" where they train fighters for police standoff, etc. It very well may be that these people, who are genuinely protesting against dropping living standards, are simply being used to show Macron and other European leaders their true place. USA aren't happy that Europe wants to trade more in Euros and see treat to American economy in such moves. UK obviously screwed all their Brexit negotiations and may be trying to negotiate a better deal. They both utilize a vulnerability point of Western European states. Such is reality.

sevenair

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:33 pm

What’s going on is that the working classes are continually lectured sneered at and looked down at by people who claim to be fighting for them when in reality the complete opposite is the case. Policies ruin working class communities yet liberal dominated politicians hijack the cause for their own self promotion. In the US it was Trump. In the UK it’s brexit. In France it’s tearing up Paris. They’re listening now. For too long the flyover states in the US, all of us north of Watford in the UK and ordinary working people outside of Paris have been ignored, looked down up and sneered at. Liberals are no longer in control. We are taking back our respective countries and you’ll see more of this in the years to come.
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

stl07

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 pm

^^It's not real "conservatives" or "flyover country people" that are doing these protests, its the youth and others watching "alternative media" and getting brainwashed by it, and start rioting against the very institutions that help them.

I went on the Alex Jones site one day and could believe how much of a separate reality these "alternative" people lived in

sevenair

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Well it’s not the champagne sipping urbanistas tearing up the streets. It’s real countryside dwellers and in France it’s the working classes and lower middle who are squeezed. Liberals sneer at them but both sides of the political spectrum have come together to reject Macron’s evil globalist agenda. The reality that these “alternative” people is likely very different from your own if I’m to make assumptions about you and your personal circumstances. This is not an Alex Jones conspiracy. This is real life ordinary hard working people outside of the Paris bubble.
Diversity is our strength. Unless it's diversity of opinion, then anything is fair game.

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pm

sevenair wrote:
What’s going on is that the working classes are continually lectured sneered at and looked down at by people who claim to be fighting for them when in reality the complete opposite is the case. Policies ruin working class communities yet liberal dominated politicians hijack the cause for their own self promotion. In the US it was Trump.

Not to defend Trump but I think he was actually the result of the working class (that often voted Dem) getting all pissed at the liberal ruling class saying they're "for them" but ended up hurting them in some ways.

Now I'm not saying Trump was the answer, nor am I saying he is fighting for the little guy selflessly, but I learned from the last adminstration that "steps in the right direction" and "it'll eventually work correctly/it should have worked correctly but isn't" may make sense to a lot of us, but to people that are struggling paycheck to paycheck and saw their healthcare rise under the ACA, it doesn't matter the intention, only the results.
(Sorry for the run-on sentence)

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but I see similarities to what's happening in France. Sure diesel taxes will help us go green, is better for the future, will help people out eventually, etc. But many of these protesters don't care about the internation because they're hurting while the ruling class isn't

NIKV69

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Wow Video on liveleak of a protester who blows his hand off trying to throw a grenade back at police. Ouch.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Wow Video on liveleak of a protester who blows his hand off trying to throw a grenade back at police. Ouch.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Just saw the video... Fire burning nearby, probably some poor innocent person's car lit on fire for no reason. Violence... pointless. You really do disservice to your cause when you act like a lawless idiot

I'm all for peaceful, lawful protest, but when you're getting violent and obnoxious I have no problem with the police swarming in and administering beatdown (metaphorically of course, only enough gas, tasers, batons, etc to subdue)

ozglobal

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:01 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
sevenair wrote:
What’s going on is that the working classes are continually lectured sneered at and looked down at by people who claim to be fighting for them when in reality the complete opposite is the case. Policies ruin working class communities yet liberal dominated politicians hijack the cause for their own self promotion. In the US it was Trump.

Not to defend Trump but I think he was actually the result of the working class (that often voted Dem) getting all pissed at the liberal ruling class saying they're "for them" but ended up hurting them in some ways.

Now I'm not saying Trump was the answer, nor am I saying he is fighting for the little guy selflessly, but I learned from the last adminstration that "steps in the right direction" and "it'll eventually work correctly/it should have worked correctly but isn't" may make sense to a lot of us, but to people that are struggling paycheck to paycheck and saw their healthcare rise under the ACA, it doesn't matter the intention, only the results.

Maybe I'm way off the mark, but I see similarities to what's happening in France. Sure diesel taxes will help us go green, is better for the future, will help people out eventually, etc. But many of these protesters don't care about the internation because they're hurting while the ruling class isn't

Sigh. This is a multi-layered and mysterious series of events:

On one level, France is often the forerunner of political awakenings across the world: the Enlightenment; Existentialism, Revolution, the 1968 protest movement, and so on. Across the West, the Middle Class was a wonderful creation of enlightened government policy following WWII, born of deliberate wealth re-distribution (check marginal tax rates under Eisenhower for example). However, the West, starting with the UK and the US especially, with Regan and Thatcher, systematically dismantled the Middle Class, by gradually turning off the tap of sponsorship and then redirecting ALL new wealth to the top !%. This is most dramatic in the US, but the French are the most proactive protesters in the West, so we tend to see first in France what is coming. See the following article from the Guardian UK: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -a-symptom

Next: This is not really about France. All so called “populist” movements are really proxy battles driven by authoritarian nationalist elements. Their real enemy is not Macron or “the right”, but the very idea of Europe: the European project of transnational citizenship vs the tribalism of nationalist identity : Please see attached discussion from mid 2017 to better say what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2jTm2 ... MnJrC-PcPM

Finally, the violence is orchestrated from outside the movement, and even outside France. It’s not just the extreme left and extreme right elements in France. It’s not just that the Russians are working overtime with 10s of 1000s of internet trolls in St Petersburg to spread anger, misinformation and fear. They are actually sending boots on the ground to perpetrate the violence on the street. Watch this clip and hear yourself what language many of the violent thugs are speaking when the rubber bullets come out on the Champs Elysees… It’s Russian !! - "Назад" https://twitter.com/___beardman____/sta ... _JnVCSemmA Specifically: they are shouting, “Назад” - “Pull back, Pull back!!” when the rubber bullets are fired. Just let that sink in a moment….

Why is this happening now? The EU elections are coming up in a matter of weeks and France and Macron, in their imperfect way, were a bulwark against authoritarian nationalism. The Russians and the National Front, as well as the French extreme left, want to destabilise France, weaken Macron and diminish the EU.

What happens next? That will depend a lot on the nerve of the government and the ability of the mainstream French to discern the lies from the reality. As you see above, this requires a lot of attention and intellectual effort to avoid being like the 1930’s middle class Germans, swept up with Nazism.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

par13del

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:23 am

So if the president wanted to encourage people to use gas versus diesel why not just lower the taxes on gas, why not make something actually cheaper versus raising the price of other items to give an appearance...

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 am

ozglobal wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:
sevenair wrote:

On one level, France is often the forerunner of political awakenings across the world: the Enlightenment; Existentialism, Revolution, the 1968 protest movement, and so on. Across the West, the Middle Class was a wonderful creation of enlightened government policy following WWII, born of deliberate wealth re-distribution (check marginal tax rates under Eisenhower for example). However, the West, starting with the UK and the US especially, with Regan and Thatcher, systematically dismantled the Middle Class, by gradually turning off the tap of sponsorship and then redirecting ALL new wealth to the top !%. This is most dramatic in the US, but the French are the most proactive protesters in the West, so we tend to see first in France what is coming. See the following article from the Guardian UK: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -a-symptom

Next: This is not really about France. All so called “populist” movements are really proxy battles driven by authoritarian nationalist elements. Their real enemy is not Macron or “the right”, but the very idea of Europe: the European project of transnational citizenship vs the tribalism of nationalist identity : Please see attached discussion from mid 2017 to better say what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2jTm2 ... MnJrC-PcPM

Finally, the violence is orchestrated from outside the movement, and even outside France. It’s not just the extreme left and extreme right elements in France. It’s not just that the Russians are working overtime with 10s of 1000s of internet trolls in St Petersburg to spread anger, misinformation and fear. They are actually sending boots on the ground to perpetrate the violence on the street. Watch this clip and hear yourself what language many of the violent thugs are speaking when the rubber bullets come out on the Champs Elysees… It’s Russian !! - "Назад" https://twitter.com/___beardman____/sta ... _JnVCSemmA Specifically: they are shouting, “Назад” - “Pull back, Pull back!!” when the rubber bullets are fired. Just let that sink in a moment….

Why is this happening now? The EU elections are coming up in a matter of weeks and France and Macron, in their imperfect way, were a bulwark against authoritarian nationalism. The Russians and the National Front, as well as the French extreme left, want to destabilise France, weaken Macron and diminish the EU.

What happens next? That will depend a lot on the nerve of the government and the ability of the mainstream French to discern the lies from the reality. As you see above, this requires a lot of attention and intellectual effort to avoid being like the 1930’s middle class Germans, swept up with Nazism.

A pretty detailed analysis, unfortunately I won't be able to read the links before I go to bed, but yes maybe there are a lot of factors at play here, micro and macro. But couldn't a lot of this be simply dissatisfaction with a few policies causing rural people grief?

I'm sure a lot of them care about the environment but when it comes down to it, they're paying a lot for fuel, and it's really affecting their livelihood. Maybe a right wing populist party comes along and takes advantage of the situation and gains a lot of power over it. Can you blame the people that voted for this party? Perhaps. Is it a huge lurge to the left? Probably not.

Like I said, it reminds me of the 2016 election and the many dissatisfied working class whites in the Midwest giving Trump a shot. Perhaps many regret it (we'll see in 2020) and call them what you want, but the Dems let them down (in their eyes at least.) If the powers-that-be in France do the same I'm sure the right wing parties will gain more prominence in the next election

Aesma

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:12 am

par13del wrote:
So if the president wanted to encourage people to use gas versus diesel why not just lower the taxes on gas, why not make something actually cheaper versus raising the price of other items to give an appearance...

Taxes on gas have also been increased, if you can believe it ! But less so, so over 5 years both will be taxed equally, both much more than before, when they were already highly taxed. Because the other idea is to reduce usage of carbon based fuels in general.

I wouldn't put that tax on the president though, it's not really at his level, and the "carbon trajectory" was voted on under his predecessor, with a carbon price increasing every year until 2030. No candidate in the presidential election talked about rolling back that tax, the greens and all the left-wing parties wanted to be more radical of course.

Other things have been made cheaper, some taxes lowered, but it seems people don't look at their paychecks, or will only be content if hundreds of euros are added, which isn't realistic in the least.

Aesma

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:18 am

anrec80 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Typical maidan-style coup techniques in action. First, protesters demand some little things. Once the Government yields, their demands keep increasing, until they replace the whole government and president. Significantly weakening the very statehood along the way of course. I think the government's decision to remove tax increases was at least untimely, and doing so in the middle of protests was certainly a big mistake. Maidan learning - first you suppress the protests and regain the control over the situation, and then you go about analyzing what caused this and what needs to be done. And - if necessary, suppress by brute military force.

Unlike Ukraine France has a long history with democracy. We have had revolutions before, constitutional crises, we're on the fifth constitution after all. This doesn't look like a "Maidan" revolution, people don't want more democracy, they want more money, so they can buy more Chinese-made stuff, and wonder why they're unemployed while watching dumb programs on their 55inch flat screen.

ozglobal

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:05 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
ozglobal wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

A pretty detailed analysis, unfortunately I won't be able to read the links before I go to bed, but yes maybe there are a lot of factors at play here, micro and macro. But couldn't a lot of this be simply dissatisfaction with a few policies causing rural people grief?

I'm sure a lot of them care about the environment but when it comes down to it, they're paying a lot for fuel, and it's really affecting their livelihood. Maybe a right wing populist party comes along and takes advantage of the situation and gains a lot of power over it. Can you blame the people that voted for this party? Perhaps. Is it a huge lurge to the left? Probably not.

Like I said, it reminds me of the 2016 election and the many dissatisfied working class whites in the Midwest giving Trump a shot. Perhaps many regret it (we'll see in 2020) and call them what you want, but the Dems let them down (in their eyes at least.) If the powers-that-be in France do the same I'm sure the right wing parties will gain more prominence in the next election

It's definitely the proximate argument that set off the movement, but remember, there is no leader at all. The whole 'movement' is orchestrated by FaceBook groups. Pay attention to the timing, which is designed to have maximum impact against the pro-EU French presidency and resistance to authoritarian populism. Who gains from this? Largely, Putin, who wants to see a divided and weakened Europe. Facebook manipulation of the masses is the Russian speciality currently and it seems to be working. BTW, RT website can't hide their delight at the chaos being caused in France. So yes, genuine grievances; and yes, darker forces are intensifying and brutalising it with specific timing for their own ends.

L410Turbolet

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:08 am

ozglobal wrote:
The EU elections are coming up in a matter of weeks and France and Macron, in their imperfect way, were a bulwark against authoritarian nationalism.

LOL, I see you are still buying all the hype created around Macron. This is so 2016. The fact is, there really is no demand for the vision of EUrope Macron is selling, i.e. transfer union, dirigist, interventionist, centralized superstate, where any internal competition is eradicated and where everyone else is "just markets" and subjected to Franco-German diktat. EU as a French imperial project, paid for by German guilt money.
I suspect Macron's arrogance didn't help him much either. Seriously, a guy with approval level in low 20s, with his own country under state of emergency for years still has the nerve to lecture others?

"There’s a deeper reason Macron has come up short, however, argues Jan Techau, the director of the Europe program at the German Marshall Fund of the U.S.

“He’s not the real European he wanted us to believe he was,” Techau said, arguing that Macron is essentially a Gaullist who has put French national interest above all else. “He’s not a European for Europe’s sake but for France’s sake.”

That reality has manifested itself in a variety of arenas, from diplomacy to defense to the commercial sphere."

https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanue ... -and-fall/

ozglobal wrote:
this requires a lot of attention and intellectual effort to avoid being like the 1930’s middle class Germans, swept up with Nazism.

Drama queen much? This is just as absurd argument as endless doomsday scenarios coming from Brussels whenever there is yet another power grabbing, "more EUrope" legislation on the table: "We have to approve this, otherwise we shall be fighting each other in the trenches in Flanders.

ozglobal wrote:
The whole 'movement' is orchestrated by FaceBook groups. Pay attention to the timing, which is designed to have maximum impact against the pro-EU French presidency and resistance to authoritarian populism.

I only hope you get the irony of using the same paranoid and ridiculous arguments Kremlin trolls use whenever there is a protest against Putin.

ozglobal wrote:
Who gains from this? Largely, Putin, who wants to see a divided and weakened Europe.

I don't dispute that. However, sometimes you get the impression Merkel and Macron are more than happy to do Putin's bidding. They are too happy to play along with Putin and Trump respectively, tearing NATO apart. It is Macron still yapping about two-speed Europe, which would inevitably weaken it, but who cares Macron is trying to overcompensate the fact that France really has no friends in the East and in the North of the EU.
As far as French farmes moaning about paying through their nose for everything... despite obscene CAP subsidies? Gimme a break.

scamp

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Paris, the city of lovers, is glowing this evening! True, that's because it's on fire, but still there's l'amour!
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

anrec80

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 pm

ozglobal wrote:
Specifically: they are shouting, “Назад” - “Pull back, Pull back!!” when the rubber bullets are fired. Just let that sink in a moment….

These could also be Ukrainians - they all speak Russian there. Keep in mind - that country is stuffed with all sorts of dudes experienced and inspired by Maidan, and who can’t find themselves any other use in this life. After all, a group of 5 armed (!) Ukrainians was arrested right before a similar mass action in Georgia. And - that group was headed by a Ukrainian MP, who avoided arrest thanks to a diplomatic passport and left the country.

ozglobal wrote:

So this is Russian fault as well? French state, just as most western ones, has been living beyond its means for too long. French all want to retire at 60, have all sorts of labor unions, social protections, etc. Too many things their country can no longer afford. And Russia has to do something with that?

Super80Fan

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Good for France, time to drag the guillotines out from storage!

Hopefully they take their country back by any means necessary.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

ozglobal

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 pm

anrec80 wrote:
ozglobal wrote:
Specifically: they are shouting, “Назад” - “Pull back, Pull back!!” when the rubber bullets are fired. Just let that sink in a moment….

These could also be Ukrainians - they all speak Russian there. Keep in mind - that country is stuffed with all sorts of dudes experienced and inspired by Maidan, and who can’t find themselves any other use in this life. After all, a group of 5 armed (!) Ukrainians was arrested right before a similar mass action in Georgia. And - that group was headed by a Ukrainian MP, who avoided arrest thanks to a diplomatic passport and left the country.

ozglobal wrote:

So this is Russian fault as well? French state, just as most western ones, has been living beyond its means for too long. French all want to retire at 60, have all sorts of labor unions, social protections, etc. Too many things their country can no longer afford. And Russia has to do something with that?

Putin's interest in a destabilised, weakened EU is clear. So too is the timing. You're going to have to explain how it is rather in the Ukraine's interest. This should be good....

Dieuwer

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Looks like France is going the way of Italy: cut taxes, increase salaries and outlays, and hope the bond market won't notice.

anrec80

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 am

Super80Fan wrote:

I wouldn’t rush with guillotines. One of EU’s eastern neighbors did exactly the same about 5 years ago. Results aren’t anything but sad. And their country isn’t quite theirs.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 am

Super80Fan wrote:

Nah, the Mirage, order the Russian ambassador over and let him know that France considers encouraging violence and speeding fake news in its support and act of war.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

Scorpius

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Aesma wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Unlike Ukraine France has a long history with democracy. We have had revolutions before, constitutional crises, we're on the fifth constitution after all. This doesn't look like a "Maidan" revolution, people don't want more democracy, they want more money, so they can buy more Chinese-made stuff, and wonder why they're unemployed while watching dumb programs on their 55inch flat screen.

LOL, protesters during the Maidan just stated that the Association with the EU=the growth of wages and pensions to the European level. This was the main populist slogan at the time. If you looked at the speeches of politicians who ruled the Maidan, you would hear how they promise the population this. Plus, lower gas prices for the population and utility bills. It Yatsenyuk declared that"for the population the price for gas will be no more than 70 dollars for one thousand cubic meters".

Who said such nonsense that in Ukraine allegedly protested against lack of democracy?

Scorpius

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Nah, the Mirage, order the Russian ambassador over and let him know that France considers encouraging violence and speeding fake news in its support and act of war.

Best regards
Thomas

Oh Yes. Again "the fault of Russia". I should have guessed.

tommy1808

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Scorpius wrote:
Oh Yes. Again "the fault of Russia". I should have guessed.

yeah.. you should have. Not much evil is going on in western countries that isn´t caused, promoted or financed by the criminal of the Kremlin.

It is not that difficult to track what the Russian irregular forces in St. Petersburg et al are up to, the internet is kinda public....

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

UltimoTiger777

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

They had an election in 2017, they get to have another one in 2022.

zkojq

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:14 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Rubbish. Macron has done more for the poor and those in rural areas than LePen, Fillon (or probably Melenchon) ever would.

Dieuwer wrote:

Yeah it's stupid. I understand why he did it, but Macron should have stood his ground. The movement was dying anyway.

anrec80 wrote:
Typical maidan-style coup techniques in action.

Stop trying to pretend that this has anything at all to do with Ukraine.

sevenair wrote:
Well it’s not the champagne sipping urbanistas tearing up the streets. It’s real countryside dwellers

Is it really? Where did they park their cars when they came into Paris to trash the place? :banghead:

ozglobal wrote:

Good post. I guess that fits with one of a.net's regular Pravda trolls upthread trying to compare this to Ukraine and spread derision. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Kremlin was sending money to the protest leaders as well, just like they did to Le Pen and the FN.

ozglobal wrote:
Who gains from this? Largely, Putin, who wants to see a divided and weakened Europe. Facebook manipulation of the masses is the Russian speciality currently and it seems to be working.

:checkmark:
Most recently flown: A318 F-GUGQ A319 F-GRHR A320ceo D-AIZH A320neo D-AINE A330-300 VH-QPD A350-900 B-LRA A380-800 D-AIMH 717 VH-YQW 737-600 LN-RPA 737-700 OY-JTY 737-800 LN-NGA 767-300 ZK-NCI 777-200 ZK-OKA 777-300 ZK-OKN 787-9 ZK-NZK CS100 HB-JBG