User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Apparently, millennials are a prudish, and sexless generation. They say the lack of sex is likely due to stress, but since when did a little stress keep young people from having sex? Sex is good at destressing, so I’m sure there’s something else going on. I wonder if there’s a correlation between this and the amount of pornography millennials had access to while growing up. If you’ve seen everything by the age of 15, there’s not much excitement left I suppose.

It’s been several YEARS for me. 2014/15 or somewhere around there. Maybe they’re onto something.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ople-worry
 
User avatar
777222LR
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Well with Tumblr basically shutting down, maybe millennials will be back at it again.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Likely due to an increased awareness about STDs.
 
User avatar
mad99
Posts: 1121
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:33 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:13 pm

A generation of wankers basically.
 
seb146
Posts: 18519
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 pm

They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing. How can they be expected to bring children into this world when they themselves start off deep in debt and will carry that debt for a decade or more? Also, the "no means no" culture can make some think twice. I don't think it is STI infection rates. That seems to be more in places where sex ed is non existent.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
TSS
Posts: 2725
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Between fashion trends going from "I want you to find me attractive" to "I dare you to find me attractive", people "identifying" as one thing while possessing naughty bits that are traditionally associated with something else (Surprise!), and the need to get a formal document drawn up, signed, witnessed, notarized, and officially filed at the county courthouse before any touching of any kind or even a glance lasting longer than two seconds can take place lest good old garden variety "buyer's remorse" turns into a #metoo fiasco that ruins your life, sex may simply not be worth it to a lot of people anymore.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:03 pm

TSS wrote:
Between fashion trends going from "I want you to find me attractive" to "I dare you to find me attractive", people "identifying" as one thing while possessing naughty bits that are traditionally associated with something else (Surprise!), and the need to get a formal document drawn up, signed, witnessed, notarized, and officially filed at the county courthouse before any touching of any kind or even a glance lasting longer than two seconds can take place lest good old garden variety "buyer's remorse" turns into a #metoo fiasco that ruins your life, sex may simply not be worth it to a lot of people anymore.

Eh, millennials don't really care about metoo and all that when it comes to sex unless it's rape. I would definitely say the younger generations dress way more sexually than before so I'm unsure why you would think that they don't dress as much.

I would say the STDs talk is very jarring (and now mandatory) in high school
 
N757ST
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing. How can they be expected to bring children into this world when they themselves start off deep in debt and will carry that debt for a decade or more? Also, the "no means no" culture can make some think twice. I don't think it is STI infection rates. That seems to be more in places where sex ed is non existent.


You realize some of that is self inflicted stress... right? I’ll agree the prices of education are too high, but perhaps more millennials should actually do a cost analysis do help decide where they seek their education. There are far too many teachers, social workers, etc that are receiving 150k educations for professionals that don’t pay d@ck... that’s on them. Be responsible, and if you are going to get a high priced education make sure your profession can support the cost.

Again, I realize education is out of control, hence I save a grand plus a month for my kid and he’s 3 years old, but own your debt as well. No one put a gun to these kids head and said go to Georgetown for a degree in art history.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 8679
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:43 pm

I don't know what millenials they're talking to - the Brit and Canadian f*ckboys I see in bars over here regularly are trying to get with as many local women as they possibly can. It's worth noting they and local folk are also keeping urologists busy lol - chlamydia and syphilis both are at unprecedented levels in Japan.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 pm

N757ST wrote:
seb146 wrote:
They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing. How can they be expected to bring children into this world when they themselves start off deep in debt and will carry that debt for a decade or more? Also, the "no means no" culture can make some think twice. I don't think it is STI infection rates. That seems to be more in places where sex ed is non existent.


You realize some of that is self inflicted stress... right? I’ll agree the prices of education are too high, but perhaps more millennials should actually do a cost analysis do help decide where they seek their education. There are far too many teachers, social workers, etc that are receiving 150k educations for professionals that don’t pay d@ck... that’s on them. Be responsible, and if you are going to get a high priced education make sure your profession can support the cost.

Again, I realize education is out of control, hence I save a grand plus a month for my kid and he’s 3 years old, but own your debt as well. No one put a gun to these kids head and said go to Georgetown for a degree in art history.

Yes, but going to a "good college" is so important to kids these days that they are forgetting the point of high school isn't to get only As and take all AP classes and be the captain of swim, basketball, and the debate team. So they (and the parents) view the good college as the reward and destination, completely forgetting about the rest of life and the fact that many medium schools are just as fine. "Good" Colleges are now even asking kids to describe their home/social life as well as spirituality/community service if nonreligious to ensure that kids actually did something in high school instead of manufacturing themselves for the "good" school,
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Millenials already got screwed by previous generations, so it's no surprise that sex isn't high on our list of things to do.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 16174
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Millenials already got screwed by previous generations, so it's no surprise that sex isn't high on our list of things to do.


The reality is, they're too busy being offended by everything to have the time for sex.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 6766
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 am

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Millenials already got screwed by previous generations, so it's no surprise that sex isn't high on our list of things to do.


The reality is, they're too busy being offended by everything to have the time for sex.

While being called an entitled generation because back in the day a person could work part time and afford a decent education. The nerve of these Millennials.

Not to mention...the diamond business and housing market are going bankrupt because Millennials spend too much money on avocado toast.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
afcjets
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 am

scbriml wrote:
The reality is, they're too busy being offended by everything to have the time for sex.


:checkmark:

TSS”] the need to get a formal document drawn up, signed, witnessed, notarized, and officially filed at the county courthouse before any touching of any kind or even a glance lasting longer than two seconds can take place lest good old garden variety "buyer's remorse" turns into a #metoo fiasco that ruins your life, sex may simply not be worth it to a lot of people anymore.[/quote]

:checkmark: :checkmark:


[quote="stl07 wrote:
Eh, millennials don't really care about metoo and all that when it comes to sex unless it's rape


Yes they do.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/young ... 2018-02-27

“he put his arm around a woman’s shoulder on their first date as they walked, but then became worried it was in appropriate, so he moved his arm around her waist. He panicked that that, too, was inappropriate, and ultimately he ended up linking arms with her and awkwardly walking to heir destination. “He was so nervous everything he was doing was wrong”

she must have been so turned on!
 
ltbewr
Posts: 13627
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 am

Many 'millenials' attended school at time where all but a few public schools taught comprehensive sexual education, encouraging delaying having sex until an adult (over 18). Millinial women are more empowered to say no and may be more selective in sexual partners. Economic factors like student loan debt, poor paying jobs, and lets face it, dating isn't cheap especially if have little spare cash. Many don't have privacy as live with others or at home with parents. Facebook and other social media means fewer opportunities to meet others outside your orbits, Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.
 
afcjets
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 am

ltbewr wrote:
Facebook and other social media means fewer opportunities to meet others outside your orbits


Ever heard of Tinder? :lol:


ltbewr wrote:
Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.


Bite your tongue, your going to offend many on your side by suggesting restricting access to abortion could result in fewer unwanted pregnancies. If someone like Ann Coulter said that, people would be outraged.
 
LMP737
Posts: 5708
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:27 am

There's gotta be video evidence that says otherwise. ;)
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9825
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:15 am

ltbewr wrote:
Many 'millenials' attended school at time where all but a few public schools taught comprehensive sexual education, encouraging delaying having sex until an adult (over 18). Millinial women are more empowered to say no and may be more selective in sexual partners. Economic factors like student loan debt, poor paying jobs, and lets face it, dating isn't cheap especially if have little spare cash. Many don't have privacy as live with others or at home with parents. Facebook and other social media means fewer opportunities to meet others outside your orbits, Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.


That is all well and good, and polite kids are taught not to have sex until what, college? I think the message is very confused. Young people are taught that sex is a tragedy. Hilarious when you think about who is talking. I think of the hypercautious sex Ed as a bunch of lies. Well educated and well situated kids are not going to be poor even if they do get pregnant. And yet they basically taught that normal sex is this scary thing. Then suddenly they are 36 and desperately trying to have kids. They were literally miseducated about human biology. Trying to have your first kid at 36 is medically ludicrous. But that is where polite society is today. Pregnancy is a disaster, if you’re headed for success. What a totally backwards thing to be teaching young people. IMO
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 6766
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:41 am

afcjets wrote:
Ever heard of Tinder? :lol:

I have. To quote a guy on Instagram: #SingleAsAPringle

I agree ltbewr when it comes to dating. I still wonder how people used to do it before social media and e-dating became a thing. Of course, being gay also means the number of available bachelors is reduced, but then you gotta figure out if you have the physique/race for them (and viceversa), whether they're interested in you (and you in them), and whether you both actually want to meet Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now.

Even on Tinder (and Surge, which is the gay equivalent of Tinder), the fact that you have to judge on looks alone pretty much discards a big segment. The ones who match with you, about half want Mr. Right Now, the other half is as dull as drying wallpaper, boring in person, or just matched to say they matched but never reply.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
seb146
Posts: 18519
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:43 am

N757ST wrote:
seb146 wrote:
They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing. How can they be expected to bring children into this world when they themselves start off deep in debt and will carry that debt for a decade or more? Also, the "no means no" culture can make some think twice. I don't think it is STI infection rates. That seems to be more in places where sex ed is non existent.


You realize some of that is self inflicted stress... right? I’ll agree the prices of education are too high, but perhaps more millennials should actually do a cost analysis do help decide where they seek their education. There are far too many teachers, social workers, etc that are receiving 150k educations for professionals that don’t pay d@ck... that’s on them. Be responsible, and if you are going to get a high priced education make sure your profession can support the cost.

Again, I realize education is out of control, hence I save a grand plus a month for my kid and he’s 3 years old, but own your debt as well. No one put a gun to these kids head and said go to Georgetown for a degree in art history.


You make it sound like they all WANT to go to an Ivy league school just to study French literature or something stupid. There are those who do, sure. But, there are those who go into law, medicine, tech, and are still deep in debt working a low wage job because they can not find a job in their chosen profession. It is not "all or nothing". Many make smart choices and still end up deep in debt.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 am

Flighty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Many 'millenials' attended school at time where all but a few public schools taught comprehensive sexual education, encouraging delaying having sex until an adult (over 18). Millinial women are more empowered to say no and may be more selective in sexual partners. Economic factors like student loan debt, poor paying jobs, and lets face it, dating isn't cheap especially if have little spare cash. Many don't have privacy as live with others or at home with parents. Facebook and other social media means fewer opportunities to meet others outside your orbits, Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.


That is all well and good, and polite kids are taught not to have sex until what, college? I think the message is very confused. Young people are taught that sex is a tragedy. Hilarious when you think about who is talking. I think of the hypercautious sex Ed as a bunch of lies. Well educated and well situated kids are not going to be poor even if they do get pregnant. And yet they basically taught that normal sex is this scary thing. Then suddenly they are 36 and desperately trying to have kids. They were literally miseducated about human biology. Trying to have your first kid at 36 is medically ludicrous. But that is where polite society is today. Pregnancy is a disaster, if you’re headed for success. What a totally backwards thing to be teaching young people. IMO



I sh*t you not, they forced us my sophomore or junior year of high school in health class:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Too_Young

Just about the most unrealistic, sensationalist piece of drivel I've ever seen. I'm glad they emphasized the whole safe sex angle, but at the same it kept preaching the whole "every 16/17 year old guy is out there to take advantage of your daughter" thing.
Last edited by 1989worstyear on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
bagoldex
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 am

Student loan debt as an impediment to sex? Seriously? I could see that as an argument if we were discussing low rates of country club memberships but sex is free!
 
seb146
Posts: 18519
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:14 am

bagoldex wrote:
Student loan debt as an impediment to sex? Seriously? I could see that as an argument if we were discussing low rates of country club memberships but sex is free!


Trying to pay off large debt with a small salary and you are expected to pay for housing and health care and go find a mate. Sure, sex is free, but getting in the mental state to want to find someone to hook up with takes time and money, too.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
bagoldex
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:53 am

seb146 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
Student loan debt as an impediment to sex? Seriously? I could see that as an argument if we were discussing low rates of country club memberships but sex is free!


Trying to pay off large debt with a small salary and you are expected to pay for housing and health care and go find a mate. Sure, sex is free, but getting in the mental state to want to find someone to hook up with takes time and money, too.


I think you're exaggerating the situation. Yes there's a lot of student loan debt out there but the vast majority are not so crippled by it that they can't engage in basic human activities.
 
seb146
Posts: 18519
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:08 am

bagoldex wrote:
seb146 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:
Student loan debt as an impediment to sex? Seriously? I could see that as an argument if we were discussing low rates of country club memberships but sex is free!


Trying to pay off large debt with a small salary and you are expected to pay for housing and health care and go find a mate. Sure, sex is free, but getting in the mental state to want to find someone to hook up with takes time and money, too.


I think you're exaggerating the situation. Yes there's a lot of student loan debt out there but the vast majority are not so crippled by it that they can't engage in basic human activities.


And the other poster who said all millennials get art history degrees and flip burgers? It is not just student debt, but health care costs, cost of housing, cost of food, all with the back drop that they are expected to reproduce and own cars and houses when they don't or know they can not afford to. They know how much a baby is to raise to adulthood and know, from personal experience, that "adulthood" could be well into their 30s.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8420
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:23 am

Hmm, I thought pr0n was the obvious answer but everyone has their own theories. Still think I'm right

Fapfapfapfapfap
 
NIKV69
Posts: 11964
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:51 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Likely due to an increased awareness about STDs.


Or trips to Starbucks
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!
 
User avatar
TSS
Posts: 2725
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I agree ltbewr when it comes to dating. I still wonder how people used to do it before social media and e-dating became a thing.

Bars. Social events (local concerts, ball games, etc.). For religious types, any church of a decent size had a Bible Study class or group just for adult singles, and the better ones would occasionally organize a trip to a bowling alley or miniature golf course as well.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Of course, being gay also means the number of available bachelors is reduced,

That was the beauty of gay bars, the good ones, anyway, back in the day: When you walked through the door you knew with 99.9% certainty that every guy in there, no matter what he looked like, how he acted, or how he was dressed, was gay too. It was not unusual on a busy night to see a pro wrestler carrying on an animated conversation with a hairdresser, a heavy equipment operator swapping dirty jokes with a drag queen, or a long-haired, tattooed biker quietly and intensely discussing some subject of mutual interest with a business man in an expensive three-piece suit.

einsteinboricua wrote:
but then you gotta figure out if you have the physique/race for them (and viceversa), whether they're interested in you (and you in them), and whether you both actually want to meet Mr. Right or Mr. Right Now.

Two things:
1. You couldn't go out to a gay bar with such a specific agenda in mind, to do so was to beg for disappointment every time. Even the most minor of "general" game plans often got derailed. The night you say "I'll just stop in for one", half your friends are already there and the other half drift in as the night progresses and you wind up staggering out the door at 3 am with a big stupid grin on your face. You get all fixed up and say "Tonight I'm gonna PARTY!" and it winds up being nobody but you, the one bartender you don't care for, and the occasional tumbleweed blowing through for the rest of the night.
2. Back in the olden days, even considering all that before talking to someone would have been considered "Jumping the gun" by a long shot. Either casually strike up a conversation with a stranger (I have no problem doing this but I realize a lot of people can't or won't) or join a conversation already in progress and see where it goes. Or if you're too bashful to even do that, put your quarters up on the pool table and you'll more or less have to carry on some form of conversation with or at the very least introduce yourself to the person you wind up playing.

einsteinboricua wrote:
Even on Tinder (and Surge, which is the gay equivalent of Tinder), the fact that you have to judge on looks alone pretty much discards a big segment. The ones who match with you, about half want Mr. Right Now, the other half is as dull as drying wallpaper, boring in person, or just matched to say they matched but never reply.

You just identified the problem with going by looks alone. Like most people I have an ideal ethno-physical "type", but have never actually dated anyone who conformed to that criteria because the ones I've met who did have all been either dull as dishwater, utterly devoid of a sense of humor, or outright jerks. Instead I've always gone for guys with good senses of humor who were fun to be around and they all fell into the "Not much my type", "Not my type", and occasionally "Not AT ALL my type" categories. You can't tell whether or not someone is fun to be around by looking at their Tinder or Surge profile.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
tommy1808
Posts: 9415
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:35 am

afcjets wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.


Bite your tongue, your going to offend many on your side by suggesting restricting access to abortion could result in fewer unwanted pregnancies. If someone like Ann Coulter said that, people would be outraged.


well, it would likely be false in any case. It would appear that in the real world easy access to abortions reduces the number of abortions. It would seem likely that easy access to abortions also reduces the number of unwanted pregnancies, because people hardly have less sex because of that, but without the "taboo", make better decisions with regards to contraception.
Pretty much the same mechanism where "abstinence only" education increases the number of unwanted pregnancies.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......
 
Draken21fx
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am

Love the topic...reminds me of this quite provoking article in The Guardian again a few months back.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/11/young-people-drunk-acohol-millenials

Also sometimes I remind me of those guys...

Image
 
User avatar
777222LR
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Okay, okay...stop the millennial bashing! Millennials were raised by which generation again????

1. Millennials and myself (I'm 1980 so I fall on the tail and cusp of two generations) were taught that sex was bad. Throw in a hyper-religious family and bam, panic about what is a natural human need/desire.

2. Shaming of sex from previous generations/religion

3. Previous generations encouraged, if not forced millennials to seek higher education, no matter what. "You can't do anything in life without a college degree they said. You WILL go to college." - It's when they get out from underneath their parents rule, in that expensive college, where they find themselves, and realize that art history is really what they are interested in. They don't know enough to do a "cost-benefit analysis" as one suggested, so they roll with it. They also stick where they are because even though they are 19 or 20, their parents shaming them for switching degrees is enough to deal with...not sure they can take the shame if they move to a 2 year college.

4. AIDS AIDS AIDS, YOU'LL DIE OF AIDS. I swear, this is all of what we heard in the 90s. Yes, it was/is a scary disease. We didn't know how to treat it well, so those images we saw of people dying of it scared us. And the sex ed? Well, "Abstinence is the only way you won't die..." - I'm 38, and that still lingers in the back of my mind. Oh, and the shame previous generations put on sex, or even talking about sex, or your penis/vagina...whatever.

While some tout their generation as "The Greatest Generation" or the "Baby Boomers" where they perceive themselves morally superior and more well-adjusted...Well, I have news for you. You weren't. It was an outward appearance for show for friends/peers. Millennials are just dealing with your disfunction they experienced at home, and working on themselves so they don't repeat it.

Quit being afraid of the next generation being different than you.
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:48 pm

So I read each and every post since my last one. It's a lot to unpack. I think there are a lot of shallow people here who don't even realize it. A lot of anecdotal stuff which I don't believe necessarily reflects upon the generation of "millennials." Its clear everyone has had different experiences in their life across the country and perceive things through that lens.

I, as a conservative (as you all know), have never felt religion ever influenced my sexual habits. Nor have I let it drive my choices. I find it interesting that so many people point to it as a significant driver, despite most posters here being more liberal. I would think they'd be the last one to think religion is a significant reason for a drop in sexual activity. If anything, if religion was the sole driver, we would see sexual activity increase as the number of religious individuals decrease (which is the current trend).

We also have to consider, what statistics are we comparing to. Were the previous levels of sexual activity artificially high? Perhaps the level we are at now is simply normal?
 
User avatar
DeltaMD90
Posts: 8420
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I, as a conservative (as you all know), have never felt religion ever influenced my sexual habits. Nor have I let it drive my choices. I find it interesting that so many people point to it as a significant driver, despite most posters here being more liberal.

Glad that you haven't, it's not fun, at all. It's even worse for religious gays, so bad it often leads to suicide (not gay but know many of them that dealt with pain growing up). Again, glad your experience was different but it is an anecdote not shared by many.

You point out that a lot of people mention religion are liberal... It's not a coincidence or ironic. Many grow up religious, conservative, had a tough time dealing with their sexuality, and on the other side came out of it non-religious and liberal.

I'd be willing to bet many on here fit the category.

Heck, I kinda do (I'd say I'm moderate, not that every view I have is moderate, I've got some to the left and right actually, but way oversimplifying it I'd say I'm more left, after growing up very conservative) And I'm not religious any more, though secks had nothing to do with it

trpmb6 wrote:
If anything, if religion was the sole driver, we would see sexual activity increase as the number of religious individuals decrease (which is the current trend).

I do agree with you here though. I would've thought less religiousness would lead to more sexual activity. It probably does actually, but other factors are probably tipping it the other way
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7570
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:54 pm

777222LR wrote:
Okay, okay...stop the millennial bashing! Millennials were raised by which generation again????

1. Millennials and myself (I'm 1980 so I fall on the tail and cusp of two generations) were taught that sex was bad. Throw in a hyper-religious family and bam, panic about what is a natural human need/desire.

2. Shaming of sex from previous generations/religion

3. Previous generations encouraged, if not forced millennials to seek higher education, no matter what. "You can't do anything in life without a college degree they said. You WILL go to college." - It's when they get out from underneath their parents rule, in that expensive college, where they find themselves, and realize that art history is really what they are interested in. They don't know enough to do a "cost-benefit analysis" as one suggested, so they roll with it. They also stick where they are because even though they are 19 or 20, their parents shaming them for switching degrees is enough to deal with...not sure they can take the shame if they move to a 2 year college.

4. AIDS AIDS AIDS, YOU'LL DIE OF AIDS. I swear, this is all of what we heard in the 90s. Yes, it was/is a scary disease. We didn't know how to treat it well, so those images we saw of people dying of it scared us. And the sex ed? Well, "Abstinence is the only way you won't die..." - I'm 38, and that still lingers in the back of my mind. Oh, and the shame previous generations put on sex, or even talking about sex, or your penis/vagina...whatever.

While some tout their generation as "The Greatest Generation" or the "Baby Boomers" where they perceive themselves morally superior and more well-adjusted...Well, I have news for you. You weren't. It was an outward appearance for show for friends/peers. Millennials are just dealing with your disfunction they experienced at home, and working on themselves so they don't repeat it.

Quit being afraid of the next generation being different than you.


Do you think that generation X or the Baby Boomers had more understanding and less religious parents?
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7570
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:00 pm

And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.
 
User avatar
fallap
Posts: 884
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm

seahawk wrote:
And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.


Are you serious?
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:46 pm

fallap wrote:
seahawk wrote:
And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.


Are you serious?


Millennials also get defensive
 
seb146
Posts: 18519
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:54 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
So I read each and every post since my last one. It's a lot to unpack. I think there are a lot of shallow people here who don't even realize it. A lot of anecdotal stuff which I don't believe necessarily reflects upon the generation of "millennials." Its clear everyone has had different experiences in their life across the country and perceive things through that lens.

I, as a conservative (as you all know), have never felt religion ever influenced my sexual habits. Nor have I let it drive my choices. I find it interesting that so many people point to it as a significant driver, despite most posters here being more liberal. I would think they'd be the last one to think religion is a significant reason for a drop in sexual activity. If anything, if religion was the sole driver, we would see sexual activity increase as the number of religious individuals decrease (which is the current trend).

We also have to consider, what statistics are we comparing to. Were the previous levels of sexual activity artificially high? Perhaps the level we are at now is simply normal?


You make some interesting points.

I have seen studies that show millennials are less religious, too. I think some of this has to do with greater internet usage. Researching things, talking easily with other cultures, sharing ideas and opinions. Religion shamed a lot of people into not enjoying sex but, rather, seeing sex as only being under certain conditions. Now, millennials are seeing that sex can be fun but only between those who want it. I think they take "no means no" to heart. Once they are rejected, they move on.

This goes nicely with Seahawk's post. I don't think it is fear of rejection, but, rather, understanding that rejection will happen. So, instead of hounding someone until they cave, I would say that millennials simply take no for the final answer and move on to someone else.

I think it really depends on which religion a person is raised in, too. My brosband was raised Catholic, so he still thinks of sex as dirty. Oh, we enjoy it, but he still thinks it is dirty. Me, being raised in a progressive Protestant sect, do not see sex as dirty at all. Just something that happens. It was my peers and school who told me sex was dirty.

Groups have also tried to do studies on homosexuality. I remember that many people would not answer truthfully out of fear or shame. Perhaps millennials are not ashamed to answer truthfully because they have had open and honest conversations with their peers? Not just about homosexuality but all of sexuality?

The brosband was born in the transition time between Baby Boomer and Gen-X. I am solidly Gen-X, closer to Gen-Y, as the kids used to call it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
EasternSon
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:08 pm

It's hard to get laid when you have no money to go out to the bars, and can't bring a girl home because you live with your parents.

I'm not a millennial, but my sex life took a pause after college for the same reasons.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac
 
seb146
Posts: 18519
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm

EasternSon wrote:
It's hard to get laid when you have no money to go out to the bars, and can't bring a girl home because you live with your parents.

I'm not a millennial, but my sex life took a pause after college for the same reasons.


I thought you kids were big on Tinder, Grindr, Match, etc.? I hear about these things on the TV, so I just thought those might be helpful?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
seahawk
Posts: 7570
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:29 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:16 pm

fallap wrote:
seahawk wrote:
And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.


Are you serious?


Yes, there are some serious studies that millennials have problems handling frustration. And I have just been through some management courses on how to lead people from Generation Y and millennials and one of the things to take away was that they have problems handling frustration and sometimes find it stressful to make decisions when presented with too many options. Imho both traits are not helping when you want to find a partner.
 
User avatar
787Driver
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:40 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
fallap wrote:
seahawk wrote:
And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.


Are you serious?


Millennials also get defensive


lol owned
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 1593
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:43 pm

I also wonder if there is a struggle with managing expectations. And this could be in a variety of forms, not just expectations that your potential partner be of a certain creed/color/culture/hairstyle/etc.

I wonder if there has been a study performed that determined if online dating apps improved or worsened dating as a whole. I could see where it may have helped in certain areas, perhaps people who are slightly more introverted, but hurt in other places.
 
User avatar
TSS
Posts: 2725
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:52 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I also wonder if there is a struggle with managing expectations. And this could be in a variety of forms, not just expectations that your potential partner be of a certain creed/color/culture/hairstyle/etc.

I think you may have hit on the real problem. Everything else mentioned upthread, religion, debt, fear of STDs, fear of pregnancy, fear of rejection, etc., are things that every previous generation has had to deal with and yet still somehow managed to "get a leg over" occasionally. The thing that's different about Millennials is they are the first "Participation Trophy" generation, wherein the reward for simply trying an activity or endeavor is exactly the same as excelling at said activity. That's all very warm & fuzzy for a peewee football team, but it's diametrically opposed to how the real adult world works and it's gotta be tough going from being praised and petted for just showing up to having to actually compete and win to get not just the prize but any acknowledgement at all.

trpmb6 wrote:
I wonder if there has been a study performed that determined if online dating apps improved or worsened dating as a whole. I could see where it may have helped in certain areas, perhaps people who are slightly more introverted, but hurt in other places.

This is an unscientific hypothesis, but I'd imagine the results of such a study would break down as follows:
Attractive but vapid- Vastly improved
Attractive and charming- Little or no change
Unattractive and charming- Dramatically worsened
Unattractive and vapid- Little or no change
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!
 
Flighty
Posts: 9825
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:07 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
Flighty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Many 'millenials' attended school at time where all but a few public schools taught comprehensive sexual education, encouraging delaying having sex until an adult (over 18). Millinial women are more empowered to say no and may be more selective in sexual partners. Economic factors like student loan debt, poor paying jobs, and lets face it, dating isn't cheap especially if have little spare cash. Many don't have privacy as live with others or at home with parents. Facebook and other social media means fewer opportunities to meet others outside your orbits, Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.


That is all well and good, and polite kids are taught not to have sex until what, college? I think the message is very confused. Young people are taught that sex is a tragedy. Hilarious when you think about who is talking. I think of the hypercautious sex Ed as a bunch of lies. Well educated and well situated kids are not going to be poor even if they do get pregnant. And yet they basically taught that normal sex is this scary thing. Then suddenly they are 36 and desperately trying to have kids. They were literally miseducated about human biology. Trying to have your first kid at 36 is medically ludicrous. But that is where polite society is today. Pregnancy is a disaster, if you’re headed for success. What a totally backwards thing to be teaching young people. IMO



I sh*t you not, they forced us my sophomore or junior year of high school in health class:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Too_Young

Just about the most unrealistic, sensationalist piece of drivel I've ever seen. I'm glad they emphasized the whole safe sex angle, but at the same it kept preaching the whole "every 16/17 year old guy is out there to take advantage of your daughter" thing.


Oh yeah, I conveniently forgot the whole "all men are basically rapists" angle. What isn't taught is the counterargument to that. For every complaint about men being too aggressive, there is also a complaint about men not being aggressive enough! What about all the women or men in that situation??? We never hear about that, do we. We never admit that basically people flirting is a good thing, a necessary thing for human life. It is not "devaluation" or "misconduct." Without flirting and indeed a bit of aggression we are ALL dead and never born.
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 8679
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

seahawk wrote:
fallap wrote:
seahawk wrote:
And to add to this the one simple is reason is a huge inability to handle rejections and disappointment. It is kind of sad to see an 23 year old engineering student unable to approach a 19 year old female apprentice during the lunch breaks for over a year. It is sadder that he says that he prefers to keep dreaming about being with her instead of asking her out and risking a rejection.

That is the problem imho. Finding a partner comes with rejections, not every one you would like to be with wants to be with you, but millennials ca not handle rejections.


Are you serious?


Yes, there are some serious studies that millennials have problems handling frustration. And I have just been through some management courses on how to lead people from Generation Y and millennials and one of the things to take away was that they have problems handling frustration and sometimes find it stressful to make decisions when presented with too many options. Imho both traits are not helping when you want to find a partner.


This is incredibly true in my experience. Management over 35 like myself finds managing post-1985 millenials to be excruciating. They want to read 10 things into every email or short conversation, discuss the matter amongst oneselves until five new anxiety-inducing rumors have started, and so on. Then there's the six paragraph emails that come in advance of us hearing about any perceived screw-up, and if not that - silence. The amount of face time required to soothe their frustrations and provide encouragement boggles the mind.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
afcjets
Posts: 2253
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 am

777222LR wrote:
Okay, okay...stop the millennial bashing! Millennials were raised by which generation again????


:checkmark:

A generation of too many self centered parents.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 am

Flighty wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
Many 'millenials' attended school at time where all but a few public schools taught comprehensive sexual education, encouraging delaying having sex until an adult (over 18). Millinial women are more empowered to say no and may be more selective in sexual partners. Economic factors like student loan debt, poor paying jobs, and lets face it, dating isn't cheap especially if have little spare cash. Many don't have privacy as live with others or at home with parents. Facebook and other social media means fewer opportunities to meet others outside your orbits, Some just are not ready to take the risk of being a mother or father in their unstable lives or want to have an abortion for moral reasons or as they become more difficult to legally obtain.


That is all well and good, and polite kids are taught not to have sex until what, college? I think the message is very confused. Young people are taught that sex is a tragedy. Hilarious when you think about who is talking. I think of the hypercautious sex Ed as a bunch of lies. Well educated and well situated kids are not going to be poor even if they do get pregnant. And yet they basically taught that normal sex is this scary thing. Then suddenly they are 36 and desperately trying to have kids. They were literally miseducated about human biology. Trying to have your first kid at 36 is medically ludicrous. But that is where polite society is today. Pregnancy is a disaster, if you’re headed for success. What a totally backwards thing to be teaching young people. IMO


A lot of women have babies in their 30’s. Do you mean 46, because having a baby at 36 isn’t really abnormal at all.
 
Airstud
Posts: 4230
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am

seb146 wrote:
They are probably stressed because of student loans and paying for health care and not able to afford housing.


So were we (Generation X).

Try again.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
CitizenJustin
Topic Author
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Re: Millennials Have Less Sex

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 am

Flighty wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
Flighty wrote:

That is all well and good, and polite kids are taught not to have sex until what, college? I think the message is very confused. Young people are taught that sex is a tragedy. Hilarious when you think about who is talking. I think of the hypercautious sex Ed as a bunch of lies. Well educated and well situated kids are not going to be poor even if they do get pregnant. And yet they basically taught that normal sex is this scary thing. Then suddenly they are 36 and desperately trying to have kids. They were literally miseducated about human biology. Trying to have your first kid at 36 is medically ludicrous. But that is where polite society is today. Pregnancy is a disaster, if you’re headed for success. What a totally backwards thing to be teaching young people. IMO



I sh*t you not, they forced us my sophomore or junior year of high school in health class:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/She%27s_Too_Young

Just about the most unrealistic, sensationalist piece of drivel I've ever seen. I'm glad they emphasized the whole safe sex angle, but at the same it kept preaching the whole "every 16/17 year old guy is out there to take advantage of your daughter" thing.


Oh yeah, I conveniently forgot the whole "all men are basically rapists" angle. What isn't taught is the counterargument to that. For every complaint about men being too aggressive, there is also a complaint about men not being aggressive enough! What about all the women or men in that situation??? We never hear about that, do we. We never admit that basically people flirting is a good thing, a necessary thing for human life. It is not "devaluation" or "misconduct." Without flirting and indeed a bit of aggression we are ALL dead and never born.


Straight men have it TOUGH. My female friends constantly complain about guys that aren’t aggressive enough (they’re a pussy, a wuss, weak, beta male, possibly gay, ), but then turn around and complain when a guy is aggressive (he’s a rapist, stalker, creep, serial killer). They also expect the man to pay for everything. If he doesn’t, they never talk to him again. I don’t have this problem, because I don’t flirt with girls, but I’ve always thought straight men got the shit end of the stick. Having to initiate contact, ask for the first date, pay for everything, make the first move etc.....

This all needs to change IMO. The double standards are out of control, and men shouldn’t have their sexuality questioned by women of all people if they don’t follow these outdated traditions. The expectations placed on men are ridiculous.

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos