Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:23 pm

...was the Detroit Times Building, in 1978:

http://historicdetroit.org/building/detroit-times-building/
Pancakes are delicious.

frmrCapCadet

Re: The incorrect building to have demolished

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdome# ... g_collapse

It could not keep up with the ever-rising economics of modern pro-ball teams and leagues.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

trpmb6

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:22 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence% ... nt_Stadium

They're just starting to remove the rubble.

Another favorite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Arena

I remember watching them blow it up on TV while in school.

seb146

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:06 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdome#1994_ceiling_collapse

It could not keep up with the ever-rising economics of modern pro-ball teams and leagues.

That place was a pit! They had a minor earthquake just before a game and ceiling panels fell off! No one was in the stands to watch another loss, so no one was hurt, but still!

The Denman St. Arena in Vancouver was destroyed by fire but there is not even a plaque to commemorate the spot where the first hockey team west of the Rockies won the Stanley Cup.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TSS

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:54 pm

The (old) Birmingham Train Station, demolished in 1969 to make way for a housing project which has since also been demolished-
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Channex757

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 pm

The original Wembley Stadium.

This new thing that replaced it is just a soulless multi-tiered mess. If the FA had instead somehow refurbished the old Twin Towers then the history of the place would have been preserved.

England 1966 World Cup.....Live Aid......all the great concerts like Queen's Magic Tour....endless FA Cup matches......

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 am

Pan Am Worldport. Richard Anderson had zero respect for aviation or its history. It's a good thing Delta retired the 767-200 while Gerald Grinstein was still CEO. Richard Anderson would have sold the Spirit of Delta for scrap metal.

northstardc4m

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

The correct answer is the original Pennsylvania station, NYC, in 1963

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl ... prov=sfla1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

ltbewr

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:55 am

northstardc4m wrote:

Absolutly. The Pennsylvania Railroad as well as the NJ commuter railroads and LIRR were all in deep financial trouble, long distance passenger railroads were disappearing. So the owner, the Pennsylvania RR sold the above ground rights to build office buildings and Madison Square Garden with the old Penn station destroyed, the below ground remainder a pit of depression. The destruction of NY Penn Station did trigger the building preservation movement leading to the saving of many buildings including NYC's Grand Central Station. It is interesting to note that the still partially used main USPS 'Farley' station, across 8th Avenue from Penn Station, built in the early 20th Century. a nice looking building with massive pillars and a huge open area inside will become the replacement for the Amtrak and some NJ Transit trains. Problem is politics and money hassles have continued to delay its being done.

TSS

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:56 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Pan Am Worldport. Richard Anderson had zero respect for aviation or its history. It's a good thing Delta retired the 767-200 while Gerald Grinstein was still CEO. Richard Anderson would have sold the Spirit of Delta for scrap metal.

Ehh…
Purely as a work of art, yeah, it was beautiful.
As an architectural experiment in non-traditional construction methods, yeah, it proved a building could be built that way. The problem was it's unique construction, basically 32 single-pier, single-strand suspension bridges that were exposed to the elements supporting the main horizontal members of the roof, demanded intensive and regular maintenance that was rarely if ever provided. Close-ups on Google and Bing maps from just before it's demolition clearly showed that the roof cables and their attachment points were severely rusted, meaning that in all probability a good wind from the right direction would have snapped one of those rusty cables and brought the already famously leaky roof crashing down in a spectacular cascade reaction as one by one the other cables around the ring snapped due to the added stress from one of their neighbors failing.
Aside from construction and maintenance issues, it was too small for it's intended purpose within five years of it's opening with no way to expand it except by adding on an extension that in no way matched or echoed the original building.

So, pluses:
Beautiful
Arguably Historic

Minuses:
About to fall in of it's own accord
Too small for it's purpose
Occupying some of the most valuable property on the planet

3-2, I'm afraid it had to go.

T18

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 am

Well if it wasn't just building the answer would be Meigs Field. For just a building I always wonder if places like old stadiums needed to be torn down or if we could have upgraded with out demolition (see Fenway and Wrigley)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:11 am

northstardc4m wrote:

Well no; see, it was the Detroit Times' building.

(See opening post.)
Pancakes are delicious.

ER757

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 am

T18 wrote:
Well if it wasn't just building the answer would be Meigs Field. For just a building I always wonder if places like old stadiums needed to be torn down or if we could have upgraded with out demolition (see Fenway and Wrigley)

Wrigley should have been bulldozed 50 years ago - was a craphole then and is a craphole now (full disclosure, I am a White Sox fan).
What should be done is build a replica of it but with modern amenities someplace that has expressway access and parking. You could have the same field dimensions, the ivy covered walls, the manual scoreboard, the whole bit but not be in a 100 year old dump that you'd have to worry if the upper deck is gonna come crashing down if someone stamps their feet too hard.

And for the record, the Sox' current stadium sucks - an abomination that I haven't set foot in for over 20 years

northstardc4m

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:12 am

Airstud wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

Well no; see, it was the Detroit Times' building.

(See opening post.)

One word there sinks your argument...

Detroit... did anyone even notice it was gone for a few years?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:28 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Detroit... did anyone even notice it was gone for a few years?

Plans for demolition of the building, unused since 1975, were announced in mid-January 1978 by V. Leonard Hanna, vice president finance and control of the Evening News Association.
That month, its former staffers were invited back in to say goodbye. Kehetian was one of those who returned.

“A lot of us were sorry we did it,” he says. “I know I did. It was like a morgue. Old paint was peeling. Empty. … Quite a few years had skipped by and you’re going back. You remembered where the copy desk was and remembered how once in a while Jim Trainor missed the spittoon. It was like going back to a high school reunion and no one looked the same.”

The following month, a demolition crew showed up with a wrecking ball.
“I didn’t turn back to watch, but I heard Albert Kahn’s top floor scream and die,” he wrote. “It sounded like a lot of sand pouring from a huge sack. Either it was Kahn’s Indiana limestone being crushed into cascading dust by the steel ball or it was someone going from book to book, erasing the poetry. Before the end of the day, the building that had housed some of Detroit’s titans of journalism and fed readers’ need for news for nearly 50 years was gone,” Prady wrote

So... yes.
Pancakes are delicious.

T18

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:52 am

ER757 wrote:
T18 wrote:

Wrigley should have been bulldozed 50 years ago - was a craphole then and is a craphole now (full disclosure, I am a White Sox fan).
What should be done is build a replica of it but with modern amenities someplace that has expressway access and parking. You could have the same field dimensions, the ivy covered walls, the manual scoreboard, the whole bit but not be in a 100 year old dump that you'd have to worry if the upper deck is gonna come crashing down if someone stamps their feet too hard.

And for the record, the Sox' current stadium sucks - an abomination that I haven't set foot in for over 20 years

Good to know, the Cub fans I know keep telling me its the best park in America. Good to know they are still delusional. lol
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

alfa164

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

:checkmark: It still sticks in my craw that Anderson wouldn't even entertain an outside proposal to renovate, reuse, and update the building - and to add a better terminal than what was done with the tacked-on hallway at then end of T4.

northstardc4m wrote:

:checkmark: Definitely! A functioning historic landmark replaced by a nondescript blob of a complex.

I would add my concern for the future of Detroit's Packard plant; proposals come and go, but the buildings continue to be left to deteriorate, as the proposers back out of their grandiose plans. If it goes, it will be a bigger crime than losing the Detroit Times Building, Michigan Station (fortunately, it appears that will be rescued by Ford), and another of my Detroit favorites: the Hudson Department Store.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am

alfa164 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

:checkmark: Definitely!

Ahem... NO, as was established at the top of the present thread, and reiterated above, the correct answer is the Detroit Times Building.

alfa164 wrote:
I would add my concern for the future of Detroit's Packard plant

Future? You don't think it's deteriorated past the point of no return? :boggled:
Pancakes are delicious.

alfa164

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 am

Airstud wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

:checkmark: Definitely!

Ahem... NO, as was established at the top of the present thread, and reiterated above, the correct answer is the Detroit Times Building.

Sorry; you only get one vote - and you have already been outvoted.

Airstud wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
I would add my concern for the future of Detroit's Packard plant

Future? You don't think it's deteriorated past the point of no return? :boggled:

If I thought that it had, I wouldn't have written what I did.

:roll:

Jouhou

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:51 am

Half the buildings demolished in the US in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Urban Renewal era was a really grim time for architecture.

Dutchy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:24 am

Jouhou wrote:
Half the buildings demolished in the US in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Urban Renewal era was a really grim time for architecture.

Absolutely, the 50-ish and 60--ish was the dark decades as it comes to urban renewal projects. In the Netherlands there was a wave to make room for the car. There were proposals to make iconic canals in Amsterdam and Utrecht into highways and with a lot of demolishing of old buildings in order to have you take a car downtown. You can't imagine that anyone would seriously propose something like that, nowadays.

Most iconic building in my hometown that they demolished, in this period, to make way for a shopping center is: 'De Utrecht'. Jugendstil building.

This replaced it :cry: .

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Jouhou

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 am

Dutchy wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Absolutely, the 50-ish and 60--ish was the dark decades as it comes to urban renewal projects. In the Netherlands there was a wave to make room for the car. There were proposals to make iconic canals in Amsterdam and Utrecht into highways and with a lot of demolishing of old buildings in order to have you take a car downtown. You can't imagine that anyone would seriously propose something like that, nowadays.

Most iconic building in my hometown that they demolished, in this period, to make way for a shopping center is: 'De Utrecht'. Jugendstil building.

Well I guess we aren't alone! Thought it was mostly a U.S. thing since my time in Europe indicated to me Europeans never got as focused on removing "blight" by replacing urban neighborhoods with highways and parking lots.

Dutchy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 am

Jouhou wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Well I guess we aren't alone! Thought it was mostly a U.S. thing since my time in Europe indicated to me Europeans never got as focused on removing "blight" by replacing urban neighborhoods with highways and parking lots.

Luckely it never came of the drawing board. After the war, Europe's economy was booming, the middle class also got access to cars and they looked to America as an utopia. But like I said, nobody in his right mind would propose something like that and many mistakes of the passed are repaired nowedays.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TSS

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:48 pm

In Reply #10 of this thread I stated that the roof supports of the Worldport were held up by single-strand cables; Research indicates they were triple-strand as shown in the construction photo below-

Nonetheless, the cables and their attachment points were still badly rusted and in danger of catastrophic failure at the time of the Worldport's demolition.

readytotaxi

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:04 pm

In the UK the famous White City stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_City_Stadium

A great number of different sporting events took place there.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.