smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Worst Christmas song

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Now that the festive cheer in full swing, and running around the shops maxing out the credit card. What music making your toes curl. :twisted:

Mine is "Merry Xmas Everybody" by Slade.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed

vikkyvik

Re: Worst Christmas snog

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 pm

I suppose you mean the incorrect Christmas song.

In which case, the answer is indisputably "Little Drummer Boy".

Close second is "Feliz Navidad".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NIKV69

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Every time I hear Dominick the Donkey I want to drive my car into something.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

trpmb6

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
vikkyvik wrote:

You take that back!

WildcatYXU

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:31 pm

vikkyvik wrote:

What's wrong with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GrNeSWhU98
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

TSS

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

What's wrong with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GrNeSWhU98

Love Joan Jett, love the song "Little Drummer Boy", but does anyone besides me see the irony of a song called "Little Drummer Boy" being played in a manner in which the lead and rhythm guitars almost entirely dominate? Why, as far as I know, has this song never been done semi-acapella with only drums for accompaniment and guitars and bass not coming in until the crescendo after the break? Seriously, just start off with a simple military cadence (rat tat-tat-tat-tat tat-tat-tat-tat… ) that builds in complexity as the verses progress then pull out all the stops and go full-on, Keith Moon-style bonkers on the line "Then, He smiled at me…". Is that too much to ask?

Now that I've got that long-festering rant out of my system, the incorrect Christmas song is "Do They Know it's Christmas?". Guilt rock at it's finest that you aren't allowed to critique rationally because "it's for a good cause".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BartSimpson

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 pm

For me, every Christmas song except "Fairytales of New York" by the Pogues which I hereby declare the correct Christmas song. And the winner by a high margin for the incorrect Christmas song is of course "Last Christmas". That one should be classified as a WMD.

Alas, as I'm not listening to the radio anyway, I'm safe.

seb146

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Going by just the title of this thread, his name was Matthew.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

trpmb6

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Jingle Bell Rock

seb146

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 pm

oh, excuse me.... I am being told I have misunderstood the title of the thread.... My bad.

There are only two Christmas songs I do not want to cut people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kYEK-pxs_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMxgttJpbZE
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

EstherLouise

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 am

McCartney's throwaway bullshit song: "Wonderful Christmas Time." I swear, he wrote and recorded it in five minutes with no f*cks given for quality or thought or depth.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

T18

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:11 am

10 posts and not one mention of 'Santa Baby' or 'Baby its cold outside'. Both give me the creeps. for different reasons. 1st one, he is a married man stop trying to seduce him and the second song just feels like the dude doesn't take No for No.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Airstud

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:21 am

People obviously didn't read the thread title.

The worst Christmas snog would have to be "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

Just by default.
Pancakes are delicious.

cledaybuck

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:28 am

seb146 wrote:
Going by just the title of this thread, his name was Matthew.

Thank god! I was waiting for someone to make fun of that typo.

fr8mech

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:51 am

Anything by Mariah Carey, Madonna or Justin Bieber.

But seriously, those, so called contemporary artists/songs drive me to holiday grumpiness.

I am much more a fan of Pentatonix, Straight-No-Chaser, Savatage...sorry...Trans-Siberian Orchestra, KING & COUNTRY, etc.

Though, some of the classics still make me smile.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 am

trpmb6 wrote:
You take that back!

Never.

WildcatYXU wrote:
What's wrong with this?

Aside from the part in the middle where she goes off-key, and the part near the end where she plays some octaves also off-key (or maybe just some modern progressive thing I'm not aware of), I suppose it's not the worst Christmas song cover.....but there's nothing particularly special about it either. I'd call it bland.

TSS wrote:
Love Joan Jett, love the song "Little Drummer Boy", but does anyone besides me see the irony of a song called "Little Drummer Boy" being played in a manner in which the lead and rhythm guitars almost entirely dominate?

Well...the guitars hardly do anything but play chords and palm-muted eighth notes. No solos or anything.

Airstud wrote:

Saw the typo, didn't think it was funny enough to post about.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ER757

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 am

Airstud wrote:

The worst Christmas snog would have to be "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

Just by default.

I very nearly posted that one about the time you did, but after further consideration, I'm going with "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth." Little kid faking a speech impediment while screeching crappy lyrics off-key - checks all the boxes

Un-related to the topic per se' but still about Christmas songs - I remember George Carlin once said his favorite Xmas song was O Come All Ye Faithful because it successfully combined religion with sexual satisfaction :smile:

fsx98

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:10 am

There are a few Xmas songs that I really don't like: "Santa Baby" by Madonna is the worst version of all versions of "Santa Baby", because the song is way too cute to my ears, beyond the point that it is becoming an ear-sore. "Baby it's Cold Outside" by Meghan Trainor and Brett Eldridge is my least favorable version of all versions of "Baby it's Cold Outside," simply because that version is sung by Meghan Trainor, the singer that I really despise for her uninspiring songs of "All About that Bass," "Lips Are Movin'" and "NO," and the worst being "Me Too." I also forgot to mention that Meghan Trainor's "I'll Be Home for Christmas" is very unoriginal compared to other versions of the same title, as the lyrics substantially differ to the original version. But overall, in general, I would change stations to avoid listening to Meghan Trainor's Xmas songs or even her ear-sore mainstream (non-Xmas) songs.

Now I know this is off topic, but I liked the original and classic Xmas songs from Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis, Burl Ives, the Carpenters, Eartha Kitt, Nat King Cole, the Ronettes, Gene Autry, and many others, as well as Xmas songs from today's favorites such as Kelly Clarkson, Mannheim Steamroller (favorite song from them is "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," btw), TSO (Trans-Siberian Orchestra), Elizabeth Chan, Mariah Carey, Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr., and many others as well, and wouldn't mind listening to such of their songs very often.
Aviation junkie + computer expert!

TSS

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am

vikkyvik wrote:
TSS wrote:
Love Joan Jett, love the song "Little Drummer Boy", but does anyone besides me see the irony of a song called "Little Drummer Boy" being played in a manner in which the lead and rhythm guitars almost entirely dominate?

Well...the guitars hardly do anything but play chords and palm-muted eighth notes. No solos or anything.

Yes, but they do so so loudly that you can hardly hear the drums over them. I realize that's a tape of a live performance, but surely whoever was at the board could have adjusted the levels for that one song, particularly since I'd imagine it was done as an encore rather than part of a main set (I could be way off on that though, that's just how I'd have done it). The name of the song isn't "The Little Lazy Guitarist".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jetwet1

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:03 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
And the winner by a high margin for the incorrect Christmas song is of course "Last Christmas". That one should be classified as a WMD.

Alas, as I'm not listening to the radio anyway, I'm safe.

This, just this, I was walking through one of our hotels which now have Christmas music playing, Last Christmas was played 6 times in a row sung by different artists, it has since been banned from our properties.

Btw, being English, I looked at the thread title and had a whole different answer ready.

trpmb6

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:15 pm

I suppose the incorrect christmas snog would be your coworker under the mistletoe?

OA412

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm

I actually like most Christmas music (yeah, yeah, yeah), but there are certainly a few that I think are pretty terrible. "Do They Know it's Christmas?" and "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" stand out as pretty bad.

fr8mech wrote:
Anything by Mariah Carey, Madonna or Justin Bieber.

Madonna's version of Santa Baby is awful and I don't listen to Justin Bieber, but Mariah's Christmas stuff is classic!

T18 wrote:
10 posts and not one mention of 'Santa Baby' or 'Baby its cold outside'. Both give me the creeps. for different reasons. 1st one, he is a married man stop trying to seduce him and the second song just feels like the dude doesn't take No for No.

I like Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt's version), but while I actually do like Baby it's Cold Outside, I fully admit the song is rapey as hell.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

trpmb6

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm

OA412 wrote:
"I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" stand out as pretty bad.

I had forgotten that blunder of a song.

Is Baby its cold outside really considered a christmas song? I mean, strictly speaking, there's nothing in the song that hints at holiday cheer or christmas in some form. I mean it's no more a Christmas song than Nelly's Hot in Herre is a Labor Day song...

OA412

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Is Baby its cold outside really considered a christmas song? I mean, strictly speaking, there's nothing in the song that hints at holiday cheer or christmas in some form. I mean it's no more a Christmas song than Nelly's Hot in Herre is a Labor Day song...

Strictly speaking, it's not. It's winter-themed, and so it's made its way into the Christmas canon, but it's not specifically a Christmas song.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

mbmbos

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:19 pm

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" always seemed trite to me.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

TTailedTiger

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Every time I hear Dominick the Donkey I want to drive my car into something.

Agreed. Same with the Hippopotamus song.

DocLightning

Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 pm

The BEST Christmas song ever written was "New Kids Got Run Over By a Reindeer." I think it was Weird Al.

The worst? Probably "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." It gets into my brain and circles around and WON'T LEAVE.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm

"We wish you a Merry Christmas" and "Feliz Navidad"
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

afcjets

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:18 am

Not technically a Christmas song, right before Christmas break 1987, as a hs senior after drinking beers in the parking lot we went to see what would be one of my favorite movies, Less than Zero. It opens with Andrew McCarthy landing at LAX on a 747 as he returns home for Christmas break as a freshman in college from back east while the Bangels (worst 80s female band if not worst 80s band) Hazy Shade of Winter (I didn’t know it at the time but was a 60s remake) is playing. The very next scene he is at an 1980s excess Christmas party in BH. I am excited because my first trip to LA is coming up in a few weeks and I can’t wait. LA is a two day stop before Hawaii (another first for me) where I am using college days to visit UCLA (not officially but I get two free days off and seniors with near perfect attendance are exam exempt). A blizzard with a record 12 inches causes another several days off and we leave a day early. Another first for me is a 767, Piedmont’s fourth one arrives and now flight 1 at 9a is now also a 767. We depart from C4 and takeoff at 1155a because it takes that long for crews to arrive with a foot of snow on the ground. Hazy Shade of Winter is on the inflight audio channel just like the LA bound flight scene in the movie too, however when we cross the CA state line the already classic We got the Beat by the GoGos is playing (the best 80s female pop rock band, if you consider Blondie a solo artist). IIRC Piedmont was doing a spotlight on female bands that month. I associate that song with Christmas 1987 and the blizzard of January 1988, LA, and a brand new Piedmont 767. Ironically two days later, my first AA and first DC10 flight, but my second flight 1 on this trip. The return flight is AA flight 2 of course, a red eye, but Piedmont flight 10 is the immediate connection, as their flight 2 doesn’t depart until after 12 noon.

alfa164

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:52 am

Alvin and the Chipmunks ("Christmas Don't be Late"). So bad, I would be willing to forego Christmas to avoid it.

PanHAM

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 am

Personalyy actualy my favorite but I agree that it could actually qualify for worst sond as well is

GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER

Walking home from our house Christmas eve. Well, Granny drank too much eggnogg.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

stratclub

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:21 pm

All of them..............