WarRI1
Topic Author

An honest man.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:30 am

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/homeles ... 05165.html

This is a story that makes one realize there are honest people out there. What would you have done?
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Airstud

Re: An honest man.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:49 am

I hope I'd have taken the dough to the cops, like you're supposed to; then I hope I'd somehow be able to forget about it (for 90 days; longer if necessary).
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:37 am

I have no doubt what I would do...I would turn it in, whether to the police, or if I had some certainty as to origin, the whom it belongs.

Forty some-odd years ago (I was 8 or 9), I was walking with one of my father's friends in Flatbush, Brooklyn. We had just come out of a bank (The Greater New York Savings Bank), when I looked down and saw a passport with twenty dollar bills tucked in it. I pointed it out to my dad's friend. He quickly scooped it up and practically dragged me down the street. Turns out there was $300. I was given $20 since I found it.

That incident has bothered me since, and became a formative event for my moral compass.

I have NO doubt what I would do.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:10 am

fr8mech wrote:
I have no doubt what I would do...I would turn it in, whether to the police, or if I had some certainty as to origin, the whom it belongs.

Forty some-odd years ago (I was 8 or 9), I was walking with one of my father's friends in Flatbush, Brooklyn. We had just come out of a bank (The Greater New York Savings Bank), when I looked down and saw a passport with twenty dollar bills tucked in it. I pointed it out to my dad's friend. He quickly scooped it up and practically dragged me down the street. Turns out there was $300. I was given $20 since I found it.

That incident has bothered me since, and became a formative event for my moral compass.

I have NO doubt what I would do.

I have never found any money, but I am confident I would also return it. I have never doubted my honesty, nor my wife's. I have to live with myself. If I read this correctly, you were not shown a good example. I can see why that bothered you. I have people in my own family who would not return a dime, never mind serious money. Funny how that works.

casinterest

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:26 am

Earlier this year I stepped out of my car at a local grocery store. Lying on the ground at my feet was a wallet. I picked it up, carried it inside and checked the owner's name on his license. There was cash, but I did not count it or check it . Then I handed it to the customer service agent who said they just got a call from a frantic guy looking for his wallet. Sure enough 10 minutes later as I was checking out, I saw him arrive and claim it.

Made me feel good , as I had done the same thing a year earlier, and someone was good enough to do the same for me.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

TTailedTiger

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:47 am

I found a $50 bill on the floor of the men's department at Neiman Marcus a couple of years ago. I rarely ever see $50 bills so that was kind of odd. But I took it up to one of the customer service desks. I have no idea if anyone ever claimed it. But I'm guessing it belonged to an older person. People my age don't carry large amounts of cash around. You'll never get it back if you lose it. However if someone steals my credit card I'll get every cent back.

CitizenJustin

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 am

I once left my wallet at a store. A few hours later my doorbell rang, and a very kind woman had my wallet in her hand. She got my address from my DL, and was kind enough to take time out of her day to return it. I was blown away, and not one cent was missing.

fbgdavidson

Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 am

I've found a few things before and always tried to reunite it with owner.

Back in about 1991 I found a brand new cellphone which I turned into the police. No idea what happened there.

A few years back I found a wallet on the ground of a pretty nice mall I used to frequent. The wallet was stuffed with cash and the driver's license was clearly visible when I opened it up. I was walking towards the information desk with it in my (slightly outstretched arm - so as if I weren't trying to claim it as my own) and I saw the guy's face from the license walking towards me. He didn't see me holding the wallet but I called his name as he was about to go past me. I've never seen anyone so thankful before!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Braybuddy

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

WarRI1 wrote:
What would you have done?

This story made the news here today too. Nice to hear of good stories, and there are still decent people out there. If I found that amount of money I'd search for the owner for sure. If it was a smaller amount, say a single note I wouldn't bother, unless I actually saw the person dropping it. I think most people would operate along similar lines.

readytotaxi

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:23 pm

I found a wallet in a supermarket car park,really stuff with cash in large bills, lots of credit cards and a drivers licence. The guy lived about a mile away so I drove round there and knocked on the door. I had the licence in my hand and his face matched right off, I handed him his wallet and he almost burst into tears. Turns out it was holiday money for the trip next day. It does feel good to help others.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

zkojq

Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Return it. It's not mine and 17k isn't going to make a noticeable difference to my life or make me any happier. Plenty of people need it more.
Most recent aircraft flown: A318 F-GUGQ, A319 F-GRHR, A320ceo D-AIZH, A320neo D-AINE, A330-300 VH-QPD, A350-900 B-LRA, A380-800 D-AIMH, 717 VH-YQW, 737-600 LN-RPA, 737-700 OY-JTY, 737-800 LN-NGA, 767-300 ZK-NCI, 777-300 ZK-OKN, 787-9 VH-ZNA, CS100 HB-JBG

prebennorholm

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:37 am

If I found a bag with $17k: When handing it in at the police station, then I would instruct them never to relate it to me.

No normal person carries that amount in cash. 99% chance that a drug dealer or something similar is missing the money and is quite pi$$ed to lose it.

Better not get too much involved in money transfer between various drug gangs. Just a way to reduce risk of lead poisoning.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:32 am

Braybuddy wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
What would you have done?

This story made the news here today too. Nice to hear of good stories, and there are still decent people out there. If I found that amount of money I'd search for the owner for sure. If it was a smaller amount, say a single note I wouldn't bother, unless I actually saw the person dropping it. I think most people would operate along similar lines.

I agree about the small amount and the ability for some to act like human beings when it is called for. :smile:

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:37 am

prebennorholm wrote:
If I found a bag with $17k: When handing it in at the police station, then I would instruct them never to relate it to me.

No normal person carries that amount in cash. 99% chance that a drug dealer or something similar is missing the money and is quite pi$$ed to lose it.

Better not get too much involved in money transfer between various drug gangs. Just a way to reduce risk of lead poisoning.

If that is the case and it is ill gotten gains from drugs, it makes it all the sweeter to see it go to someone who needs help. God knows they have created millions of desperate people with their drug dealing. Justice to me. If it was and act of anonymous charity, God Bless them and you guys on here who acted as honest people and millions more who have done so.

fallap

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:48 am

I would have returned all of the $15,000 at the nearest police station and walk away with a clean consciousness. :b
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

dfwjim1

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:28 am

Enjoying this topic. My manager mentioned that he found a wallet in a public place, kept the cash for himself and left the wallet where he found it. What little respect I had for him disappeared.

fr8mech

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 pm

fallap wrote:
I would have returned all of the $15,000 at the nearest police station and walk away with a clean consciousness. :b

$2,000 worth of clean conscious?
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.