Jouhou
Topic Author

Medication Allergies?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 am

Anyone have experience with medication allergies? I got prescribed Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, banned in the UK because it has deadly side effects in sensitive people) for a probable Staph infection, where I had a giant rapidly growing abscess that ruptured a few hours before I saw my doctor, but there were still fluid filled pockets deeper in and adjacent to that abscess, so I was put on antibiotics that still work on MRSA so I might be able to avoid surgery.

First 2 doses i was fine, 3rd dose was fine but while I was at work I had a sudden onset of symptoms that felt like the kind that come with a severe infection (chills, muscle pain/weakness, nausea, brain fog, shallow dry cough, puffiness around my face) and when I tried to ask my boss of It I could go home he called an ambulance on me instead. I had no fever and concluded I was just having some adverse effects from my antibiotics and they let me go. I took a 4th dose and went to bed.

Fifth dose all of the severe side effects came back only this time they were more severe plus now getting hot flashes, sore throat and mouth.

I looked up into on the med, figured out there's more type of hyper sensitivity to a med than just anaphylaxis. So now I'm just not going to take anymore doses until I can speak to my doctor.

Meanwhile, I want people to share their drug reaction experiences because clearly I was poorly informed about the variety of "drug allergy" types out there.

fr8mech

Re: Medication Allergies?

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:04 am

While, I'm not sure it's really an allergy, I have a hyper-sensitivity to epinephrine. I found that out a few years ago when I was having some dental work done. A few seconds after getting the numbing agent injected, I got tachycardic and arrhythmic. I got ridiculously anxious (panic attack?), and started sweating. The dentist noticed it and quietly motioned for her assistant to standby the AED.

An eternity later...really, about 45-60 seconds, the reaction passed. The dentist made a notation to use the non-epinephrine laced numbing agent from then on.

I haven't come across any other medication that I've had an adverse reaction to. I do not count the chemo drugs as actual medication.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:31 am

Not 100% familiar with Bactrim, I'm pretty sure it is just a brand name for co-trimoxazole.

We dish out loads of co-trimoxazole daily at my hospital here in the UK. We tend to use a generic or Septrin brand, depending on whatever contract the NHS has with suppliers at the time.

I'm going to look up Bactrim later, just out of sheer curiosity.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Not 100% familiar with Bactrim, I'm pretty sure it is just a brand name for co-trimoxazole.

We dish out loads of co-trimoxazole daily at my hospital here in the UK. We tend to use a generic or Septrin brand, depending on whatever contract the NHS has with suppliers at the time.

I'm going to look up Bactrim later, just out of sheer curiosity.

Weird, yeah it's just an easier to say brand name. It's smz-tmp on the bottle and when I read about the side effects on the internet I saw peop!e mention it was "banned" several times in the american side of google results but it appears that's just internet disinformation. It seems that UK physicians were just urged to use more caution in prescribing it.

Also I guess I should mention I was prescribed 800-160 mg pills, looks like it comes in half the dosage otherwise.