Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Prosecutors: Cohen broke law at Trump's direction

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:55 am

This may well be a game changer. The WH has denied it, of course, but if prosecutors can prove this, then it may herald a significant decline in the President's political position. The

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/poli ... index.html

Along with further revelations expected from Mueller over the next few days - not to mention the expected resignation of John Kelly, things seem to be going from bad to worse for the President, but of all the troubles he faces, this has to be the most serious - the first (if proven) clear evidence that the President has broken the law, even if indirectly.

With a significant Republican majority in the Senate, it's hardly likely that impeachment could happen, no matter what the charge against him, so here is the question: can the President only be removed by impeachment, or could the FBI, the NY Prosecuting authorities - or indeed any other US prosecuting authority - indict him, in the absence of (or indeed, given the unlikelihood of) an impeachment?

How are things likely to unfold from here?

NIKV69

Re: Prosecutors: Cohen broke law at Trump's direction

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:40 am

Personally? About the only thing that can happen is Pelosi will ask Trump to resign and he will laugh in her face. Oh yea and CNN will go 24 hour crazy. When they should be preparing Joe Biden and making sure he has no skeletons because at this point he is the only person who can get Trump out of the White House.
I am the Googlizer!!!

zkojq

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 am

Muller was going after Ivanka a couple of weeks ago, wasn't he? What would Trump do to keep Ivanka out of jail?
First to fly the 787-9

seb146

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 am

zkojq wrote:
Muller was going after Ivanka a couple of weeks ago, wasn't he? What would Trump do to keep Ivanka out of jail?

Nothing. He barely knows her. She served him coffee once, right? Just a minion. Nothing to see here. As long as the orange one says he is innocent, his base will believe him because he says to believe him and only him, he is honest. That is what they believe. He said it, so it must be true. This is their reasoning.

Ivanka was a coffee girl, Pence was a butler. The orange one did not have any knowledge of either one of them at all in any way. See how innocent it all is?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Aaron747

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:41 pm

kaitak wrote:
This may well be a game changer. The WH has denied it, of course, but if prosecutors can prove this, then it may herald a significant decline in the President's political position.

Even this statement is a stretch - considering abject failures at everything other than confirming judges and getting tax relief for the executive class over the last two years of fighting with his own Congress. Even Tucker Carlson came out this week saying this WH is basically ineffective and POTUS is unable to focus on anything enough to see legislation through.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BestWestern

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Trump has no political ambition. He has an ego that needs constant feeding.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Yes, there will be a lot of blabbering all over the internet and cable news about the latest as to those around Trump - this week re Flynn, Manifort and Cohen facing criminal penalties for their acts, but connecting them to Trump is still very difficult and speculative with no hard evidence.

Trump knows it is near impossible to remove him from office by Impeachment. I doubt there will never be enough Republicans in the Senate to ever convict him (if all D's vote for it still would need about 20 R's to vote for it). The process of Impeachment is very long and difficult as intended by those that initially wrote the Constitution. there is a need for long hearings and for sure Republicans would muddle up the works to cause it to take longer. likely dragging it to late 2019 and into the election year of 2020.

Nixon got pushed to resign as he had to disclose voice tape recordings of him in the WH Oval Office being part of the crimes and cover up. I don't think there are any accessible audio or video recordings, pictures, e-mails, note or memos as to his meetings that are from Trump or connect him directly with Manifort and Cohen and the Russians. Unlike Nixon, he would never resign, even if, as done with Nixon, his successor VP Ford would pardon him. He would use his position as President to battle a 'do nothing Democrat congress', still arrange to fire Mueller and end the investigations, use 'Executive Privilege', the 5th Amendment and rally his blindly loyal supporters to threaten violence if Impeachment proceedings begin.

Our best hope is for some 'smoking gun' document or recording is outed, particular as to Trump's business entities records connecting an actual felony act with the Russians, he has a health problem that can mean removal by the 25th Amendment or die before 2020. The odds of any of that are very long indeed.

wingman

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:00 pm

The second best that can happen here is Trump's reputation being so tarnished that his one and only term becomes a dead certainty. Republicans in Congress that have supported him without question (virtually 100% of them) will also suffer horribly in the next cycle as well they should. They sold their values and any love of country right down the shitter, all for a few thousand dollars in tax cuts. Every other principle this country stands, especially those of the Office, was jettisoned right out the window. Impeachment will never happen, but the sooner we can get past this utter embarrassment of a joker the better for all of us, even the fools that voted for him.

Now, the best thing that can happen is a state-level indictment and prosecution. If the crimes are there and prosecution is warranted then so be it. However, other news of note this past week was about a pending SCOTUS review of our double-jeopardy laws, where Kavanaugh would likely be the deciding vote to overturn decades of legislation allowing for state prosecution of the same crimes that failed (or succeeded) at the federal level. The immediate effect would be to protect Trump from this best case scenario. Are Republicans and their partisan hacks on the Supreme Court so blind to justice that they'd actually let this happen? I bet they are, and I wonder what people like Galaxy Flyer, who so ardently scream for state's rights, would say about it. Not much I bet.

johnboy

Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Mary had a little lamb.

Of course that might be too incendiary for this thread, since half of it has already been deleted by those tireless Mods.
:roll:

Flighty

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 pm

So, this is being portrayed as news of a serious crime between Cohen and Trump.

Problem 1. This isn't news. Here is a news item from August 23, nearly 4 months ago, saying exactly this. It ISN'T A NEWS STORY TODAY.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/08/23/d ... own-pocket

Problem 2. Even if Cohen has pled guilty, it doesn't necessarily mean that what he pled guilty to is a crime. It is not illegal for somebody like Trump to contribute $130,000 to his own campaign. News of that event would not be news of criminal activity, because there is nothing illegal about that (see above comments by Prof Dershowitz). It would be illegal for ME to contribute $130,000 to say Trump or John Edwards, who also ran into this exact problem. But, it is not illegal for Trump or Edwards to self fund their campaigns in any manner they wish.

einsteinboricua

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Oh yea and CNN will go 24 hour crazy.

You mean in the same way that Fox News did with Benghazi?

There's a difference however: this investigation is still unfolding. For Benghazi, I lost track of how many were carried out, all reaching the same conclusion.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

seb146

Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 am

Flighty wrote:
So, this is being portrayed as news of a serious crime between Cohen and Trump.

Problem 1. This isn't news. Here is a news item from August 23, nearly 4 months ago, saying exactly this. It ISN'T A NEWS STORY TODAY.
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/08/23/d ... own-pocket

Problem 2. Even if Cohen has pled guilty, it doesn't necessarily mean that what he pled guilty to is a crime. It is not illegal for somebody like Trump to contribute $130,000 to his own campaign. News of that event would not be news of criminal activity, because there is nothing illegal about that (see above comments by Prof Dershowitz). It would be illegal for ME to contribute $130,000 to say Trump or John Edwards, who also ran into this exact problem. But, it is not illegal for Trump or Edwards to self fund their campaigns in any manner they wish.

Problem 1: Fox? Really?

Problem 2: if someone enters a plea, that means they were charged with a crime. If there was no crime, there would have been no plea because he would not have been charged with anything. He probably plead guilty so he could get a reduced sentence and talk about Russia interfering with our elections and giving millions illegally to the orange one.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, flies like a duck, eats like a duck......

Flighty

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:22 am

Exactly, he probably plead guilty because he was being forced to do so, but so think he wanted to get Trump anyway. I am waiting for clarification about what law was broken. Trump either paying off a lady, or making a large campaign contribution to himself are both quite legal. Yet, that’s the headline. He criminally did something that is legal.

seb146

Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:49 am

Flighty wrote:
Exactly, he probably plead guilty because he was being forced to do so, but so think he wanted to get Trump anyway. I am waiting for clarification about what law was broken. Trump either paying off a lady, or making a large campaign contribution to himself are both quite legal. Yet, that’s the headline. He criminally did something that is legal.

Go back and look at the original charges.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/trump-l ... y-now.html

It could also be argued that Stormy Daniels was bribed. We know she was paid to be quiet.

There is probably a lot of very boring legal proceedings as to why he was arrested. Obviously, Cohen broke the law. he was arrested. He was charged.

https://www.newsweek.com/michael-cohen- ... al-1083902

There were eight counts Cohen was charged with. From the link:

Cohen pleaded guilty to one count of excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate or campaign, one count of unlawful corporate campaign contribution from June 2016 to October 2016, one count of false statements to influence lending and five counts of tax evasion.

Flighty

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:11 am

seb146 wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Go back and look at the original charges.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/12/trump-l ... y-now.html

It could also be argued that Stormy Daniels was bribed. We know she was paid to be quiet.

There is probably a lot of very boring legal proceedings as to why he was arrested. Obviously, Cohen broke the law. he was arrested. He was charged.

https://www.newsweek.com/michael-cohen- ... al-1083902

There were eight counts Cohen was charged with. From the link:

Cohen pleaded guilty to one count of excessive campaign contribution at the request of a candidate or campaign, one count of unlawful corporate campaign contribution from June 2016 to October 2016, one count of false statements to influence lending and five counts of tax evasion.

Yes it is illegal for Cohen to contribute $130,000 to Trump's campaign, although that's effectively not what happened. He was Trump's attorney spending (at issue?) Trump's money to do that.

Here is the top NYT comment tonight. "
calling payments to extortionists illegal is a big stretch; given that any man has a right to protect his reputation by giving in to extortion, Mr. Trump had every right to make the payments. It is immaterial that he denied it, said they were done by Cohen. In fact, Cohen was effectively reimbursed. Even if viewed as campaign related, Trump had a legal right to contribute unlimited amounts to his campaign, because he didn't take public funding. This is an example of a made up crime designed to engender a plea and questionable cooperation. Abuse of power"

seb146

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:27 am

Flighty wrote:
Yes it is illegal for Cohen to contribute $130,000 to Trump's campaign, although that's effectively not what happened. He was Trump's attorney spending (at issue?) Trump's money to do that.

So, it is illegal to do but he did it so we should not care. That is what you are saying.

The point is he plead guilty, was charged and, now, is probably singing like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks to Saturday Night Live for this wonderful quote:

Jost said the retired U.S. Marine Corps general was leaving "because Kelly requires extensive surgery to remove his palm from his face."

I can only imagine that applies to a lot of current and former WH staffers ... not to mention quite a few of the Republican leadership!

As I've said before, if you created a novel with half of what has gone on over the past 2-3 years, it would have been rejected as absurd. There is literally no depth to which this man (DT) will not sink and I can't help wondering if there's a part of Trump which just wants to get this whole s**tshow over with, and withdraw from office without getting indicted or imprisoned.

Am I reading to much into the expected appointment of Nick Ayres as CoS; does it suggest that the ground is being prepared for Mike Pence ... when the time comes. Ayres seems to have been a highly reputable CoS for Pence and the two men seemed to have had a good relationship. That pre-supposes of course that NA and DT can form a good working relationship, but at this stage, the emphasis may be on preparing a decent withdrawal strategy for the Boss ...

seb146

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 pm

kaitak wrote:
Thanks to Saturday Night Live for this wonderful quote:

Jost said the retired U.S. Marine Corps general was leaving "because Kelly requires extensive surgery to remove his palm from his face."

I can only imagine that applies to a lot of current and former WH staffers ... not to mention quite a few of the Republican leadership!

As I've said before, if you created a novel with half of what has gone on over the past 2-3 years, it would have been rejected as absurd. There is literally no depth to which this man (DT) will not sink and I can't help wondering if there's a part of Trump which just wants to get this whole s**tshow over with, and withdraw from office without getting indicted or imprisoned.

Am I reading to much into the expected appointment of Nick Ayres as CoS; does it suggest that the ground is being prepared for Mike Pence ... when the time comes. Ayres seems to have been a highly reputable CoS for Pence and the two men seemed to have had a good relationship. That pre-supposes of course that NA and DT can form a good working relationship, but at this stage, the emphasis may be on preparing a decent withdrawal strategy for the Boss ...

https://www.metro.us/news/the-big-stori ... estigation
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... id-of.html

Pence may be involved as well. I just hope all of this does not come down until January. Pence will be out, the orange one will be out, so we would finally get a Democrat in the White House. And, bonus, no need for impeachment proceedings if Pence and the orange one resign!

NIKV69

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:24 pm

seb146 wrote:
:

Pence may be involved as well. I just hope all of this does not come down until January. Pence will be out, the orange one will be out, so we would finally get a Democrat in the White House. And, bonus, no need for impeachment proceedings if Pence and the orange one resign!

Unfortunately you will have to win the 2020 election to achieve your dream of a Dem in the WH. Just some advice and run Biden and not that sexual predator supporter Harris.
I am the Googlizer!!!

seb146

Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
:

Unfortunately you will have to win the 2020 election to achieve your dream of a Dem in the WH. Just some advice and run Biden and not that sexual predator supporter Harris.

Thanks for telling Democrats how to run their party. Sexual predator? Seriously? You telling us not to run a sexual predator supporter while you praise an actual sexual predator. #sad You all go hard right, Cory Booker is the answer and winner.

ER757

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
:

Thanks for telling Democrats how to run their party. Sexual predator? Seriously? You telling us not to run a sexual predator supporter while you praise an actual sexual predator. #sad You all go hard right, Cory Booker is the answer and winner.

Nope - look north my Oregonian friend, not east. Jay Inslee - he's already formed a PAC to put funds aside for his run. I guarantee he'll throw his hat in the ring in the next six months

NIKV69

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:32 pm

seb146 wrote:
You all go hard right, Cory Booker is the answer and winner.

Actually Trump is not hard right look at him over the years he is a moderate but hey go right ahead and run Booker. I would love another 4 years of trump. Booker can never carry OH or FL. Biden can.

I swear the DNC is going to take a winnable election and blow it all because some reason they won't rally around Biden and keep going with the fringe candidates.
I am the Googlizer!!!

DeltaMD90

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I swear the DNC is going to take a winnable election and blow it

Nah, that would never happen :roll:

I'd be down for Biden. I was pretty against the "old guard" but after seeing how crazy some of the new entrants are... Ugh. We need a fresh, new moderate

Don't know enough about Booker, he seems a bit overly dramatic (his whole Spartacus line) but I'm not gonna throw him out based only on that. He said something else a while back that was just stupid, I can't remember, but it was an obvious play to the far left that made no sense. Don't want any of that

seb146

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:41 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
You all go hard right, Cory Booker is the answer and winner.

Actually Trump is not hard right look at him over the years he is a moderate but hey go right ahead and run Booker. I would love another 4 years of trump. Booker can never carry OH or FL. Biden can.

I swear the DNC is going to take a winnable election and blow it all because some reason they won't rally around Biden and keep going with the fringe candidates.

Individual #1 praises white supremacists, hates non-whites, thinks he is god, his followers think he is the greatest businessman. He has destroyed this country. And he got help from Russia to do it. And people like you praise him for it.

Booker, Harris, Inslee, Sherrod Brown, Beto, Biden, Bernie.... LITERALLY ANYONE will win against individual #1. He is so toxic, I could win against him. I just have to use the right small, simple words to convince people in flyover states.

lugie

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:14 am

ltbewr wrote:
Yes, there will be a lot of blabbering all over the internet and cable news about the latest as to those around Trump - this week re Flynn, Manifort and Cohen facing criminal penalties for their acts, but connecting them to Trump is still very difficult and speculative with no hard evidence.

Trump knows it is near impossible to remove him from office by Impeachment. I doubt there will never be enough Republicans in the Senate to ever convict him (if all D's vote for it still would need about 20 R's to vote for it). The process of Impeachment is very long and difficult as intended by those that initially wrote the Constitution. there is a need for long hearings and for sure Republicans would muddle up the works to cause it to take longer. likely dragging it to late 2019 and into the election year of 2020.

Nixon got pushed to resign as he had to disclose voice tape recordings of him in the WH Oval Office being part of the crimes and cover up. I don't think there are any accessible audio or video recordings, pictures, e-mails, note or memos as to his meetings that are from Trump or connect him directly with Manifort and Cohen and the Russians. Unlike Nixon, he would never resign, even if, as done with Nixon, his successor VP Ford would pardon him. He would use his position as President to battle a 'do nothing Democrat congress', still arrange to fire Mueller and end the investigations, use 'Executive Privilege', the 5th Amendment and rally his blindly loyal supporters to threaten violence if Impeachment proceedings begin.

Our best hope is for some 'smoking gun' document or recording is outed, particular as to Trump's business entities records connecting an actual felony act with the Russians, he has a health problem that can mean removal by the 25th Amendment or die before 2020. The odds of any of that are very long indeed.

I've had a discussion about this with one of my professors and he made a good point that I thought sounded pretty logical:

Pretty much he said that if something actually damning was to come out in the near future, he would expect Republicans to drop Trump as fast as possible. If the investigation found something on Trump, it should happen rather soon as Mueller has been moving in on him at a pretty good pace as of lately. According to him, in this scenario Republicans would be best advised to support an impeachment vote if it occurs any time within the next roughly 6 months from now. That would leave them with another one and a half year of President Pence, providing them with two tactical advantages:

a) The establishment could probably work better with him than Trump anyway

b) 18 months is a long time in today's news cycle, so the immediate backlash would have blown over by election day 2020. In fact, they could even paint themselves as a party that holds its members accountable to high standards (even though we all know that's a lie)

If a damning indictment (and/or a Republican reaction to it) continues to draw out beyond this critical 6-month time frame, it would put the entire GOP under extreme pressure:

If they refuse to impeach a president who is proven to have broken the law, the electoral backlash in 2020 could be devastating (activating large parts of the population, possibly the vast majority except for hard-core Trump loyalists who make up maybe 20-25% of the electorate).

If they see themselves forced to impeach him during election year, they would put their own electoral base in turmoil while at the same time still not having any chances to win over Democrats (and probably not even independents, if Dems manage to brand themselves as "we told you from the beginning" on that issue)

Interesting times ahead...
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

casinterest

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:38 pm

Cohen is going to jail. This witch hunt is finding some wood to burn.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Where ever you go, there you are.

D L X

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:01 pm

Does not look like Individual One is going to avoid jail time himself.

CitizenJustin

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:09 pm

3 years for Cohen.

casinterest

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Well now AMI ( National Enquirer) is admitting to taking payments to suppress a news story.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/media/am ... index.html

They are getting immunity for testimony. Going to be fun to see what Cohen and AMI did.

BN747

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Now Hannity is busy deleting 100s of tweets related to Cohen (see RawStory) but he can't delete that warm fuzzy photo of him with his chummy buddy ex-lawyer, Cohen.

Why do scoundrels try to dive under ground and erase their tracks when 'a friend' becomes toxic?

Ask Hannity today, '...so Sean, Michael Cohen, your lawyer,...'
Hannity: "who? Never hoid of 'em"

Speaking of getting 'ghosted'...VTK? Where are you?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

DeltaMD90

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:50 am

Were the crimes Cohen did brought to light by my two favorite people (Stormy Daniels and Avenatti) or was this somewhat known/would've been found out without them? Was campaign finance their original goal and not some BS about "justice" for Stormy or something?

I ask because while I think they are both huge attention seekers, annoying, and distractions from real issues, I wanna give credit where it's due and admit when I'm wrong, when warranted.

I have a hunch it was publicity and trolling and they accidentally stumbled into campaign finance violations... so good job? I find it more a coincidence than a stroke of genius, especially considering how they acted in other issues

BN747 wrote:
Now Hannity is busy deleting 100s of tweets related to Cohen (see RawStory) but he can't delete that warm fuzzy photo of him with his chummy buddy ex-lawyer, Cohen.

Besides being associated/kinda represented by him, is Hannity possibly tied up in anything besides being intentionally vague and biased regarding any coverage of Cohen? Not that I'm defending Hannity, just wondering if there is more to this than pretending not to know the guy as the bus drives over him

And when will these famous people learn that anytime they delete tweets it gets saved and giant flashing lights start flashing around said tweets?

AA747123

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:03 am

I really dont think Cohen has any credibility blaming this on Trump. If Trump told him to jump off a cliff would he? Obviously NO. So trying to blame any of this on Trump for two alleged affairs is nonsense. Trump did nothing wrong. Time to move on.

jordanh

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 am

AA747123 wrote:
I really dont think Cohen has any credibility blaming this on Trump. If Trump told him to jump off a cliff would he? Obviously NO. So trying to blame any of this on Trump for two alleged affairs is nonsense. Trump did nothing wrong. Time to move on.

Would he not "jump a cliff"? Cohen once said he "would take a bullet" for Trump.

Maybe it's time for someone else to move on... out of your White House...

Aaron747

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:52 am

AA747123 wrote:

Credibility is immaterial - they got EVERYTHING - his flash memory, PCs, reams of documents etc. All they had to do was ask questions about what facts bore out. And you also reek of ignorance of how the world works - some wealthy people hire lawyers to keep them out of trouble on devious matters. Only regular people depend on lawyers for counsel.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

salttee

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:17 am

Closely related to this story comes the fact that David Pecker and the America Media company have also caved in and agreed to become state witnesses in affairs related to Trump's manipulation and cover up of news that affected his political campaign in 2006. The information from Pecker's National Enquirer may be quite voluminous. It may lead in new directions we haven't even heard about so far.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/ ... mp-1061792

jordanh

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:06 am

salttee wrote:
Closely related to this story comes the fact that David Pecker and the America Media company have also caved in and agreed to become state witnesses in affairs related to Trump's manipulation and cover up of news that affected his political campaign in 2006. The information from Pecker's National Enquirer may be quite voluminous. It may lead in new directions we haven't even heard about so far.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/ ... mp-1061792

Well, someone here already suggested it was "time to move on". I guess we will be moving on to all the evidence coming from Pecker and the Enquirer now.

;)

ltbewr

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:54 am

Cohen let greed and money take over from common sense and ethics. He sold his soul to the devil that is Donald Trump, doing illegal and unethical 'fixing' for Trump for income to keep up his family's lifestyle as other investments including in NYC Taxi Medallions crashed in value. Cohen is in deep with Russian and other criminal mobsters, so was compromised already. Cohen, like Manifort, got involved with supporting Trump and Republicans to hopefully gain financially, to get out of their debts from the connections with him and the party, but all it did was ruin them.

The only good thing from Cohen will be repenting for his sins by the documents, records and recordings of him with Trump, Trump associates and those mob friends of his that ended up with Mueller and other investigators. I wish he was getting 36 years instead of 36 months in jail for his work with helping Trump getting elected and covering up Trump's crimes. He has to give up a good part of his assets (close to $2 Million) in fines, penalties and restitution. For people like Cohen, taking their money, making them impoverished, is the real justice.

Francoflier

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Cohen let greed and money take over from common sense and ethics.

You're assuming Cohen had any common sense and ethics to start with...

We've all heard the tape of him threatening a journalist doing his job. He's no better than a mafia goon.
Despite him pretending to be a lamb corrupted by DT, he's always been like that. The fact that he ended up working for Trump is no coincidence, they are just the kind of people who would associate to do the crap they do. Trump has always been doing shady business, and Cohen has known that since the moment they met. A match made in hell, and they deserve each other.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

casinterest

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 pm

DeltaMD90 wrote:
Were the crimes Cohen did brought to light by my two favorite people (Stormy Daniels and Avenatti) or was this somewhat known/would've been found out without them? Was campaign finance their original goal and not some BS about "justice" for Stormy or something?

I ask because while I think they are both huge attention seekers, annoying, and distractions from real issues, I wanna give credit where it's due and admit when I'm wrong, when warranted.

I have a hunch it was publicity and trolling and they accidentally stumbled into campaign finance violations... so good job? I find it more a coincidence than a stroke of genius, especially considering how they acted in other issues

BN747 wrote:

Besides being associated/kinda represented by him, is Hannity possibly tied up in anything besides being intentionally vague and biased regarding any coverage of Cohen? Not that I'm defending Hannity, just wondering if there is more to this than pretending not to know the guy as the bus drives over him

And when will these famous people learn that anytime they delete tweets it gets saved and giant flashing lights start flashing around said tweets?

Really?

You already forgot about the Director of National Intelligence releasing a report about the Russians interfering in the elections? You forgot about the Steele dossier? You forget that Trump and Cohen have massive real estate dealings involving Russia?

There is a lot more to this than is currently out there. Otherwise, why would Sean Hannity ,another Cohen client, be deleting texts as fast as possible?

jordanh

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:36 pm

casinterest wrote:
There is a lot more to this than is currently out there. Otherwise, why would Sean Hannity ,another Cohen client, be deleting texts as fast as possible?

Maybe he finally discovered his iPhone's memory was too full?

;)

casinterest

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:12 pm

jordanh wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Maybe he finally discovered his iPhone's memory was too full?

;)

Twitter doesn't live on a phone.

AA747123

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Trump NEVER directed Cohen to break the law. If it was illegal then he should not have done it. The media really needs to lay off Trump. He has been attacked and harassed more than any other president ever!

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-never-aske ... mBm324It7M

casinterest

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 pm

AA747123 wrote:
Trump NEVER directed Cohen to break the law. If it was illegal then he should not have done it. The media really needs to lay off Trump. He has been attacked and harassed more than any other president ever!

So how exactly do you think it is legal pay off a porn star that you slept with and keep her quiet while using a LLC to funnel the money, so no one knows where your money went, while a candidate for office, and why did you reimburse the lawyer for it? If the answer is to make sure you don't lose the election, that is breaking the law.

Why was it so important in August of 2016 to make the payment?
Would Trump have directed the payment had it not been necessary as a part of the campaign?
Why was Cohen made chair of RNC finance afterwards?
Why was Cohen making hush payments?

D L X

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:05 pm

AA747123 wrote:

Because he’s DUMBER than any president ever. Why would you parrot such a dumb man?

If you order your hitman to hit someone, you cannot hide behind “I didn’t order him to break a law.” The thing you asked him to do was illegal, and you’re a co-conspirator over his acts when he follows your directive.

That’s law.

MaverickM11

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 pm

D L X wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

Because he’s DUMBER than any president ever. Why would you parrot such a dumb man?

If you order your hitman to hit someone, you cannot hide behind “I didn’t order him to break a law.” The thing you asked him to do was illegal, and you’re a co-conspirator over his acts when he follows your directive.

That’s law.

Just days after Tillerson said Trump was constantly asking to do illegal things... What are the odds??
I don't take responsibility at all

A3801000

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm

AA747123 wrote:

Probably because he is the most criminal president ever.

'Trump inauguration spending under investigation'

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/ ... tapper.cnn

'A source confirmed to NBC News that Trump was the "other member of the campaign" present when Michael Cohen and David Pecker agreed to silence women.'

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... ms-n947536

In other news: This November seen the biggest budget deficit ever: 205 billion in just this one month.

#SoMuchWinning

DeltaMD90

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:50 am

casinterest wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

BN747 wrote:

Really?

You already forgot about the Director of National Intelligence releasing a report about the Russians interfering in the elections? You forgot about the Steele dossier? You forget that Trump and Cohen have massive real estate dealings involving Russia?

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with Stormy Daniels or Sean Hannity (besides the last part that really doesn't tie Hannity into any of this.) Reread my post again. No where did I ask if there is anything else they have on Trump or Cohen. Really confused

BN747

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:10 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
DeltaMD90 wrote:

Really?

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with Stormy Daniels or Sean Hannity (besides the last part that really doesn't tie Hannity into any of this.) Reread my post again. No where did I ask if there is anything else they have on Trump or Cohen. Really confused

what is there to get? Hannity had no problem bragging about who he knows etc, there's even a cozy photo of Hannity & Cohen cheezing a smile all over the net...I was just pointing out what frauds do when the shit the brag about has a sudden change in value and goes toxic.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

seb146

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:26 am

DeltaMD90 wrote:

Let's compare the two, shall we?

Stormy: was bribed to stay quiet during a campaign
Hannity: Besties with individual #1 AND besties with the convicted felon lawyer of individual #1

How in the hell are they even the same?

Flighty

Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:57 pm

I am still confused. So Trump told his lawyer, who is exactly the person to handle this sort of thing, that he wants to bribe a lady to stay quiet. And they did that. What is the problem again? I don't see anything illegal. People are trying to say that paying people for something you want is illegal. Then I am a victim too! Or that a presidential candidate cannot pay people off. Except the fact that he can. I think the real crime here - and yes, it is a crime - is that Donald lied about seeing a hooker. He lied by not submitting the payment as a campaign expenditure. I guess. Isn't that definition of campaign expenditure a bit wacky? I think Donald could have handled seeing the prostitute a little bit better. But, this is so far below the seriousness of even the Lewinsky scandal that they're worlds apart.

I think Trump lawyer actively searched for a sword to fall on - maybe he bought that sword - just as a way to get back at Trump. His glee at declaring "I planned my crimes with Donald" is obvious, and is the whole point. None of this rises to any level. There just aren't central criminal events here.

What we have here is a personal dispute, a blood feud, between certain New Yorkers and some associated groups of friends in DC and LA. There is a serious disagreement socially and that's it. What I am thankful is we are not waging a "war" on innocent foreign people because the high tier socialites of the US are having a dispute. We have done that more than once, where these wealthy demons start waging mass murder. They've done it before and think nothing of it.