Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United Airline
Topic Author

Rotary International VS Lions International. Which club is better/more prestigious/shall I join?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 am

I run my own businesses. Which one shall I join?

Which one is more prestigious/better?

TSS

Re: Rotary International VS Lions International. Which club is better/more prestigious/shall I join?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 am

First off, I had no idea either one was still around. As for prestige, I think Rotary was bigger, but that might vary from town to town. In one place Rotary might be the desirable one and Lions the "also rans" but in the next town over the situation is reversed.

Surely one or both have meetings where prospective members are allowed in. Go and ask questions like:
What are the dues?
Frequency and duration of meetings as well as special event (parades, holiday programs, etc.) obligations for members?
Which charities does the local chapter support?
What, if any, are the rules on networking and/or doing business with fellow members, particularly during or at club events?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

frmrCapCadet

Re: Rotary International VS Lions International. Which club is better/more prestigious/shall I join?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Former Rotarian. It was in days of old it was the WASP establishment for men (women not allowed) at the local level. The larger clubs are surviving, but I hear the smaller clubs are not. Join the one that looks like the most fun. Prestige - not so much.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Lions is bigger with more members. Rotary has a slightly longer history.

bagoldex

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:15 pm

I don't think there's any prestige or even much upside associated with either organization. If anything, I could see it as being a liability as both organizations are things of the past and in decline. You might end up being viewed as a relic yourself.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I am surprised to hear this since many Rotarians/Lions are very proud of themselves and we still look highly of them. And many super rich/successful people are members.

wingman

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Honestly, I'd go with Angie's List.

bagoldex

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 pm

United Airline wrote:
I am surprised to hear this since many Rotarians/Lions are very proud of themselves and we still look highly of them. And many super rich/successful people are members.

What planet is that on?

dmg626

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 pm

bagoldex wrote:
I don't think there's any prestige or even much upside associated with either organization. If anything, I could see it as being a liability as both organizations are things of the past and in decline. You might end up being viewed as a relic yourself.

Many fraternal/social organizations seem on the decline these days , but I wouldn’t think of it as a liability to be a member of an organization that promotes a common good amongst its members

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:29 pm

United Airline wrote:
I run my own businesses. Which one shall I join?

Which one is more prestigious/better?

Become a Mason, they have a secret handshake!

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:50 am

bagoldex wrote:
United Airline wrote:

What planet is that on?

In many places at least Hong Kong many top shots are members not to be mention governors/directors etc.

Perhaps these clubs are in decline but I guess they will still be around.

zkojq

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am

Rotary is better in my opinion. Much more prestigious.
First to fly the 787-9

Flighty

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:58 am

dmg626 wrote:
bagoldex wrote:

Many fraternal/social organizations seem on the decline these days , but I wouldn’t think of it as a liability to be a member of an organization that promotes a common good amongst its members

In some ways it is sad that so much of this history is being lost. These organizations must have had great moments of triumph. But upkeep is a constant burden. Finding fresh young members is a constant and unwinnable situation. Scottish rite, elks, many others. There were thousands and thousands of these organizations. As new things are created, some old things must fade.

TSS

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 am

Flighty wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

In some ways it is sad that so much of this history is being lost. These organizations must have had great moments of triumph. But upkeep is a constant burden. Finding fresh young members is a constant and unwinnable situation. Scottish rite, elks, many others. There were thousands and thousands of these organizations. As new things are created, some old things must fade.

There are lots of YouTube videos of urban explorers poking around in abandoned Masonic lodges, with many of the buildings still being in quite good shape and very ornately decorated. I don't know if the individual lodges own(ed) their own buildings or if they're all owned by the Masons centrally, but the larger ones have theaters and banquet spaces that could be easily refurbished by an entrepreneur.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BestWestern

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:52 am

Like Opus Dei, the masons are seen as an elitist organisation linked to religion and oppression of other religions or religious belief.

Rotary and Lions are seen as more generous and open minded.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

slider

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Don't forget Kiwanis!

Civic organizations have great value, but find the one that's best for you, the better fit, and if necessary from a professional standpoint, one that accommodates your involvement.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm

What about Zonta and Toastmasters?

cgnnrw

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Who are the guy's with the Fez hats and drive those tiny cars?
A330 man.

trpmb6

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 pm

cgnnrw wrote:
Who are the guy's with the Fez hats and drive those tiny cars?

The Shriners

trpmb6

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 pm

United Airline wrote:
What about Zonta and Toastmasters?

Based on the post above this one, I think you should go with Shriners. They do tons of cool stuff for kids.

sccutler

Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 am

As a long-term number of Rotary, I have my biases, but in reality, you should investigate the clubs in the area where you were considering joining. Attend a few meetings, get to know some people, and see what kind of work they are doing.

I can tell you for a fact that there is nothing "obsolete" about Rotary; Rotary clubs around the world are doing a lot of good. What I especially like about Rotary (and you can certainly say this about Lions, as well) is that, when you make a donation to a Rotary club, you can be certain that virtually all the money will go to doing the good, because the costs of administration are minimal. Nearly everything Rotary does is done by other Rotarians on an all volunteer basis, and solely for the good of the communities they serve.

If you're looking to join a service organization for "prestige," save it; you'll enjoy being a part of the amazing and good things they do way more than any prestige, anyway.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

frmrCapCadet

Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:09 pm

sccutler wrote:
As a long-term number of Rotary, I have my biases, but in reality, you should investigate the clubs in the area where you were considering joining. Attend a few meetings, get to know some people, and see what kind of work they are doing.

I can tell you for a fact that there is nothing "obsolete" about Rotary; Rotary clubs around the world are doing a lot of good. What I especially like about Rotary (and you can certainly say this about Lions, as well) is that, when you make a donation to a Rotary club, you can be certain that virtually all the money will go to doing the good, because the costs of administration are minimal. Nearly everything Rotary does is done by other Rotarians on an all volunteer basis, and solely for the good of the communities they serve.

If you're looking to join a service organization for "prestige," save it; you'll enjoy being a part of the amazing and good things they do way more than any prestige, anyway.

:checkmark:

Decades ago a Rotary international president led an effort to make polio disappear. Rotary raised what at the time was an incredible amount of money. It turned out to be an even bigger job than the experts advised. Rotary did succeed in making polio rare, but making it disappear every where in the world is happening more slowly. The Gates foundation and other have joined in the effort. It was one of the things that was really exciting to be part of.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)