Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Sports fan gear

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:57 pm

If you saw me at the Toyota dealership last night, or at the Target in Ridgedale, or Byerly's, then you asked yourself, who is that dude whose Detroit Lions hat is so very well coordinated with that blue-and-purple plaid shirt?

(It was me; see. I bought the hat last week on free-shipping-on-all-orders day because I had to do SOMETHING pro-Detroit, since you all failed to properly revere the architectural awesomeness of the Detroit Times Building on my other thread.)

It occurred to me, I do not have very much sports paraphernalia. Besides the Detroit hat, I also have a Patriots SuperBowl Champions T-shirt, a Boston Bruins keychain, and an Edmonton Oilers flag.

Though I am from Boston, I somehow do not have any Red Sox stuff. :boggled:

What do you have?*

* besides an obligation to revere & rebuild the Detroit Times Building?

#albertkahnrules
Pancakes are delicious.

trpmb6

Re: Sports fan gear

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Your choice in teams befuddles me, and is quite atrocious if I'm being honest.

St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Blues is what I own. I have a fairly good collection of autographs from both teams. Working on collecting baseball's autographed by each Cardinal HOF (So far have the ones most important to me). I have several jerseys from both teams, both autographed and ones for wearing. I have a signed hockey stick. I have a Blues flag I fly during the winter. I also have a US Men's Soccer jersey I wear when I play soccer. I have an Everton jersey as well. Think that's about it.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:31 pm

I don't have much sports paraphernalia. The ones I do have is exclusively focused on Formula One, like my autographed Sauber-Petronas team cap from 2004 signed by Giancarlo Fisichella & Felipe Massa & a Honda Racing brochure signed by last year's Indy 500 winner Takuma Sato.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

910A

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I would be impressed if your Patriots Super Bowl t-shirt came from the 2008 game...The ones the NFL started to sell before the game was over..

910A

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Typo, computer issues this morning..

fr8mech

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:51 pm

The sum total of apparel that supports any sports organizations is 4. One hooded sweatshirt supporting the UofL Cardinals (which I am currently wearing, as I'm on my way to the Y) and one hooded sweatshirt, the UK (University of Kentucky, not the United Kingdom) Wildcats, and ditto for a pair of polos.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

vikkyvik

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Airstud wrote:
Though I am from Boston, I somehow do not have any Red Sox stuff.

:mad: :shakehead:

I have a few Red Sox shirts, a few Pats shirts, and a few USC Trojans shirts.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seb146

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 pm

I have various hats, sweaters, and hoodies from the Vancouver Canucks, a couple of hats from the Tampa Bay Bucs, and two Oregon Ducks football jerseys. I also have an official Dog River table hockey sweater and a football (soccer) jersey from the Mexican national team from years ago and from Monterrey from a few years ago, as well.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

trpmb6

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Aww.. @2122M they deleted my broncos trash talk :(

I guess they don't see our rivalry the way we do.

2122M

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

All good! I saw it and responded. Fuming about how your Chiefs bailed the Broncos out by beating the Ravens in overly dramatic fashion only to allow the Broncos to self-destruct instead with the obligatory admission that Mahomes is a God amongst mere mortals.

trpmb6

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 pm

2122M wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

All good! I saw it and responded. Fuming about how your Chiefs bailed the Broncos out by beating the Ravens in overly dramatic fashion only to allow the Broncos to self-destruct instead with the obligatory admission that Mahomes is a God amongst mere mortals.

Indeed, it's ok, Andy Reid is going to blow this like he always does in the first round anyways.

LittleFokker

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 pm

I think there should be a rule that if one buys a sports team shirt/hat that highlights a specific accomplishment, then it should be the highest accomplishment of that season.

The year after the Saints won their Super Bowl, I saw a fan wearing a shirt boasting how they were division champs that year. Well done, jackass.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

trpmb6

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 pm

LittleFokker wrote:

The year after the Saints won their Super Bowl, I saw a fan wearing a shirt boasting how they were division champs that year. Well done, jackass.

Seems like an odd thing to be pedantic about. Both shirts are factually true.

Cadet985

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:09 pm

The only major PHL team I don’t follow is the Sixers. I have a bunch of Eagles jerseys (mostly inherited) and enough Eagles t-shirts and hoodies to clothe a small army, not to mention my late uncle’s favorite Eagles coat and 4-6 caps. Phillies, I have a hoodie, a few t-shirts, a couple jerseys and some caps. The Flyers, I have a jersey and a hoodie.

Marc

UltimateDelta

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:37 pm

I have probably a dozen Utah State shirts, a couple of Nebraska shirts (I grew up in Nebraska, so Huskers=life when there aren't any local pro sports), one for Creighton basketball, and an official UCF football National Champions shirt from last season. I've never really cared about pro sports aside from being mildly interested in the Royals when they were actually good a few years ago, so it's pretty much all college teams for me.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ER757

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:02 am

I have far too much - Blackhawks, Bulls, White Sox, Bears, Seahawks, Mariners, even an Arizona Cardinals NFC champions T-shirt (how'd that get in there?).
T-shirts, hats, sweatshirts and a jacket thrown in for good measure.
Lots of the t-shirt are really old (Bulls NBA champions from the first three-peat in the early 90's for example). I don't wear them that often so they last forever
It's a sickness, I know

LittleFokker

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:38 am

trpmb6 wrote:
Seems like an odd thing to be pedantic about. Both shirts are factually true.

Non-Av is basically bitching, fighting, and pedantry. I'm just going with the flow.

BartSimpson

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 am

LittleFokker wrote:
I think there should be a rule that if one buys a sports team shirt/hat that highlights a specific accomplishment, then it should be the highest accomplishment of that season.

Maybe he bought it between the two wins and didn't want to waste more money?

I own only one fan shirt - a South African Springboks rugby shirt. I use it when playing badminton.

The one thing I can't understand is why people pay lots of money for shirts with sponsors logos on it. They basically pay money to advertise a company whereas others are getting paid for the same job...

cjg225

Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm

A disturbingly high percentage of my clothes are in some way bearing the name or logo of the Penn State Nittany Lions. And even in the percentage of clothes that do not, a significant percentage of that remainder is navy blue.

I almost always am wearing *something* Penn State.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

T18

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:28 pm

I have a good bunch of St Louis Cards TV shirts, a STL ball cap as well as one for my College team (MTSU) oddly no football (both kinds) gear for a team I root for. I'd like to get some more but name is the mark up crazy on that stuff.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

trpmb6

Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 pm

T18 wrote:
I have a good bunch of St Louis Cards TV shirts, a STL ball cap as well as one for my College team (MTSU) oddly no football (both kinds) gear for a team I root for. I'd like to get some more but name is the mark up crazy on that stuff.

No racing gear?

T18

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 am

trpmb6 wrote:
T18 wrote:

No racing gear?

Not really, I have a Porsche hat that I like to wear to the track and a few T-shirts I picked up thru SCCA but most of them are on the small side. I have tons of memorabilia like die-casts around the home but not much clothing.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

B777LRF

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:48 am

Gulf baseball cap, signed by Tom Kristensen, Jacques Villeneuve and HRH Prince Joachim to Denmark, at the 2018 Copenhagen Historical Grand Prix
ING Renault F1 cap, signed by Fernando Alonso (also a Le Mans winner)
Official Le Mans 2012/14/16/18 t-shirts, each signed by all Danish drivers participating (several of them Le Mans winners)
Mercedes Petrobras polo shirt, signed by Michael Schumacher at the Bahrain GP in '08
Porsche baseball cap, signed by Mark Webber at the 2014 Le Mans (which he came close to winning)
Toyota Gazoo Racing Le Mans shell jacket, 2014 edition, signed by Sebastien Buemi
Red Bull F1 racing shell jacket, 2012 and 2014 editions. 2012 edition signed by Sebastian Vettel, 2014 by Daniel Ricciardo
Alfa Romeo DTM shirt, 1995 edition, signed by Jason Watt. Mercedes-Benz DTM 1995 t-shirt, signed by Jan Magnussen. Both from the Avus race in Berlin.
Alfa Romeo 155 DTM, 1995 edition, left rear tire. Used for qualifying at Nurburgring by Jason Watt

You might have noticed a common trait :)

PS
No, none of the above is for sale and never will be.
Signature. You just read one.

Flanker7

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Various Rugby shirts of the mighty All Blacks from the world cup. One Aussie and Springbok world cup shirt. Chicago Cubs world series shirt and a Edmonton Oilers T shirt. I think that's it.
Flying blue only if possible

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:51 am

Flanker7 wrote:
Edmonton Oilers

Correct.
Pancakes are delicious.

johns624

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:15 pm

The correct answer for what sports team ballcap to wear is never the Detroit Lions.

LittleFokker

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 pm

johns624 wrote:
The correct answer for what sports team ballcap to wear is never the Detroit Lions.

To be fair, I want to say it was the game against the Patriots this year, coach Matt Patricia was wearing some new alternate Lions logo hat that I got to be honest, was pretty sweet. I'm not a Lions fan, but I was tempted to just order that hat. In fact, after a quick internet search, I think it was this one:

https://www.fanatics.com/Detroit_Lions_ ... gJYSfD_BwE

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 am

johns624 wrote:

See, my Detroit hat isn't a ballcap.

(You heard me.)
Pancakes are delicious.

johns624

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:51 am

The Lions are the biggest losers of all time. They haven't won a championship since 1957, two years before I was born.

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:32 am

As you all surely know, when my Detroit hat arrived in the mail a few weeks ago it came with a coupon good for 20% off my next $50 order from fanatics.com (which wasn't the website I was on when I ordered the hat :boggled: ) plus free shipping. Coupon was to expire at midnight Eastern time on 12/31/2018.

Well I know how coupons work; they're meant to get you to spend money that you totally weren't going to.

So a while ago I logged on to fanatics.com and, in consideration of the impending NFL playoffs, bought this here Patriots tee, see; and, since you people - I really just cannot stress this enough - have not yet gotten Albert Kahn's Detroit Times Building rebuilt - I proved my devotion to The D by buying this here T-shirt,

They had some Bruins stuff but I don't look as good in the Bruins' colors.

And Detroit's where the Guardian Building is.

(Get architecturally woke, people.)
Pancakes are delicious.

cpd

Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:14 am

B777LRF wrote:
Gulf baseball cap, signed by Tom Kristensen, Jacques Villeneuve and HRH Prince Joachim to Denmark, at the 2018 Copenhagen Historical Grand Prix
ING Renault F1 cap, signed by Fernando Alonso (also a Le Mans winner)
Official Le Mans 2012/14/16/18 t-shirts, each signed by all Danish drivers participating (several of them Le Mans winners)
Mercedes Petrobras polo shirt, signed by Michael Schumacher at the Bahrain GP in '08
Porsche baseball cap, signed by Mark Webber at the 2014 Le Mans (which he came close to winning)
Toyota Gazoo Racing Le Mans shell jacket, 2014 edition, signed by Sebastien Buemi
Red Bull F1 racing shell jacket, 2012 and 2014 editions. 2012 edition signed by Sebastian Vettel, 2014 by Daniel Ricciardo
Alfa Romeo DTM shirt, 1995 edition, signed by Jason Watt. Mercedes-Benz DTM 1995 t-shirt, signed by Jan Magnussen. Both from the Avus race in Berlin.
Alfa Romeo 155 DTM, 1995 edition, left rear tire. Used for qualifying at Nurburgring by Jason Watt

You might have noticed a common trait :)

PS
No, none of the above is for sale and never will be.

You just need a 155 V6 Ti to go with the tyre and shirt. ;)

I don't have a lot of sports-fan gear. Just this:

Second photo was when it was brand new - just built about 5 minutes before that photo was taken. We took it down to the forecourt of Customs House in Sydney to get some promo shots of it and caused quite a stir. I've never seen that many people stop to look at a bicycle.

It was a spare frameset that came with the entire aero bar kit and different aerobar extensions. The whole lot was originally in Girona, Spain - then made its way through Boulder in the USA before getting to me in Sydney. You can guess who I got it from.

I also managed to get hold of spare Magura RT8 brakes for it. After the second photo was taken, I put some proper tyres on it to go on those wheels. I also eventually got the correct Rotor 3D Aero crankset to go on it, then swapped out the temporary 10 speed Ultegra Di2 for 11 speed Di2. In practice, the 65mm deep wheels weren't good in gusty conditions, so I replaced the front one with a 50mm which behaved better. I also did base bar shifting a bit better than the original team bikes, coming up with a fairly stealthy button arrangement on each side of the base bar. I would like to get the correct Mavic wheels to go on it eventually. The bidon cage and bidon seen on it are only for display, in practice that bottle if it has water in it will go launching out of the bidon cage if you go quickly over a bump. I got them only because they were authentic. The original team had the same dramas.

Original bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72McGijVEfo

That one has old Dura Ace 10 speed Di2 (terrible wire connections) and Rotor Q Rings, something I don't get along with at all. The Fizik saddle likewise, hence why I an ISM Adamo TT.

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:20 pm

So far this year I have learned that when I am soused, I like to let the Internet know that I made use of a coupon.
Pancakes are delicious.

IH8BY

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:31 pm

I have quite a few rugby shirts, mostly Wasps (local rugby team) as that's what I tend to wear when I go to games. A couple of England rugby shirts too and a British & Irish Lions shirt.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?