Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Quality journalism

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:46 pm

As we all know, many journalists chase their stories and there isn't much room to dive in depth into a story. I see many good new papers getting rid of more and more staff. The Guardian, the New York Times, Die Welt. for instance, still are good papers, but I miss the in depth investigative journalism.

In the Netherlands it is starting to become more common to pay for your news again. I like "Follow the Money" and "De Correspondent" in this, they have a membership structure and no advertising, thus are independent. The later is starting up an English version of this, which you could support: https://thecorrespondent.com/

How about in the rest of the world, is there a similar movement towards high-quality investigative journalism or back ground stories, paid for by the consumers.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seb146

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 am

There are some pretty good free or alternative publications in the United States. They are seen as outsiders and have zero effs to give. Portland Tribune and Willamette Week are two good ones here in Oregon. They ask questions and follow stories the corporate outlets will not.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ltbewr

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 am

In the USA, many newspapers and some magazines are requiring subscriptions to the paper edition for full online access to them or a limit free access to 10 articles a month on-line. As advertising declines in paper and limited revenues for on-line publications, they have no other route for you to 'pay to play' so they can provide the service one needs and expects in a newspaper or magazine.

stlgph

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm

There is a huge difference between Reporting and Journalism.

I always laugh when I meet someone who works for a local newspaper or a TV station and they say "I'm a journalist."

No, you're not. You're a Reporter.

Reporting is reciting a press release and telling me what you saw.

Journalism is very simple - one side is a "good guy" the other side is a "bad guy" and in the middle -- there's a fight.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Richard28

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:23 pm

stlgph wrote:
Journalism is very simple - one side is a "good guy" the other side is a "bad guy" and in the middle -- there's a fight.

I disagree - that is called being a referee, and there is far too much of that kind of garbage masquerading as news as it is.

A real journalist hunts for truth, uncovers lies, does not allow soundbites, seeks evidence, exposes hypocrisy....

Berevoff

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Whatever journalist writes what I want to hear is a good journalist.

stlgph

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Richard28 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I disagree - that is called being a referee, and there is far too much of that kind of garbage masquerading as news as it is.

A real journalist hunts for truth, uncovers lies, does not allow soundbites, seeks evidence, exposes hypocrisy....

Which brings us back to the premise: There's a good guy. There's a bad guy. In the middle, there's a fight.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Flighty

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Richard28 wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Exactly. A journalist starts with a question -- not an answer -- and does an honest search of the facts to deliver a take that does not succumb to easy bias.

An advocate starts with a conclusion and assembles facts that support that conclusion. It is easily possible that an advocate employs more facts than does a journalist. Advocacy, on all sides, uses a premise and facts together. Often, the premise is not even declared directly. It is implied. There is a huge sleaze factor there.

Just because advocates are extraordinarily skilled - think of OJ Simpson's lawyers - does not mean they are right. It doesn't even IMPLY they are right. Instead, you might look at who hired them, and why.

AA747123

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Just about the only trustworthy reporting or news is fox news. Everything else is liberal biased an lacks truth in reporting.

casinterest

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
As we all know, many journalists chase their stories and there isn't much room to dive in depth into a story. I see many good new papers getting rid of more and more staff. The Guardian, the New York Times, Die Welt. for instance, still are good papers, but I miss the in depth investigative journalism.

In the Netherlands it is starting to become more common to pay for your news again. I like "Follow the Money" and "De Correspondent" in this, they have a membership structure and no advertising, thus are independent. The later is starting up an English version of this, which you could support: https://thecorrespondent.com/

How about in the rest of the world, is there a similar movement towards high-quality investigative journalism or back ground stories, paid for by the consumers.

In the USA, I see a lot of paywalls going up, but it mostly drives me to a news source that has multiple broadcast mediums. Local news stations that have web,tv, and radio presence. I think the days of periodicals and Newspapers is ending. I think a lot more consolidation must take place as sites find their niche, and weed out other sites. Many Journalists are going to become bloggers and social media reporters. It will be up to investigative sites to aggregate these individual contributions into a coherent story
Where ever you go, there you are.