Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Dutchy
Topic Author
Posts: 11615
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Quality journalism

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:46 pm

As we all know, many journalists chase their stories and there isn't much room to dive in depth into a story. I see many good new papers getting rid of more and more staff. The Guardian, the New York Times, Die Welt. for instance, still are good papers, but I miss the in depth investigative journalism.

In the Netherlands it is starting to become more common to pay for your news again. I like "Follow the Money" and "De Correspondent" in this, they have a membership structure and no advertising, thus are independent. The later is starting up an English version of this, which you could support: https://thecorrespondent.com/

How about in the rest of the world, is there a similar movement towards high-quality investigative journalism or back ground stories, paid for by the consumers.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 22298
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 am

There are some pretty good free or alternative publications in the United States. They are seen as outsiders and have zero effs to give. Portland Tribune and Willamette Week are two good ones here in Oregon. They ask questions and follow stories the corporate outlets will not.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15106
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:19 am

In the USA, many newspapers and some magazines are requiring subscriptions to the paper edition for full online access to them or a limit free access to 10 articles a month on-line. As advertising declines in paper and limited revenues for on-line publications, they have no other route for you to 'pay to play' so they can provide the service one needs and expects in a newspaper or magazine.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11208
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm

There is a huge difference between Reporting and Journalism.

I always laugh when I meet someone who works for a local newspaper or a TV station and they say "I'm a journalist."

No, you're not. You're a Reporter.

Reporting is reciting a press release and telling me what you saw.

Journalism is very simple - one side is a "good guy" the other side is a "bad guy" and in the middle -- there's a fight.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Richard28
Posts: 2751
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:42 am

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:23 pm

stlgph wrote:
Journalism is very simple - one side is a "good guy" the other side is a "bad guy" and in the middle -- there's a fight.


I disagree - that is called being a referee, and there is far too much of that kind of garbage masquerading as news as it is.

A real journalist hunts for truth, uncovers lies, does not allow soundbites, seeks evidence, exposes hypocrisy....
 
User avatar
Berevoff
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Whatever journalist writes what I want to hear is a good journalist.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11208
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Richard28 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Journalism is very simple - one side is a "good guy" the other side is a "bad guy" and in the middle -- there's a fight.


I disagree - that is called being a referee, and there is far too much of that kind of garbage masquerading as news as it is.

A real journalist hunts for truth, uncovers lies, does not allow soundbites, seeks evidence, exposes hypocrisy....


Which brings us back to the premise: There's a good guy. There's a bad guy. In the middle, there's a fight.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Richard28 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Journalism is very simple - one side is a "good guy" the other side is a "bad guy" and in the middle -- there's a fight.


I disagree - that is called being a referee, and there is far too much of that kind of garbage masquerading as news as it is.

A real journalist hunts for truth, uncovers lies, does not allow soundbites, seeks evidence, exposes hypocrisy....


Exactly. A journalist starts with a question -- not an answer -- and does an honest search of the facts to deliver a take that does not succumb to easy bias.

An advocate starts with a conclusion and assembles facts that support that conclusion. It is easily possible that an advocate employs more facts than does a journalist. Advocacy, on all sides, uses a premise and facts together. Often, the premise is not even declared directly. It is implied. There is a huge sleaze factor there.

Just because advocates are extraordinarily skilled - think of OJ Simpson's lawyers - does not mean they are right. It doesn't even IMPLY they are right. Instead, you might look at who hired them, and why.
 
AA747123
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Quality journalism

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Just about the only trustworthy reporting or news is fox news. Everything else is liberal biased an lacks truth in reporting.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 11261
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Quality journalism

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
As we all know, many journalists chase their stories and there isn't much room to dive in depth into a story. I see many good new papers getting rid of more and more staff. The Guardian, the New York Times, Die Welt. for instance, still are good papers, but I miss the in depth investigative journalism.

In the Netherlands it is starting to become more common to pay for your news again. I like "Follow the Money" and "De Correspondent" in this, they have a membership structure and no advertising, thus are independent. The later is starting up an English version of this, which you could support: https://thecorrespondent.com/

How about in the rest of the world, is there a similar movement towards high-quality investigative journalism or back ground stories, paid for by the consumers.



In the USA, I see a lot of paywalls going up, but it mostly drives me to a news source that has multiple broadcast mediums. Local news stations that have web,tv, and radio presence. I think the days of periodicals and Newspapers is ending. I think a lot more consolidation must take place as sites find their niche, and weed out other sites. Many Journalists are going to become bloggers and social media reporters. It will be up to investigative sites to aggregate these individual contributions into a coherent story
Where ever you go, there you are.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apodino, Drafran, Dutchy, mmo, stl07 and 49 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos