Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Federal judge in Texas rules Affordable Health Care Act unconstitutional

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 am

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/14/t ... itutional/

Yes, of course it's Unconstitutional !

Maybe there's enough votes in the SCOTUS to now support this. I hope so !!

The ACA didn't fix anything. Shell game.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

NIKV69

Re: Federal judge in Texas rules Affordable Health Care Act unconstitutional

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:40 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Me too! Should be interesting to see how Gorsuch votes
I am the Googlizer!!!

tommy1808

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:11 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Yes, of course it's Unconstitutional !.

You mean Trump and the GOP just made it unconstitutional, right? Because according to this Judge that happened.

NIKV69 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

Me too! Should be interesting to see how Gorsuch votes

Awesome, Medicaid for all starts 2021 or the individual mandate comes back.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

mdsh00

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:25 am

Lol since when does a lower court overrule the SCOTUS?

This judge is just grandstanding. Legal experts on both sides of the aisle have said this will likely not survive the inevitable appeal.

And they say only liberal judges are "activist judges." :roll:

seb146

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 am

Republican health care plan:

if you get sick, die quickly.

So very Christian.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jetwet1

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:01 am

seb146 wrote:

So very Christian.

I really love how a segment of our population is celebrating their healthcare going up 20-45% this year......"we won that battle for more expensive healthcare, party time"

Listen folks, I am in no way saying the ACA is perfect, but ffs, don't be stupid enough to support the thing that provides coverage to many.

A3801000

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:23 am

The great and proud nation of USA still has gofundme.com as national health care provider, doesn't it?

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing ... 0/gofundme

LittleSprocket

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 am

mdsh00 wrote:

This judge is just grandstanding. Legal experts on both sides of the aisle have said this will likely not survive the inevitable appeal.

Since when? The ACA was upheld due to their being a mandatory tax...that has been removed hence why the ACA is now unconstitutional. This isn't activism, this is following the letter of the law.

LittleSprocket

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:15 am

jetwet1 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So very Christian.

I really love how a segment of our population is celebrating their healthcare going up 20-45% this year......"we won that battle for more expensive healthcare, party time"

Listen folks, I am in no way saying the ACA is perfect, but ffs, don't be stupid enough to support the thing that provides coverage to many.

My rates increased exponentially once ACA was enacted. That's what happens when you force insurance companies to take on "undesireables" that increase their expenditures 10 fold.

LittleSprocket

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:17 am

Great, now maybe we can get something that works AND actually reduces health care costs.

Thought experiment, leave the politics out of this. What would you do to reduce the costs of medical care while providing it to the greatest amount of people?

CPH-R

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:22 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
Great, now maybe we can get something that works AND actually reduces health care costs.

Hey, maybe Trump can finally get people that health insurance that, according to him, only cost $12-15 per month :sarcastic:

LittleSprocket

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:25 am

CPH-R wrote:
LittleSprocket wrote:

Hey, maybe Trump can finally get people that health insurance that, according to him, only cost $12-15 per month :sarcastic:

What's Trump got to do with this? I realize that you people here are obsessed with him 24/7 but you realize that laws are passed by Congress and only approved or vetoed by the President right? Sure he has some say but its CONGRESS that passes the laws.

Now, what would YOU do to reduce the costs CPH?

seahawk

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:42 am

seb146 wrote:

So very Christian.

Healthcare is a private matter, no tax money should be used to pay for it. The government should not get involved.

c933103

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:19 am

LittleSprocket wrote:

Thought experiment, leave the politics out of this. What would you do to reduce the costs of medical care while providing it to the greatest amount of people?

I would say you cannot achieve both in the same time. It's like saying how can we make air travel cost drop by half while making it as much more safe as possible. The two issues are separate.

seahawk wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So very Christian.

Healthcare is a private matter, no tax money should be used to pay for it. The government should not get involved.

At least it cannot be private for transmissible diseases.
And then for the rest, it's just as private as food or water or fuel or electricity. Everyone need them
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

seahawk

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am

It is a private matter to cover your own needs. You can not expect society (aka other people) to pay for your needs.

Kiwirob

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:58 am

seahawk wrote:
It is a private matter to cover your own needs. You can not expect society (aka other people) to pay for your needs.

If that’s the case then law enforcement, fire and ambulance services and education should also be a private matter, why should society pay for these service??

DL717

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:32 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I’m still waiting on a legitimate fix to health care costs. That being deregulation of the insurance industry so they can compete across state lines. I’m always amazed that here on an aviation website that people do not recognize the benefits of deregulation.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Aesma

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:47 pm

One way is to force drug companies to lower their prices. EU countries do that. I think Trump has tried, half-heartedly. Then he tried to make EU countries pay more ! It's much easier for EU countries to do it since they have government run healthcare, so they have bargaining power : don't lower the price, fine, we won't use your drug.

In the US you actually enjoy "deregulation", like when financiers buy drug patents and increase their prices by 10/100/1000. Yay.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:48 pm

BTW I find it very peculiar that you can have a constitutional law, then change it, then it's unconstitutional. Shouldn't the change that has been made be unconstitutional, instead ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Someone on the Right, from the Media Entertainment world has something to say:

Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

seb146

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:54 pm

seahawk wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So very Christian.

So when people get sick, too damn bad. They should just go out in the woods and die. That sounds like what you want. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Those of us who make up the bottom ~80% of income earners can not afford private health care. If people want private health care and can afford it, fine. No one has a problem with that. What about those of us who have other priorities like food and housing? Thanks to Republicans, health care is a for-profit system. They don't give a damn about fixing people. We need to go back to the days before Republicans changed everything with their "Medicare A, B, C, D" plans that are purely for the profit of health care companies.

Sorry (not sorry) that you don't like healthy people helping support the economy and making America strong.

seb146

Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:58 pm

DL717 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

I’m still waiting on a legitimate fix to health care costs. That being deregulation of the insurance industry so they can compete across state lines. I’m always amazed that here on an aviation website that people do not recognize the benefits of deregulation.

That would make things worse. Think about it: insurance companies would simply charge New York or California prices to Republican states. That's all that would change. How would that be better for those low income states? Tort reform would do nothing for the price of health care, either, so don't even start that.

seb146

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:02 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

This shows two things:

1. Republicans hated a Black man being in charge and reinforces the FACT that Republicans hate minorities
2. Celebrities do matter

Your fake outrage is noted and your true colors are noted.

Tugger

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:07 pm

LittleSprocket wrote:
mdsh00 wrote:

Since when? The ACA was upheld due to their being a mandatory tax...that has been removed hence why the ACA is now unconstitutional. This isn't activism, this is following the letter of the law.

So you are saying Congress did an unconstitutional act? Well that can be corrected.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seahawk

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pm

seb146 wrote:
seahawk wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So very Christian.

So when people get sick, too damn bad. They should just go out in the woods and die. That sounds like what you want. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Those of us who make up the bottom ~80% of income earners can not afford private health care. If people want private health care and can afford it, fine. No one has a problem with that. What about those of us who have other priorities like food and housing? Thanks to Republicans, health care is a for-profit system. They don't give a damn about fixing people. We need to go back to the days before Republicans changed everything with their "Medicare A, B, C, D" plans that are purely for the profit of health care companies.

Sorry (not sorry) that you don't like healthy people helping support the economy and making America strong.

The best medicine is a prayer and that is free. At least that is how I understand conservative America.

Tugger

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 pm

seahawk wrote:
The best medicine is a prayer and that is free. At least that is how I understand conservative America.

The legislators that did this are not conservative. Actual conservatives believe that people need to be held responsible for their debts and their costs and pay their way. The current crop are following a MAGA protocol which is to only punish, block, and pander. Not actually manage and address costs and budgets etc. to support the American people.

Replublican's, actual conservative Republican's, were the creators of the individual mandate as the most important tool to address the healthcare situation and problems in the USA. Sadly those Republican's have been left behind by the current crop that takes no responsibility for creating a strong USA, now MAGA's just support increasing the debt and working to "dismantle" things rather than work for the US and their constituents.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

stl07

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

This shows two things:

1. Republicans hated a Black man being in charge and reinforces the FACT that Republicans hate minorities
2. Celebrities do matter

Your fake outrage is noted and your true colors are noted.

What?
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Ok, so he learned some big words from AP Government class in high school

How Cool
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

cpd

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm

seahawk wrote:

You can expect that. I have private health insurance for bigger things like hospital visits, but my visits to a normal doctor for minor things are publicly funded.

seahawk

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:41 pm

cpd wrote:
seahawk wrote:

You can expect that. I have private health insurance for bigger things like hospital visits, but my visits to a normal doctor for minor things are publicly funded.

Not in Magamerica. If you are not rich your are a liability. The saying "it is a private matter" means, I do not want to pay for you, especially as I have enough money to buy myself a very high quality private insurance.

Tugger

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:43 pm

cpd wrote:
seahawk wrote:

And to me, this is what the USA should have in it's solution.

Unfortunately the Republican's completely abdicated their responsibility when the ACA was being crafted and that pushed the legislation to the far left to pick up votes. Sadly there were quite a few brave Republican's that tried but were then attacked and bulled by extreme right wingers around them and in the media and forced to pull back. The Republican's failed the American people with that.

Tugg

Pi7472000

Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Disgusting!! We need true universal health care in this country. Health care is a right. We also need universal long term care and better long term disability insurance for people who get sick and can no longer work. People should not be punished and lose everything if they come down with a long term illness that is out of their control.

Really gross that conservatives shove religion down our throats, and get in a huge uproar if they have to serve gay people a cake or can buy can't buy a gun on demand, but then deny basic human rights to people who are ill. All people have the right to free, quality health care. We need to continue to demand better health care and make sure that people who do get sick to do not lose everything because conservatives do not want to provide care to all.

It is interesting that the least religious societies are the most generous, educated, equitable, free, happy and caring to their people.

910A

Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:17 pm

But his view was echoed by Jonathan Adler of Case Western Reserve law school, a conservative who was the architect of a legal strategy that aimed to overturn much of the law’s premium subsidies (but was rejected by the Supreme Court in 2015). Adler called O’Connor’s decision “surprising — and surprisingly weak” and added, “I do not believe this opinion is long for this world. However superficially plausible the plaintiff states' claims initially appear, they melt upon inspection.

It’s proper to observe that the plaintiff states maneuvered carefully to bring their case before O’Connor by filing it in a branch courthouse where he’s the only federal judge on call. They know their man: O’Connor was a Senate Republican staff functionary without judicial experience when he was named to the bench by George W. Bush in 2007.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzi ... story.html

Judge O'Connor should be asked to resign or be impeached for his role to breach the constitution on the behalf of a select few.

seb146

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Let's put this another way:

The authors of ACA knew it was not the best, so they wrote it so it could be improved and work for We The People.

Republicans have been in control of Congress for how long and they have done exactly zero to improve ACA. They don't even have a replacement. They have a "wait and see" attitude, if anything.

apodino

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:20 pm

While I think the judge in this case used what appears in my mind to be a legally sound ruling, I suspect this ruling will get overturned on appeal, probably by the full circuit court and then I believe the Supreme Court may refuse to hear the case. If the Full Circuit upholds the ruling, then the Supreme Court probably takes up the case, and I doubt Roberts will change his mind from his earlier ruling. So I think this is a nothing burger, but the Supreme Court has surprised us in the past.

Aside from the legal stuff though, I came across this article the other day and its a very well written and researched article stating why we still don't have a single payer system in the US. Here is the Article, then I will share my thoughts.

https://qz.com/1022831/why-doesnt-the-united-states-have-universal-health-care/

Some interesting points in the article.

1. FDR may not have been the progressive hero a lot of people think he was. It seems like that he put a wage freeze or something on during his time, which is what led employers to start offering health care as a way to compete for talent since they couldn't offer higher wages. Hence the reason why health insurance is employer and not government based.

2. After World War 2, political thinking at the time thought that Single Payer was too similar to the system in Nazi Germany or Communist Russia, and the US not wanting to be like them decided against implementing such a system. Interstingly enough, Churchill went the other way on this and that is how the NHS in the UK was founded.

3. Earl Warren tried to implement a single payer system in California shortly after World War 2. Interesting enough, the proposal got killed after the California Medical association hired what may be the first ever lobbying firm in the US to kill the bill. Harry Truman tried to implement a system at the national level, but the same lobbyists shot it down too.

4. The Health Insurance industry nationwide employees over 800,000 people. Going to a single payer system would likely result in the loss of a lot of these jobs. Many of these jobs are held by minorities as well. My wife used to work for a Health Insurance company and was one of the only White people that worked at her site.

5. Hospitals, Nursing Homes, and Drug companies have given a combined $350 Million to political campaigns during the 2016 campaign, and both parties benefited. Nancy Pelosi is known as a prolific fundraiser. Where do you think some of that came from?

6. The US spends the most per captia on health care of any industrialized nation by a long shot. The next highest is Norway but they spend almost 2/3 of what we do. And yet our health care system sucks compared to a lot of these countries.

There has been a lot of harsh tones from both sides in here but I would like people in here to read the article and share their thoughts.

Chaostheory

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 pm

apodino wrote:
Interstingly enough, Churchill went the other way on this and that is how the NHS in the UK was founded.

You're wrong on this bit.

Neither Churchill nor his conservative colleagues supported the founding of the NHS. The creation of the NHS was entirely the Labour party's doing. Funnily enough, most doctors were against the NHS at the time too.

Ken777

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:21 pm

jetwet1 wrote:

I haven't seen the increases that private insurance has had for this year, but these increases will be based on the loss of insured due to the GOP eliminating the Mandate. Fewer insured mean more insured people going to ER for health care and THAT COST SHIFTING is going to increase your monthly premiums. And that will only increase premiums in each of the following years as long as the GOP curse isn't corrected.

Me? I'm OK as I'm on Medicare with limits to my increases, and I have supplemental, which is paying the deductions and co-pays in advance. How about you?

EstherLouise

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:46 pm

The more the GOP dicks around with Obamacare, the more likely we are to get Medicare for All. I'll be the first to admit it wasn't perfect when passed, but it was designed to be tweaked as we go. Instead of trying to fix the glitches, the GOP tried from day one to destroy it. And here we are today. The only way to fix the healthcare crisis is to set fixed payments to hospital, clinics, and physicians like Medicare does. What are providers and health facilities doing with the money they receive? They're putting in million dollar, two-story high fountains in their atriums, installing $50,000 fish tanks in their waiting rooms, and offering valet parking for doctors. Clinics and hospitals and private practice offices should use their money to aid patients.... not to make themselves look like the richest ones in town.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

910A

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Here are some other rulings that he wrote:
..2015 - that blocking the extension of medical leave benefits to gay couples.
..2016 - he issued a nationwide injunction on an Obama policy that forbade health-care providers from discriminating against individuals based upon their gender identity.
..2016 - blocked an Obama-era policy from going into effect, one which advised school districts that transgender students should be able to access bathrooms based upon their gender identity, not just their sex.
..2018 - ruled the Indian Child Welfare Act was unconstitutional.

O'Connor is a proud graduate of South Texas College of Law,

Texas AG Paxton is know for finding out the way District Courts and Judges to handle cases the way he wants. Another example is U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen of Brownsville TXand DACA cases.

BN747

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:12 am

seb146 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

This shows two things:

Yup...kinda hard to decide which to level the hate on, America's hardcore Racist like the OP...or the hardcore American Traitors...

But it's great when we are gifted with them coming all wrapped up in one shiny package...like Woods, the OP and their fearful Traitor Leader Benedict Donald TTrump & his like-minded ilk.

For the morons screeching 'I don't wanna pay for someone else's health needs...guess what?

Too late!

Your ass is paying dearly for every Congress person alive, retired and their families. You are paying for all military members (many contractors, their families) active and retired.

Ever do the math?

When you buy in volume, the discount has no choice but to increase - exponentially.

But common sense eludes millions of upright walking creatures.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

WarRI1

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:53 am

To me, just another Republican tactic to force it to the Supreme Court to try and get it abolished because of the Right Wing Wacko's we have there. . Chief Justice Roberts may have something to say about that.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

AA747123

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:12 am

This is great news for our nation, and returning us to a Great Nation. How can the government require someone to buy a particular product? How can a government force a private insurance company to cover things such as pre-existing conditions? By repealing this Oblummer regulation it will ultimately lower costs for all. This is great news and adds a great feather in the cap of Trump. He is truly MAGA!

WarRI1

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:19 am

AA747123 wrote:
This is great news for our nation, and returning us to a Great Nation. How can the government require someone to buy a particular product? How can a government force a private insurance company to cover things such as pre-existing conditions? By repealing this Oblummer regulation it will ultimately lower costs for all. This is great news and adds a great feather in the cap of Trump. He is truly MAGA!

After the Impeachment of your Hero, please get back to us about how Madga he is. He may not be Madga, but he is a Champion Bragger, that I will grant him. Maybe just a tad Boorish also.

EstherLouise

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:30 am

AA747123 wrote:

I doubt across the board Medicare for All will become the law of the land. It will be an option for citizens to subscribe to. If you want to keep your insurance and its $3000 a month premium, you will be able to. OR... If you want about 20% of your gross income to pay for a Medicare for All program insurance policy, that will be your choice. True, if you want to cover the 20% Medicare copay, you'll have to buy a $100 a month secondary policy. And if you do, you will pay no more out of pocket after that. And Medicare for All will have no deductible. And your kids under age 18 will be covered for free. I work in healthcare and have done so for nearly 40 years. I have a little inside knowledge of where the American insurance crisis is going.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Dieuwer

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:36 am

Then put back the mandatory tax and set it at a minimum $0.01.

AA747123

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 am

WarRI1 wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

After the Impeachment of your Hero, please get back to us about how Madga he is. He may not be Madga, but he is a Champion Bragger, that I will grant him. Maybe just a tad Boorish also.

Trump will NEVER be impeached! What laws has he been convicted of? It all circumstantial accusations. Thats it. Dont forget it takes a 2/3'rds majority of the senate to impeach. I guarantee you that will NEVER happen.

seb146

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 am

AA747123 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

Trump will NEVER be impeached! What laws has he been convicted of? It all circumstantial accusations. Thats it. Dont forget it takes a 2/3'rds majority of the senate to impeach. I guarantee you that will NEVER happen.

Finally something I agree with AA on: he will not be impeached.

He will leave office before he can be impeached.

He will still be prosecuted and found guilty but he will not be impeached.

bagoldex

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:53 am

AA747123 wrote:

How much does your life have to suck for you to not only find happiness but to express what comes across as exuberance and joy in people losing access to affordable healthcare?

WarRI1

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 am

AA747123 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

Just the Charge by the House will do, he will then be on a level with But, but, but Clinton. :)

AA747123

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:12 am

bagoldex wrote:
AA747123 wrote:

How much does your life have to suck for you to not only find happiness but to express what comes across as exuberance and joy in people losing access to affordable healthcare?

Its about being forced to buy a product I dont want to buy. Its about upholding the constitution. Why should I have to pay a higher tax to supplement someone else healthcare? For decades and decades we got by in this country WITHOUT mandatory health insurance. Socialized health care is socialism. Socialism leads to communism.

Look at prison. Fee housing in a gated community, free food for all, free healthcare for all, everyone is treated the same. Its a liberal paradise!