Dutchy
Topic Author

All about Russia

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 am

Many threads about Russia have been rightfully closed do to going off topic. So I thought I would create on "all about Russia". The point of this thread is to talk about Russia in general: its politics, international relations, culture, technical achievements and what you would like. Please try to keep personal attacks and whataboutisms to a minimum, so as long as we keep it on the broad subject of Russia we should keep this thread alive for a long time and there is no need to open a new thread about a Russian subject.

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

KICT

Re: All about Russia

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 am

What Russians need are gun rights. If there ever was a gov't needing to be overthrown it would be that one.
But we all know Putin would never allow it. Violence is therefore probably necessary...
People are saying. Believe me.

A3801000

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 am

And who would come after him? Putin took great care to keep ambitious people down.
The communists? The far right?
Considering Putin also tries to keep his population down and uninformed (censoring internet, no independant media, taking care the population does not learn any languages) the whole country sits between a rock and a hard place.

Scorpius

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:47 am

Last week there were two unique events in the history of cosmonautics.
1. A unique complex operation was carried out as part of the investigation of the incident with the depressurization of the Soyuz MS-09 spacecraft.
2. Russia was the first in the world to print organs in orbit. During the first stage of the experiment "Magnetic 3D-bioprinter" for the first time in space were printed human cartilage tissue and thyroid rodent. https://www.roscosmos.ru/25849/

Source of foto, the official page of cosmonaut Sergei Prokopiev in the social network Vkontakte : https://vk.com/prokopyev_iss?z=photo-168754335_456239342%2Fwall-168754335_1686

anrec80

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm

KICT wrote:
What Russians need are gun rights. If there ever was a gov't needing to be overthrown it would be that one.
But we all know Putin would never allow it. Violence is therefore probably necessary...

Available guns alone don’t overthrow governments. It takes someone really interested with financial and professional resources, both inside and outside. And cookies from them, of course.

anrec80

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:37 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
A3801000 wrote:
And who would come after him? Putin took great care to keep ambitious people down.
The communists? The far right?
Considering Putin also tries to keep his population down and uninformed (censoring internet, no independant media, taking care the population does not learn any languages) the whole country sits between a rock and a hard place.

Why should someone go after him? This someone needs to get elected into the office legitimately, not by going after somebody. Putin was just elected by overwhelming majority of votes and has 5 years left. He’s the choice of the nation, obviously, and the nation approves him. What do you have to do with that?

Speaking of media you call independent - they are there (such as Echo of Moscow), nobody shuts them down.

A3801000

Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm

'New report on Russian disinformation, prepared for the Senate, shows the operation’s scale and sweep'

Interesting read, I hope our resident Tolls are not upset they didn't get a mention:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... cale-sweep

- '...the operation used every major social media platform to deliver words, images and videos tailored to voters’ interests to help elect President Trump...'

anrec80

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:44 pm

A3801000 wrote:
'New report on Russian disinformation, prepared for the Senate, shows the operation’s scale and sweep'

Interesting read, I hope our resident Tolls are not upset they didn't get a mention:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... cale-sweep

- '...the operation used every major social media platform to deliver words, images and videos tailored to voters’ interests to help elect President Trump...'

Aren’t you sick and tired of all this “Russian meddling”, “russian disinformation” and the likes? It’s been over 2 years, and not even a single thing is proven in court. At all. Zero.

Berevoff

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Are there adventure vacations westerners can take in Siberia/other parts of Russia during the summer? It seems those would be super popular with tourists. I'd love to do a rafting/hiking trip like that.

A3801000

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Russian spy Maria Butina admitted in federal court to engaging in a conspiracy against the United States with the Russian Gov’t. Butina said she acted "under direction of" Russian Gov’t official Alexander Torshin.

TWA772LR

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:17 am

As an American, Russia and it's history fascinate me. I'd love to visit someday. Здравствуйте из США!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:31 am

KICT wrote:

Russians have plenty of guns and sensible legislation around using them.

Russian citizens over 18 years of age can obtain a firearms license after attending gun-safety classes and passing a federal test and background check. The license is for five years and may be renewed. Firearms may be acquired for self-defense, hunting, or sports activities.

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:34 am

A3801000 wrote:
(censoring internet, no independant media, taking care the population does not learn any languages) the whole country sits between a rock and a hard place.

English is a compulsory subject in school. Almost every Russian I know speaks English to some degree.

Aesma

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:50 am

KICT wrote:

So you're saying Russians need to overthrow the government to get the right to bear arms so they can overthrow the government ?

Is it that difficult to get guns in Russia (illegally, I mean) ?

Of course Putin is cozy with the mafia and gangs so they're not the ones that will overthrow him.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

anrec80

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 am

A3801000 wrote:
Russian spy Maria Butina admitted in federal court to engaging in a conspiracy against the United States with the Russian Gov’t. Butina said she acted "under direction of" Russian Gov’t official Alexander Torshin.

Yeah - Alexander Torshin is a very high ranking official. Whole former MP. Look - this whole Russia case desperately needs at least some successes, and hence they over-blew this one. All this case is about is some technicalities of FARA (Foreign agent registration act). The way it is written - virtually any foreigner who talks to anyone elected, can get 15 years (perhaps she would have been better off killing that Congressman, she would've got less).

IMHO - this isn't a matter that requires jailing someone. All the prosecutor should have done - call her and say "look, here's the foreign agent registration procedure, register according to it, and you can continue your NRA engagement legally, whatever it is". Nothing else.

WIederling

Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 am

A3801000 wrote:
...the operation used every major social media platform to deliver words, images and videos tailored to voters’ interests to help elect President Trump...'

You are aware of what Cambridge Analytics did with Facebook's user data and who paid them?
( Trump was voted in. good value for money.)
Murphy is an optimist

Zeppi

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:17 am

Various russian industries are heavily investing in researching renewable sources of energy and construction materials. This decentral heating device fueled by organic renewable compounds will most certainly catch on:

The automotive industry also isn't sleeping, organic material in construction is seen more and more:

:duck:

Scorpius

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Berevoff wrote:
Are there adventure vacations westerners can take in Siberia/other parts of Russia during the summer? It seems those would be super popular with tourists. I'd love to do a rafting/hiking trip like that.

In Russia there are three very popular destinations for Hiking and water tourism. Karelia, Altai mountains and lake Baikal.
In General, I would recommend to start to visit some more or less civilized places to visit, as traveling in the wild require some preparation.
Relatively close to Moscow, for example, there is a complex of lakes called Seliger - there you can also have a good time in nature.
For those who would like to look at quite deserted places-there is a place in Siberia called "Putorana plateau". Also, a lot of beautiful nature can be seen in Kamchatka.
In the European part of Russia there are also areas that are United by a common ethno-geographical name "Russian North". Unique place. Karelia, by the way, is part of these territories.
In Russia you can travel not only in the summer - each time of the year there is a unique experience, and the same place at one time of the year looks completely different.
If you are interested - I can try to help with the selection of the tour in Russia, but I need to know some specific wishes regarding the route and the desired price level.

Scorpius

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:15 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
As an American, Russia and it's history fascinate me. I'd love to visit someday. Здравствуйте из США!

Currently, up to 31.12.2018 of the year in Russia has simplified the mode of entry for foreigners. This was introduced for the 2018 world Cup, and until the end of this year for all foreigners who have issued a FAN-ID, a visa-free regime. I do not know yet whether this experiment will be extended, but there were proposals to do this on a regular basis for mass events taking place in Russia.

A3801000

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 pm

U.S. envoy: idea of extra Russia sanctions gaining traction

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukra ... SKBN1OG1PK

Braybuddy

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:05 pm

And, of course, to provide some balance, let's not forget the story of Sergei Magnitsky and the shocking corruption and theft that permeates the Russian authorities and security services. They are rotten to the core:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6ljV-WfRw

Scorpius

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm

You know what, Ilya? I feel bad. It hurts me that there are so many minds, so many possibilities... This was the potential — and in fact he was killed...
https://youtu.be/5HebeCZwo08

A3801000

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:24 pm

UNGA adopted a Ukraine-initiated resolution urging Russia to withdraw its military forces from the occupied Crimea and condemning the increasing Russian military presence in parts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. 66 for, 19 against, 40 cosponsors

Standing together with the world power wannabe Russia:

- Armenia
- Belarus
- Bolivia
- Burundi
- Cambodia
- Cuba
- N Korea
- Iran
- Laos
- Myanmar
- Nicaragua
- Serbia
- S Sudan
- Syria
- Uzbekistan
- Venezuela
- Zimbabwe

Scipio

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am

A3801000 wrote:
UNGA adopted a Ukraine-initiated resolution urging Russia to withdraw its military forces from the occupied Crimea and condemning the increasing Russian military presence in parts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. 66 for, 19 against, 40 cosponsors

Standing together with the world power wannabe Russia:

- Armenia
- Belarus
- Bolivia
- Burundi
- Cambodia
- Cuba
- N Korea
- Iran
- Laos
- Myanmar
- Nicaragua
- Serbia
- S Sudan
- Syria
- Uzbekistan
- Venezuela
- Zimbabwe

Sudan and Russia itself are missing from this list.

For the fun of it, I made a few quick calculations. These 19 countries (i.e., including Russia itself) represent 7.1% of the world's population and 3.3% of the world's GDP...

A3801000

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Kremlin is so afraid of grass root protests like the yellow vests, they ordered the police to arrest anyone wearing such a vest:

video: https://twitter.com/Albertich61/status/ ... 1948815367

Even if it's just a street cleaner :D

johnboy

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 am

A3801000 wrote:
Kremlin is so afraid of grass root protests like the yellow vests, they ordered the police to arrest anyone wearing such a vest:

video: https://twitter.com/Albertich61/status/ ... 1948815367

Even if it's just a street cleaner :D

I thought Putin was the one fomenting the yellow vests in France.
Wouldn’t it be hilarious if all this came back to bite Ol’ Short Melting Potato Face in the ass?

johnboy

Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 am

anrec80 wrote:

Aren’t you sick and tired of all this “Russian meddling”, “russian disinformation” and the likes? It’s been over 2 years, and not even a single thing is proven in court. At all. Zero.

Nope. As a matter of fact, the more you guys sputter and whine, the more I believe the US is on the right track to defeating a has-been world power ... AGAIN.

tu204

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 am

Kiwirob wrote:
KICT wrote:

Russians have plenty of guns and sensible legislation around using them.

Russian citizens over 18 years of age can obtain a firearms license after attending gun-safety classes and passing a federal test and background check. The license is for five years and may be renewed. Firearms may be acquired for self-defense, hunting, or sports activities.

Hey I'm one that freely critisizes our politics. One of my beefs is the self-defence issue.

There was a case this year near where I live that two guys broke into another guys house, with weapons, tied him up, he got free, grabbed a knife and killed one of them and critically injured another. Well now he has charges against him for murder. Spoke to a few lawyer friends about this, their opinion is that he will be found guilty and will get a probationary sentance.

I don't agree with the self-defence laws in the States, but here it isn't so good either, albeit from the opposite side.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

atcsundevil

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:55 pm

This thread, like every one of these threads, has deteriorated into personal attacks. The thread will be locked.

✈️ atcsundevil