Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

New car suggestions

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:53 am

Since my car is going to blow up on my any day now, the time has come to look in to getting a new one.

Right now I drive a 2003 Accord V6 with 217000 miles. I got her 5 years ago for $2500 at 173000 miles. I now live in Colorado where the roads can be icy but i really haven't had any problems in my current car.

Lately I've been looking at later Accord years, specifically the 2016 Touring coupe. I like the power of a V6 and the reliability of the Honda models, but Subarus are big here for AWD (and I believe is some kind of 'help save the world and look like you care' millennial edge because of the hipsters here) and I was liking the Crosstrek but found out its not really fun to drive, and havent looked hard in to the Impreza or Outback yet.

Id love to have a medium sized truck like a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier (my dad bought the later earlier this year and loves it) but dont really need the capability except for taking my bike to the mountains, which doesnt matter because i ride with my dad anyway.

What cars have y'all bought lately? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance! :)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

FatCat

Re: New car suggestions

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:06 am

I'd go for a Volvo.
...but nevermind, I've worked for 7 years for Volvo, so I'm a bit on their part
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

AA747123

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:50 pm

I would go with the Toyota Tacoma, if you can get the V6. Its pretty much bullet proof. Plus Toyotas have better re-sale value than Nissan.

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:52 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
What cars have y'all bought lately?

I just bought my 3rd Mazda in a row a few months ago. 2018 CX-9. FWD, since I really have no use for AWD. But I love the car. They don't make them V6 anymore, but the turbo-4 has a good amount of power.

Lotta people seem to really love their CX-5s as well, which I think you can also get AWD. And if I didn't want a larger car, I'd have gotten the new Mazda 6 with the turbo.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

frmrCapCadet

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 pm

The Consumer Reports April is their annual car report. It covers not only their recommendations, but also detailed reports on the reliability of just about every car. The reliability has check lists for motor, transmission, electronics, exhaust etc etc. Their main recommendations are based on safety and reliability. But two cars, the Tacoma and CRV were typically down graded for other reasons, BUT, customers reported super satisfaction so now the 2nd item is customer satisfaction.

I just bought a new car because at my age I felt I needed ALL of the recently added safety features. So I went through all of the cars of the size and price I was looking at. I was surprised that even one BMW was close. Ended up with a 2019 RAV4, and a bit surprised that I chose a AWD, but wife and I both like it.

Buying a used car, as I have done for myself and for kids from time to time, the rule was: Don't buy a used car that CR says not to get.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

luckyone

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:46 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Since my car is going to blow up on my any day now, the time has come to look in to getting a new one.

Right now I drive a 2003 Accord V6 with 217000 miles. I got her 5 years ago for $2500 at 173000 miles. I now live in Colorado where the roads can be icy but i really haven't had any problems in my current car.

Lately I've been looking at later Accord years, specifically the 2016 Touring coupe. I like the power of a V6 and the reliability of the Honda models, but Subarus are big here for AWD (and I believe is some kind of 'help save the world and look like you care' millennial edge because of the hipsters here) and I was liking the Crosstrek but found out its not really fun to drive, and havent looked hard in to the Impreza or Outback yet.

Id love to have a medium sized truck like a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier (my dad bought the later earlier this year and loves it) but dont really need the capability except for taking my bike to the mountains, which doesnt matter because i ride with my dad anyway.

What cars have y'all bought lately? What do you recommend? Thanks in advance! :)

The Crosstrek is an Impreza hatchback on stilts. They'll drive very similarly, and are in my opinion underpowered, particularly at altitude. Subaru only puts a V6 in the upper trims of the Outback, which in my humble opinion is overpriced at those levels for what you get in terms of comfort, and the boxer engine can be a bit noisy, but that's being VERY particular. The car is terrific at lower trim levels. Its fuel economy could be better. You can also look at the Forester with a 2.0L turbocharged engine which is much more powerful than the 2.5L naturally aspirated engine that can struggle on freeways and at higher altitudes. They're relatively easy to find used, and they come well-equipped.

Hondas are also great, though like most Japanese cars lately the styling is a bit too Angry Robot for my liking. They introduced a new Accord that is wonderful, though now the top engine is a turbocharged inline four. CRVs are ubiquitous and comfortable.

The Chevrolet Colorado is great, and if you can get a diesel that gets reasonable mileage for a pickup.

The Mazda 6/CX-5 are both terrific cars. They drive well, and the CX-5 has AWD if you need it and the flexibility of a crossover.

The Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen S trim comes in AWD. Plenty of space, good performance. And VW is being very generous with their warranty right now. You can also get a used Passat for a song. The car has plenty of space. Same for a used previous generation Tiguan, which is quite powerful for a car that size as it has the same 2.0T as the last generation Golf GTI. Just avoid the panoramic sunroof as it rattles in the cold.

Ford Escape/Edge: completely anonymous, but handles well enough. AWD. And they're a dime a dozen on the used lot.

Like another use mentioned, check out Volvo. I drive an XC70 T6, and absolutely love the thing. AWD, does well in the nasty winters we get in the Great Lakes. 300hp turbocharged inline six. Incredibly comfortable, and because it's a rolling box it is incredibly practical. You can fine reasonably priced used ones, thought he more recent models only have a 2.5L turbocharged fivepot, but they drive almost the same. Similarly, you can check out Audi. Plenty of those coming off lease for reasonable prices on the used lot and they all have AWD.
Last edited by luckyone on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sw733

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:49 pm

I went from a 2003 Accord which I loved to a 2018 CR-V which I, so far, love. It has a few things I don't like about it, like most vehicles, but by-and-large it has been great so far.

AA747123

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:57 pm

sw733 wrote:
I went from a 2003 Accord which I loved to a 2018 CR-V which I, so far, love. It has a few things I don't like about it, like most vehicles, but by-and-large it has been great so far.

I like the looks of the CRV, features and comfort. The digital dash kills it for me. I really prefer analog. I test drove the CRV Touring and liked the way it drove.

sw733

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 pm

AA747123 wrote:
sw733 wrote:

I like the looks of the CRV, features and comfort. The digital dash kills it for me. I really prefer analog. I test drove the CRV Touring and liked the way it drove.

To each their own with provolone, I am not so much a fan of how it looked on the outside (especially the rear, which is hideous to me...but front has grown on me a lot), but I like the interior and driver interface immensely.

NIKV69

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:15 pm

I am the Googlizer!!!

Flighty

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 pm

I recommend cheap, old European cars that break a lot.

Adding 4WD to your list of requirements makes this a daunting task. Maybe a Jensen FF is your answer. Or Laforza.

fsx98

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm

My dad bought a 2018 CR-V and I have found this capable SUV a lot more agile, responsive, and fun to drive, though I'm much more in the luxury car segment, mainly Lexus, as we had two of them (2004 ES 330 and 2010 GX 460); now we have just one, the GX, as my sister got into an accident in the ES earlier this year and totaled it (not her fault, as this old driver in the 2010? Ford Taurus backed into her as she tried to avoid the accident). I'll miss regularly driving this car to anywhere, but will still enjoy the V8 power of the GX and more importantly, the turbo power from the fun-to-drive CR-V!

WingsFan

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm

I generally buy used vehicles and so if you go that route, I highly recommend checking the vehicle for history of problems at carcomplaints.com . If a particular Year-Make-Model shows high number of issues than normal, stay clear even if it is Honda or Toyota.
My personal history of vehicle issues matches closely with the pattern shown on that website. As for new vehicles, you really have to trust predictive data from consumer reports etc.