Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Flightsimboy
Topic Author

AC510 (ORD-YYZ) - E190 Diversion to YTZ instead of YYZ. FR24 Glitch?

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:08 am

Had a friend's wife arrive on this flight this evening and he asked me to check....Was surprised to see it says "Diverted to YTZ" and proceeded to tell him they had diverted to Billy Bishop. However on checking the Air Canada Website is shows arriving at Toronto. How could such a major glitch happen? Just as well I didn't send him to Billy Bishop to pick up his wife after I assured him she had indeed landed at Pearson lol. Can an E190 even land there?. You have no idea how stupid I feel right now considering people who know me reach out to me for such flight details. Feel even stupider to think an E190 could go to YTZ. (And yes I have been going on recently about the level of stupidity on a.net). Sigh.

LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

zakuivcustom

Re: AC510 (ORD-YYZ) - E190 Diversion to YTZ instead of YYZ. FR24 Glitch?

Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:37 am

FR24 bug.

Not all E190 are equipped with ADS-B AFAIK, and the AC one is most likely one of those that doesn't. FR24 lost track of the plane once it descended below certain attitude (as it would be out of coverage of the primary radar. I don't know the exact attitude, though) and simply thinks that it landed in YTZ as the plane was over the airport when FR24 lost track of the plane.

It's actually pretty common anyway to see diversions that makes no sense.

Flightsimboy
Topic Author

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:18 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
FR24 bug.

Not all E190 are equipped with ADS-B AFAIK, and the AC one is most likely one of those that doesn't. FR24 lost track of the plane once it descended below certain attitude (as it would be out of coverage of the primary radar. I don't know the exact attitude, though) and simply thinks that it landed in YTZ as the plane was over the airport when FR24 lost track of the plane.

Thanks. A lot of other E190s landed as well....I guess it was just this one that had to go wrong.....Just as well YTZ is not an E190 capable airport or else one would assume it did land there. Thanks for the info.
LAX772LR - "Answer to goofy question:" in response to my question about the B737-MAX8 being grounded. 48 hours later all B737-MAX8 grounded worldwide. Go figure!!

JAGflyer

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:10 am

I noticed a similar thing with ACA504 which apparently diverted to Oshawa Airport (CYOO) a few days ago.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Cubsrule

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:20 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
FR24 bug.

I wonder whether part of FR24’s algorithm for this accounts for runway heading. If so, the mistake is somewhat more understandable; an aircraft on downwind for 24L at YYZ comes pretty close to overflying YTZ’s runway 6 on the runway heading.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

atcsundevil

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:45 am

Flightsimboy wrote:
Had a friend's wife arrive on this flight this evening and he asked me to check....Was surprised to see it says "Diverted to YTZ" and proceeded to tell him they had diverted to Billy Bishop. However on checking the Air Canada Website is shows arriving at Toronto. How could such a major glitch happen? Just as well I didn't send him to Billy Bishop to pick up his wife after I assured him she had indeed landed at Pearson lol. Can an E190 even land there?. You have no idea how stupid I feel right now considering people who know me reach out to me for such flight details. Feel even stupider to think an E190 could go to YTZ. (And yes I have been going on recently about the level of stupidity on a.net). Sigh.

Since this is a glitch and therfore not Civil Aviation related, I have moved the thread to the Non Aviation Forum.

✈️ atcsundevil