Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bgm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
But the Democrats don’t really care if government is open.

Please watch my video links above (multiple times if needed) and say that with a straight face. Trump has said on camera many times that he is proud to shut down the government..

VTKillarney wrote:
This is all about their hatred for Trump and nothing more. Quite sad, really.

If you truly were a "moderate" you would also argue that Trump could also back down, but I don't see you doing that.

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Was listening to Mark Levin last night and he pointed out the USA today article that talked about the national emergency idea. I was actually a little shocked by how much power is granted to the executive branch - and all you have to do is figure out a way to portray an event as a national emergency. By the way, that article is based on a congressional research office report from 2007. Basically allows the executive branch authoritarian style powers - ability to seize property, force manufacturing plants to build specific products, complete control of telecommunications. The list goes on. Day after the election our friends on the other side of the aisle said Trump would be doing all of these things and more. Yet he still hasn't attempted to do so. Might be wise to negotiate.

seahawk

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Yes, must have been a relief to see the state of emergency end after Obama went away...

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Was listening to Mark Levin last night and he pointed out the USA today article that talked about the national emergency idea. I was actually a little shocked by how much power is granted to the executive branch - and all you have to do is figure out a way to portray an event as a national emergency. By the way, that article is based on a congressional research office report from 2007. Basically allows the executive branch authoritarian style powers - ability to seize property, force manufacturing plants to build specific products, complete control of telecommunications. The list goes on. Day after the election our friends on the other side of the aisle said Trump would be doing all of these things and more. Yet he still hasn't attempted to do so. Might be wise to negotiate.

So you are saying negotiate with a dictator? Because you are admitting Trump is about to invoke those very powers.

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm

casinterest wrote:

So you are saying negotiate with a dictator? Because you are admitting Trump is about to invoke those very powers.

I'm saying its a slippery slope

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:04 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

A slippery slope? Look who elected him.

casinterest wrote:
“I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”"

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I just think its better for the country if its negotiated in congress rather than a national emergency. Personally, I think there is legal justification to make a national emergency declaration. But I don't think that is best way to do it at this time.

Think of it this way. If democrats negotiate, they will get something in return. If they don't they'll get nothing. Either way Trump gets his wall. If they don't negotiate, Trump can use it as a talking point that they want to do nothing but obstruct.

At this point I think its best to negotiate and move on.

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I just think its better for the country if its negotiated in congress rather than a national emergency. Personally, I think there is legal justification to make a national emergency declaration. But I don't think that is best way to do it at this time.

Think of it this way. If democrats negotiate, they will get something in return. If they don't they'll get nothing. Either way Trump gets his wall. If they don't negotiate, Trump can use it as a talking point that they want to do nothing but obstruct.

At this point I think its best to negotiate and move on.

Trump is not getting HIS wall.
America will get what our Elected representatives agree is the best way forward for allocating our resources effectively.

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm

"I voted numerous times… to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders." -Hillary Clinton, 2008

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
"I voted numerous times… to spend money to build a barrier to try to prevent illegal immigrants from coming in. And I do think you have to control your borders." -Hillary Clinton, 2008

And a barrier was put up. We don't need Trump's fake imaginary wall that has no definition.

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:31 pm

casinterest wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

And a barrier was put up. We don't need Trump's fake imaginary wall that has no definition.

A wall was a central component of his platform so, at best, you can say that the country is divided on this issue. All the more reason to negotiate.

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
casinterest wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

A wall was a central component of his platform so, at best, you can say that the country is divided on this issue. All the more reason to negotiate.

Again, you know what else was a central component of that part of the platform? Yep, Mexico is going to pay for that big, beautiful wall.

winginit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
casinterest wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Yeah let’s go ahead and not pretend that a wall paid for by taxpayers was part of Trump’s platform.

It’s the difference between me saying “vote for me and I’ll let you buy a Ferrari!” and “vote for me and I’ll buy you a Ferrari!”

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:37 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
casinterest wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Trump isn't negotiating, and the majority of American's did not vote for him(3+Million)
He was also supposed to get Mexico to fund it 100%. Where is his negotiating skills on that?

winginit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 pm

The President’s asks now seem to far exceed just the $5.7B for a wall.

Source

bagoldex

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Only $4600 per foot for the steel barrier. Sounds like a hell of a deal!

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:39 pm

winginit wrote:
The President’s asks now seem to far exceed just the $5.7B for a wall.

Source

recent surge? In what Amnesty migrants from warn roen countries?

NIKV69

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:04 pm

casinterest wrote:
Trump isn't negotiating, and the majority of American's did not vote for him(3+Million)
He was also supposed to get Mexico to fund it 100%. Where is his negotiating skills on that?

Once again your electoral college argument is invalid. California doesn't get to pick our president.

scbriml

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:08 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Yes, nothing like the media being “strictly controlled” by, I presume, the government who is so neutral.

GF

Try reading my words carefully, I didn't say that. The media is not controlled, they can say what they like about the Government or other political parties.

How much time the Government itself gets on TV is controlled and the opposition gets the same and smaller parties a proportionate amount. The amount of political advertising is also controlled, strict budgets are applied for elections.

Your presumption is also wrong - it's controlled by the Electoral Commision, an independent body.
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/

alfa164

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It was a slippery slope when this deranged man-child got elected in 2016...

:roll:

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Once again your electoral college argument is invalid. California doesn't get to pick our president.

Once again, you misunderstand the meaning of Majority.
But you can celebrate the 100 thousand voters in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania that gave this lying racist the presidency.

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Governor's association is calling for an end to the shutdown

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... o-shutdown

"Govs. Steve Bullock (D-Mont.) and Larry Hogan (R-Md.), the chairman and vice chairman of the association, respectively, advised federal leaders to re-open the government while they hash out more divisive issues, warning that the standoff was hurting workers.

"On behalf of the nation’s governors, we urge you to find a compromise and immediately end the partial government shutdown. A federal government shutdown is a failure in governance and a weight on our economy and the American people." Bullock and Hogan wrote to Trump, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)."

The plan by the senate was to pass a continuing resolution to keep government open
This was the one Trump dunked into the can

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:15 pm

I think public opinion is on the right side of the aisle this government shutdown. Even the media seems subdued in their coverage of it compared to previous shutdowns. I think a lot of American's find themselves scratching their heads wondering why Democrats are opposed to a paltry 5.7 billion - 1/10th of 1 percent of the federal budget - border wall when they've voted in favor of wall/fencing in the past.

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
I think public opinion is on the right side of the aisle this government shutdown. Even the media seems subdued in their coverage of it compared to previous shutdowns. I think a lot of American's find themselves scratching their heads wondering why Democrats are opposed to a paltry 5.7 billion - 1/10th of 1 percent of the federal budget - border wall when they've voted in favor of wall/fencing in the past.

I think you have been watching too much fox news.
American's don't like the shutdown, but they blame the GOP.

[b"The average of polls taken since the shutdown began indicate that Americans are blaming Republicans for the shutdown. In the average, about 50% think Trump is most to blame, 35% think congressional Democrats are most to blame and about 5% think congressional Republicans are most to blame."[/b]

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/08/politics ... index.html

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 pm

That first paycheck will be missed this friday for federal workers.

https://thehill.com/homenews/the-memo/4 ... mp-in-bind

MSPNWA

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:31 pm

casinterest wrote:

Would help to believe if you had a legitimate source.

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Would help to believe if you had a legitimate source.

Sorry,but unlike you, I use American Sources. Not Russian backed pravda channels that forced the President to put hard working folks out of a job.

Tugger

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

I am one of those that is completely against the funding as is being defined by Trump (which isn't actually defined).

I do not support a bottomless pit to throw money into (there is no wall plan yet and apparently that plan is changing by the second... steel bars, fencing...?).
I do not support the taking of land from private owners by eminent domain and/or walling good usable land from our use.
I do not support a "solid concrete wall" for the majority of the border.

You want my support?
Agree on a plan, of some kind at least, and if no agreement have a clear, legitimate design and details of what your plan is. Barriers where, walls where, natural barriers where. Most of that is available from previous plan and iterations and information can be used from those to present something that can be done.

Tugg

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 pm

Here is an agreement we can all get behind. No pay for lawmakers during a shutdown. I wonder if they should include the Cabinet, VP, and President as well.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/pol ... 509121002/

"In his first act as a U.S. senator, Indiana Republican Mike Braun is expected to introduce a bipartisan bill that would prevent members of Congress — including himself — from being paid during government shutdowns.

Braun's bill, co-authored by West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin, would also prohibit retroactive pay for lawmakers."

trpmb6

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

casinterest wrote:
Here is an agreement we can all get behind. No pay for lawmakers during a shutdown. I wonder if they should include the Cabinet, VP, and President as well.

"In his first act as a U.S. senator, Indiana Republican Mike Braun is expected to introduce a bipartisan bill that would prevent members of Congress — including himself — from being paid during government shutdowns.

Braun's bill, co-authored by West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin, would also prohibit retroactive pay for lawmakers."

Agreed.

(President donates his money anyways)

@Tugg, I still support Border funding + a Daca solution similar to the bill we saw in the past.

winginit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

I don’t think that’s correct given Trump in no uncertain terms told the Democratic leadership to their faces that he would own the shutdown, and a Reuters poll today backs that up. Even so, I don’t think public opinion at this point matters unless the product of that opinion is Senators feeling insecure about continuing to support the impasse.

Susan Collins and Cory Gardner have already caved, and I think the pressure on other Republican Senators will increase notably once paychecks are missed on Friday.

Tugger

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:15 pm

casinterest wrote:

Well that is in line with what the Republican's favorite new Democrat wants too:
“It’s completely unacceptable that members of Congress can force a government shutdown on partisan lines & then have Congressional salaries exempt from that decision,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote on Twitter.

“Have some integrity,” she added, calling for salaries to be furloughed for the next shutdown.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/budg ... hed-during

Tugg

casinterest
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Trump has sent out a Fundraising letter for his speech tonight.

Abuse of power?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/foxs-faulkn ... political/

wingman

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 pm

I don't see a problem with $5.7B in exchange for DACA either. I think Dems would be smart to give Trump the money and then make sure the public is fully aware of the results with pictures and stats. IMO $5.7B won't do sweet fuck all to prevent terrorist invasions or swarms of hungry mommies and their toddlers. No one even knows what this $5.7B is meant to cover, no one has ever produced any kind of plan for it except conflicting tweets. Small price to pay for a win/win today that would be permanent for DACA and without question an absolute joke for Trump's magical wall once the dollars are blown by October and there's some jackass standing in front of 45 new miles of fence and still another 1740 miles left to go.

bgm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
A wall was a central component of his platform

He also said that Mexico was going to pay for it. 100%.

A3801000

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Before you watch the soap opera tonight, maybe make yourself familiar with the facts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... n-address/

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 pm

wingman wrote:
I don't see a problem with $5.7B in exchange for DACA either.

Agreed. The Democrats are so blinded by their hate for Donald Trump that they are potentially giving up the deal of the century.

It’s even more absurd because they all believe in a barrier along the border. For example, Mark Morgan, Border Patrol chief for former President Barack Obama, told Fox News' Tucker Carlson on Monday that physical border barriers "absolutely work" and that President Donald Trump is "right" when it comes to the southern border.

salttee

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:15 pm

I don't see any reason to pour 5.7 billions of taxpayers dollars down a sewer just to bolster Trumps macho image to his base.

We could use that money for far more useful things.

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm

salttee wrote:
I don't see any reason to pour 5.7 billions of taxpayers dollars down a sewer just to bolster Trumps macho image to his base.

It would be a pittance for DACA. Somehow those people seem to not matter at all to the Democrats. It’s all about hatred.

winginit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
salttee wrote:

It would be a pittance for DACA. Somehow those people seem to not matter at all to the Democrats. It’s all about hatred.

Honest question - has there been any indication that Trump would take a deal that exchanged $5.7B in border wall funding for the same DACA deal that was proposed by Democrats earlier this year? (Which was for those who have forgotten, a 10 to 14 year path to citizenship for illegal immigrants brought into this country as children by their parents).

Your verbiage there gives me the impression that you think Trump would take that deal, but why would he do that if he rejected $25B earlier in the year for the same thing?

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Here you go:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... al-1056433

I think he’d take the deal because both sides could claim victory. That’s what deals tend to be made of.

winginit

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Here you go:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... al-1056433

I think he’d take the deal because both sides could claim victory. That’s what deals tend to be made of.

Per your own source above Trump's claim that it was the Democrats who walked away from the deal, implying that he may have otherwise accepted it, is a bit questionable based on the precedent he set with the late 2017 deal:

Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler noted that Trump, bowing to pressure from immigration hard-liners, backed out of an earlier September 2017 deal with Democrats on DACA, and that this occurred long before the 9th Circuit ruled on the matter. Trump's earlier retreat also occurred before the three district court judges ruled to block the Trump administration's phaseout of DACA.

I also question whether Republicans as a whole would accept a DACA-for-Wall trade simply on the grounds that many Republicans don't even feel that strongly about a wall evidenced by the fact that they passed a funding bill 100-0 in the Senate that didn't include border wall dollars. If they really wanted it, they'd offer up something the Democrats want in exchange for it. They don't really want it, so they're not offering anything up.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 am

casinterest wrote:
Once again, you misunderstand the meaning of Majority.
But you can celebrate the 100 thousand voters in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania that gave this lying racist the presidency.

You forgot Florida and Ohio. Their votes are just as important as yours that is why California doesn't get to pick our leader. Thank God.

johnboy

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:41 am

VTKillarney wrote:

What’s your point Dreadnought? I think most people see a need for some kind of border security. As a moderate , I’m not sure why you can’t see both sides of the argument clearly and concisely.

alfa164

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:14 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Here you go: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... al-1056433

What you think is irrelevant. He already backed out of that deal.

VTKillarney

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:20 am

alfa164 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

You are missing the important point. It’s something that Trump is willing to consider. For the Democrats to not pursue that trade is sheer idiocy.

Tugger

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:26 am

VTKillarney wrote:
You are missing the important point.

To echo your statement: You are missing an important point: There is no wall or actual plan for a wall. Do you know, as in actually know what you are advocating for specifically?
"$5.7B" is for what exactly? "The wall"? A barrier? Maintenance on the existing barriers? Adding to or upgrading the existing barriers? Have any of the 6 prototypes that were previewed earlier in the year been selected? What did the testing show?

Give me the actual plan. What is the money exactly for? Do you/ would you support any project that is presented and funded as you are advocating? If the Democrats put forth a bill that said "$5.7B for a wall as the House majority specifies" would you support that?

Tugg

alfa164

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 am

VTKillarney wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

You are missing the important point. It’s something that Trump is willing to consider. For the Democrats to not pursue that trade is sheer idiocy.

For them to trust him, after he reneged on the deal previously, would be sheer idiocy. Only Trump's lemmings cannot understand this.

In the meantime, voters understand who is to blame. The Democrats are in no hurry to get him out of the corner he backed himself into:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-s ... KKCN1P223N

VTKillarney

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 am

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

A3801000

Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:23 am

Sniff lie lie sniff lie lie sniff lie lie

What a speech