I don’t know if you’re doing it intentionally or not, but you’re not completing the sentence to reflect reality. Trump was seeking commitment to talk about funding the border fence with taxpayer dollars. Let’s make sure that’s clear. He wasn’t just wanting to shoot the shit about overall border security.
1) A commitment to talking about a border wall that will require use of imminent domaine against private landholders - something most of us tru conservatives oppose;
2) A commitment to talk about a border wall that every single congressman whose district touches the border - including Republican Will Hurd - opposes;
3) A commitment to talk about a border wall that would do nothing to stop immigrants from overstaying their visas - the largest group of people illegally inside the USA;
4) A commitment to talk about a border wall that, if Trump gets his way completely, will cost at least $25 billion dollars - and that is the estimate from his friends at Faux "News" / https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trumps- ... atistician
5) A commitment to talk about a border wall that most Americans oppose / https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-p ... -the-wall/
6) A commitment to talk about a border wall that most Americans felt Trump should have compromised on, rather than create the shutdown / https://www.npr.org/2018/12/11/67533430 ... e-shutdown
No, no one needs to commit to the border wall. At some point, Trump has to realize he
is supposed to be President of the United States, not some TV personality (and I use the term "personality" loosely) whose duty it is to kow-tow to the lowest base of the white nationalists and immigration hard-liners. Someday, he needs to think about all Americans - but I don't expect him to realize that until he is on his way out the door...