seb146

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:25 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I just wonder how many Republican Senators would change their vote yesterday based on the events of today? I know McConnell will not bring another resolution to the floor because he feels obliged to protect individual #1 at all costs and not We The People, so we know that is not going to happen, but I still have to wonder....

Things are going to get brutal. All those folks in Civ-Av that booked A220 Delta flights are not going to get on them due to delays at the FAA :)

I think honestly the GOP knows they are screwed. I think they are hoping Trump takes the heat and declares the national emergency so they don't have to explain their non-action for 5 weeks.

And those Republicans up for reelection will spin this that somehow they helped We The People and stood against the criminal. And some voters will buy it!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Might need a new thread.

It could be over :)
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... ose-garden

President Trump will speak in the Rose Garden about the partial government shutdown at 1:30 p.m ET on Friday -- an indication that a possible short-term deal may have been reached to end the stalemate, even as reports emerged that there is no funding for a border wall in the deal.
Where ever you go, there you are.

cledaybuck

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
Might need a new thread.

President Trump will speak in the Rose Garden about the partial government shutdown at 1:30 p.m ET on Friday -- an indication that a possible short-term deal may have been reached to end the stalemate, even as reports emerged that there is no funding for a border wall in the deal.
The Rose Garden? He wants this to be quick.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Might need a new thread.

The Rose Garden? He wants this to be quick.

I hope he yells at Jim Acosta that always makes watch it worthwhile.
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

DeutchLund

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:52 pm

This is a big win.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:04 pm

DeutchLund wrote:
This is a big win.

will have to see . There are reports that they will approve the original senate Bill from December for the next 3 weeks, but if no deal on trump's request is made, Trump may declare national emergency. But at least federal workers can get paid, and Trump can take the heat off of the Senators.

I wonder if the RNC will then have to run someone against Trump?

NIKV69

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:08 pm

DeutchLund wrote:
This is a big win.

Not until he declares an emergency.

casinterest wrote:
DeutchLund wrote:
This is a big win.

Doubtful, I still think Trump has a shot at a second term though he has done everything to blow it. Also the RNC doesn't have anybody in the wings that can beat him in the primary.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:11 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DeutchLund wrote:
This is a big win.

casinterest wrote:
DeutchLund wrote:
This is a big win.

Doubtful, I still think Trump has a shot at a second term though he has done everything to blow it. Also the RNC doesn't have anybody in the wings that can beat him in the primary.

So we may wind up with a 3rd party independent run. I don't think Trump has enough backing to win a 2nd term, and with all the reports out about stone,cohen and others, he may be damaged goods when it comes to the General Election. Not many Senators or Representatives will want to run on those coat tails.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:20 pm

casinterest wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
DeutchLund wrote:
This is a big win.

casinterest wrote:

So we may wind up with a 3rd party independent run. I don't think Trump has enough backing to win a 2nd term, and with all the reports out about stone,cohen and others, he may be damaged goods when it comes to the General Election. Not many Senators or Representatives will want to run on those coat tails.

You will get a third party run regardless. I will like to see the Mueller report before I decide but he has done everything to make himself a one termer.

winginit

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:24 pm

"Cavin' Donald" tweet from Coulter in 3... 2... 1...

Tugger

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:27 pm

So we've got three weeks now to actually sort things out. It can be done but I'll believe it when i see it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Tugger wrote:
So we've got three weeks now to actually sort things out. It can be done but I'll believe it when i see it.

Tugg

I wonder what will happen. Will McConnell and Pelosi give any extra funding or will the senate and house just vote for the amount given and dare Trump to declare a National Emergency ?

727LOVER

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm watching Trump right now....he doesn't sound crazy !!!!!
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 pm

And Pelosi gets what she wants. Of course, it's just (as usual) yet another "kicking the can down the road", but I guess even Trump knows that it's (for now) a lost cause.

Meanwhile, my bet is that Trump will declare an emergency (Sometimes before Feb 15) to fund the wall. That way, Trump can still claim that he "won" despite all the Dems insistance of open border, and then we'll see the onslaughts of tweets every single time he lose a lawsuit for that emergency fund about "liberal judges".

Side note, maybe Trump is fearing that if more ATC call off sick, he may not get to fly down to Mar-a-Lago for awhile :scratchchin:
Last edited by zakuivcustom on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 pm

727LOVER wrote:

He has been brow beaten into submission by polls, senators and congressman.
I expect heavy tweeting in the coming hours.

winginit

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 pm

727LOVER wrote:

"If we don't get a fair deal from congress, the government will either shutdown again on February 15th, or I will use the powers afforded to me by the laws of the United States to declare a state of emergency"

Good luck scheduling a lawful State of Emergency three weeks in advance Donald...

Tugger

casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I wonder what will happen. Will McConnell and Pelosi give any extra funding or will the senate and house just vote for the amount given and dare Trump to declare a National Emergency ?

My hope is there will be "extra funding" as you are calling it to support the needed border security. Barriers, maintenance, personnel, improvements to visa monitoring, employment verification tools, etc. the important and always needed things. The hard part for the Dems will be to accept that Trump will be loudly extolling any funding that can be used for "the wall", whether it is or not ultimately. The Republican's have to refrain from reinforcing such a situation and the Dems have to refrain from going for the bait. There must be compromise, it is the only way for life to function let alone government.

I am also guessing that along with any finding there will be other issues addressed, for sure the DACA issue, and hopefully some other immigration related elements. I do not expect a great immigration reform situation or anything like that, just a some of the holes plugged in what we have.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

dtw2hyd

So, does LGA ground stop did the trick? Was N757AF there?

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:39 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
And Pelosi gets what she wants. Of course, it's just (as usual) yet another "kicking the can down the road", but I guess even Trump knows that it's (for now) a lost cause.

Meanwhile, my bet is that Trump will declare an emergency (Sometimes before Feb 15) to fund the wall. That way, Trump can still claim that he "won" despite all the Dems insistance of open border, and then we'll see the onslaughts of tweets every single time he lose a lawsuit for that emergency fund about "liberal judges".

Side note, maybe Trump is fearing that if more ATC call off sick, he may not get to fly down to Mar-a-Lago for awhile :scratchchin:

To be fair, he hasn't gone to Mar-A-Lago during the shutdown. Perhaps that is the biggest stir of the pot. He must have a tourney scheduled there this weekend.

Tugger

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 pm

The next aspect of this will be how fast things can be returned to function. Get people paid, get whatever back pay approved, get everyone back to work, and departments back in order (now having to clear through potentially two weeks of back log).

Tugg

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 pm

Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

My hope is there will be "extra funding" as you are calling it to support the needed border security. Barriers, maintenance, personnel, improvements to visa monitoring, employment verification tools, etc. the important and always needed things. The hard part for the Dems will be to accept that Trump will be loudly extolling any funding that can be used for "the wall", whether it is or not ultimately. The Republican's have to refrain from reinforcing such a situation and the Dems have to refrain from going for the bait. There must be compromise, it is the only way for life to function let alone government.

I am also guessing that along with any finding there will be other issues addressed, for sure the DACA issue, and hopefully some other immigration related elements. I do not expect a great immigration reform situation or anything like that, just a some of the holes plugged in what we have.

Tugg

Make no mistake, we are going into 2020 full swing now. There will be digs in the bill. I don't think there will be Wall funding, however i expect a sweetener of Cash for how DHS best finds to apply it for Border Security.

If I was the head of DHS, I would use it for surveillance drones, and cross border cooperation on trafficking and gangs. The funny thing about a wall is you can't see the other side clearly, but with surveillance and cooperation, you can know what is headed your way.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:49 pm

casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Dems will not give a dime for a wall now so this goes to a Emergency declaration IMO.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:50 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Dems will not give a dime for a wall now so this goes to a Emergency declaration IMO.

And the following will be replayed for months on TV. Especially the first 2 and a half minutes, where Bennet Rips Cruz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlCn-HZDuY

winginit

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 pm

winginit wrote:

Oh wow it’s even better than I had hoped:

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:02 pm

winginit wrote:
winginit wrote:

Do you think Trump will think she is hitting on him?

scbriml

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Trump Caves!

Sounds like another failed business venture. :rotfl:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

scbriml

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm

winginit wrote:
winginit wrote:

Is she still a thing?
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ak

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Republicans,Democrats…...Same s**t, different piles.
" I am serious...and don't call me Shirley!

Tugger

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 pm

winginit wrote:

The right wing media personalities know that goading Trump works. They are not out to support or improve the USA, just their own bank account and the more "Trump'ed up" he gets, the more talk and uproar occurs and they live off that. If things go smoothly and there is cooperation and teamwork, they lose.

I expect every right-wing voice job to be loudly declaring Trump to be a loser or to have lost or to have abandoned his core, etc.

Tugg

cledaybuck

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Was there a reason we couldn't have done this before Christmas without a government shutdown?

ER757

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm

winginit wrote:
winginit wrote:

Does anyone take this hose bag seriously anymore? Richard Belzer described her best - called her a Nazi Party Doll

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Tugger wrote:
winginit wrote:

The right wing media personalities know that goading Trump works. They are not out to support or improve the USA, just their own bank account and the more "Trump'ed up" he gets, the more talk and uproar occurs and they live off that. If things go smoothly and there is cooperation and teamwork, they lose.

I expect every right-wing voice job to be loudly declaring Trump to be a loser or to have lost or to have abandoned his core, etc.

Tugg

The right wing media needs to go. I just find it hilarious how conservatives hang their hats on the words of people that broadcast from very liberal cities. Have they not figured out that those folks live in those cities for a reason?

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Was there a reason we couldn't have done this before Christmas without a government shutdown?

Because Wall

Signed---Donald T.

scbriml

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 pm

cledaybuck wrote:

One word - Trump.

cledaybuck

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:49 pm

scbriml wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

One word - Trump.
How about the government act as three independent branches as intended. I think this exact legislation passed something like 87-12 in the Senate before Trump threw his temper tantrum. By my calculations that is more than enough to overcome any presidential veto.

ltbewr

Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Perhaps the key thing that made Trump back down is now he can give the originally scheduled SOTU speech in the House chamber. I expect most Democrats will not be kind to Trump if he starts bashing them, a number won't attend or walk out.

To get to a final deal, likely some additional monies above the previous proposals for and additional, replacement or major repairs of about 216 miles of border wall with Mexico, especially in or near urbanized border areas. That could free up border agents to patrol areas were walls or fencing not practical, where significant natural barriers, the volumes of crossings low and not have to buy or obtain land. Likely as well in a final plan will be some upward adjustments and laws to increase the numbers of in-country agents to go after expired visa violators, to take in persons illegally here who are arrested on local or state crimes, increase the number of Immigration Judges and other ideas.

The real long-term need is to make it so people don't have to leave their countries for their financial or personal security to the relative safety of the USA.

Slug71

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 pm

scbriml wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

One word - Trump.

Wrong. This is all chuck and Nancy and the Senate.

winginit

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Slug71 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

One word - Trump.

Fox News says otherwise.

Slug71

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:23 pm

winginit wrote:
Slug71 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

One word - Trump.

Fox News says otherwise.

Dont really care what they say. That poll was mostly like bombarded with leftists. Regardless, Fox is also MSM. Part of the problem.

The Democrats got their $6.1 Billion for the Border when Obama was in office. Every other President probably got what they wanted. But oh no, Trump cant have nothing.

treetreeseven

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Slug71 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
cledaybuck wrote:

One word - Trump.

No it isn't.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Slug71 wrote:
winginit wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

Fox News says otherwise.

Dont really care what they say. That poll was mostly like bombarded with leftists. Regardless, Fox is also MSM. Part of the problem.

The Democrats got their $6.1 Billion for the Border when Obama was in office. Every other President probably got what they wanted. But oh no, Trump cant have nothing.

winginit: You didn't know that any poll that show negativity towards Drumpf is "fake poll", unreliable, and unscientific?

More seriously, us "leftist" have better things to do than bombarding polls, rather than staying at some trailer with some of the only remaining landlines in US.

Slug71

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:29 pm

treetreeseven wrote:
Slug71 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

One word - Trump.

No it isn't.

All they had to do was approve the funding. So yes it is.
Obama got his $6.1 billion. What was their compromise?

zakuivcustom wrote:
Slug71 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Fox News says otherwise.

winginit: You didn't know that any poll that show negativity towards Drumpf is "fake poll", unreliable, and unscientific?

More seriously, us "leftist" have better things to do than bombarding polls, rather than staying at some trailer with some of the only remaining landlines in US.

One only needs to look at the comments section on Fox Social media pages... :roll:
It's just a poll. At the end of the day it means nothing.

winginit

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Slug71 wrote:

At the end of the day one might argue that it was polls that lead to Trump caving in such humiliating fashion today...

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:35 pm

winginit wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

At the end of the day one might argue that it was polls that lead to Trump caving in such humiliating fashion today...

In every sense of the word. He lost. Trump is a LOSER.

He wanted the shutdown, he owned the shutdown, he CAVED on the shutdown.

If his base believes otherwise, then they are not a base that can be trusted with ensuring the USA's future.

Slug71

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:36 pm

winginit wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

Yeh no way he did it so that people can get paid. Hes just a big old meany to do something like that. This isn't over. It's only funded until the 15th of next month.

casinterest wrote:
winginit wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

In every sense of the word. He lost. Trump is a LOSER.

He wanted the shutdown, he owned the shutdown, he CAVED on the shutdown.

If his base believes otherwise, then they are not a base that can be trusted with ensuring the USA's future.

Oh he is? Amazing that he became President against everyone saying otherwise....Pretty sure he won that.

There would have been no future had Hillary won...

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:45 pm

Slug71 wrote:

Oh he is? Amazing that he became President against everyone saying otherwise....Pretty sure he won that.

There would have been no future had Hillary won...

There is so much Trump Cave in that statement.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Slug71 wrote:
treetreeseven wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

No it isn't.

This still goes back to fringes on both sides. Left wants open borders and right wants legal immigration. The base of the democratic party wants illegal immigration to be tolerated and welfare and health care for illegal aliens. If they didn't we wouldn't have sanctuary cities. The right wants legal immigration. If you read into the fringe media and it's spin that the right is racist and all the other smoke well you will believe what you believe.

casinterest
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Slug71 wrote:
treetreeseven wrote:
No it isn't.

This still goes back to fringes on both sides. Left wants open borders and right wants legal immigration. The base of the democratic party wants illegal immigration to be tolerated and welfare and health care for illegal aliens. If they didn't we wouldn't have sanctuary cities. The right wants legal immigration. If you read into the fringe media and it's spin that the right is racist and all the other smoke well you will believe what you believe.

And the New York City Media conglomerate continues to control your thoughts. This is the most bogus set of lies .

winginit

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Slug71 wrote:
Yeh no way he did it so that people can get paid. Hes just a big old meany to do something like that. This isn't over. It's only funded until the 15th of next month.

Look I get that you're young, and I get that you just became a U.S. Citizen so this is all very exciting for you, but Trump caved, and this is over. After the blowback that Trump got from this shutdown there's no way it's going to happen again, and if he declares a State of Emergency any money that he thinks he'll be able to secure will be tied up in the courts while setting the precedent for future administrations to declares States of Emergencies for things like Healthcare and Climate Change.

Trump caved. This is over. Just ask Ann Coulter.

Lilienthal

Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Slug71 wrote:

Go watch Info Wars. Alex is probably still saying what you want to hear...