User avatar
cpd
Posts: 5699
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:46 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:22 am

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:

You are trying to say that federal employees in particular need to be careful because this sort of thing happens (even though the likelihood of being furloughed is lower in a federal job than a private one). In doing so, you are attempting to blame the victims of this shutdown for not being prepared. I can only imagine you are doing this because you are looking for any way to move blame for their hardship away from the president.

You can tell me I'm making that up and putting words in your mouth, but I'm 100% positive I'm not. Again, I'm just pulling the curtain back.

Your personal jabs aside, all I said is that it is prudent for a federal employee to prepare for the possibility of a government shutdown. That is all I said, and I stand by that statement. Read what I have written carefully, and do not read what you WANT me to have written.

I stand by my comment. It is prudent for a federal employee to prepare for the possibility of a shutdown.

I get that you really want to argue about this. I don't. 99.99% of people would agree with my comment. I just happened to find the 0.01%.


Workers must be more militant about not being paid - and this is where unions are handy, then you've got someone with some ability to go to court and force the issue, either by seizing assets and selling them to recover debts, etc.
 
A3801000
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 am

salttee wrote:
Kinda off topic but I'll stick this comment here rather than starting a new thread. I was reading an article in The Daily Beast and came across a statement by Kris Kobach a prominent Trumpista.

He said: “I joined the (go fund me wall) organization because its mission is of the highest importance to our country, the wall needs to be completed, and it needs to be done as soon as possible."

Of the highest importance and needs to be done as soon as possible.

What struck me about that is how similar it sounds to how the conservatives have sold wars in my lifetime. It reminds me of Nixon on Vietnam or Bush on Saddam.

Vietnam was never a threat to this country, neither was Saddam. And the wall is also unnecessary.
It's kinda like when I hear a certain cadence from the cons, I know something's up.


If a wall is 'of the highest importance', why has individual #1 not done anything in hist first 2 years as a caricature of a president.
If it is a 'national emergency' why did he not declare it yet?

This is just BS, he is chicken scared and on his way to prison and he knows it.
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:32 am

A3801000 wrote:

If a wall is 'of the highest importance', why has individual #1 not done anything in hist first 2 years as a caricature of a president.

60 votes in the Senate. We’ve been over this multiple times.
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 am

VTKillarney wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

If a wall is 'of the highest importance', why has individual #1 not done anything in hist first 2 years as a caricature of a president.

60 votes in the Senate. We’ve been over this multiple times.


He doesn’t have 60 votes now either. And, yet, here we are...
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 am

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

If a wall is 'of the highest importance', why has individual #1 not done anything in hist first 2 years as a caricature of a president.

60 votes in the Senate. We’ve been over this multiple times.


He doesn’t have 60 votes now either. And, yet, here we are...

Exactly. That’s why he is forcing a compromise. That’s the path to 60 votes.
Last edited by VTKillarney on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
seb146
Posts: 18671
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 am

VTKillarney wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

If a wall is 'of the highest importance', why has individual #1 not done anything in hist first 2 years as a caricature of a president.

60 votes in the Senate. We’ve been over this multiple times.


How many times was border security funding voted on in the Senate? We have been over this multiple times.

As far as your earlier comment about disregarding history (Nixon or something...) you must understand history. Republicans rule by fear and low information. Remember why Republicans demanded we invade Iraq? Fear and low information. Remember why Republicans demanded "papers please" laws? Fear and low information. Remember why Republicans demanded bathroom laws? Fear and low information. Remember why Republicans demanded marriage for only certain Americans? Fear and low information.

Before you start in on your moderate "both sides do it" ignorance, no. Both sides do not do it. Democrats don't care if consenting adults marry, which gender uses the bathroom, don't care if brown people are alive, and knew Iraq was a sovereign nation that had nothing to do with 9/11 or WMDs.

Go read history.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
A3801000
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:15 am

VTKillarney wrote:
A3801000 wrote:

If a wall is 'of the highest importance', why has individual #1 not done anything in hist first 2 years as a caricature of a president.

60 votes in the Senate. We’ve been over this multiple times.


He never tried. He never once mentioned 'national emergency' just in the last 2 weeks. When Mueller is getting close. ;)
 
alfa164
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 am

casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Total crossing are down but the type of crossings has changed though. Never before have we had organized caravans.
(In this case I'm just adding a distinction to this discussion, I'm not trying to discuss the merits of the caravans or their asylum seeking claims)

The Organized Caravans are going to known border crossings. if Anything we need more people for processing, not walls.


And the Border Patrol Union has a long record of opposing the wall - until just now.... I wonder why?

"A union that represents Border Patrol agents recently deleted a webpage that said building walls and fences along the border to stop illegal immigration would be “wasting taxpayer money.”"

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/ ... es-1081250
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:38 am

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Total crossing are down but the type of crossings has changed though. Never before have we had organized caravans.

(In this case I'm just adding a distinction to this discussion, I'm not trying to discuss the merits of the caravans or their asylum seeking claims)

The Organized Caravans are going to known border crossings. if Anything we need more people for processing, not walls.


When Mexico has already offered them asylum, why should we take them? They already have safe harbor.


Mexico offered temporary asylum, and safe harbor passage for them to apply for Asylum in Mexico or another country. Our country then evaluates it should they make the US border. Many people do stay in mexico. As this article indicates from May, less than 20% of the caravan made it to the US border.
Some people are not safe in Mexico due to the type of asylum they are requesting.

Some can even proceed all the way to Canada .

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... story.html
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 am

The shutdown is now the longest in US history.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/12/68455851 ... -s-history
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 5907
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Is the shut down effecting international arrivals at airports, are lines longer and people taking longer to clear?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:11 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Is the shut down effecting international arrivals at airports, are lines longer and people taking longer to clear?


Some are having issues, but it looks like the Government is going to pay out bonuses to those that worked during the holidays in order to try to keep moral higher.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/us/tsa-e ... index.html


Kind of hard when we have a President that is cared for and pampered laying, and lying around the White House spewing racist items
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 13694
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:03 am

The 'wall' demand of President Trump is about how and why growing numbers of persons are trying to enter our country, especially since 2015 via Mexico and mainly of persons from Mexico and Central America.

It used to be that most of those illegally entering or residing were single men and in lesser numbers, women. Now it is more about children, spouses, whole families trying to enter. Along with than are couples once in the USA having children in the USA, so the children are automatically USA citizens and making deportation more difficult.
Many are leaving due to obscene levels of violence (particularly as to drug gangs), poverty, climate change/environmental changes (including droughts in Central America ruining farms), lack of decent paying jobs, corrupt and repressive governments, ethnic or religious repression, or on the wrong political side.
Due to treaties the USA is part of, these new migrants understand to use the 'asylum card' can at least allow them to stay and make money while their cases are pending (usually for years) in immigration court.
Employers wanting cheap, obedient, hard working and exploitable help, doing jobs most Americans won't do or just too many Americans are not good workers.
Lack of enforcement as to those here illegally and failure to set up a 'work visa' program. Lack of follow up to those violating visas to make sure they returned home after they expired. Too many who with good intentions help those here illegally including church groups like the Roman Catholic Church.
Too many who make money from helping persons get to the border and beyond.

While some extension and improvements to the wall between Mexico and the USA is sound policy, Trump seemed to make it seem to put up a 2000 or so mile wall along it. That isn't going to cost only $5 to 6 Billion, more like $20-25 Billion and still of limited use. Better and beyond the wall of Trump are to follow the recommendations DHS and political common sense. Improve patrolling and tech methods along our borders. Enforce laws as to employers or make it too expensive to hire or illegally residing persons with stiff penalties and taxes. Enlarge our immigration courts so asylum and other claims can be processed faster. More detention for asylum seekers before hearings. Figure out ways in the source countries, in particular in Central America, to make it so their people don't have to leave due to the issues that are driving them. Maybe stop the demand for the massive demand for illegal drugs in the USA that drives the gang/cartel violence causing many to leave. These are all things Democrats and Republicans must demand as what is really needed, not just a 'wall' of the imagination of Trump will be his big answer to the problem.
 
B747forever
Posts: 13560
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:06 am

readytotaxi wrote:
Is the shut down effecting international arrivals at airports, are lines longer and people taking longer to clear?


I have flown LHR-LAX, LGW-TPA and NRT-SJC during the shut down. Have not noticed any longer than usual processing time.
Work Hard, Fly Right
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm

The “build a wall” Gofundme page raised $20 million.

The anti-wall Gofundme page raised... $161,000.

https://uk.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get- ... p039s-wall
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
The “build a wall” Gofundme page raised $20 million.

The anti-wall Gofundme page raised... $161,000.

https://uk.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get- ... p039s-wall


ANd what does that mean to you? What do you make of that fact that the ridiculous pro-wall fundraiser made more than the ridiculous anti-wall page?
 
alfa164
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
The “build a wall” Gofundme page raised $20 million. The anti-wall Gofundme page raised... $161,000.
https://uk.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get- ... p039s-wall


ANd what does that mean to you? What do you make of that fact that the ridiculous pro-wall fundraiser made more than the ridiculous anti-wall page?


The ridiculous pro-wall scammer needed $25 billion to build Trump's vanity wall. The ridiculous anti-wall satire needed $500 for a new computer.

It looks like the anti-wall group far exceeded their needs!

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:23 pm

alfa164 wrote:
2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
The “build a wall” Gofundme page raised $20 million. The anti-wall Gofundme page raised... $161,000.
https://uk.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get- ... p039s-wall


ANd what does that mean to you? What do you make of that fact that the ridiculous pro-wall fundraiser made more than the ridiculous anti-wall page?


The ridiculous pro-wall scammer needed $25 billion to build Trump's vanity wall. The ridiculous anti-wall satire needed $500 for a new computer.

It looks like the anti-wall group far exceeded their needs!

;)


The so-called ‘anti-wall’ funding page is going to support immigration lawyers. I wonder how VTK feels about that?
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Due process is great. Why would I feel otherwise?
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Due process is great. Why would I feel otherwise?


Great. I’m just wondering what your point was when comparing the 2 go-fund-me pages. Care you elaborate on how you feel about that?
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Why are we still talking about the damn wall? The crisis here is the shutdown itself.

The trump trolls are out in full force elsewhere on the internet today. The way they insult federal workers for being financially crippled by this was absolutely disgusting. It's like they are testing how much the rest of the population can take from them before getting violent against their coward asses.

I wish these were Russians, but this time I think it is my fellow americans. The people who would be OK watching the country burn to the ground if it gets them librul tearz.
 
winginit
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:34 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Why are we still talking about the damn wall? The crisis here is the shutdown itself.


Great! Agreed!

That being the case, lets go ahead and pass what was previously passed on a bipartisan basis through both the house and senate (100-0), which is funding to completely re-open the government without funding for the wall.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 pm

winginit wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
Why are we still talking about the damn wall? The crisis here is the shutdown itself.


Great! Agreed!

That being the case, lets go ahead and pass what was previously passed on a bipartisan basis through both the house and senate (100-0), which is funding to completely re-open the government without funding for the wall.


Yes. The wall funding has become an issue of not rewarding trump for his destructive tantrum, and as each day passes and damages increase, that becomes increasingly important. He and his supporters should not be able to hold the country hostage because they are having a hissy fit and want a "win" to "own the libz".

I'm calling bullshit on anyone thinking there is a "crisis" at the southern border. They can't all be that stupid and gullible.
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Due process is great. Why would I feel otherwise?


Great. I’m just wondering what your point was when comparing the 2 go-fund-me pages. Care you elaborate on how you feel about that?


Also, why did you link us over to the United Kingdom’s Go-Fund-Me domain? That fundraiser to perfectly acceptable on the US site. In fact, I’m not even sure how you wou;d navigate to the .co.uk site unless you navigated there from the UK. Maybe your Cambridge Anylitica training had some gaps?
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm

2122M wrote:
2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Due process is great. Why would I feel otherwise?


Great. I’m just wondering what your point was when comparing the 2 go-fund-me pages. Care you elaborate on how you feel about that?


Also, why did you link us over to the United Kingdom’s Go-Fund-Me domain? That fundraiser to perfectly acceptable on the US site. In fact, I’m not even sure how you wou;d navigate to the .co.uk site unless you navigated there from the UK. Maybe your Cambridge Anylitica training had some gaps?


I've found a lot of the /pol/ trolls who worship Trump are from the UK and Ireland.
 
seb146
Posts: 18671
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Here is an article for those MAGA fan boys who insist that only a wall is the one way immigration can be fixed

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/10/68366269 ... AOSe6EYf3o

People who have entered the country legally but overstayed their visas has outnumbered illegals every year since 2007. How is the stupid vanity wall going to fix that?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:42 pm

False dichotomy. We’ve been over this repeatedly. It’s one tool in a tool box.
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:20 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
False dichotomy. We’ve been over this repeatedly. It’s one tool in a tool box.


RIght, but if Trump really cares about illegal immigration, why wouldn’t he be shutting down the government to demand a fix to visa overstays?
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 pm

2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
False dichotomy. We’ve been over this repeatedly. It’s one tool in a tool box.


RIght, but if Trump really cares about illegal immigration, why wouldn’t he be shutting down the government to demand a fix to visa overstays?

I suppose he could if you think that it would be a good idea. I’d rather have as few shutdowns as possible.
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
False dichotomy. We’ve been over this repeatedly. It’s one tool in a tool box.


RIght, but if Trump really cares about illegal immigration, why wouldn’t he be shutting down the government to demand a fix to visa overstays?

I suppose he could if you think that it would be a good idea. I’d rather have as few shutdowns as possible.


You suppose he could? Well, why do you think he didn’t? Do you think its because he actually doen’t care about illegal immigration? Or is he just terribly misinformed about it? Why do you think he’s dug in his heels on the wall under the guise of ending illegal immigration, but is apparently ignoring the main factors?

You are supporting Trump on this issue, so defend this please.
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:53 pm

One domino has fallen.

Democrat Senator Chris Coons broke with the party line today and said that a southern border wall is not “immoral.”

Only a couple more are needed. We may get our men and women back to work sooner than I expected.

It’s nice to see Senator Coons speak the truth.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:15 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
One domino has fallen.

Democrat Senator Chris Coons broke with the party line today and said that a southern border wall is not “immoral.”

Only a couple more are needed. We may get our men and women back to work sooner than I expected.

It’s nice to see Senator Coons speak the truth.

https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-tal ... ot-immoral

""I agree with the advice that [Sen.] Lindsey Graham [R-S.C.] just gave to President Trump, which is that he should reopen the government and that we should spend several weeks negotiating over what we can all agree on," Coons said.

"I personally don’t think a border wall is in and of itself immoral," he added.

However, Coons argued that the Trump administration's immigration policies that have led to the separation of migrant families and detainment of migrant children are "immoral."

"

So once the racist ,lying ,and dishonorable coward we have in the White House agrees to open the Government, we can let Congress work out what really is needed for Border Security. Other than that he can have the staff in the White House wait on him hand and foot, while the workers of American wonder where their next paycheck comes from .
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
One domino has fallen.

Democrat Senator Chris Coons broke with the party line today and said that a southern border wall is not “immoral.”

Only a couple more are needed. We may get our men and women back to work sooner than I expected.

It’s nice to see Senator Coons speak the truth.


Yeah, he's right. It's not immoral. It's idiotic.
 
winginit
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
One domino has fallen.

Democrat Senator Chris Coons broke with the party line today and said that a southern border wall is not “immoral.”

Only a couple more are needed. We may get our men and women back to work sooner than I expected.

It’s nice to see Senator Coons speak the truth.


And, because you're of course a self-proclaimed moderate, you'll note that far more dominoes have fallen on the Republican side, with Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, and Cory Gardner having all called for the government to be re-opened without funding for the wall.

Additionally, twelve House Republicans broke with GOP leadership and Trump to fund HUD and the Department of Transportation on Thursday also without wall funding.

I'm perplexed as to why you would only bring up one side of the story? You know, as a moderate?
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Those Republicans will fall back in line once 5 Democrats have been peeled away.
 
winginit
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:57 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Those Republicans will fall back in line once 5 Democrats have been peeled away.


We'll agree to disagree on that one. As for Coons, if you're of the opinion that he's a fallen domino you really didn't watch the whole Fox News interview, and interesting that you chose not to use any quotes in your post. casinterest posted the notable quotes that I think best portray Coons' position, but I'll post what is his most notable one that he kicks off the interview with:

I agree with the advice that [Sen.] Lindsey Graham [R-S.C.] just gave to President Trump, which is that he should reopen the government and that we should spend several weeks negotiating over what we can all agree on.


If that to you is breaking from the Democratic position around this shutdown, then your partisanship is clouding your judgement. Maybe best to keep that partisanship within the riveting and super moderate conversation you're having with yourself
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:47 am

winginit wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Those Republicans will fall back in line once 5 Democrats have been peeled away.


We'll agree to disagree on that one. As for Coons, if you're of the opinion that he's a fallen domino you really didn't watch the whole Fox News interview, and interesting that you chose not to use any quotes in your post. casinterest posted the notable quotes that I think best portray Coons' position, but I'll post what is his most notable one that he kicks off the interview with:

I agree with the advice that [Sen.] Lindsey Graham [R-S.C.] just gave to President Trump, which is that he should reopen the government and that we should spend several weeks negotiating over what we can all agree on.


If that to you is breaking from the Democratic position around this shutdown, then your partisanship is clouding your judgement. Maybe best to keep that partisanship within the riveting and super moderate conversation you're having with yourself


To be fair, it looks worse for the other conservatives here where they can't hold a political discussion without librulz to own. Sorta shows a lot of them only care about trolling.
 
A3801000
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:47 am

Federal worker forced to ration insulin because of government shutdown

'“I can’t afford to go to the ER. I can’t afford anything. I just went to bed and hoped I’d wake up,” Mallory Lorge said about her blood sugar going high.'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fe ... pd_nn_tw_m
 
winginit
Posts: 1910
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:50 am

I haven't yet heard an acceptable answer as to why Trump isn't right now willing to re-open the agencies that have nothing to do with the border wall. Why does he insist on putting federal workers through this unnecessary pain? The Democrats (with a handful of Republican support) have been actively working in the House to do exactly that. It's entirely nonsensical for Trump and the Republicans to keep non-DHS agencies shutdown as some sort of bargaining chip.
 
A3801000
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:12 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:53 am

Individual #1 will be very busy tomorrow:

11:40 AM he delivers remarks at the American Farm Bureau Annual Convention
6:30 PM He welcomes the 2018 College Football Playoff National Champion Clemson Tigers to the White House

I kid you not.

(Public schedules don't include all of a president's activities.)
 
alfa164
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:59 am

Jouhou wrote:
They can't all be that stupid and gullible.


Well, Drumpf said he loves the uneducated... and you can just look around at some of his supporters...

;)

A3801000 wrote:
Individual #1 will be very busy tomorrow:
11:40 AM he delivers remarks at the American Farm Bureau Annual Convention
6:30 PM He welcomes the 2018 College Football Playoff National Champion Clemson Tigers to the White House


Well, Clemson built a pretty good "wall" to hold back Alabama; maybe he could save about $5 billion and just send their defensive line to the border...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 am

A3801000 wrote:
Individual #1 will be very busy tomorrow:

11:40 AM he delivers remarks at the American Farm Bureau Annual Convention
6:30 PM He welcomes the 2018 College Football Playoff National Champion Clemson Tigers to the White House

Great to see that he is keeping his schedule open in order to be available for negotiations on the government shutdown. Thanks for sharing that. It’s very encouraging.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 16308
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Great to see that he is keeping his schedule open in order to be available for negotiations on the government shutdown. Thanks for sharing that. It’s very encouraging.


What, so he can storm out of another meeting like a stroppy teenage girl? What a negotiator!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 am

Anyways, this isn't great negotiating skills. He just painted himself into a corner with no way out, just like with the tariffs. This isn't how you make deals, by throwing tantrums.
 
seb146
Posts: 18671
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:00 am

I just came across something I need to research so I don't know anything about it but if anyone can provide unbiased links about Roman Abramovich. From what I am told, he is a friend of Putin, of Russian and Israeli descent, owns a steel mill and is the one who would manufacture the steel slats for the stupid vanity wall. That was what I was told but I am taking that with a grain of salt.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:23 am

seb146 wrote:
I just came across something I need to research so I don't know anything about it but if anyone can provide unbiased links about Roman Abramovich. From what I am told, he is a friend of Putin, of Russian and Israeli descent, owns a steel mill and is the one who would manufacture the steel slats for the stupid vanity wall. That was what I was told but I am taking that with a grain of salt.


There has been some speculation that Trumps insistence on the wall is driven by financial gains for himself. But that is just speculation. He has spent years dealing with both the construction industry and the Russian mafia.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Donald Trump sounds like a broken record

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 6011491330
"Nancy and Cryin’ Chuck can end the Shutdown in 15 minutes. At this point it has become their, and the Democrats, fault!"



He is the one that won't budge from two bills passed by the senate and house to keep government funded, while the wall and border security needs are hashed out over time.

Does anyone remember why only 1.3 Billion was in the original Senate bill for border security? It was what was negotiated and requested originally.

So Trump is blowing a wad over 4.4 billion? Seriously with the national deficit now at 22 Trillion, why not just offer free college to everyone. Trump gave all the wealth tax breaks that could pay for many peoples college education.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.
 
User avatar
VTKillarney
Posts: 1379
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Trump has gone from wanting $20 billion to $5.6 billion. As we sit here today, the Democrats have from over $1 billion to zero.

Based on the numbers, it's pretty clear who is negotiating in good faith and who isn't.
 
2122M
Posts: 990
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:17 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Trump has gone from wanting $20 billion to $5.6 billion. As we sit here today, the Democrats have from over $1 billion to zero.

Based on the numbers, it's pretty clear who is negotiating in good faith and who isn't.


We know you think it's clear. You've made that point. Anything new to add?
 
User avatar
casinterest
Topic Author
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: The Shutdown Part 2 - reasons, effects and details

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Trump has gone from wanting $20 billion to $5.6 billion. As we sit here today, the Democrats have from over $1 billion to zero.

Based on the numbers, it's pretty clear who is negotiating in good faith and who isn't.



Well with all your funds, can you float the 20 billion for the budget?
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos