Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146
Topic Author

Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 am

I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 running Android 7 and some random .jpg files will not show on either the phone or desk top computer. I get an error message "Windows photo viewer can not open this picture because either Photo Viewer does not support his file format or you don't have the latest updates" which I have both. Some pics were taken within 10 minutes of each other. My phone had a "camera can not function" error until I reset it. So why can I not see some .jpg files but not others?

salttee

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 am

Maybe the files are dinged. I'd suggest that you copy the .jpg files to the computer and see if they will display. If they still won't display, you could try to load them into any photo editor (MS Paint will work) and save them again in JPG format, that might fix them. When they're on the computer, you can also try to display them with VLC movie viewer.

ChrisKen

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 am

Sounds like the files have been corrupted. Could be software related, could be hardware.

The lead contender would be the camera module as it's showing signs of failure based on the info given. (Either the hard/firm/software on it)

Might be time for a new handset, they don't last forever.

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:02 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Sounds like the files have been corrupted. Could be software related, could be hardware.

The lead contender would be the camera module as it's showing signs of failure based on the info given. (Either the hard/firm/software on it)

Might be time for a new handset, they don't last forever.

AARUGH!!! I don't need this right now!!!

The rest of the phone works just fine. All the apps and calling and everything else works just fine. The camera did give an error message a couple of times. I restarted the phone each time and it was fine. I did notice there are two pics that are together in one. Like the top half of one pic is saved as one with the bottom half of another pic.

I was hoping it was the SD card.....

trpmb6

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Sorry to hear about this Seb. Have you tried importing the images into any photo editing software? Does your phone only store one file format? Some phones will store a .raw file in addition to a .jpg until space is required (some only store .raw files IRC). The .raw files are more useful and can be viewed/edited using free photoediting software on the net.

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm

My phone only stores pics as .jpg files. I tried opening one in MS Movie editor but it said it could not open the file and gave an error code. I looked it up and the thread said something about a codec needed, but I don't get why if other .jpg files were taken at the same time and came out just fine.

EDIT:

I do have a digital camera but I didn't bring it because nothing was going wrong with the phone camera before we left.

casinterest

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 pm

seb146 wrote:
My phone only stores pics as .jpg files. I tried opening one in MS Movie editor but it said it could not open the file and gave an error code. I looked it up and the thread said something about a codec needed, but I don't get why if other .jpg files were taken at the same time and came out just fine.

EDIT:

I do have a digital camera but I didn't bring it because nothing was going wrong with the phone camera before we left.

Try looking at a text view of the file.

Then use software to see if the headers and footers are messed up.

http://www.file-recovery.com/jpg-signature-format.htm

seb146
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:59 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

EDIT:

If I am reading the site correctly, all .jpg files start with FF D8 FF is that right? If so, the one .jpg file I opened with the hex viewer does not have that. It does end with FF D9 D9 at offset 141790.

If this is coding, I am starting to get into it.

casinterest

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

EDIT:

If I am reading the site correctly, all .jpg files start with FF D8 FF is that right? If so, the one .jpg file I opened with the hex viewer does not have that. It does end with FF D9 D9 at offset 141790.

If this is coding, I am starting to get into it.

It's not really coding, just fixing the headers. Try adding the FF D8 FF , and see if it helps. Unfortunately, Without being able to see all the headers, I can't tell you if more than 3 bytes are missing from the header or not.