Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 23980
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:40 am

I have a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 running Android 7 and some random .jpg files will not show on either the phone or desk top computer. I get an error message "Windows photo viewer can not open this picture because either Photo Viewer does not support his file format or you don't have the latest updates" which I have both. Some pics were taken within 10 minutes of each other. My phone had a "camera can not function" error until I reset it. So why can I not see some .jpg files but not others?
 
salttee
Posts: 3149
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:26 am

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 am

Maybe the files are dinged. I'd suggest that you copy the .jpg files to the computer and see if they will display. If they still won't display, you could try to load them into any photo editor (MS Paint will work) and save them again in JPG format, that might fix them. When they're on the computer, you can also try to display them with VLC movie viewer.
 
ChrisKen
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:51 am

Sounds like the files have been corrupted. Could be software related, could be hardware.

The lead contender would be the camera module as it's showing signs of failure based on the info given. (Either the hard/firm/software on it)

Might be time for a new handset, they don't last forever.
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 23980
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:02 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
Sounds like the files have been corrupted. Could be software related, could be hardware.

The lead contender would be the camera module as it's showing signs of failure based on the info given. (Either the hard/firm/software on it)

Might be time for a new handset, they don't last forever.


AARUGH!!! I don't need this right now!!!

The rest of the phone works just fine. All the apps and calling and everything else works just fine. The camera did give an error message a couple of times. I restarted the phone each time and it was fine. I did notice there are two pics that are together in one. Like the top half of one pic is saved as one with the bottom half of another pic.

I was hoping it was the SD card.....
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 3018
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Sorry to hear about this Seb. Have you tried importing the images into any photo editing software? Does your phone only store one file format? Some phones will store a .raw file in addition to a .jpg until space is required (some only store .raw files IRC). The .raw files are more useful and can be viewed/edited using free photoediting software on the net.
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 23980
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:13 pm

My phone only stores pics as .jpg files. I tried opening one in MS Movie editor but it said it could not open the file and gave an error code. I looked it up and the thread said something about a codec needed, but I don't get why if other .jpg files were taken at the same time and came out just fine.

EDIT:

I do have a digital camera but I didn't bring it because nothing was going wrong with the phone camera before we left.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13955
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 pm

seb146 wrote:
My phone only stores pics as .jpg files. I tried opening one in MS Movie editor but it said it could not open the file and gave an error code. I looked it up and the thread said something about a codec needed, but I don't get why if other .jpg files were taken at the same time and came out just fine.

EDIT:

I do have a digital camera but I didn't bring it because nothing was going wrong with the phone camera before we left.


Try looking at a text view of the file.

Then use software to see if the headers and footers are messed up.

http://www.file-recovery.com/jpg-signature-format.htm
 
User avatar
seb146
Topic Author
Posts: 23980
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:59 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
My phone only stores pics as .jpg files. I tried opening one in MS Movie editor but it said it could not open the file and gave an error code. I looked it up and the thread said something about a codec needed, but I don't get why if other .jpg files were taken at the same time and came out just fine.

EDIT:

I do have a digital camera but I didn't bring it because nothing was going wrong with the phone camera before we left.


Try looking at a text view of the file.

Then use software to see if the headers and footers are messed up.

http://www.file-recovery.com/jpg-signature-format.htm


If I am reading the site correctly, all .jpg files start with FF D8 FF is that right? If so, the one .jpg file I opened with the hex viewer does not have that. It does end with FF D9 D9 at offset 141790.

If this is coding, I am starting to get into it.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 13955
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Why Do My Pics Not View

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:49 pm

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
My phone only stores pics as .jpg files. I tried opening one in MS Movie editor but it said it could not open the file and gave an error code. I looked it up and the thread said something about a codec needed, but I don't get why if other .jpg files were taken at the same time and came out just fine.

EDIT:

I do have a digital camera but I didn't bring it because nothing was going wrong with the phone camera before we left.


Try looking at a text view of the file.

Then use software to see if the headers and footers are messed up.

http://www.file-recovery.com/jpg-signature-format.htm


If I am reading the site correctly, all .jpg files start with FF D8 FF is that right? If so, the one .jpg file I opened with the hex viewer does not have that. It does end with FF D9 D9 at offset 141790.

If this is coding, I am starting to get into it.


It's not really coding, just fixing the headers. Try adding the FF D8 FF , and see if it helps. Unfortunately, Without being able to see all the headers, I can't tell you if more than 3 bytes are missing from the header or not.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: melpax and 20 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos