afcjets
Topic Author

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:52 pm

This is one of my favorite movies of all time and is from the early 1980s. It is based on real life. I think everyone from the snowflake generation should watch it. Here is the music video of the theme song which shows why.

https://youtu.be/Xk2NHZukTYg

casinterest

Re: Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:09 pm

afcjets wrote:
This is one of my favorite movies of all time and is from the early 1980s. It is based on real life. I think everyone from the snowflake generation should watch it. Here is the music video of the theme song which shows why.

https://youtu.be/Xk2NHZukTYg

I have come to find that there is no such thing as a snowflake generation. So who exactly are you targeting here Spicoli?
Where ever you go, there you are.

afcjets
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Why because he's crying? lol no I love all the characters. I am saying the snowflake high school and college aged kids today could learn a lot from them.

I wonder if Sean Penn would even make a movie like this today? He probably would but the music video alone has a lot that we are supposed to pretend to be outraged by today and would land almost every student in jail, expulsion or getting fired from work for once was innocent typical hs behavior. (excluding the abortion of course)
Last edited by afcjets on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Berevoff

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Remember that scene where the man tricks the child into having sex and then lies to her about an abortion. That's a great scene that we just don't understand these days, am I right guys?

Kids today and their accountability. A real shame.

afcjets
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:34 pm

You mean where the sophomore who is encouraged by her friend and coworker the most popular, beautiful and most sex positive (a term which didn't exist then) girl in high school sleeps with the senior who is a couple of years older than her?

Tugger

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:38 pm

Berevoff wrote:
Remember that scene where the man tricks the child into having sex and then lies to her about an abortion. That's a great scene that we just don't understand these days, am I right guys?

I recently watched the movie and had forgotten that part of the movie. But honestly it was a good part, it is (had been) a sad but very real truth for many young girls who experienced such. We unusually don't show that much anymore in movies. Lots of bad decisions and sex or sexual elements that I had forgotten all about. I was certainly sad for the girl, I knew what was happening even if I had forgotten the mean depths of the whole situation to come. Sad, but it was just a "part of the times" then (I guess so common that it did not define the movie). Nowadays the hue and cry that would result could be an issue.

Now... for me there is only one scene that is "must watch" from my teen memories of the movie (it defined The Cars song "Moving in Stereo" for me).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

casinterest

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 pm

afcjets wrote:
Why because he's crying? lol no I love all the characters. I am saying the snowflake high school and college aged kids today could learn a lot from them.

I wonder if Sean Penn would even make a movie like this today? He probably would but the music video alone has a lot that we are supposed to pretend to be outraged by today and would land almost every student in jail, expulsion or getting fired from work for once was innocent typical hs behavior.

I think snowflakes like you could learn from the fact that every high school/college age kid has a coming of age movie. It is a part of growing up.
Spicoli is a snowflake by your definition in the start of this movie.
Where ever you go, there you are.

afcjets
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Because he's crying? Lol, it's been awhile since I've seen the movie and I don't remember why, but pretty sure it wasn't something like he learned in class that day a scientific study produced the shocking revelation that there is a difference in the male and female brain.

1989worstyear

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Berevoff wrote:

I think the characters were both technically children (15 and 17).
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Berevoff

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:38 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
Berevoff wrote:

I think the characters were both technically children (15 and 17).

How is an assistant to the assistant manager at a movie theater only 17?

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:27 am

More importantly, why would an assistant manager even need an assistant? In the music video I linked, he is walking through the high school halls between class carrying a notebook.

seb146

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 am

I am going to become even more hated on this board:

I didn't like Fast Times. I thought it was boring and poorly written. I didn't get it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

afcjets
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 am

Can you at least trash the music video? I am sure you will find a lot to say about it lol

cpd

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:37 am

afcjets wrote:
I am saying the snowflake high school and college aged kids today could learn a lot from them.

I can find kids today who know more about dedication and hard work than many of the oldies from the other generations would ever know. So much for snow flake generations.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 am

'Fast Times' is an interesting film even today. I first saw it likely on HBO maybe a year or 2 after it came out, I was in my late 20's then. I recall there was a documentary about its making and effects done a few years ago.

The film wasn't expected to be a big success, mainly it was for a regional targeted audience, made on the cheap, but word of mouth at a time before VCR's and if wanted to see it again you had to go to the theater and many did so and several times, becoming an national sensation and success.

It was one of the most honest films about teens, especially at its time. It acknowledged that teens had sex, they had abortions, they smoked pot, used drugs and drink to excess but didn't die. It brought up the issues of teens working at crummy jobs, the corruption of sports, the cliques, the silliness of teens still true today.
The film was career starting point of a number of its actors and actresses and its writer.

It was done at time before cell phones, smartphones, computers, AIDS, mass shootings at schools, strict rules about food in schools, high security, no strict appearance codes or 'political correctness'.

There are flaws and some scenes people wouldn't understand today. Some of the sexual situations depicted wouln't be allowed today. The drinking and drug use is a bit too casual by today's standards. There is a scene of where a quiz is being handed out on mimeographed paper. The kids are 'sniffing' them as the chemicals, including alcohol, give off an odor and gave a slight buzz when did so. Many HS age teens don't go to mall anymore or cannot hang out at them anymore, many business hire adults now instead of teens due to child labor law restrictions. The behavior of Spicolli would likely mean being thrown out of school.

Today, the film is entertaining and appeal to some teens or nostoligic for those who were teens then when it came out.

tommy1808

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:27 am

ltbewr wrote:
It was one of the most honest films about teens, especially at its time.

I never heard of the title, so I looked up the German one (nope, never seen it) and found the citation from the German encyclopedia of international film, a collection or critiques of all movies showed in Germany since 1945, and I found interesting after reading your post:

With rare restraint in this genre, the film describes students' role concepts and future expectations and sets some sociologically interesting accents. In the end, however, it doesn't get beyond a nice conversation.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......