caliboy93
Topic Author

Biggest issues in sports?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:13 am

I would say gender inequality in terms of opportunity and pay, off-field behavior of athletes, and fan violence.

Kiwirob

Re: Biggest issues in sports?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 am

Take tennis as an example why should women be paid as much as men in the Grand Slams, they only play at best 60% of the time men spend on court, men put on a better show, the quality of the men's game is significantly higher than the women's, it's also more difficult to get tickets to the men's finals then the women's finals, so why should women be paid equally?

mbmbos

Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Injuries, and particularly traumatic head injuries.

I love football but I've stopped watching the NFL altogether until they do more to protect players from traumatic injuries and provide health care to those retired players who are now suffering.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:24 pm

1) Head injuries
2) Other injuries
3) Doping

I also have stopped watching the NFL. It is wrong to take pleasure in other people bashing their skulls.

bhill

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:26 pm

MLS referees...............
Carpe Pices

winginit

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Not in some way compensating college athletes for the buckets of money that they bring their universities.

If I'm an all-star college football player who brings my University millions of dollars I shouldn't be hung out to dry if I get injured to the degree that I'm unable to play professionally.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 pm

winginit wrote:
Not in some way compensating college athletes for the buckets of money that they bring their universities.

If I'm an all-star college football player who brings my University millions of dollars I shouldn't be hung out to dry if I get injured to the degree that I'm unable to play professionally.

Even high schools have star athletes. People don't go to college to get paid, they go to learn.
Otherwise , they can just wait it out for the draft.
Where ever you go, there you are.

winginit

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:01 pm

casinterest wrote:
winginit wrote:

Even high schools have star athletes. People don't go to college to get paid, they go to learn.

Let's not pretend that High Schools monetize their athletes to a degree that's even in the same ballpark as colleges.

Additionally, to think that most athletes who are of obvious professional-caliber go to college to learn is simply not true. Top athletes go to college because it's a necessary,at times (in the NBA) mandated step towards participation in a professional league that will adequately compensate them for their talents.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm

winginit wrote:
casinterest wrote:
winginit wrote:

Let's not pretend that High Schools monetize their athletes to a degree that's even in the same ballpark as colleges.

Additionally, to think that most athletes who are of obvious professional-caliber go to college to learn is simply not true. Top athletes go to college because it's a necessary,at times (in the NBA) mandated step towards participation in a professional league that will adequately compensate them for their talents.

You can skip college if needed in the NBA, Play arena football and hope to get into the NFL, but those players will never have developed ( Unlees they are lebron or kobe) the skills necessary to succeed in the pros.

There are many athletes that are merely there to learn. Only 224 Athletes a year are drafted out of college football per year. Those athletes are chosen based on their performance in college. Just as a business will choose their best employee based on their education. Colleges monetize sports because people like to watch them, but the Athletes are still there to learn and free to leave at any point. They signed no contract, and can fail out or turn to the draft early.
Where ever you go, there you are.

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:44 pm

winginit wrote:

Full ride scholarships and "tutors" are a thing.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:45 pm

winginit wrote:
casinterest wrote:
winginit wrote:

Actually, the big high schools at least in Texas do recruit and have booster programs for their sports teams. Some even go out of their way to poach star players from other schools by offering to buy their families new houses in the district.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:54 pm

1. too much business not enough sport.
2. Doping and especially lenient actions against doping and doped athletes. Federations and etc.
3. The two above combined.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Dieuwer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 pm

The biggest issue in sports? Sexual Assault.

Airstud

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

The near-constant lengthening of the shorts.
Pancakes are delicious.

PIMountaineer

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:00 pm

bhill wrote:
MLS referees...............

Indeed. I suppose the same could be said of the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc. VAR is only going to get you so far. What's your favorite MLS team by the way?