trpmb6

Re: Woman in Vegetative State Gives Birth!

Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:01 am

So did you all read the little bit at the end? The family says the woman isn't in a coma or a vegetative state in the normal way we know it:

"The victim's parents would like to make clear that their daughter is not in a coma," said the statement released to CNN by the attorney for the parents. "She has significant intellectual disabilities as a result of seizures very early in her childhood."
The woman does not speak but has some ability to move her limbs, head and neck. She also "responds to sound and is able to make facial gestures."
"She has feelings, likes to be read to, enjoys soft music and is capable of responding to people she is familiar with, especially family," the parents said.

I don't know why, but this just makes me feel worse about it. Before, I had this idea that at least she probably had no idea what happened.. (as if that was some sort of consolation in all of this horror)

I'd like to think this is an isolated incident, but I bet this happens more often than we know. Disgusting. What can be done about these facilities?

DIRECTFLT

Re: Woman in Coma Gives Birth!

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:01 am

BestWestern wrote:
Maybe it’s the new Jesus and a virgin birth?

Rapture is coming accordingly

Or "RoseMary's Baby"....
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Jouhou

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:28 am

usflyer msp wrote:
casinterest wrote:
They have arrested someone. A very sick person.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/health/a ... index.html
A 36-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of impregnating woman in a vegetative state who gave birth last month at a Phoenix health care facility, Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams said Wednesday.

Nathan Sutherland, a licensed practical nurse who was caring for the woman at the Hacienda HealthCare facility, has been arrested and is being booked on preliminary charges of sexual assault and vulnerable-adult abuse, Williams said.

Sutherland's DNA "matched the baby" when crime lab technicians tested it Tuesday, Phoenix police Sgt. Tommy Thompson said.

I'm not sure this guy did it. I don't see how he could possibly be a nurse -- he looks like some special needs homeless dude they picked up off the street. Either there is some sort of conspiracy or Hacienda Health has virtually no hiring standards.

There's still a massive nursing shortage nationwide. They probably took what they could get.

Tugger

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 am

trpmb6 wrote:
So did you all read the little bit at the end? The family says the woman isn't in a coma or a vegetative state in the normal way we know it:

"The victim's parents would like to make clear that their daughter is not in a coma," said the statement released to CNN by the attorney for the parents. "She has significant intellectual disabilities as a result of seizures very early in her childhood."
The woman does not speak but has some ability to move her limbs, head and neck. She also "responds to sound and is able to make facial gestures."
"She has feelings, likes to be read to, enjoys soft music and is capable of responding to people she is familiar with, especially family," the parents said.

I don't know why, but this just makes me feel worse about it. Before, I had this idea that at least she probably had no idea what happened.. (as if that was some sort of consolation in all of this horror)

From what I have read they are parents that are in denial about the state of their daughter. She has been in a facility, she has been this way since she was three years old. As has been the case with others in a vegetative state the family imagines they see something that is not there if reviewed critically, if reviewed with an eye towards science and fact.

I believe they see something, I believe they want to and need to see something. I believe they are used to what she is and attach meaning to responses she makes, I believe the love her.

So they pay and use their money for what they feel is important and no I do not think it is wasted or anything like that. People can spend what they wish of their money.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

usflyer msp

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:37 pm

fr8mech wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I'm not sure this guy did it. I don't see how he could possibly be a nurse -- he looks like some special needs homeless dude they picked up off the street. Either there is some sort of conspiracy or Hacienda Health has virtually no hiring standards.

Are you kidding me? You're basing your objection on a mug shot. Hell, they may have dragged him out of bed and arrested him.

Next, he's an LPN, not an RN. Not that it makes that much of a difference, but the training and bar for licensing is much lower for LPN vs. RN.

Further, have you ever been in a long-term care facility? I don't want to paint with too broad a brush, there are many wonderful, competent people that care for people in these facilities, but these types of facilities don't usually draw the "cream-of-the-crop". We used to pay many "visits" to the long-term care facilities in our district.

We once made a run to one of these facilities...unconscious, unresponsive, CPR in progress. When we arrived, a pair of LPN's were performing "CPR" on a "patient" that was awake, alert and sitting up in bed.

I doubt this dude could pass a basic biology course unless their was some educational/credentialing fraud involved...

Aesma

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:32 pm

TuggerTugger : we have famous case like this in France, with religious parents not wanting to let go of their son who had an accident, the man's wife and other family members saying he should be let go, etc. Ruling after ruling, doctors saying there is nothing in there, the family publishing a disturbing video showing some reflex movement... At least in France it's not the family paying for anything, but the public system, so that's a consideration.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DIRECTFLT

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

I'd like to think this is an isolated incident, but I bet this happens more often than we know. Disgusting. What can be done about these facilities?

Thanks for clarifying. I had assumed that she was not able to respond in any way, like when someone is passed out or unconscious.

IF she can answer a yes or no question by response of some kind, then the Defense may propose they she consented to the relationship with the nurse. But that's still unlawful in this situation, but you wonder what kind of defense is going to be presented, other than just pleading guilty, and throwing yourself at the mercy of the court.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

trpmb6

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Tugg could be right, that the family is in denial. That's just what the family is publicly saying at this point. Eitherway it's disgusting.

fr8mech

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:39 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
I doubt this dude could pass a basic biology course unless their was some educational/credentialing fraud involved...

You can tell that just from his mug-shot? Nice.

I wanted to add, though it may not have been applicable in this case, there is really only one way to reduce the chances of being in this type of situation (not the rape, but the persistent vegetative state or being kept alive while brain dead situation), as a patient. Make sure you have a proper living will or advance directive and that your loved ones know what it says. Further, if circumstances permit, you medical team should be made aware.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

scbriml

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:05 am

Tugger wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
So did you all read the little bit at the end? The family says the woman isn't in a coma or a vegetative state in the normal way we know it:[\quote]

From what I have read they are parents that are in denial about the state of their daughter.

I have to admit that was the first thing that came to my mind upon reading the quote.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

crj900lr

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:05 am

This is gonna be a prime time special 2hr Maury Povich show. Can't wait to hear Maury read the results.