DL717

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: The It Girl

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Brick wrote:
Santa Claus does appeal to many people I guess.

She knows how to speak her mind. Too bad it does not contain any content.

This exactly. She’s an idiot. So is her buddy in Texas that put up that stupid video of his dental visit. Millennial politicians are certainly going to be amusing.
Everything is chits and giggles until you get old enough to giggle and then you chit.

VTKillarney

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm

To be fair, for someone with an economics degree she has made some amazing factual and mathematical blunders.

VTKillarney

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:42 pm

Here’s a very good analysis of Ocasio-Cortez’s taxation plan:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-tax-t ... ref=scroll

mham001

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:42 pm

BN747 wrote:

Belittle grunt workers all you want, therein lies your errant thinking (if one could call that 'thinking'.

You seem to think the top earners 'share' what's really going on, when in truth that crowd will share nothing about what they're doing...it's how they stay wealthy and keep you out of their ranks. OTOH, the grunt works spill everything and in great detail - forms a picture, a more accurate focus on the conduct of those who think 'no one is paying attention' or the more arrogant approach like you, 'what does he/she know other than parking my car or bringing my food or mixing my cocktail.

Here's how you distinguish people who are aware...and the fools who aren't (you - waiting for a compiled set of stats in order to form an opinion.

Those who are aware are among those living life and engaging with those who are willing to open up and talk, scared frightened and the close minded ..like you wholly rely on what they read...not what they know, because they don't know nor experience anything beyond their comfort zones.

The number of illegal white people in this country is astronomical and will never be disclosed because they aren't perceived as a threat, they are encourage by your hero, TTrump to increase their presence...simply out of fear of too many 'browns, blacks and yellows' - terms you understand above all else.

mham001 wrote:

Pretty much lays to bunk this claim of a "great white migration". Racists such as BN747 can sleep easy tonight.

Dude, don't even try it...you only thing you KNOW about racism is what you practice and how to try deflecting and projecting the term onto people calling you out Fox News style....that's the extent of your understanding racism. You calling me a racist is like me calling you a child molester - which I have no idea what you do when not trolling on a.net. Difference is, child molestation is easily defined...and people like you think racism, sexism are also as simplistic in defining and they far from it. Small minds like yours should refrain from using terms you know squat about.

But I turn you back to men scared of women charge...continue...

BN747

Keep digging that hole. Forming an opinion based on Los Angeles valet attendants or official nationwide statistics.....it takes a certain kind of dumb to say what you've said here. and yes, your presentation was racist. WHITE PEOPLE! BE SCARED!

NIKV69

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm

DL717 wrote:
Brick wrote:

This exactly. She’s an idiot. So is her buddy in Texas that put up that stupid video of his dental visit. Millennial politicians are certainly going to be amusing.

Not in 50 years.
The Juice is loose and he is in Vegas!

BN747

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:56 pm

mham001 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Belittle grunt workers all you want, therein lies your errant thinking (if one could call that 'thinking'.

You seem to think the top earners 'share' what's really going on, when in truth that crowd will share nothing about what they're doing...it's how they stay wealthy and keep you out of their ranks. OTOH, the grunt works spill everything and in great detail - forms a picture, a more accurate focus on the conduct of those who think 'no one is paying attention' or the more arrogant approach like you, 'what does he/she know other than parking my car or bringing my food or mixing my cocktail.

Here's how you distinguish people who are aware...and the fools who aren't (you - waiting for a compiled set of stats in order to form an opinion.

Those who are aware are among those living life and engaging with those who are willing to open up and talk, scared frightened and the close minded ..like you wholly rely on what they read...not what they know, because they don't know nor experience anything beyond their comfort zones.

The number of illegal white people in this country is astronomical and will never be disclosed because they aren't perceived as a threat, they are encourage by your hero, TTrump to increase their presence...simply out of fear of too many 'browns, blacks and yellows' - terms you understand above all else.

mham001 wrote:

Pretty much lays to bunk this claim of a "great white migration". Racists such as BN747 can sleep easy tonight.

Dude, don't even try it...you only thing you KNOW about racism is what you practice and how to try deflecting and projecting the term onto people calling you out Fox News style....that's the extent of your understanding racism. You calling me a racist is like me calling you a child molester - which I have no idea what you do when not trolling on a.net. Difference is, child molestation is easily defined...and people like you think racism, sexism are also as simplistic in defining and they far from it. Small minds like yours should refrain from using terms you know squat about.

But I turn you back to men scared of women charge...continue...

BN747

Keep digging that hole. Forming an opinion based on Los Angeles valet attendants or official nationwide statistics.....it takes a certain kind of dumb to say what you've said here. and yes, your presentation was racist. WHITE PEOPLE! BE SCARED!

HAHAHA...white people being scared is racist?....Dude, you're like a 5 year old giving advice on sex (and you'd probably listen to one) discussing race, you know a dman thing about the subject other than how to fling the word like a kids first use of the term 'f**k'...no clue, just feels good toss it out every chance they get - that's you & race.

Wow, can't let go of attacking valet attendants as a source of info..but love how you omitted slamming the others sources, waiters, bar tenders etc...you serving ice teas at the Cracker Barrel between serving cokes at Wendys? Too close to home and off limits for you, huh?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BN747

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
[
.you left out the how the death of children in their kiddy camps dying.

Drama much? I wonder how anyone can take you seriously but keep up the fight it will be good to watch the DNC scramble to control this person as she just puts her foot in her mouth every 5 mins. Just remember her answer as to where the trillions will come from to finance her free stuff fantasy.

"you just pay for it"

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Scared White Male Syndrome...SWMS. yep it's a thing, you just confirmed it.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

VTKillarney

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 pm

BN747 wrote:
Wow, can't let go of attacking valet attendants as a source of info..

Nobody attacked valet attendants as a source of information. All that was attacked was the contention that the information gleaned from speaking with a few valets is more reliable than official government statistics.

BN747

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:40 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Brick wrote:

Not in 50 years.

Cave men....in the 21st century, who knew?

Not only scared of smart women, just plain scare of everything not living in their cave...

BN747

NIKV69

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 pm

BN747 wrote:

Not only scared of smart women, just plain scare of everything not living in their cave...

BN747

Cortez? Smart? :rotfl:

Gabbard is Smart.
Wareren is smart
Pelosi is smart.
Clinton is smart.

Your girl is not smart buddy but keep it up. It will serve you well to blindly follow someone who reinforces your hatred and fear or people that actually want to work for a living and not get taxed to death to pay for the ones who don't.

BN747

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Wow, can't let go of attacking valet attendants as a source of info..

Nobody attacked valet attendants as a source of information. All that was attacked was the contention that the information gleaned from speaking with a few valets is more reliable than official government statistics.

Turn off the stupid for a second, he is certainly belittling these people.... oh hell ,never mind Dreadnought or whoever you are masquerading as these days, just keep trolling for someone to interact with you...you clearly crave the attention.

BN747

DaveFly

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm

This has to be one of the most bizarre threads I’ve read here. Valet attendants, Joe Lieberman, retirement at 40, everything but the kitchen sink!

I grew up in Alexandra’s district in the Bronx. No special insight from me though; it was a completely different demographic then.

Keep in mind that she won the primary with 12% of eligible voters. Not exactly a landslide mandate. But she acts as though she did win one.

I agree with Claire McCaskill — she’s the shiny object right now. She needs to accomplish some of her goals before she stands on the gold Olympic podium.

In the meantime, Pelosi will eat her for breakfast.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

BN747

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Cortez? Smart? :rotfl:

Gabbard is Smart.
Wareren is smart
Pelosi is smart.
Clinton is smart.

Your girl is not smart buddy but keep it up. It will serve you well to blindly follow someone who reinforces your hatred and fear or people that actually want to work for a living and not get taxed to death to pay for the ones who don't.

Ummm yeah as in if she were on Jeopardy versus you, you'd be the first ever contestant to owe the show 100K and she'd wipe the floor with you - yeah, but say she's smarter than you then again isn't saying much at all.

Jeezus! You have no problem with being taxed to death paying for a 4th century wall that you were told Mexico would pay for, and now that she's proposed to shift tax dollars to education and healthcare sends a rail up your butt - that's the problem with your ancient mindset, plenty of money spend on silly and bogus campaigns over the improvement of life.

You prove my friend's correct assumption re:Chump supporters , they idolize him because he's just like them, chauvinistic, zero knowledge, no concept of self-improvement, anti-intellectualism and how young women should jsut look pretty and nothing else... the simpler things are the better why work your brain that hard.

BN747

seb146

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm

DaveFly wrote:
This has to be one of the most bizarre threads I’ve read here. Valet attendants, Joe Lieberman, retirement at 40, everything but the kitchen sink!

I grew up in Alexandra’s district in the Bronx. No special insight from me though; it was a completely different demographic then.

Keep in mind that she won the primary with 12% of eligible voters. Not exactly a landslide mandate. But she acts as though she did win one.

I agree with Claire McCaskill — she’s the shiny object right now. She needs to accomplish some of her goals before she stands on the gold Olympic podium.

In the meantime, Pelosi will eat her for breakfast.

So, 88% of people in the district either couldn't be bothered to vote or were denied their right. Being New York, I would bet they couldn't be bothered.

You also have to admit that it is absurd that the same people who are now all pearl clutcy and demanding a fainting couch because a woman is speaking her mind are the same people who were cheering and standing up for an orange man speaking his mind.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Flighty

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
[
.you left out the how the death of children in their kiddy camps dying.

Drama much? I wonder how anyone can take you seriously but keep up the fight it will be good to watch the DNC scramble to control this person as she just puts her foot in her mouth every 5 mins. Just remember her answer as to where the trillions will come from to finance her free stuff fantasy.

"you just pay for it"

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Exactly, it isn't correct to say she is a smart woman. She isn't really a woman. She is a late adolescent who shows low aptitude to understand how the world of adults works. I think kids are adorable and it's not her fault she doesn't know anything. She is basically saying "goo goo, ga ga." We should let her run her personal apartment using her budgetary techniques. Let her learn about life first. Get her first eviction. Get denied groceries at the store. Then propose policy much later.

bgm

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Flighty wrote:
Exactly, it isn't correct to say she is a smart woman. She isn't really a woman. She is a late adolescent who shows low aptitude to understand how the world of adults works. I think kids are adorable and it's not her fault she doesn't know anything. She is basically saying "goo goo, ga ga." We should let her run her personal apartment using her budgetary techniques. Let her learn about life first. Get her first eviction. Get denied groceries at the store. Then propose policy much later.

Could you be any more misogynistic? :sarcastic:

She's doing something right, because she's making angry old white men like you shit their panties.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Flighty

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:30 am

bgm wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Could you be any more misogynistic? :sarcastic:

She's doing something right, because she's making angry old white men like you shit their panties.

Oh I think she should frighten women, too. In my experience, women are extremely smart, capable and if anything, more-prepared for the positions of power they earn than are men. That is why I say that ACO doesn't meet my definition of a woman; she is an adolescent who needs to be guided by a more senior woman or man. And I believe that she will be.

WarRI1

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:34 am

Another reply from me disappeared on this subject, first an entire thread and then a reply. Mysterious!!!
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:39 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Another reply from me disappeared on this subject, first an entire thread and then a reply. Mysterious!!!

Some of us have engaged with the mods on this. It seems there is some combination of mods policing threads and forum glitches that is resulting in threads and posts disappearing without the standard mod statement attached.

NIKV69

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:39 am

bgm wrote:

Again this is something you made up in your head. Nobody is afraid of her. Of course except her own party who is frantically trying to stop her with this 70% tax madness that will lead to losses in the next mid terms and general. She is the laughing stock of congress.

WarRI1

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 am

Jouhou wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Some of us have engaged with the mods on this. It seems there is some combination of mods policing threads and forum glitches that is resulting in threads and posts disappearing without the standard mod statement attached.

I do not think it is too much to ask to be told if we violate a rule.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Berevoff

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

You're being way to hard on them. Don't forget they're all volunteers working for the greater good while burning the midnight oil so we can all have a wonderful, safe place to talk about certain things they deem acceptable without providing any semblance of what that actually means. Its all personal discretion so just contact them privately and discuss your concerns out of the public eye before you comment further. The audacity of your post is shocking if I'm honest.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:10 am

WarRI1 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

There's a glitch at play too though, that's the confusing part. You can't tell if they made an action or not, and it seems they are struggling to tell too.

seb146

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:53 am

What kind of hellscape must it have been until the 1980s. A real "Mad Max" life we all had until Reagan lowered the tax rates to ~35% and a few thousand people graced us with them having lower tax rates.

From what I remember hearing, when the tax rate was ~70%, the rich were still getting rich and the middle class were still doing well enough to buy a home and car and health care. But, to be fair, health care was not a for-profit enterprise trying to take as much money as possible from the middle and poor classes, so there is that.

VTKillarney

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 am

The effective tax rate for the top 1 percent peaked at 45 percent of income in 1945. AOC wants something that we haven’t even come close to trying. I wonder if she’s actually an agent for the Cayman Islands. Her tax plans will make those islands rich.

seb146

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 am

Or maybe she remembers hearing her grandparents and parents talk about how things were affordable then because EVERYONE paid taxes and EVERYONE could afford basic living and she wants to get back to that? Maybe she is sick and tired of her generation getting shafted and told how awful they are because her generation does not accept scraps and be grateful?

Wacker1000

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 am

I'm still in awe of any US citizen supporting a socialist. It is like cutting off the nose to spite the face. When the US succumbs to it, there will be no going back and it is scary that we are slowly seeing more and more candidates supporting it and more and more people thinking it is a good idea.

2122M

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 am

Wacker1000 wrote:
I'm still in awe of any US citizen supporting a socialist. It is like cutting off the nose to spite the face. When the US succumbs to it, there will be no going back and it is scary that we are slowly seeing more and more candidates supporting it and more and more people thinking it is a good idea.

Aren’t the democratic-socialist countries in Northern Europe constantly rated as the happiest and healthiest countries in the world?

zkojq

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:19 am

What can you say; most people who can't stand her are the same ones who will defend Trump forever and tell the world that 'Collusion is not a crime'. :roll:

stl07 wrote:
What DOES bother is the fact that anything that could be remotely taken as sexist if you say it in a particular way, and she instantly attacks and berates that person to the ground. For example, Clair McCaskill called her a shiny object to describe the way she attracts attention in Congress compared to the other old farts, not at all in a sexist way if you watch the interview, she instantly attacked her, making up facts about here with something like she was a Trump supporter, a Republican in a Dem's clothes, and even made fun of the fact that she lost.

Have a look at the full McCaskill interview. Her attacks are far more than calling her a shiny object.

Okie wrote:
Maybe Pelosi was giving her a bit of an elbow after she protested outside Pelosi's office.

I really hate people who hold the powerful to account.

johnboy wrote:
I must admit...I’m SO enjoying the restrained terror here. But to be totally honest I’d rather not see Dreadnought in this position - in general I feel there are others much more deserving of disdain than he.

VTKillarney = Dreadnought ?

DeltaMD90 wrote:
I never liked when someone gains such a huge following before really doing anything. I can see interest and excitement but calm down people, let's see what she does in the next few years before going "AOC 2028"

:checkmark: That's my issue here. Hope she can deliver.

DeltaMD90 wrote:
It is nice to see younger people in Congress, or at least new ones. Fire them all and get a whole new lot I say

:checkmark: There should be a mandatory retirement age of 65 for elected officials.

Romeo9408 wrote:
If air traffic controllers have to retire at " a certain age," then shouldn't EVERYONE be put out to pasture, so to speak? Old farts over 40 need to get off the stage. Your brains are atrophied anyway.

:checkmark:
Most recently flown: A318 F-GUGQ A319 F-GRHR A320ceo D-AIZH A320neo D-AINE A330-300 VH-QPD A350-900 B-LRA A380-800 D-AIMH 717 VH-YQW 737-600 LN-RPA 737-700 OY-JTY 737-800 LN-NGA 767-300 ZK-NCI 777-200 ZK-OKA 777-300 ZK-OKN 787-9 ZK-NZK CS100 HB-JBG

Wacker1000

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:30 am

2122M wrote:
Wacker1000 wrote:

Aren’t the democratic-socialist countries in Northern Europe constantly rated as the happiest and healthiest countries in the world?

Happiest because they don't know any better or happiest and healthiest because they are the population of an average US state and many of them have oil and other natural resources to help fund the socialist initiatives?

We're talking the difference between taking care of <10 million people for many of these Northern Europe countries versus 325 million people.

johnboy
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:38 am

zkojq wrote:
johnboy wrote:
I must admit...I’m SO enjoying the restrained terror here. But to be totally honest I’d rather not see Dreadnought in this position - in general I feel there are others much more deserving of disdain than he.

VTKillarney = Dreadnought ?

Yep. Lame protestations notwithstanding.

zkojq

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 am

A lot of the political establishment (and most importantly the lobbyists) feel threatened by someone who doesn't take dirty money.

Wacker1000 wrote:
Happiest because they don't know any better or happiest and healthiest because they are the population of an average US state and many of them have oil and other natural resources to help fund the socialist initiatives?

Good luck finding oil in Sweden, Denmark or Finland. :roll:

Wacker1000 wrote:
We're talking the difference between taking care of <10 million people for many of these Northern Europe countries versus 325 million people.

So it's impossible to have universal healthcare in a large country? Someone should tell that to Germany or Japan!

johnboy wrote:
Yep. Lame protestations notwithstanding.

Well, that would explain a lot. Probably made the alt account so that, post impeachment, he can claim to have never supported Trump.
Most recently flown: A318 F-GUGQ A319 F-GRHR A320ceo D-AIZH A320neo D-AINE A330-300 VH-QPD A350-900 B-LRA A380-800 D-AIMH 717 VH-YQW 737-600 LN-RPA 737-700 OY-JTY 737-800 LN-NGA 767-300 ZK-NCI 777-200 ZK-OKA 777-300 ZK-OKN 787-9 ZK-NZK CS100 HB-JBG

bgm

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 am

NIKV69 wrote:
bgm wrote:

Again this is something you made up in your head. Nobody is afraid of her.

You say that, but your actions clearly speak otherwise. Just read what Flighty said. That's an old man that is threatened by her.
When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 am

bgm wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
bgm wrote:

You say that, but your actions clearly speak otherwise. Just read what Flighty said. That's an old man that is threatened by her.

I'm still going with the confused boner theory. They find her attractive but also see her as the enemy and don't know what to do with their boners.

He (flighty) does seem mildly aroused, he mentions she needs the guidance of a more experienced person.

bgm

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:13 am

Jouhou wrote:
bgm wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I'm still going with the confused boner theory. They find her attractive but also see her as the enemy and don't know what to do with their boners.

Either that, or they're taking their little blue pills at the wrong time. :duck:

seb146

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:59 am

Wacker1000 wrote:
2122M wrote:
Wacker1000 wrote:

These are the same countries that have the most fair and balanced media and education systems and mass shootings are almost non-existent. If 325 million people could have affordable health care, affordable education, a living wage, and no mass shootings, you say they would be miserable? Let's test that theory, shall we?

EDIT:

Exactly Z-E-R-O!!!! of that has to do with socialism. If you read and know anything at all about the political movements, you would know that. Socialism is a four-letter-word made up by Republicans to scare the low information base.

EA CO AS

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

BN747 wrote:
Being a Bronx native

Except she’s from Westchester, so...

Being a “Nuyorican” myself, I don’t dislike her, but find amusing how she’s being so highly praised with no accomplishments to her name other than being elected. And I’m sorry but the whole “Alex from the Bronx” bit is bullshit; she lived there until she was two, then moved to Westchester. She needs to distance herself from the phony street-cred thing if she wants to be taken seriously.

As far as her ideas go, so far she’s doing a terrible job of explaining them. She’s going to be a lot of fun for GOP strategists as they embrace her label as the future of the Democratic Party while moderate Dems try desperately to disassociate themselves from her and her ideas.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Being a Bronx native

Being a “Nuyorican” myself, I don’t dislike her, but find amusing how she’s being so highly praised with no accomplishments to her name other than being elected. And I’m sorry but the whole “Alex from the Bronx” bit is bullshit; she lived there until she was two, then moved to Westchester. She needs to distance herself from the phony street-cred thing if she wants to be taken seriously.

As far as her ideas go, so far she’s doing a terrible job of explaining them. She’s going to be a lot of fun for GOP strategists as they embrace her label as the future of the Democratic Party while moderate Dems try desperately to disassociate themselves from her and her ideas.

Her ideas aren't anything new. The rest of us are trying to disassociate ourselves from the people who are getting excited about her when she hasn't gotten a chance to do anything yet. It really is just as weird as the conservatives clutching their pearls over her. Then again, I'm also not the type that worships celebrities. This is starting to get into celebrity worship territory.

Wacker1000

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:12 pm

zkojq wrote:
Wacker1000 wrote:

So it's impossible to have universal healthcare in a large country? Someone should tell that to Germany or Japan!

If you add the population of Germany and Japan, you are still about 115 million people short of the US.

seb146 wrote:
Exactly Z-E-R-O!!!! of that has to do with socialism. If you read and know anything at all about the political movements, you would know that. Socialism is a four-letter-word made up by Republicans to scare the low information base.

Ahhh your favorite - the Republican boogeyman!

But seriously, how do you figure?

Everything costs something and that cost is getting passed down to us. There is a reason tax rates are higher in socialist countries. In some cases in may work in your favor, in others it may not. You're also putting the same people in charge of healthcare (and lets be realistic - that is the only part of socialism people latch on to) that can't deliver a pieces of mail in a timely or effective manner. If they don't want to pay because you cost too much, you die (or they drag you along for months until you are too sick to actually be cared for because it is the government). It probably isn't a bad system for basic stuff but that basic stuff isn't what leads people towards wanting socialism for its universal healthcare.

Also isn't it ironic that most of the medical breakthroughs do not come from socialist countries? What does that say about the system? Now apply that to every other field the government would be responsible for overseeing.

This is the exact same reason why the aviation industry has historically been a financial disaster - as long as you are guaranteed to be okay, you don't try. It has only taken four decades to partially fix the first four decades and there is still a long way to go.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Wacker1000 wrote:
zkojq wrote:
Wacker1000 wrote:

If you add the population of Germany and Japan, you are still about 115 million people short of the US.

seb146 wrote:

Ahhh your favorite - the Republican boogeyman!

But seriously, how do you figure?

Everything costs something and that cost is getting passed down to us. There is a reason tax rates are higher in socialist countries. In some cases in may work in your favor, in others it may not. You're also putting the same people in charge of healthcare (and lets be realistic - that is the only part of socialism people latch on to) that can't deliver a pieces of mail in a timely or effective manner. If they don't want to pay because you cost too much, you die (or they drag you along for months until you are too sick to actually be cared for because it is the government). It probably isn't a bad system for basic stuff but that basic stuff isn't what leads people towards wanting socialism for its universal healthcare.

Also isn't it ironic that most of the medical breakthroughs do not come from socialist countries? What does that say about the system? Now apply that to every other field the government would be responsible for overseeing.

This is the exact same reason why the aviation industry has historically been a financial disaster - as long as you are guaranteed to be okay, you don't try. It has only taken four decades to partially fix the first four decades and there is still a long way to go.

As has been mentioned repeatedly, the US's days of middle class prosperity were accompanied by a tax rate of 50-70% on the ultra wealthy. These days, "tax cut" bills are all about taking from the poor and giving to the rich, socialism for the wealthy. Maybe, just maybe, the oligarchs who control our country have pushed Americans too far and this yearning for the old days of taxing the rich is a byproduct of that.

2122M

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Wacker1000 wrote:

Begs the question, what is the cutoff? In your mind, how big does a county have to be for it to be ‘too big’ for higher taxes to pay for more social services?

VTKillarney

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Jouhou wrote:

As has been mentioned repeatedly, the US's days of middle class prosperity were accompanied by a tax rate of 50-70% on the ultra wealthy.

As has been mentioned repeatedly, nobody paid that.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

As has been mentioned repeatedly, the US's days of middle class prosperity were accompanied by a tax rate of 50-70% on the ultra wealthy.

You know what we are subsidizing now? Private jets. https://www.businessinsider.com/private ... ple-2018-3

Thanks GOP. The middle class struggles to make ends meet and you're subsidizing this shit.

PPVRA

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:06 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

In addition, some places in Europe had that in the 70s and thereabout, and they were a total disaster.

Miss Hugo Chavez might be young like Obama, but she doesn’t have the brains.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

PPVRA

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 pm

Jouhou wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

You know what we are subsidizing now? Private jets. https://www.businessinsider.com/private ... ple-2018-3

Thanks GOP. The middle class struggles to make ends meet and you're subsidizing this shit.

That article is ignorant of tax law. What is described is not even remotely close to a subsidy.

BN747

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Being a Bronx native

Take it up with wikipedia...see the part starting with 'born'...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria_Ocasio-Cortez

BN747

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:14 pm

PPVRA wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

That article is ignorant of tax law. What is described is not even remotely close to a subsidy.

I don't think you get it. And if you don't own a private jet yourself you should be angry. Either that or you like being slave labor for the "job creators".

I'm not tolerating this foolishness anymores. Just because you've been brainwashed into self destructive beliefs doesn't mean you should be dragging the rest of us down with you. BTW I'm not preaching for socialism, on the contrary I'm saying we need to stop taking wealth from the poor and giving it to the rich

PPVRA

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Jouhou wrote:
PPVRA wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I don't think you get it. And if you don't own a private jet yourself you should be angry. Either that or you like being slave labor for the "job creators".

I'm not tolerating this foolishness anymores. Just because you've been brainwashed into self destructive beliefs doesn't mean you should be dragging the rest of us down with you. BTW I'm not preaching for socialism, on the contrary I'm saying we need to stop taking wealth from the poor and giving it to the rich

You obviously don’t get squat that article has published, partly not your fault because the article itself has bungled the explanation.

Trump’s alteration to the law is merely one of timing of when those deductions are allowed to take place. Those deductions have always occured, only they had to be distributed over a number of years. What Trump allowed is for all of this deduction be taken in the year the aircraft if purchased, all at once.

This was first called accelerated depreciation, and Trump dialed the accelerated up to full and immediate.

It simplifies the law, it gives economic benefits, and it doesn’t cost the government a single penny in tax revenue.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:36 pm

PPVRA wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
PPVRA wrote:

You obviously don’t get squat that article has published, partly not your fault because the article itself has bungled the explanation.

Trump’s alteration to the law is merely one of timing of when those deductions are allowed to take place. Those deductions have always occured, only they had to be distributed over a number of years. What Trump allowed is for all of this deduction be taken in the year the aircraft if purchased, all at once.

This was first called accelerated depreciation, and Trump dialed the accelerated up to full and immediate.

It simplifies the law, it gives economic benefits, and it doesn’t cost the government a single penny in tax revenue.

That does not give "economic benefits", at least not the kind that do any good for the rest of us.

The GOP should have opted for infrastructure instead, that would have generated benefits for everyone.

The one promise Trump made that made sense to everyone, he didn't follow through on. Just gave tax cuts to the wealthy.

PPVRA

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Jouhou wrote:
PPVRA wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

That does not give "economic benefits", at least not the kind that do any good for the rest of us.

The GOP should have opted for infrastructure instead, that would have generated benefits for everyone.

The one promise Trump made that made sense to everyone, he didn't follow through on. Just gave tax cuts to the wealthy.

It increases demand for capital goods, which in turn increases demand for labor = more jobs = less unemployment = up pressure on wages.

Of course, this is but one thing in a vastly complex economy. No one should expect this alone to fix everyone’s problems.