caliboy93
Topic Author

Coding and Obesity

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:50 am

So as admirable as the STEM movement may be for encouraging kids to code and develop apps, isn't that keeping them from being outdoors and playing? The negative health effects of too much screen time are well documented, and there isn't much incentive for a programmer to focus on nutrition like an athlete.

Airstud

Re: Coding and Obesity

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:53 am

caliboy93 wrote:
So as admirable as the STEM movement may be for encouraging kids to code and develop apps, isn't that keeping them from being outdoors and playing?

No.
Pancakes are delicious.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 am

It's currently 13 degrees F outside here, I don't think it's technology keeping anyone indoors. In fact, prolonged exposure to cold like that can be quite dangerous.

B777LRF

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:15 am

What's the difference between a programmer and somebody else working behind a desk? Why would a programmer be less inclined to go for a walk/run/swim than any other guy or gal sitting at a desk all day?
Signature. You just read one.

VTKillarney

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:25 am

Jouhou wrote:
It's currently 13 degrees F outside here, I don't think it's technology keeping anyone indoors. In fact, prolonged exposure to cold like that can be quite dangerous.

Not if properly dressed. I’ve spent many days skiing and snowshoeing in that type of weather.

I think the correct answer is that we should encourage BOTH inside and outside activities. The above statement doesn’t do that.

cpd

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:31 am

caliboy93 wrote:
So as admirable as the STEM movement may be for encouraging kids to code and develop apps, isn't that keeping them from being outdoors and playing? The negative health effects of too much screen time are well documented, and there isn't much incentive for a programmer to focus on nutrition like an athlete.

I work with computer stuff, sit behind a desk all day and I would be willing to bet that I’m leaner and fitter than quite a lot of others.

Just for your reference, I’m 175cm tall and 58kg right at the moment. I’ve ridden nearly 1000km on a bike so far this year.

One of my colleagues is a coder as well, he is also stupidly lean and fit. He runs and climbs mountains.

Maybe I’m not as fit as you, so perhaps I’m not qualified to comment, but I don’t see STEM affecting fitness. You can quite easily do that stuff and keep fit too.

csturdiv

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 am

I work for a software company and not much obesity in my company. There are about 5 teams that play in an indoor soccer league during lunch. Others play basketball and tennis during lunch. In our break room, there are sign up sheets for other sports. Our in house gym is always full and classes are hard to get into. The obese nerd stereotype is not true in my company (except for a few). We have tours from local schools, and even those kids and the student developers we get from local unis do not fit that stereotype either.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

fr8mech

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:49 am

caliboy93 wrote:

It's up to the parents to manage their kids' screen time. That screen time must be balanced against school-work and entertainment. My son's school related screen time is vastly greater than my daughter's was at the same grade level...and they're 3 years apart.

Neither one of my children are overweight, certainly not obese. Here's the kicker, I don't tell them what they have to do when they're off the screens. Neither one of the kids is overly athletic and both would rather sit in a chair and read or listen to music rather than work up a sweat.

Adults: well, it's up to the adult to make time to get a little active everyday.

Blaming a STEM curriculum for an obesity problem among the youth is ridiculous. The causes of that issue go well beyond school.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Zeppi

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

Jouhou wrote:
In fact, prolonged exposure to cold like that can be quite dangerous.

Eh, no. We have the same temps here and a metre of snow on the ground, so instead of mountinbiking like in summer I go cross country skiing for an hour or two before it gets dark every day. Long undies and one outer goretex layer will do just fine. Sometimes I even get so hot I take off the jacket, all whilst ice is forming on my eyebrows :lol:

Your job really doesn't matter, if you eat more energy than you spend you get obese/fat, simple as that. And there's always time to cook healthy and exercise for an hour every day, everything else is just finding excuses.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am

Zeppi wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
In fact, prolonged exposure to cold like that can be quite dangerous.

Eh, no. We have the same temps here and a metre of snow on the ground, so instead of mountinbiking like in summer I go cross country skiing for an hour or two before it gets dark every day. Long undies and one outer goretex layer will do just fine. Sometimes I even get so hot I take off the jacket, all whilst ice is forming on my eyebrows :lol:

Your job really doesn't matter, if you eat more energy than you spend you get obese/fat, simple as that. And there's always time to cook healthy and exercise for an hour every day, everything else is just finding excuses.

I have primary raynauds, it's important I avoid prolonged cold exposure. Ironically caused by repeated extreme cold exposure throughout my childhood. Just sayin, some of us northerners develop this as something like an allergy to cold. It gets worse with every exposure.

stratclub

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am

Obesity is a serious problem in many countries. Technology and social media are sucking the brains out of kids and people of all ages head's and is a contributing factor to obesity because of inactivity. Caloric intake VS calories burned. Do the math.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scie ... fat-costs/

Flighty

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 am

Obesity has a lot of socioeconomic factors. Well educated and higher income people (coders would fit generally into that category) tend to be fitter than the rest of the population. Yes, it is a sedentary job. But so is being an attorney. Or accountant. Some types of medical doctors sit down. It's a thing people do.

Now, 36 hour code marathons, that is pretty unhealthy. Or "code sprints."

lordlogan

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:31 am

I for one, somewhat agree with the OP. The greater transition to technology/STEM jobs (somewhat western viewpoint here), leads to a greater share of jobs involving sitting at a desk for at least 7.5 hours a day. While (and I include myself in this), it is possible to remain active, fit and healthy outside of these hours. The effect of having to be inactive for this long each day, is not healthy. Unfortunately, I don't think there is going to be much of a return to manual jobs, or a way of preventing this. The majority of jobs are becoming sedentary, and that is not going to change. The best thing is that we need to make desk jobs far more active. Promote regular breaks, such as short walks, stand up meetings, etc.

I sometimes do this, and despair at how easy it is to get up, drive to work, sit down all day, drive home and then sit down watching TV, then lie down to go to sleep. That is a day in which my heart rate will have barely made above 75% of my max HR.

cpd

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Flighty wrote:
Obesity has a lot of socioeconomic factors. Well educated and higher income people (coders would fit generally into that category) tend to be fitter than the rest of the population. Yes, it is a sedentary job. But so is being an attorney. Or accountant. Some types of medical doctors sit down. It's a thing people do.

Now, 36 hour code marathons, that is pretty unhealthy. Or "code sprints."

There is nothing wrong with a sprint. What is wrong is the person who allowed too many points in the sprint, requiring the devs to do superhuman efforts to keep the burn-down on target.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

Talk about stereotyping.

You can be sedentary and still be thin by keeping a balanced diet. You can be active and be overweight by not following a good diet. This has nothing to do with what you do or not.

I agree that many kids these days don't go out to play anymore, but if they're sedentary, blame the parents for not encouraging outdoor activities or balanced diets. When breakfast in the US is really eating dessert and we lower the nutritional guidelines for food, why are we surprised when the end result is obesity?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."