Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

When the cashier gives you too much change

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:09 am

what do you do?

It's a pretty rare occurrence these days for me to use cash instead of card/ApplePay or to interact with a cashier at all since self checkout is all over the place. In any case, did you ever receive too much change? Did you correct the fault?

I find my conscience lets me get away with pocketing such a bonus if it's under $5. One time in San Francisco I bought a bagel, banana, and an Odwalla juice from that little place on California Street near Drumm and it came to $3 or $4 something; I paid with a $5 but the lady gave me change as if I'd paid with a $20 (must have been force of habit since $20's were all ATM's gave out back then). I quietly shoved the extra $15 back across the counter and "confessed" that I'd given her a $5. I don't think I'd have been OK with myself if I'd scammed $15 cash from a small business - maybe not from any size business.

This comes up because I bought two bottles of Ocu-Vite at CVS on Friday night using my $5 coupon from the Sunday paper (plus buy two bottles and get $5 ExtraBucks, plus this week the 2nd bottle is 50% off, plus my ExtraCare card generated a coupon last week for $3 off any $10 eye/ear care purchase) and was surprised when the total came to merely $5.43 but I just skated out of there. Examining the receipt more closely tonight I notice the clerk ran the $5 coupon twice (and since I was buying absolutely nothing other than those two bottles of Ocu-Vite I am surprised CVS's normally Draconian coupon-validating scripts actually allowed him to do that :boggled: ).
Last edited by Airstud on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pancakes are delicious.

Jouhou

Re: When the cashier gives you too much change

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:15 am

I correct their error. It falls on the cashier if their drawer is short.
情報

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:17 am

New Eddie Money song: "(I bought) Two Bottles of Ocu-Vite."
Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 am

Airstud wrote:
what do you do?

Point it out if I notice.

Once I got a mile away and realized she had given me a 50 and not a 5. I turned around because I figured it would come out of her paycheck. Another time, it was an extra dollar and I had already gotten home. I just let it be.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aviationaware

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:16 am

Depends on the amount. If it's under a dollar or other chump change I won't bother. If it's more I point it out to them.

bennett123

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 am

Ethics 101

Point it out.

seb146

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:54 am

So many transactions are done electronically, no one notices. Who can make change anymore? I have tried to teach some kids but they just don't get it. "Use a card" they say. If the machines are down and all you have is a $20 to pay for $9.68 worth of goods, what then?

I had a paper route, as we did back in the day, and I had to collect every month. I made the wrong change once. And only once.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am

who uses cash these days?

When I do occasionally use cash I just it it in my pocket and don’t bother checking. If I did receive to much I would notice until I clear my pockets at night, and I’d keep it regardless of the amount. I’m not wasting my time going back to hand it back.

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 am

H
DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:
what do you do?

Once I got a mile away and realized she had given me a 50 and not a 5. I turned around because I figured it would come out of her paycheck. Another time, it was an extra dollar and I had already gotten home. I just let it be.

This is just another example of how screwed up the US is. In NZ or Norway the staff member would not be made to pay, mistakes happen; now if it was happening all the time with one particular employee that would be a different story.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 am

Kiwirob wrote:
H
DocLightning wrote:
Airstud wrote:
what do you do?

This is just another example of how screwed up the US is. In NZ or Norway the staff member would not be made to pay, mistakes happen.

A number of American businesses operate with that philosophy. There's no law (beyond the usual robbery/larceny laws) requiring cashiers to pay cash for their mistakes.
Pancakes are delicious.

BartSimpson

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 am

My story from the other side of the fence:

I was a bank apprentice back in the days. In the little town where I was sent to and made responsible for the cash counter we had a supermarket. The owner would throw "money bombs" into the vault every evening. The next morning I had to count the money and credit it to his account. Every other time he had put the wrong number onto the deposit slip. So my almost daily routine was to cross the street and give him back 100 DM or request another 100 DM from him to match money and deposit slip. He never questioned my countings and always trusted me. I could have made a fortune out of his inability...

(Yes, I know - the SOP would have been that two people count the deposits but the two other employees in my little bank branch were too lazy. They also trusted me completely. That was the SOP in this bank.)

SQ22

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 am

Jouhou wrote:

Would do the same again.

VTKillarney

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

No serious Aliner uses cash. They use a card to get the points.

anrec80

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am

Does that even happen? I go to a store rather rarely, and even if I do - I just use Apple Pay. If they don't take tap (e.g. American Express in Canada - often you can use it by insert/swipe, but not tap) - I try to go to the places that do take Apple Pay.

anrec80

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am

VTKillarney wrote:

Haha = plus at least one here!

afterburner

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:43 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

+1! I get most of my frequent flyer program miles from credit card points, not from flying. :D

fr8mech

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:34 pm

Jouhou wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:
This is just another example of how screwed up the US is. In NZ or Norway the staff member would not be made to pay, mistakes happen; now if it was happening all the time with one particular employee that would be a different story.

In my working life, I’ve worked a register or drawer for 3 major retailers, and not one required the employee at the drawer be responsible if it didn’t balance at the end of the shift.

On to the question:

I point it out. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching. I don’t care if I’m at a big-box store or a locally owned establishment, I point out the mistake.

seb146 wrote:
So many transactions are done electronically, no one notices. Who can make change anymore? I have tried to teach some kids but they just don't get it. "Use a card" they say. If the machines are down and all you have is a $20 to pay for $9.68 worth of goods, what then?

Whenever I went shopping with the kids, I would ask them to “make change” in their heads after we paid. They also learned the concept of sales tax, and were able to calculate the total by the time we got to the cashier. In the odd event that I would pay with cash, I gave them a heads up as to how much I was going to give the cashier, and asked them what change I should receive.

Just because the technology is there, doesn’t mean the underlying principles are gone.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Jouhou

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:47 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:

In my working life, I’ve worked a register or drawer for 3 major retailers, and not one required the employee at the drawer be responsible if it didn’t balance at the end of the shift.

On to the question:

I point it out. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching. I don’t care if I’m at a big-box store or a locally owned establishment, I point out the mistake.

seb146 wrote:

Whenever I went shopping with the kids, I would ask them to “make change” in their heads after we paid. They also learned the concept of sales tax, and were able to calculate the total by the time we got to the cashier. In the odd event that I would pay with cash, I gave them a heads up as to how much I was going to give the cashier, and asked them what change I should receive.

Just because the technology is there, doesn’t mean the underlying principles are gone.

I only worked one place where you had to pay back with your own money. The place was run in a way that broke a lot of laws. Most large chain retailers will just fire you if it happens more than once in a while, unless you're actually stealing, in which case they have you on camera.
情報

coolian2

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm

If I even notice, I'll point it out.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

Dutchy

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Airstud wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
H
DocLightning wrote:

This is just another example of how screwed up the US is. In NZ or Norway the staff member would not be made to pay, mistakes happen.

A number of American businesses operate with that philosophy. There's no law (beyond the usual robbery/larceny laws) requiring cashiers to pay cash for their mistakes.

I think it would be against the law for employees to pay for their mistakes directly. Indeed mistakes happen, nobody is perfect. If you are an employee mistakes you make are for your employer, if you are an entrepreneur mistakes are or your own pocket.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

seb146

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Jouhou wrote:
fr8mech wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Kiwirob wrote:

On to the question:

seb146 wrote:

I only worked one place where you had to pay back with your own money. The place was run in a way that broke a lot of laws. Most large chain retailers will just fire you if it happens more than once in a while, unless you're actually stealing, in which case they have you on camera.

I'll be honest:

If a customer's total is $9.68 and they give me $20.03, I draw a blank and it takes longer. I get there in a back-door and long process. Sometimes, they would say "just give me the change" and leave.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Tugger

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 pm

To the people saying the cashier has to make up the difference.... WRONG! There is no requirement for that and it would be illegal.
With the said, a short (or over) till is bad, and can/will lead to termination. Consistent errors or even one huge one could get you fired of course. It's your job as a cashier to get it right and to keep the money right (but not your job to protect it if there is a threat). Take pride in your job, be mindful and get it right. It is not that hard. (I know, I did cashiering for something like the first ten years of working.)

As to incorrect change, I will always point it out if I notice it. Short or over makes no difference (and don't most of you point it out when it is short?). It is the proper thing to do.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

AtomicGarden

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:37 pm

I usually point out the mistake (just like I've been pointed out as a customer), but there was this time with my GF at a 7-11, it was early morning and we were going on a tour in Miami. Stopped by to get some snaks and water and after a block I realised the clerk had given me around 10 extra dollars! I wanted to turn around but my lady is a hellspawn and insisted we get going with our "tip".
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

VTKillarney

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Tugger wrote:
To the people saying the cashier has to make up the difference.... WRONG!

Tugg

I believe that it depends on the state. I’m not aware of a federal law that addresses this.

dfwjim1

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:37 pm

I live in the United States and a couple of weeks ago I ordered a couple of large pizzas and drinks from a local pizza restaurant using the app "Slice". When it asked for payment type I marked "cash" rather than credit card as I had cash on my person and did not want to use my cc. When I picked up the order I pulled my cash out and gave it to the cashier. She refused the money as she said the pizzas were paid for already; I protested and she insisted that the pizzas were paid for so I gave up and walked out of the pizza place with $50 worth of pizzas and drinks!

I am going to try the app again this week at the same place to see what happens.

Aesma

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm

I still use cash for small purchases, as cards are not always accepted, and NFC is hit and miss, then I have meal vouchers so I complete with change.

Euro bills have distinctive colors and various sizes so you can't really mix a 5 and a 50.

My change is usually in coins, I take a quick glance at what is given to me and if the 1€ and 2€ coins expected are there I don't bother checking the smaller coins. If there is one more coin I won't correct it either, if the mistake was bigger I would point it out.

I was in Vietnam recently and there are lots of 0s on their bills, on a couple occasions I or my travel companion were giving a 500 000 bill when the price was 50 000, the merchants immediately corrected us with some giggling, I was pleasantly surprised.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Tugger

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:06 am

VTKillarney wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I believe that it depends on the state. I’m not aware of a federal law that addresses this.

No way.

You are effectively saying theft happened and blaming the employee. Without proof. Who is proving that it was theft that happened? Mistakes in giving change is not theft. You can fire the person, you can give a warning etc. but you can't formally require a person to "pay for" a short drawer.

Not saying an employee who needs to keep their job wouldn't just do that rather then having a short drawer, just that you can't require it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

VTKillarney

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 am

Tugger wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

No way.

The issue is addressed here:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... 29554.html

Under federal law, the general rule applies: As long as the employee still earns at least the minimum wage after deductions, there's no rule against charging losses and damage to the employee.

This fact sheet from the Department of Labor says that it is only prohibited if the paying back would reduce wages below minimum wage:
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs2.htm

So a more accurate statement would be that federal law does not prohibit it so long as the employee is still paid minimum wage. I could have been a little more specific in that regard.

johns624

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
I'll be honest:

If a customer's total is $9.68 and they give me $20.03, I draw a blank and it takes longer. I get there in a back-door and long process. Sometimes, they would say "just give me the change" and leave.
I give pennies like that all the time so that I just get back "silver". What's so hard about it? It's just simple subtraction.

trpmb6

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

johns624 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I'll be honest:

I give pennies like that all the time so that I just get back "silver". What's so hard about it? It's just simple subtraction.

Worse, in most industries they just have to type it in as they received it anyways. It's only a problem if the person hands a 20 over, they enter the amount and hit tender.. then the customer says "oh wait, I have 3 pennies!"

mad99

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I live in the United States and a couple of weeks ago I ordered a couple of large pizzas and drinks from a local pizza restaurant using the app "Slice". When it asked for payment type I marked "cash" rather than credit card as I had cash on my person and did not want to use my cc. When I picked up the order I pulled my cash out and gave it to the cashier. She refused the money as she said the pizzas were paid for already; I protested and she insisted that the pizzas were paid for so I gave up and walked out of the pizza place with $50 worth of pizzas and drinks!

I am going to try the app again this week at the same place to see what happens.

Taking something without paying is theft. Maybe the owner will be glad to see you 

VTKillarney

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 pm

mad99 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Taking something without paying is theft. Maybe the owner will be glad to see you 

It's not theft if you tried to pay for the goods and your offer to pay was rejected.

Kno

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:22 pm

I never use cash and if I do it's going to be for a cash only purchase which is usually something so inexpensive I don't even bother to check the change.

FatCat

Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am

not using cash would be nice in a world where every credit card transaction costs the retailer and the consumer a variable commission
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:35 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Plenty of people not living in First World countries...

I used to work as a cashier part time before going to university & I've had the experience of being short. Always had to cough up my own money, so whenever a cashier gave me too much change & I noticed it I would give it back pronto tonto.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

FatCat

Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I used to work as a cashier part time before going to university & I've had the experience of being short. Always had to cough up my own money, so whenever a cashier gave me too much change & I noticed it I would give it back pronto tonto.

So I'm not living in a first world country btw
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

mad99

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

China uses QR codes and Smart phones to pay for most things. Even the one eyed stinky tofu seller uses this tech for money transactions.

Kiwirob

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:26 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

How many a.net members live in countries where cash is still used for most transactions? I never use cash in Norway, here even beggars have wireless terminals.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:30 pm

mad99 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

The owner would have called .the cashier saw it was paid for, and maybe slice ha a way to go back and be charged. I would check the app and your card.

In my life , i have only seen a few incidents of this, and they are usually remedied up front. I thought I got to much change one time at a drive through for a 5 dollar purchase, but then I realized when I checked my wallet that I now had 2 10's and my 20 was gone.
Where ever you go, there you are.

FatCat

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

How many a.net members live in countries where cash is still used for most transactions? I never use cash in Norway, here even beggars have wireless terminals.

I did use cash for my daily shopping. It is ridicolous to pay 2 € for the breakfast at the bar, pay with the card and pay a 2% commission on the transaction.
plus, it will be impossible, because retailers here apply an overcharge on DC and CC transactions, again because of the commissions, and many of them do not accept payments with the card for charges under € 20,-
and also, I've been in Norway last year (in Odda) and I found that paying with CC (company's AE, personal VA) is quite difficult... many restaurants simply do not have the CC terminal.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

dfwjim1

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm

casinterest wrote:
mad99 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

The owner would have called .the cashier saw it was paid for, and maybe slice ha a way to go back and be charged. I would check the app and your card.

In my life , i have only seen a few incidents of this, and they are usually remedied up front. I thought I got to much change one time at a drive through for a 5 dollar purchase, but then I realized when I checked my wallet that I now had 2 10's and my 20 was gone.

Nothing on the App and credit card and the App does not have my CC on file. Don't have the time to follow up on this but if the pizza place and/or app people called me and asked for the money I would pay them immediately.

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:42 am

FatCat wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

I did use cash for my daily shopping. It is ridicolous to pay 2 € for the breakfast at the bar, pay with the card and pay a 2% commission on the transaction.
plus, it will be impossible, because retailers here apply an overcharge on DC and CC transactions, again because of the commissions, and many of them do not accept payments with the card for charges under € 20,-
and also, I've been in Norway last year (in Odda) and I found that paying with CC (company's AE, personal VA) is quite difficult... many restaurants simply do not have the CC terminal.

We don't pay commission on transactions in Norway. So why carry cash? There's only a couple of ATM's left in my town, cash is dying, just like the cheque.

I don't believe your comment about Odda, I've never been anywhere in Norway that does not accept cashless payments.

Aesma

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:54 am

There is no commission for customers using cards in France either, however there used to be a minimum amount you had to spend (often 10€), now it's going away, but it has hampered card usage for many years.

Another reason to use cash is privacy, I guess in China they don't know the concept so no concern there, and in Scandinavian countries they trust their government.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

notaxonrotax

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 am

Kiwirob wrote:

Noted!

Kiwirob wrote:
When I do occasionally use cash I just it it in my pocket and don’t bother checking.

Huh?

Kno wrote:
I never use cash

OK!

Kno wrote:
I never use cash and if I do

Huh??

The fact is, almost everybody handles cash now and then.
Even today, in 2019.

And when they give you back too much change....you report it. Simple.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am

notaxonrotax wrote:

Even today, in 2019.

No Tax On Rotax

Nope I'm keeping it.

I can honestly say I haven't used cash in Norway for at least 6 months. I did use cash last week in Liverpool, most taxis there don't take cards so it was a necessary evil.

Kno

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm

notaxonrotax wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Noted!

Kiwirob wrote:
When I do occasionally use cash I just it it in my pocket and don’t bother checking.

Huh?

Kno wrote:
I never use cash

OK!

Kno wrote:
I never use cash and if I do

Huh??

Even today, in 2019.

No Tax On Rotax

What’s all this “huh” about? You didn’t quote my full posting - the end where I said if I use it it’s for a small purchase. I’m not going to examine the change from my $10 purchase on the off chance that the cashier made a 50 cent mistake, it’s not a valuable use of my time.

Tugger

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
We don't pay commission on transactions in Norway.

Aesma wrote:
There is no commission for customers using cards in France either,

You two are silly! No commission.. HA! Of course there is a "commission". That commission is the interchange fee and there is a fee for a service and processing credit card payments is a service. The fee is just paid by the vendor in your case (and passed on in pricing) or the nation if the interchange is nationalized (and passed on in taxes). With that said the fees in France are regulated to something like .3%, so pretty low (however the merchants do pay a higher fee for the terminal rental and other elements, banks always work hard to make money...).

Per the EU:
Card-based payments have a growing share of retail payments, as do non-cash payments in both e-commerce and traditional commerce. There are different types of cards, according to their characteristics (debit and credit) and their holders (consumer and commercial). Card schemes are set up as four-party or three-party schemes providing a framework for schemes' fees and rules. Using cards for payments generates costs, which are distributed in the form of fees among the participants in the scheme. Interchange fees are designed to cover a portion of these costs and they are paid by the merchant's bank to the cardholder's bank, per transaction.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/e ... S_BRI(2015)549015_EN.pdf

What are interchange fees?
Each time a consumer uses a credit, debit or prepaid card to buy something in a shop or online, the bank serving the retailer (acquiring bank) pays a fee called 'interchange fee' to the bank that issued the card to the customer (issuing bank). As the retailer generally incorporates the interchange fees in the price charged to consumers the fees increase retail prices of goods and services. Thus, interchange fees are passed on to all consumers, even those who do not use cards but pay in cash.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/publica ... 003_en.pdf
So you don't see them, but you pay them somewhere.

https://www.valuepenguin.com/interchange-fees-na-vs-eu

This is an older article but it does discuss debit cards fees, but again due to the age costs noted have likely changed:
https://www.pymnts.com/business-wire/20 ... omparison/

Tugg

Aesma

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Well the price is the same cash or card so either I don't pay a commission on cards payments, or I pay it even when I give cash.

Tugger

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 pm

Aesma wrote:
Well the price is the same cash or card so either I don't pay a commission on cards payments, or I pay it even when I give cash.

Oh yes, that is true. Most everywhere nowadays. In fact for years the credit cards companies pushed for that to bury the cost and not have to have their customers, their patrons that used credit cards, have to bear the cost.

It is what it is. We all pay it now. I too tend to use my credit card more than cash, but I never want there to be a time where cash isn't an option. I would say I use cash about 10-15% of of the time.

Tugg

notaxonrotax

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Nope I'm keeping it.

I am not sure if "karma" exists as such, but if it does I`d be very worried if I were you.
No matter what subject over the past years and years on this forum, you always manage to choose the unsympathetic, apathetic and selfish side of the argument.
Good chance you are just a keyboard hero, no way near the "tough boy" as you appear to be on-line; but still: I would consider giving back a few coins that don`t belong to you; just to avoid issues for a cashier.

Kno wrote:

What’s all this “huh” about?

Huh?
It appears you don`t understand the word "never".
Not a problem, well at least it`s not my problem.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"