Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jouhou
Topic Author

Change my mind: make Trump look loveable

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 am

So I just posted this in another thread because I didn't feel it needed it's own thread. But the image got me thinking in the fleeting moment of endearment I felt while viewing this image, do his supporters view him as some sort of loveable everyman buffoon? Like Homer Simpson or something. I wondered if that feeling I felt is how they feel about him all the time...

(Trump treating guests to a banquet of fast food at the white house while the kitchen staff are furloughed)

If Trump fans have more images that can endear him to me, please share.
情報

TTailedTiger

Re: Change my mind: make Trump look loveable

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 am

Does Trump deserve a lot of the criticism he gets? Sure. Does he deserve all of the criticism he gets? No. The people who hate him are hypocrites. They don't say a word when one of their Democrat leaders does or says something vile or stupid.

Ok, here's a couple of examples of Trump being generous that I know about.

1) There was a a Jewish family with a very sick child that needed to be transported across the country. The airlines couldn't accommodate the child so Trump sent his own private jet to transport the child and the family.

2) A family in Georgia was about to lose their farm to foreclosure. Trump stopped the auction by paying off the mortgage for them.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:23 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Does Trump deserve a lot of the criticism he gets? Sure. Does he deserve all of the criticism he gets? No. The people who hate him are hypocrites. They don't say a word when one of their Democrat leaders does or says something vile or stupid.

1) There was a a Jewish family with a very sick child that needed to be transported across the country. The airlines couldn't accommodate the child so Trump sent his own private jet to transport the child and the family.

2) A family in Georgia was about to lose their farm to foreclosure. Trump stopped the auction by paying off the mortgage for them.

Hey, hey, no hate spew about "democrats", just Trump love here. I just really want to be able to relate to what his fans feel. Not going on the attack would make that easier for me.

If it makes you feel better, I will chastise and report anyone who uses this thread as a platform to attack trump or his supporters. We already have a kajillion threads where we fight about American politics.
情報

seb146

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 am

He got us to agree that CONSENTING adults paying for sex is not a big deal
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Jouhou
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 am

seb146 wrote:
He got us to agree that CONSENTING adults paying for sex is not a big deal

That's pushing the envelope a little bit, but I guess it passes because it's true.

I am looking for genuinely endearing things though. We already know we don't agree on the things Trump gets them amped up on, but I'm convinced that he must give his fans warm-fuzzys on things that aren't shocking enough to make news usually. I want them to show me some of that. I think heartwarming, adorable, silly, endearing things are pretty universal amongst us.
情報

tommy1808

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:32 am

Jouhou wrote:
just Trump love here.

Read "Fear"... despite all the hatred the book got from critics that obviously just read cover and quoted jucy bits, it makes Trump look quite human.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Jouhou
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:34 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
just Trump love here.

Read "Fear"... despite all the hatred the book got from critics that obviously just read cover and quoted jucy bits, it makes Trump look quite human.

Best regards
Thomas

Is it depressing or will it make me feel a little better serving my country under this administration? The latter is what I'm aiming for.
情報

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 pm

No pics, but here is a list to help out.

Trump enjoys petting kittens to impress women
Trump believes he could clean up fifth avenue even if no one cares
Trump enjoys golfing and eating McDonald's like many people
He has cleaned up his cabinet multiple times
Trump shows it is possible to show affection to multiple people.
Paying for affection is ok as well if both sides agree to it
Trump teaches kids it is ok to push for what you want.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Flighty

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 pm

I think he has accurately said that the American people should decide who is president, not the 2% bicoastal elite. The cool people hate him for this.

He also accurately said that the President has vast powers. He does not "need to learn from his advisors / let them run policy." Instead he informs his staff what the American people elected him to do, and he requires them to do it. Or he fires them, or more commonly they quit. But I see nothing wrong with it in theory. He is poor at execution, but he is asking the right questions and mostly saying the right stuff. Not saying it very gracefully though.

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm

if his family had lifted a finger and cooked for the guest, then maybe he would have the average person thinking twice about him and his family
but, he ordered from McDonald's because he's footing the bill. How is that lovable?

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:40 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/a-66-ye ... d-the-day/

actually he didn't pay off the mortgage, what Trump did if you read his book, or the article above. He bullied the bank by saying he was going to sue them, for murder. That what he claims, which is of course not possible to sue someone for murder. He claims that stopped the foreclosure, but all he did was split the payment on 30 day loan with help of another man that he didn't bother to name. That stopped the auction. in the meantime media accounts spread of the situation and other people came up with donations to pay the mortgage off. so while it was important that he got involved , he did not pay off the mortgage off personally as you claim

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Jouhou wrote:
But the image got me thinking in the fleeting moment of endearment I felt while viewing this image,

(Trump treating guests to a banquet of fast food at the white house while the kitchen staff are furloughed)

I understand this thread is not about attacking Trump, but the picture alone leaves me with more questions than answers. And the questions do not necessarily involve Trump directly.
1) How much did it actually cost this multi-billionaire (I'll accept a rough estimate based on.... 300 Burgers, approx 300 other boxed meals of some description, pizzas and lots and lots and lots of French fries.)
2) Why so many meals? His guests were the Clemson Tigers football team, plus I guess the back-room staff, coaches, etc etc. How many would that be? Enough to charter a 747 to fly them all to Washington? Or did they settle for a 10-hour ride on two buses?
3) He wasn't shy in telling everyone that he had paid for it himself, but the cynic in me wonders if it can be re-claimed out of White House expense funds? At the very least it must be tax-deductible. ( I have this vague recollection of Michael Douglas in The American President, having some difficulty using his own money whilst visiting a flower shop to buy a bouquet for his GF - I could be wrong)
4) Was this Trump's own idea, or was it suggested to him by an aide.
In terms of a photo-opportunity, he got way more than $3,000 value out of those burgers.

How much was this a case of Trump being genuinely nice, and how much was it just a photo-opportunity that had very little to do with him?
It should be possible to answer these questions without necessarily laying any blame (or credit) at the feet of Trump.
He doesn't exist in a vacuum, and others at the White House were almost certainly involved.

I genuinely do not know the answer, so please do not accuse me of attacking Trump. He might come out of this smelling of roses.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

tommy1808

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Jouhou wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
just Trump love here.

Best regards
Thomas

Is it depressing or will it make me feel a little better serving my country under this administration? The latter is what I'm aiming for.

Not depressing, makes Trump certainly more likeable, more human. The disfunction of the White House described however is downright scary. Any existential crisis and you are screwed. Sorry.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Flighty

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 pm

DLFREEBIRD wrote:
if his family had lifted a finger and cooked for the guest, then maybe he would have the average person thinking twice about him and his family
but, he ordered from McDonald's because he's footing the bill. How is that lovable?

I do not think Trump or first lady know how to cook. But Ivanka probably does, only because she probably made a point of learning to cook. She seems like an achievement oriented mom. If Ivanka cooked for the team, that might have been a good outcome.

McDonalds, not so cool. But it is surely against regulations to use that kitchen without all the usual procedures under the leadership of the white house kitchen staff.

It makes you wonder what the president is eating, and who is inspecting it.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Flighty wrote:
I think he has accurately said that the American people should decide who is president, not the 2% bicoastal elite. The cool people hate him for this.

He also accurately said that the President has vast powers. He does not "need to learn from his advisors / let them run policy." Instead he informs his staff what the American people elected him to do, and he requires them to do it. Or he fires them, or more commonly they quit. But I see nothing wrong with it in theory. He is poor at execution, but he is asking the right questions and mostly saying the right stuff. Not saying it very gracefully though.

What does this have to do with anything?

Ugh I give up, mods if you pass through just close the thread please.

The president isn't supposed to have absolute power over the country. Read the declaration of independence and remember why we abandoned our monarch overlords.
情報

salttee

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Watch out Flighty, she'll flag you if she doesn't like your posts.

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:57 am

As a Houstonian that lives in Colorado now but witnessed it first hand, I do have to say Trump's response to Hurricane Harvey was excellent.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TTailedTiger

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:29 am

There's a saying about compromises. If both sides hate it then it's probably a good one. That's how I feel about our president. Both Democrats and establishment Republicans hate him so I see that as a good sign. The Republican establishment is made up of awful people like G W Bush and Mueller. Same old thing every time. Trump is a visionary and actually listens to the people. He doesn't really have any friends and has no group to protect. That's why people are afraid of him.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:52 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Trump is a visionary and actually listens to the people.

This statement here. From the perspective of people like me, we see the absolute opposite.

I was aiming for you guys to show me the things that made you guys feel this way about him. I've seen some analyses show that those of us who dislike Trump are being too... analytical about it and those who like Trump are "feeling" not analyzing. So I was wondering if there was a way to "feel" it so I could understand.

Also not gonna lie, the abusive hate mail I'm getting from a fellow Trump hater over this thread is at least giving me some perspective on why you guys act so defensive all the time. I've never gotten such mean spirited shit from Trump supporters.
情報

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 am

As far as campaign promises are concerned, he has held true to most of them:

Trade war with China, check
Defeating isis, kinda check
Pulling out of Syria, check
Wall, he's holding firm
Making NATO countries contribute more money, not entirely sure if successful but he's tried for that
Re do NAFTA, check

Whether or not these are good things are good or bad is not the point, the point is he has/is doing what he said he would.

I also like what he's done with North Korea and believe Obama would have gotten flack from the GoP like Trump got from the Democrats.

And banning bump stocks is good in my book also.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Aesma

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:37 am

He promised to get good deals, not wars.

Whether the trade war with China leads to a good deal is yet to be determined. There was an opportunity to unite with allies, at least European ones, to go after China, but instead Trump has also attacked Europe, as a result China is actually refocusing on Europe and might not even need a deal with the US.

Pulling out of Syria is not done at all.

NATO, aside from a few shared assets, that AFAIK have not changed, there is no such thing as "contributing money" to it. Countries spend money on their own defense, and if that has increased it's mainly because Russia is flexing its muscles, and because Trump is proving unreliable. It's not to appease him at all.

Redo NAFTA so its 99,99% the same, check indeed.

Cold Big Macs and fries, ew !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Jouhou
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 am

Aesma wrote:
He promised to get good deals, not wars.

Whether the trade war with China leads to a good deal is yet to be determined. There was an opportunity to unite with allies, at least European ones, to go after China, but instead Trump has also attacked Europe, as a result China is actually refocusing on Europe and might not even need a deal with the US.

Pulling out of Syria is not done at all.

NATO, aside from a few shared assets, that AFAIK have not changed, there is no such thing as "contributing money" to it. Countries spend money on their own defense, and if that has increased it's mainly because Russia is flexing its muscles, and because Trump is proving unreliable. It's not to appease him at all.

Redo NAFTA so its 99,99% the same, check indeed.

Cold Big Macs and fries, ew !

NATO members do have to pay into a funding pool, which is how Iceland is in NATO- they pay a lot extra for NATO protection. I have no idea if the members that don't have adequate money invested in their militaries have to pay extra, but I think when NATO was founded there were a few details missed (like not being able to kick members out).

That said, Trump is 100% talking about the percentage GDP each country is investing in their military.

But hey, you're right, our lack of reliability as an ally IS scaring Europe to up its defense investments, but it's really not a good thing if it's because we are scaring the shit out of them (in your case I guess that's "you").
情報

Jouhou
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:49 am

Also I'm going to ask mods to kill this thread, it's been a bit of a train wreck and I can't lock/delete it myself.
情報

aviationaware

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 am

Jouhou wrote:

I am looking for genuinely endearing things though.

I love him because he is the ultimate troll. Anything that gets the establishment morons riled up is good, and man does Trump deliver.

Also it does help that Trump's policies make actual sense and he delivers on them instead of just talking.

Those are two very endearing things.

He's not flawless but then, who is?

notaxonrotax

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 am

TWA772LR wrote:

Pulling out of Syria, check

That is a bit of stretch.

Just like his "deal" with North Korea, a lot of noise; loads of bla bla.....but with very little ACTUAL achievement.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

stratclub

Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:47 am

aviationaware wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I am looking for genuinely endearing things though.

I love him because he is the ultimate troll. Anything that gets the establishment morons riled up is good, and man does Trump deliver.

Also it does help that Trump's policies make actual sense and he delivers on them instead of just talking.

Those are two very endearing things.

He's not flawless but then, who is?

Being a buffoon might get him impeached which I find very endearing. If B and H had got in for another 8 years as Mr. and Mrs. President, they would not be impeachable because they know how to play the system with cold blooded precision. That thought is some pretty scary stuff.

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:08 pm

This thread contains much of the discussion in existing topics, so please continue the discussion there.

✈️ atcsundevil