MaverickM11
Topic Author

Steve King removed from committees due to white supremacist comments

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:33 pm

GOP punishes Steve King for saying the quiet parts out loud, not fooling anyone:

"Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King was removed from his House committees Monday in the wake of comments he made last week about white nationalism and white supremacy.

“Leader McCarthy’s decision to remove me from committees is a political decision that ignores the truth," King said in a statement Monday night. He also said on Twitter that his "freedom of speech" was under "unprecedented assault."

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy of California said Sunday he would take action after King told the New York Times: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” "

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 572042002/
E pur si muove -Galileo

VTKillarney

Re: Steve King removed from committees due to white supremacist comments

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:12 pm

This is an appropriate consequence and validation that the Republican party takes these matters quite seriously.

Rep. King has a right to freedom of speech. He does not have a right to be on any committees.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 pm

I can't wait until the GOP senate takes actions on Trump. Until then, this action against Steve King is purely a PR stunt.
His tweets from the other day to Senator Warren, and a host of those found here would serve as easily more indefensible than Steve King.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 985438002/
Where ever you go, there you are.

dmg626

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm

casinterest wrote:
I can't wait until the GOP senate takes actions on Trump. Until then, this action against Steve King is purely a PR stunt.
His tweets from the other day to Senator Warren, and a host of those found here would serve as easily more indefensible than Steve King.

What did he tweet to warren, that’s shes a wanna be Indian?

2122M

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Steve King has been spouting this stuff for years. I can't believe how blatant and overtly racist he had to be to finally cross the GOP red line of too much racism. Anyone applauding the GOP for taking this step really needs to be ashamed of the GOP for A) waiting this long and B) only removing him from committees, not demanding his full resignation.

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 pm

2122M wrote:
Steve King has been spouting this stuff for years. I can't believe how blatant and overtly racist he had to be to finally cross the GOP red line of too much racism. Anyone applauding the GOP for taking this step really needs to be ashamed of the GOP for A) waiting this long and B) only removing him from committees, not demanding his full resignation.

Strom Thurmond was a celebrated Senator - and an unabashed racist. I don't recall Strom being removed from any committees. So the evidence we have is that the Republicans are taking this quite seriously. Certainly more seriously than the Democrats have set for a precedent. I know that people love to be divisive in this country, but it would be nice to see everyone recognize something good when it happens. In this case, the Republicans acted swiftly and appropriately.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:38 pm

dmg626 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

There is a lot wrong with your statement, but go read what Native Americans had to say.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/na ... baf540636f
"“We condemn in the strongest possible terms the casual and callous use of these events as part of a political attack,” said Jefferson Keel, president of the National Congress of American Indians. “Hundreds of Lakota, Cheyenne, and Arapaho people lost their lives at the hands of the invading U.S. Army during these events, and their memories should not be desecrated as a rhetorical punch line.”"

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:

Strom Thurmond was a celebrated Senator - and an unabashed racist. I don't recall Strom being removed from any committees. So the evidence we have is that the Republicans are taking this quite seriously. Certainly more seriously than the Democrats have set for a precedent. I know that people love to be divisive in this country, but it would be nice to see everyone recognize something good when it happens. In this case, the Republicans acted swiftly and appropriately.

Let's continue the good works and censure Trump as well.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
the Republicans acted swiftly and appropriately.

:rotfl: Oh god my sides hurt. Swiftly with the alacrity of the pitch drop experiment.

VTKillarney wrote:
Strom Thurmond was a celebrated Senator - and an unabashed racist. I don't recall Strom being removed from any committees.

A creature of Jim Crow not punished? Ya don't say. :roll: Did you pull a muscle on that reach?
E pur si muove -Galileo

2122M

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
2122M wrote:

Strom Thurmond was a pre civil-rights era senator. So, yes. The current racist party in Washington is a tiny, tiny bit less racist then the southern democrats were 55 years ago.

Is that the victory you are looking for?

MSPNWA

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 pm

So I, the public, have two choices. I can either believe that NYT accurately portrayed King's comments, or I can believe King's assertion that his comments were misconstrued (he's given his explanation of how it was).

Hmm, tough choice here. I can either trust the known biased liar that produces fake news and would be expected to demonize King at every chance possible, or I can believe King. Yep, going with the NYT on this one.....

2122M

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:47 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:
Strom Thurmond was a celebrated Senator - and an unabashed racist. I don't recall Strom being removed from any committees.

A creature of Jim Crow not punished? Ya don't say. :roll: Did you pull a muscle on that reach?

It was as close as he could come to "But... But... But.... Hillary!!". In this case it was "But... But... But.. Strom Thurmond!" Which is, as you pointed out, hilarious and sad.

WingsFan

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:15 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
GOP punishes Steve King for saying the quiet parts out loud, not fooling anyone:

"Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King was removed from his House committees Monday in the wake of comments he made last week about white nationalism and white supremacy.

“Leader McCarthy’s decision to remove me from committees is a political decision that ignores the truth," King said in a statement Monday night. He also said on Twitter that his "freedom of speech" was under "unprecedented assault."

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy of California said Sunday he would take action after King told the New York Times: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” "

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 572042002/

Good riddance. At least Senate GOP did what they reasonably could. Ultimately the fate for Steve King lies with the voters of his district. While I am not happy it took this long for this happen, it must be because GOP has to overcome huge inertia to punish offenders to extreme right. Dems are probably swifter , but they too have inertia to react to offenders at extreme left of the political spectrum.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:15 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
So I, the public, have two choices. I can either believe that NYT accurately portrayed King's comments, or I can believe King's assertion that his comments were misconstrued (he's given his explanation of how it was).

Hmm, tough choice here. I can either trust the known biased liar that produces fake news and would be expected to demonize King at every chance possible, or I can believe King. Yep, going with the NYT on this one.....

Or you can read King's encyclopedia Britannica of similarly racist comments going back years. Nah it's probably a C-O-N....spura-C.
E pur si muove -Galileo

mbmbos

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Warren is, indeed, a Native American. Please do not use the term "Indian" as in "wanna be Indian." That's offensive and it's racist.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

OA412

Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
In this case, the Republicans acted swiftly and appropriately.

No they didn't. Steve King has been a vocal racist for years. It took him asking why it is a bad thing to be a Neo-Nazi, member of the KKK, other hate group, etc. for them to actually do anything about it. They have yet to do anything meaningful about the President's racism, so no, the GOP didn't act swiftly and appropriately.

MSPNWA wrote:

This is cult-think. Actual, cult-think. There's ample evidence out there, from Steve King's mouth to prove he's an unabashed racist.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

VTKillarney

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:31 pm

I could understand the points being made about Strom Thurmond if he was around in 1956. But he was a Senator until his death in 2003. That is an AWFULLY long time during years of greater enlightenment to address his deep seeded racism.

So, yes, in the context of what the Democrats have done (err... not done), the Republicans have acted quite exemplary. Hopefully this will be a lesson to the Democrat Congressmen on how to properly deal with racism within the ranks.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
I could understand the points being made about Strom Thurmond if he was around in 1956. But he was a Senator until his death in 2003. That is an AWFULLY long time during years of greater enlightenment to address his deep seeded racism.

So, yes, in the context of what the Democrats have done (err... not done), the Republicans have acted quite exemplary. Hopefully this will be a lesson to the Democrat Congressmen on how to properly deal with racism within the ranks.

Exactly what are you trying to say here?

Strom switched to the GOP in 1964. Right after the Civil rights act went into place.

Flighty

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm

I dunno. There is a correct point to be made that all cultures are valuable, including the cultures that King's ancestors came from. I think if we limit to that statement, that "western civilization" is not a term that should legitimately offend anyone, that is fine.

If he is going further and praising bad people, that is another thing. However, for him to "refuse to condemn" people who the New York Times identifies as "nationalists" and who the New York Times likens to Hitler, perhaps he just doesn't share their editorial view. That doesn't make him a Nazi.

He still may be one, but I am not seeing a crystal clear example that he is. He is definitely pro-life, and that is a platform that voters vote on, and it is not itself "offensive speech" to be pro life.

Bottom line, he was unwise (and careless) to construct a sentence that seems to condone white supremacy. And if he literally meant he condones white supremacy, let that stand. Did he? Probably not - he was listing names of demonization, then he went off on a tangent - not a comprehensive comment - to contest the very last one, the idea that "western civilization" can be used as a term of demonization.
Last edited by Flighty on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winginit

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Legitimate question: in what way are the comments that Steve King is finally getting in trouble for any different from what Donald Trump has said while in office?

dmg626

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm

mbmbos wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Warren is, indeed, a Native American. Please do not use the term "Indian" as in "wanna be Indian." That's offensive and it's racist.

It’s not racist, it’s a common term, get over it. I drive thru the Indian reservation when I leave my city, should I stop and ask if they can re name it the Native American reservation to help guilty white people sleep better at night?

seb146

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Enough with the "but... but... but... DEMOCRATS!!!" because Democrats are not racists like this. We deal with our racism from minute one. We don't let it sit and fester and grow. Stop it. Just stop it.

This is about the Republican party and their racist ways. Doing nothing for decades about the subtle racism until one man says something and the Republican party decides to do something about that one man.

To paraphrase another poster from a different thread: comments by this one man proves that the entire Republican party is racist.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

2122M

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm

VTKillarney wrote:

Thurmond was a Republican as of 1964 (55 years ago).

But you knew that, didn't you?

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:12 pm

casinterest wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Strom switched to the GOP in 1964.

I'm confused - what exactly just happened there?
Did VTK fumble the ball, or did he manage a safety?
Did he forget which team he was playing for?

I'm fairly certain you scored a slam-dunk? :rotfl: :rotfl:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

2122M

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Flighty wrote:
I dunno. There is a correct point to be made that all cultures are valuable, including the cultures that King's ancestors came from. I think if we limit to that statement, that "western civilization" is not a term that should legitimately offend anyone, that is fine.

If he is going further and praising bad people, that is another thing. However, for him to "refuse to condemn" people who the New York Times identifies as "nationalists" and who the New York Times likens to Hitler, perhaps he just doesn't share their editorial view. That doesn't make him a Nazi.

He still may be one, but I am not seeing a crystal clear example that he is. He is definitely pro-life, and that is a platform that voters vote on, and it is not itself "offensive speech" to be pro life.

Bottom line, he was unwise (and careless) to construct a sentence that seems to condone white supremacy. And if he literally meant he condones white supremacy, let that stand. Did he? Probably not - he was listing names of demonization, then he went off on a tangent - not a comprehensive comment - to contest the very last one, the idea that "western civilization" can be used as a term of demonization.

You want to defend Steve King?:

“We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies,” - King arguing for segregation, an end to immigration and an end to interracial marriage in one quote. Very efficient racism there.

Mr. Wilders has called Islam “not a religion,” said the Quran was “worse than Mein Kampf,” and called for the closing of mosques. Steve King praises these comments and Mr. Wilders for "having the guts to speak out"

“The idea of multiculturalism, that every culture is equal — that’s not objectively true" - aka, whites are better then non-whites.

“Cultural suicide by demographic transformation must end.” - basically calling for segregation here...

Steve King recommends 'The Camp of Saints" Have a flip though that book and tell me if a non-racist would put it on their 'must-read' list. It's not exactly Eat, Pray, Love.

“Mixing cultures will not lead to a higher quality of life but a lower one.” - Again, very big into the segregation

“I don’t want people doing my pork that won’t eat it, let alone hope I go to hell for eating pork chops.” - promoting discriminatory hiring practices.... nice...

“This narrative should be imprinted into everyone’s brain. When you are importing people, even importing one single person, you are importing their culture.” - more segregation talk

He endorsed Faith Goldy, and know neo-Nazi for mayor of Toronto. Why he's endorsing anyone for a foreign mayorship is beyond me

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

Hmm, tough choice here. I can either trust the known biased liar that produces fake news
You've thrown me - what's Trump got to do with all this?

MSPNWA wrote:
Yep, going with the NYT on this one.....
Not just the NYT, it's most mainstream media, at home and abroad. So good choice. :bigthumbsup:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22020849
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Flighty

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Good, I am glad you added that. Am I defending him? No, I am defending you. It takes real quotes. Let him say what he believes fair and square. And it turns out, he did. The NYT comments are not among his worst. I think he crossed the line with the multiculturalism and Islam comments.

This is all a spectrum. Certain statements are ok, some area a grey area and some are clearly bad. I don't agree that we need to condemn grey area comments. That weakens us, not them. That's all I am saying. It turns out King said lots of stuff clearly over the line so there you go.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22020849

Yes, that article does confirm that the BBC is covering Steve King's removal from key responsibilities. It definitely 100% confirms the NYT reporting on Rep. King. However, the devil is in the details.
Last edited by Flighty on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LMP737

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

Congratulations, you can repeat what you read on the net without bothering with the actual facts.

Here's an article from that liberal rag TWS outing his bigotry, last year.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/adam-rub ... e-election
Last edited by LMP737 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

DocLightning

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm

MSPNWA wrote:

The New York Times has been the American newspaper of record for over a century. While they, like any newspaper, have made their goofs, the NYT's brand is based on being the epitome of responsible and reliable journalism.

If you are saying that the NYT is known for lying and producing fake news, then the problem isn't the NYT. It's you.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mbmbos

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 pm

dmg626 wrote:
mbmbos wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

It’s not racist, it’s a common term, get over it. I drive thru the Indian reservation when I leave my city, should I stop and ask if they can re name it the Native American reservation to help guilty white people sleep better at night?

Because you say so? How about showing respect when Native Americans ask not to be called Indians? Is that too difficult for you, to show common courtesy and respect?

Grow up and get over yourself.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Flighty

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:31 pm

doc, if you have worked even in a college newspaper, you can read the headlines of the NYT as simply an intimate psychology portrait of 5-6 individual people in New York. But that's about it.

A lot of articles aren't even news, and they don't even claim that it is. It is called "news analysis," aka essay writing.

My favorite gambit of theirs is "how to think about X." This is often in the news section!!

They have the capability to do strong news reporting, but not the guidance and discipline to make it count. You have to have standards; they don't. YMMV

einsteinboricua

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
This is an appropriate consequence and validation that the Republican party takes these matters quite seriously.

I disagree. King has always made statements (veiled or direct) about the subject.

I'm glad the GOP is taking action, but it begs the following questions:
1. What took them so long?
2. Will they apply the same standard to every Republican member of the party (up to and including Trump)?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

NIKV69

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm

When the CBC cuts ties with Farrakhan the Democrats can be outraged. I find it hysterical that they can be outraged over King yet attend a Farrakhan speech and take pictures with him.

Works both ways doesn't it? Why is it right to want King gone yet Maxine Waters can support the same stuff coming from someone else?
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
When the CBC cuts ties with Farrakhan the Democrats can be outraged. I find it hysterical that they can be outraged over King yet attend a Farrakhan speech and take pictures with him.

Works both ways doesn't it? Why is it right to want King gone yet Maxine Waters can support the same stuff coming from someone else?

This is false logic.
Steve King said racist things and was condemned for it. Farrakhan is not in Congress.

NIKV69

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 pm

casinterest wrote:

This is false logic.
Steve King said racist things and was condemned for it. Farrakhan is not in Congress.

No it isn't. Members of the democratic party who are sitting in congrerss are seen attending speeches by and taking pictures with a person who has said things far worse than King. If you are going to condemn something it has to be condemned by everyone. Not just someone you want out of congress because he isn't in your party.

casinterest

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

This is false logic.

No it isn't. Members of the democratic party who are sitting in congrerss are seen attending speeches by and taking pictures with a person who has said things far worse than King. If you are going to condemn something it has to be condemned by everyone. Not just someone you want out of congress because he isn't in your party.

The GOP would have to toss out their whole membership.They have stood next to Steve King for 16+years, and enabled Trump.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:03 am

NIKV69 wrote:

Like clock work you can always count on the folks that made Nazis great again and white supremacists “very fine people”, all while dog whistling that Jews are behind violent illegal immigrants pouring over the border to trot out antique non factor Farrakhan. Do you really want to go down the road of all the people Republican Congress critters have taken photos with? Just the ones Trump alone has stood next too would fill up a Medellin jail.
E pur si muove -Galileo

VTKillarney

Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Like clock work you can always count on the folks that made Nazis great again and white supremacists “very fine people”, all while dog whistling that Jews are behind violent illegal immigrants pouring over the border to trot out antique non factor Farrakhan. Do you really want to go down the road of all the people Republican Congress critters have taken photos with? Just the ones Trump alone has stood next too would fill up a Medellin jail.

I don’t understand why people insist on making this a party issue. Supporting, and giving exposure to, racists is wrong, whether it’s Farrakhan or a Congressman. The Women’s March just learned this lesson the hard way.

DeltaMD90

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 am

It always annoys me when people point to the other party for something they did like 70 years ago, or even further back like during the Civil War. Party switching or not, what is the point? Probably 98% of the population back then had beliefs I'm sure almost everyone in America would be against.

Who cares if Lincoln was a Republican or what party was more racist in 1950..... It's 2019. I'm sure those progressive, liberty loving Republicans were against things like interracial marriage, ok with segregation, beat unruly children, ok with the removal and killing of Native populations, etc. If those are your ideals then fine, bask in the glory of a party 150 years ago

As for the matter at hand, gotta be thankful for Twitter. Seriously, how stupid are people? Why do they even use Twitter? Do they gain much out of it? Most the time I hear Twitter brought up is when someone tweets out something asinine and gets in trouble for it. Good for the public I guess

Thought I'd finally see a thread where we could all agree on something but LOL what was I thinking?

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 am

One more question: does Steve King really believe what he is saying, or he is just a nasty mega troll?

seb146

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:51 am

VTKillarney wrote:
I don’t understand why people insist on making this a party issue. Supporting, and giving exposure to, racists is wrong, whether it’s Farrakhan or a Congressman. The Women’s March just learned this lesson the hard way.

Because King was elected as a Republican by people in Iowa, even knowing his racism.

https://americasvoice.org/blog/gop-fed-up-steve-king/

Farrakhan was not elected to Congress so that is not even the same thing.

VTKillarney

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 am

seb146 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

So, as long as they are not a Congressman, it’s okay to support and give exposure to a racist like Farrakhan? I’m struggling to see the logic there.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 am

I was asking IA-4 voters before the election why this embarrassment keeps getting voted in. They just hate democrats that much, but apparently aren't aware of how important PRIMARIES are for this situation. Like, seriously, how hard would it have been to just replace him with a Republican that didn't say insanely awful things.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:25 am

Dieuwer wrote:
One more question: does Steve King really believe what he is saying, or he is just a nasty mega troll?

I've seen enough video of him to say it's a combination of the two things. He was alt-right before the alt-right existed. He probably has some sort of mental illness to be like that though. It's not normal, that's for sure.

seb146

Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:20 am

VTKillarney wrote:
seb146 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

So, as long as they are not a Congressman, it’s okay to support and give exposure to a racist like Farrakhan? I’m struggling to see the logic there.

Electing an open racist over and over and over is completely different from "Republicans say that speaker makes racist statements so we need to hate him". I am sorry you can't see that. It is on you.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 am

seb146 wrote:
Because King was elected as a Republican by people in Iowa, even knowing his racism.

So you have to be elected to congress for your racism to count? Are you for real? Do you really believe this constant partisan hogwash you type? Racism is racism. If you want King out then you have to call out the people that support Farrakhan or anyone that says or exhibits racism. I mean for Pete's sake man!

LMP737

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Do you really believe this constant partisan hogwash you type?

Pot meet kettle.

NIKV69 wrote:
Racism is racism

It seems you don't have that much of a problem with King because at no point did you condemn what he said. You went straight for the indirect defense of him.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:38 pm

VTKillarney wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Sure in Narnia that makes sense, but back in reality, Steve King did not appear in a vacuum. As long as his party continues to make racism a bedrock principle, it will continue to sprout Steve Kings all over the place, up to and including the President.

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

So you have to be elected to congress for your racism to count? Are you for real? Do you really believe this constant partisan hogwash you type? Racism is racism. If you want King out then you have to call out the people that support Farrakhan or anyone that says or exhibits racism. I mean for Pete's sake man!

Does this include the President or do you just trot out Farrakhan when you are faced with the transparent reality of your party's embrace of racism for decades on end. Because no one is buying it... What are you going to do when he dies?

VTKillarney wrote:
seb146 wrote:
VTKillarney wrote:

Of course you can't see the logic because you're a moderate. :rotfl: Let me help you: one has been regularly elected to congress multiple times, reflecting the values of his party and President, while one is a fringe nutjob that is totally irrelevant. Do you really want to go down the road of whataboutism when Republicans have associated with a veritable constellation of fringe nutjobs, including the President who literally said nazis/white supremacists are 'very fine people'?

NIKV69 wrote:
Racism is racism

It seems you don't have that much of a problem with King because at no point did you condemn what he said. You went straight for the indirect defense of him.[/quote]
You knew it was coming a mile away. It just reaffirms the GOP's "punishment" of King is not because they believe white supremacy/nationalism is bad, but because he said the quiet parts out loud.
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E pur si muove -Galileo

2122M

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I feel you brother. I mean, the Dems haven't even floated the idea of removing Louis Farrakhan from the congressional committees he sits on. What a bunch of feckless cucks, right?

In other news, the Democratic national committee did pull its support of the Women's March over the Farrakhan issue from what I understand.

910A

Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Editorial from today's Des Moines Register: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 581889002/

Not that King has seemed particularly interested in working for his district in recent years. Instead of holding town-hall meetings with his constituents, King spent many congressional breaks globe-trotting to Europe and hobnobbing with hard-right, nationalist leaders.These meetings apparently served to reinforce his own warped views of cultural purity and immigration.

King has often made Iowa a laughing stock on the national stage with his offensive and absurd remarks about undocumented immigrants, comparing them to dogs or disparaging them as drug mules with calves the size of cantaloupes.

Some may argue that 4th District voters are getting what they deserve. But the entire state needs a healthy rural economy, including in King’s district, to grow and thrive. President Trump’s tariffs are a drag on farmers already buffeted by five years of low commodity prices. Iowa needs all of its delegation members working together to push for policies that will help.

The last paragraph is related to him losing his seat on the house agriculture committee.